WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

License plate readers

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
From red light cameras and speeding cameras to this. My guess is if these people cannot pay for insurance what makes you think they can pay the stupid fine. I also imagine this will be coming to Commiefornia soon.

http://fox2now.com/2017/11/20/new-c...-plates-automatically-fine-uninsured-drivers/

Law enforcement agencies are turning to technology to stop a crime that they say is plaguing the state of Oklahoma, according to KFOR.

Studies suggest that one out of every four drivers in Oklahoma is uninsured.

"It affects everybody one way or another," said Tyler Loughlin, chief of operations at the Oklahoma Insurance Department, told News 4 in 2016. "If you get in a wreck, how are you going to get compensated for the medical expenses you incur?"

Last year, lawmakers approved a measure that would allow law enforcement agencies to use automated license plate readers to crack down on uninsured drivers. The license plate readers would compare their tags with a list provided by the Oklahoma Insurance Department.

This week, Oklahoma finalized a deal with Gatso USA to set up those license plate scanners on highways around the state.

"We all know somebody or has been somebody who has been in an accident with someone who doesn't have insurance," Sen. Corey Brooks said. "It causes a lot of issues, plus it raises everybody's insurance rates around the country."

Oklahoma Watch reports that the scanners will be able to detect uninsured vehicles and then mail owners a $184 citation. Drivers who pay the fee will avoid having a charge of driving without insurance on their permanent record.

If you don't pay the fine, the information will be sent to district attorneys for prosecution.

Gatso executives say they expect the system to issue about 20,000 citations a month, starting as early as next year.

The company will receive $80 of each fine for the first two years, but that will then drop to $74, according to a contract approved by the state. The company will receive $68 of every fine after five years of use.

The program will be overseen by the District Attorneys Council rather than police departments, and the district attorneys' offices are expected to receive millions in revenue from the citations.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to me. As for not being able to afford or more likely not wanting to buy Insurance they shouldn’t be driving in the first place.

Dana757

Reaction score
I was taken out by an uninsured driver. Found out the hard way the max AAA uninsured motorist coverage is 3.500.00.

spectras only

Reaction score
Here in BC we have a government controlled insurance corporation. Underinsured protection can be bought adding to the premium, albeit I don't agree, why do I have to buy it to protect myself against someone who doesn't give a shit. Take them assholes off the road and if they caught still driving repeatedly, throw them in jail, not slapping them with a small fine only.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Next thing you know the police will be allowed to use binoculars.:D

sailtexas186548

Reaction score
I'm all for strict enforcement, and heavy penalties for not having auto insurance. Cant afford it, ride a bike.

Hullbilly

Reaction score
I just don't like the gooberment doing anything like this. They always seem to drift the intended purpose to something else. And it is nothing more than revenue generation.

Slippery slopes abound these days.....

spectras only

Reaction score
Next thing you know the police will be allowed to use binoculars.:D
Guess what, the popo is using binoculars here, sometimes they're up in cherrypickers posing as linemen.They're mainly after people texting while driving. Apparently, third of fatal accidents involved in someone using their phones.

Using a hand-held cellphone while at the wheel or committing some other form of distracted driving comes with fines ranging from $500 to $3,000, ...

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
Guess what, the popo is using binoculars here, sometimes they're up in cherrypickers posing as linemen.They're mainly after people texting while driving. Apparently, third of fatal accidents involved in someone using their phones.

Using a hand-held cellphone while at the wheel or committing some other form of distracted driving comes with fines ranging from $500 to $3,000, ...

Good.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
So...no reason for them to GET insurance, since you can just pay the fine...using our tax dollars to line the pockets of the DA's office and a company supplying the cameras.

Tardtopia at work. For fucks sake could you at least take their plates or something? Pure fucking cash grab.

Stupid is as stupid does.

spectras only

Reaction score
So...no reason for them to GET insurance, since you can just pay the fine...using our tax dollars to line the pockets of the DA's office and a company supplying the cameras.

Tardtopia at work. For fucks sake could you at least take their plates or something? Pure fucking cash grab.

Stupid is as stupid does.
hey SBMech, are you new or something,hehe?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Govt run automated systems usually SUCK - especially when they use them for enforcement where no human (on the govt side) is used and immediately available for discussion....

LP Readers used to just read plates and report what is in the databases to a HUMAN LE to take action is quite different and appropriate.

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
I HAVE the answer, but the bleeding hearts don't want to hear it.. We can more or less kill 3 birds with ONE stone. Put out a contractor's list of the miscreants, and a bounty D or A , and we can make it a vocation , keep the Gooberment out of it, AND have fun target practicing, with pay....Smiley face.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I just don't like the gooberment doing anything like this. They always seem to drift the intended purpose to something else. And it is nothing more than revenue generation.
that's my concern, its not that enforcing insurance laws is bad and this would be a great way too do it. its just that I think this will lead too other things.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I'm all for strict enforcement, and heavy penalties for not having auto insurance. Cant afford it, ride a bike.

Sadly, no one asks us which laws should be more-stringently enforced than others...

RodnJen

Reaction score
I HAVE the answer, but the bleeding hearts don't want to hear it.. We can more or less kill 3 birds with ONE stone. Put out a contractor's list of the miscreants, and a bounty D or A , and we can make it a vocation , keep the Gooberment out of it, AND have fun target practicing, with pay....Smiley face.

The same for people that don't have health insurance?

Hullbilly

Reaction score
If only there was a gov’t system that took funds from hardworking taxpayers and funded those that don’t feel that taking care of themselves and their offspring. The gov could redistribute funds so the “ less fortunate” could; collect a “paycheck”, own nice cars, have a house, food, healthcare, auto ins, access to schools...all this without even looking for those workboots.......boy that would be grand! :confused:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Yeah, but if they did this in California, if you're an illegal alien they won't confiscate your car if you're uninsured if they're in an accident or some other traffic infraction. So this will only affect the LEGAL citizens of this state. The illegals are free to run wild with no repercussions.......

Justfishing

Reaction score
When can you get the next ticket. At what point do they impound the car for unpaid tickets. They better be moving them around as those without insurance will just change their route.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
The only solution is putting people in jail.

Impounding a $500 car because Buba didn’t want to pay $1000 for his yearly insurance isn’t going to work too well. I think even Buba would be smart enough to just go buy another $500 car who needs registration anyway.

Not saying it’s a good solution. But people who generally have no assets have nothing to lose other than their freedom.

Is orange county the only place were two vehicles get in a collision and all parties involved run and disappear into thin air?

SNiC Jet

Reaction score
Is orange county the only place were two vehicles get in a collision and all parties involved run and disappear into thin air?

Actually, Florida is pretty close to that concept by law....
Florida is a “No-Faultinsurance state as it relates to automobile liability insurance. ... Under Florida law, every motorist is required to carry a minimum of $10,000 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage to cover medical bills and lost wages they themselves incur because of an automobile accident, regardless of who is or was at fault...and the owner/drivers auto insurance covers the repair/replacement costs of damages to their own vehicles...
This sends Plaintiff Lawyers packing.....

rrrr

Reaction score
I have $300K in uninsured motorist coverage. It's about $140/yr.

There are a bunch of illegals in the DFW area, and the chances of one hitting me are unfortunately quite good.

Detroit and Philadelphia use LP readers to detect ticket scofflaws. When they get a hit, the vehicle is booted. If there's over $1K owed in fines, the vehicle is towed and impounded.

Here in DFW there are a few thousand people that owe over $10K in TollTag fines for blowing through the readers. There are about twenty that owe over $100K. There aren't any gates on the toll roads, just electronic readers and cameras.

No insurance, ignoring tickets, running toll plazas. Fuck all those people.

Fine the shit outta them and tow their cars.

Last edited:

lard ass

Banned
Reaction score
The only solution is putting people in jail.

Impounding a $500 car because Buba didn’t want to pay $1000 for his yearly insurance isn’t going to work too well. I think even Buba would be smart enough to just go buy another $500 car who needs registration anyway.

Not saying it’s a good solution. But people who generally have no assets have nothing to lose other than their freedom.

Not before the wetbacks showed up.