WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lets talk Lights

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
To go with my outta date theme.. Used to be you wanted these gigantic Hella's on the front of your quad for desert riding, with a rewound alternator etc.. etc..

For Duning the billet "lazer stars" (small lights) had just come out and they were all the rage.

In all the pics I have seen on UTV's I haven't seen one of those little Billet lights.. (which is what I was originally considering for the Teryx) So I'm going to go out on a limb and assume people aren't using them for a reason.

I'd like to know what the reason is though if someone knows..

So I've looked into the rigid industry LED's.. and I'm not paying over a grand for a light. I'm sure their bitchen etc.. etc.. but that's a lot of money for a vehicle that might run 60mph on a good day. In other words I don't think I"ll be outdriving even so/so aftermarket lights in it.

What lights do you run? How do you like them? Around how much do they cost?

and is it just me.. or as soon as the "UTV" coems in front of it are these companies tripling the price tags on everything or what?

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
To go with my outta date theme.. Used to be you wanted these gigantic Hella's on the front of your quad for desert riding, with a rewound alternator etc.. etc..

For Duning the billet "lazer stars" (small lights) had just come out and they were all the rage.

In all the pics I have seen on UTV's I haven't seen one of those little Billet lights.. (which is what I was originally considering for the Teryx) So I'm going to go out on a limb and assume people aren't using them for a reason.

I'd like to know what the reason is though if someone knows..

So I've looked into the rigid industry LED's.. and I'm not paying over a grand for a light. I'm sure their bitchen etc.. etc.. but that's a lot of money for a vehicle that might run 60mph on a good day. In other words I don't think I"ll be outdriving even so/so aftermarket lights in it.

What lights do you run? How do you like them? Around how much do they cost?

and is it just me.. or as soon as the "UTV" coems in front of it are these companies tripling the price tags on everything or what?

RD

Those Lazer stars were good about 5-10 years ago. Seems like everyone is going HID these days.

Lik eyou have found out you can go from mild to wild in the price department. Since you havent figured out the whole cage deal yet I would do a hid on each of the front pillars. You could easily make a bad ass billet mount.

Do a search for the Kragen HID's. Alot of people have had very good luck with them (not Vic...lol) and the price is right. ($around $100 each)

2 will be a good start and then if and when you upgrade your cage you can buy 2 more and throw on a light bar.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I have 3-4" Baja Designs Fuegos on my front bumper. They are very expensive but a friend (Thanks again Dan) got me a pretty good deal on them. They're bright enough for me. But if I was gonna do it over I'd probably put 4 of the Chinese 7" Kragen Hids on a light bar. They work great for the price. Unfortunately they weren't out when I bought mine.

Attachments

• IMG_1289 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1289 [800x600].JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 263

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Dave I am going to do a light bar and the Kragen Kandles too.
Right now i have a Yellow Top Optima in the stock location, and have a generic parts store qick disconnect on it so I can plug in the charger when needed. The stock stator is weak, and I am avoiding pulling the Muzzys off to put a hopped-up stator in until I can no longer avoid it.
Ultimately I want to put an Odessy between the frame rails under the hood, and power the lights and stereo off of it.
You are right on the money deal.
I think UTV is the buzzword for ohv's like Corvette is for Chevy.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I have 3-4" Baja Designs Fuegos on my front bumper. They are very expensive but a friend (Thanks again Dan) got me a pretty good deal on them. They're bright enough for me. But if I was gonna do it over I'd probably put 4 of the Chinese 7" Kragen Hids on a light bar. They work great for the price. Unfortunately they weren't out when I bought mine.

I've got (4) 4" Fuego HIDs on my Rhino. I don't like the beam pattern, they're all spot-type beams. I wish two were spot, and two were driving/flood. But they're bright and do the job.

I've got a lot of friends with the Kragen lights. They are great for the price, nice beam pattern :thumbsup

Dave - HIDs draw less power than halogens, LEDs even less. For a 660 Rhino, that's the main issue - drawing more power than your stator is putting out. Rhino 700's put out good power...not sure about the Teryx, though. I have no idea what they put out for electrical power.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
4th vote for the kragen HIDs, got them on my truck and love them...
________
HONDA INSPIRE

Last edited:

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Had mine since 08...still work like new:thumbsup...Don't buy the 4incher(like vic did):rolleyes:
new lights4.jpg

new lights on2.jpg

hid1.jpg

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Wow that is nice.
My weak memory says the 08 (what I have) teryx has a 290 or 390 watt stator, and the HO aftermarket units are 500.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I've got (4) 4" Fuego HIDs on my Rhino. I don't like the beam pattern, they're all spot-type beams. I wish two were spot, and two were driving/flood. But they're bright and do the job.

I've got a lot of friends with the Kragen lights. They are great for the price, nice beam pattern :thumbsup

Dave - HIDs draw less power than halogens, LEDs even less. For a 660 Rhino, that's the main issue - drawing more power than your stator is putting out. Rhino 700's put out good power...not sure about the Teryx, though. I have no idea what they put out for electrical power.

I've got 2 floods and 1 spot and thy are great. Probably should have just gone with 3 floods though.

Attachments

• Rhino HID's 003 (Medium).jpg
    Rhino HID's 003 (Medium).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 218

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Kragen HID's! I have 4 on the front of my truck and I pretty much beat the hell out of my truck and they are still good. Over a year old now too.

Btw, the MSRP on those bad boys is now right at $130 a piece for the 7"ers. They realized they were selling the crap out of them so they bumped the price. The have what they call a "Euro" beam pattern which is pretty much just oval in shape. Nice mix between Flood and Spot patterns.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
all i did is put in the hid factory replacement kit. took 10 minutes to put in. i aimed them up a little bit and its all i needed, they are bright! the guy is easy to deal with and they have a lifetime warranty. i know cause a bulb broke(kinda my fault) and he sent me a new one no questions asked.

http://stores.ebay.com/BURKE-Moto-Pros

sean

Reaction score
dave, if you run lights on the rex you will want the alternator kit from utv crap (on sale) or you can run a optima battery and make sure its charged before night rides. i have 4x 7" hid's with the stock lights below and it makes it great at night. doing the hid upgrade to the factory lights is a good start but to run at speeds you might want more light.
on the hid kits, go with a quality kit not the cheap one. i did the cheap one and had issues. i think the ones squirt bought are a better product.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
dave, if you run lights on the rex you will want the alternator kit from utv crap (on sale) or you can run a optima battery and make sure its charged before night rides. i have 4x 7" hid's with the stock lights below and it makes it great at night. doing the hid upgrade to the factory lights is a good start but to run at speeds you might want more light.
on the hid kits, go with a quality kit not the cheap one. i did the cheap one and had issues. i think the ones squirt bought are a better product.

Another trick is to run your HIDs and keep your stock lights off. Our entire crew runs the Kragens. With a coupon we paid $84 for them before they raised the price.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
all i did is put in the hid factory replacement kit. took 10 minutes to put in. i aimed them up a little bit and its all i needed, they are bright! the guy is easy to deal with and they have a lifetime warranty. i know cause a bulb broke(kinda my fault) and he sent me a new one no questions asked.

Only bad part about swapping out the stocks is when you drive at night in your neighborhood (or the Keys) you blind everyone.:)

sean

Reaction score
ya the blinding thing is kinda an issue

Pushnwood

Reaction score
alternator kit is a must, switch out stock headlights to HID's. Another vote for the Kragen HID's. ,for the money you can't go wrong. mount them on a lightbar on top(not front bumper).All that should cost around $1100 ,when your out on a night ride it will be worth every penny +.

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
Like said before.................it's all about amp draw. HID's put out more lumens with less amp draw than a halogen light which is a must when dealing with a weak charging system. As far as LED's vs HID's, check the Lumens & amp draw between the two. I think the HID's are a little more efficient.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
I run Vision X 6" HID's on the Rhino and now the Jeep and they are nice but if I were to do it over I'd go with LED's. We put the 40" bar on my buddys buggy and Holy Shit it's the best all around light from actually running at night. They sell them in different lengths I think you could do a couple of 6" or 10" LED bar's from Rigid for less...the 40" is way overkill for a sxs. The Kragen HID's work but with the price increase I say go LED's. Call rigid and work a deal....I think Micheal (Magic34) has a friend he could hook you up with at Rigid. In the long run I think you'll be happier with the LED's and they run forever and take a lot of abuse.

Just my slighty expensive opinion.

Chris

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
I run (3) 6.5" Vision X HID's and stock replacement HID's. I didn't want to deal with the light bar deal up top if I ended up getting a Toy Hauler. This setup works well.

If I were to do it now I would go with LED light bars instead.

There is a guy on GlamisDunes.com that sells plug and play HID replacement kits with a lifetime warranty for like $100.

2251Rhino_updates_017.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Only bad part about swapping out the stocks is when you drive at night in your neighborhood (or the Keys) you blind everyone.:)

not me, i have a road height and an off road height. takes 2 seconds to adjust.

pronstar

Reaction score
As far as LED's vs HID's, check the Lumens & amp draw between the two. I think the HID's are a little more efficient.

I thought LED's were more efficient?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
For the money the Kragans are the way to go.
For a spell they were no longer available, but I see them back on the shelves now.
You can get them at Wall Mart too.

I had to install, or thought I had to install an additional alternator on the rzr to keep up with the increased electrical draw. In other words, make the low battery idiot light go out.

Changing out the Motorcycle style battery with an Optima really fixed the issue, didn't really need the alternator. But the guy I sold the Rzr too was ecstatic about the alternator.

Wife and I have family skull sessions. "Teamwork talk" as she calls it.
We came to the conclusion that the fatalities, and serious accidents in our riding group mostly happened at night,, so we no longer go riding at night.

Hence,, all the lighting up grades for the Rzr S are sitting in the box on a shelf in the garage.

The only other tip I can add is get the sand proof switches from UTV Crap.
They are cheap, and fantastic and essential IMHO.
13100PRODUCT.jpg

Alicewithmap.jpg

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

The leds don't take a surge to fire like an HID and if you look at the Rigid or Vision X stuff, they have less amp draw per lumen.

Ok Dave, just start with the HID headlight replacements. That will probably be suffecient for just about anything you ever want to do. Everything else is just extra, and will obviously help, but the headlights will be plenty.

Then decide what else you want to add and how you want it to look. If your gonna build a light bar on your roof for round style lights, then the Checker lights are the best deal going.

Those little oval lights on my old Rhino, were Eagle Eye hid's, they were 600 bucks but they were small and very bright.

I have a Vision X led on my rzr. What I like about it more than anything is the color. For some reason, and I don't notice it until it's on, the HIDs are bright, but the blueish tinge to them isn't as effective as the color of the LED. Take it for what it's worth, but I think at night I can see better with the HID's off and the LED on by itself. I don't know why?????

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score

I was under the impression that the HID's put out more Lumens per amp than the LED's. I have been known to be wrong..........on very rare occasions:rolleyes::D
It sounds like outdrive1 has done more research than me and FWIW I looked into the LED's early on when they first came out.

My wifes RZR has stock lights with 2 4" Kragens. I take it out at night in Glamis all the time. I would like to upgrade the stockers to HID's though.

On my buggy I've got 4 6" Acro HID's down low. I 86'd the 4 6" Acro's on the roof because I absolutely cannot stand looking though those "beams of light" pointing down from the roof especially when there is dust & sand in the air, I can't see shit:grumble:

I'm waiting for LED light bars to come down in price before I buy one as I think they are going for top dollar cause it's the "latest thing"
JMHO;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Thanks for the link Brian. :)

dave, if you run lights on the rex you will want the alternator kit from utv crap (on sale) or you can run a optima battery and make sure its charged before night rides.

Obviously.. I mean we're dealing with UTV's here. You can't just buy one thing and have it work.. you gotta buy the one thing, and then buy something else to make it work. :D (This is the most nickel and dime industry I've ever had the pleasure of working with.. LOL)

For the money the Kragans are the way to go.
For a spell they were no longer available, but I see them back on the shelves now.
You can get them at Wall Mart too.

I had to install, or thought I had to install an additional alternator on the rzr to keep up with the increased electrical draw. In other words, make the low battery idiot light go out.

Changing out the Motorcycle style battery with an Optima really fixed the issue, didn't really need the alternator. But the guy I sold the Rzr too was ecstatic about the alternator.

Wife and I have family skull sessions. "Teamwork talk" as she calls it.
We came to the conclusion that the fatalities, and serious accidents in our riding group mostly happened at night,, so we no longer go riding at night.

Hence,, all the lighting up grades for the Rzr S are sitting in the box on a shelf in the garage.

The only other tip I can add is get the sand proof switches from UTV Crap.
They are cheap, and fantastic and essential IMHO.
13100PRODUCT.jpg

Alicewithmap.jpg

Ross, if you got that stuff sitting on a shelf in your garage, and aren't going to use it. Let me know if you want to sell. You might as well get your money back, instead of me giving it to someone else.

RD

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
The leds don't take a surge to fire like an HID and if you look at the Rigid or Vision X stuff, they have less amp draw per lumen.

Ok Dave, just start with the HID headlight replacements. That will probably be suffecient for just about anything you ever want to do. Everything else is just extra, and will obviously help, but the headlights will be plenty.

Then decide what else you want to add and how you want it to look. If your gonna build a light bar on your roof for round style lights, then the Checker lights are the best deal going.

Those little oval lights on my old Rhino, were Eagle Eye hid's, they were 600 bucks but they were small and very bright.

I have a Vision X led on my rzr. What I like about it more than anything is the color. For some reason, and I don't notice it until it's on, the HIDs are bright, but the blueish tinge to them isn't as effective as the color of the LED. Take it for what it's worth, but I think at night I can see better with the HID's off and the LED on by itself. I don't know why?????

Good HID's do not have that blue tint to them. The Kragen ones do. Also, the stock replacement hid's are great but I'd be leary about it if you were gonna drive on the streets at night. They are bright and may catch the attention of the po po. Just a heads up.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Brian. :)

Ross, if you got that stuff sitting on a shelf in your garage, and aren't going to use it. Let me know if you want to sell. You might as well get your money back, instead of me giving it to someone else.

RD

I may turn out for some of the Dumont summer morning and evening rides and may use them then.
Thanks for the offer RD :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the HID's put out more Lumens per amp than the LED's. I have been known to be wrong..........on very rare occasions:rolleyes::D
It sounds like outdrive1 has done more research than me and FWIW I looked into the LED's early on when they first came out.

My wifes RZR has stock lights with 2 4" Kragens. I take it out at night in Glamis all the time. I would like to upgrade the stockers to HID's though.

On my buggy I've got 4 6" Acro HID's down low. I 86'd the 4 6" Acro's on the roof because I absolutely cannot stand looking though those "beams of light" pointing down from the roof especially when there is dust & sand in the air, I can't see shit:grumble:

I'm waiting for LED light bars to come down in price before I buy one as I think they are going for top dollar cause it's the "latest thing"
JMHO;)

I've read conflicting articles on both. The consensus is that the HIDs do put out more lumens per watt and amp. The Leds are more durable and last (supposedly) 20 times longer.

I think you get more light in a better package with an led light bar than with HIDs. What I mean is, if your buying a new cage, and you wanted lighting across the top, you can build a light bar with guards around your HID set up. They can still be broken, they will most likely be higher than the cage. Maybe you'll need to fold them down to fit in a toyhauler. If your putting on an LED bar, you don't really have to add anything to get it to mount on the bar of your cage. You can angle foward so it really doesn't take up any extra hieght. I think the install is easier in the end.

It's still double the cost anyway you look at it though.

Here's something I noticed when I had multiple HIDs, if your voltage is low, or you fire more than one light at once, there's a chance one or more wont fire up. The Led doesn't fire like the HID so far it has always turned on.

Good HID's do not have that blue tint to them. The Kragen ones do. Also, the stock replacement hid's are great but I'd be leary about it if you were gonna drive on the streets at night. They are bright and may catch the attention of the po po. Just a heads up.

Yeah, my old set of Eagle Eyes weren't nearly as blue as my stock replacements. Since these are UTV crap 100 dollar stock replacements, I'm sure they are the cheapest bulb you can buy.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Not to mention you can shoot an LED with rifle and they don't stop working, they really are "bullet proof", lol.

[video=youtube;-B5DLyDICtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B5DLyDICtc[/video]

[video=youtube;CZPDQrrZLWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZPDQrrZLWY&feature=related[/video]

Flat Broke

Reaction score
Dave,

Have you thought about rolling your own LED setup? You can duplicate what's out there, and since you can handle machining the housing and lexan shield, the rest is pretty simple electronics with the currently available LEDs, reflectors, and drivers out there.

Superdave and I both looked into doing em for MTB, but I got busy with other stuff and didn't have time or $$ to dink with it. SXS/vehicle setups are waaaaay easier than self contained MTB systems becuase you don't have to juggle battery size/weight/capacity/cost issues. If you go this route, you may want to talk to SD, as I've forgotten a little bit about driver configs etc.

Chris

Chris

D

Deleted Account

Baja Designs has an LED light also. I have windshield and headlight HID's, but I like the LED light better from the BD lights... I got a smoking deal on them.:thumbsup The pattern is great and they through light all over the place...

Attachments

• 100_9916 (Large).jpg
    100_9916 (Large).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 186
  • P1030832 (Large).jpg
    P1030832 (Large).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 174

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
Also, the stock replacement hid's are great but I'd be leary about it if you were gonna drive on the streets at night. They are bright and may catch the attention of the po po. Just a heads up.

I don't think they are any brighter than a car with factory xenon/HID lights. And as little as you'd actually be on the streets at night it shouldn't be a problem IMO.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I don't think they are any brighter than a car with factory xenon/HID lights. And as little as you'd actually be on the streets at night it shouldn't be a problem IMO.

We actually take a lot of drives at night on the street. Gotta get down to the bar somehow. :D

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
We actually take a lot of drives at night on the street. Gotta get down to the bar somehow. :D

I've driven with them and haven't had any problems yet. But I don't drive on the street a ton.

When are your snow birds out? Lets plan a trip and do some riding.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I've driven with them and haven't had any problems yet. But I don't drive on the street a ton.

When are your snow birds out? Lets plan a trip and do some riding.

They'll be gone early April. I'll be itching to get down there right away to go ride before it gets too hot.

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
They'll be gone early April. I'll be itching to get down there right away to go ride before it gets too hot.

My house is available...we could plan a trip and stay at my place. Brandin...you guys in? Getsome? (oh forgot you don't have any toys yet :fingers:) Might be a little tight but we could squeeze.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
My house is available...we could plan a trip and stay at my place. Brandin...you guys in? Getsome? (oh forgot you don't have any toys yet :fingers:) Might be a little tight but we could squeeze.

I'm ready. Starting after the 425 most of my weekends should be free.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

I'm ready. Starting after the 425 most of my weekends should be free.

You two yahoos should have some kids and see how fun you are....lol:D:skull

I would love to head out only issue is I cant really do a 10 hour ride in the dessert.If you guys are up for a little cruise around for a while and then back for pool,spa and bbq I'm all in:D:party2:

Dan you really need a queen in that 3rd room....lol:fingers::champagne:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave,

Have you thought about rolling your own LED setup? You can duplicate what's out there, and since you can handle machining the housing and lexan shield, the rest is pretty simple electronics with the currently available LEDs, reflectors, and drivers out there.

Superdave and I both looked into doing em for MTB, but I got busy with other stuff and didn't have time or $$ to dink with it. SXS/vehicle setups are waaaaay easier than self contained MTB systems becuase you don't have to juggle battery size/weight/capacity/cost issues. If you go this route, you may want to talk to SD, as I've forgotten a little bit about driver configs etc.

Chris

Chris

I hadn't thought about it, but now you have me thinking abuot it.. LOL I don't know enough about electronics to do it though. If someone else wants to volunteer up the Electronics knowledge, I'd be happy to make 2 sets of billet housings / lexan etc..

RD

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

I would love to head out only issue is I cant really do a 10 hour ride in the dessert.If you guys are up for a little cruise around for a while and then back for pool,spa and bbq I'm all in:D:party2:

Leave the chicks at the house with the kids and we'll go ride. :skull

Ivan Dan

Reaction score

The last few times we've been in Havasu we ended up doing 3-4 short rides for a couple hours and stopping in the middle to shoot guns or just chill on top of the hill by radio tower.

We could do a couple short rides with the girls and also one bonzai run with just the guys. See if your little MTS kits can keep up with the real LT. hahaha :skull

Pool, spa, BBQ, darts are guaranteed.

You don't like the Ricky/Lucy beds? We could push them together for you if that makes ya feel better. :thumbsup

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I hadn't thought about it, but now you have me thinking abuot it.. LOL I don't know enough about electronics to do it though. If someone else wants to volunteer up the Electronics knowledge, I'd be happy to make 2 sets of billet housings / lexan etc..

RD

I'm not helping...lmfao:D:skull:cool:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The last few times we've been in Havasu we ended up doing 3-4 short rides for a couple hours and stopping in the middle to shoot guns or just chill on top of the hill by radio tower.

We could do a couple short rides with the girls and also one bonzai run with just the guys. See if your little MTS kits can keep up with the real LT. hahaha :skull

Pool, spa, BBQ, darts are guaranteed.

You don't like the Ricky/Lucy beds? We could push them together for you if that makes ya feel better. :thumbsup

guns and baby eardrums huh...lol:D

Pick a weekend that your brother wont be there so I can have the back room...lol:skull

lets see how good that LT helps you when I nerf that awesome tin work......ask your bro I'm not skered(Rubbing is racing);):D

sean

Reaction score
here's my lights dave..:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• DSCF2352.jpg
    DSCF2352.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 145

phuggit

Reaction score
Another place to get HID headlight upgrades is jetoffroad.com. I ordered some for our Ranger, $125.00 for the set. Two year warranty, Sylvania bulbs and the ballasts are made in Japan not China.

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
www.kbrowncustoms.com sells HID conversion kits for $100 with lifetime warranty and he's a Glamisdunes.com member with a great reputation. I've bought several kits from him and he sells a great product and good customer service.

Make sure you tell him Ivan Dan refered you. :thumbsup

GET SOME

Reaction score
www.kbrowncustoms.com sells HID conversion kits for $100 with lifetime warranty and he's a Glamisdunes.com member with a great reputation. I've bought several kits from him and he sells a great product and good customer service.

Make sure you tell him Ivan Dan refered you. :thumbsup

X2 i bought hids for the duramax and after 2 years still working strong..

pronstar

Reaction score
Another place to get HID headlight upgrades is jetoffroad.com. I ordered some for our Ranger, $125.00 for the set. Two year warranty, Sylvania bulbs and the ballasts are made in Japan not China.

That sounds like a good deal.
It wasn't so long ago that the Japanese ballasts were a lot more expensive.