WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Loren '76 Brummett 22'

loren

Reaction score
Hello, Loren here, (57yo) from San Diego area. My power boating experience is limited to riding around w/ my older brother as a kid in the '70s (gawking at the girls and pretty motors) and maybe 150 hours of pulling my own kids around in circles on toys in the '90s with an 18' I/O-305 Chevy. My wife and I did have some fun travelling across Powell and upriver from Laughlin which is the type of thing I want to do with this now:

DSC07282.JPG

1976 Brummett 22', 460 Ford in the middle, 1:1 Velvetdrive straight back to prop.

Big bro who is the boat guy in the family picked it up cheap years ago, did some work, says it sucks too much gas/makes too much noise/and with all that is an underperforming dog, and handed it along to me since my eyes have always lit up every time I saw it in his yard, partly just because I like old stuff.

I think I can make it go. Mechanic experience, fabrication facilities I've got. I'll be having some tech questions related to basic dynamics later.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to RDP.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Hello, Loren here, (57yo) from San Diego area. My power boating experience is limited to riding around w/ my older brother as a kid in the '70s (gawking at the girls and pretty motors) and maybe 150 hours of pulling my own kids around in circles on toys in the '90s with an 18' I/O-305 Chevy. My wife and I did have some fun travelling across Powell and upriver from Laughlin which is the type of thing I want to do with this now:

View attachment 576395

1976 Brummett 22', 460 Ford in the middle, 1:1 Velvetdrive straight back to prop.

Big bro who is the boat guy in the family picked it up cheap years ago, did some work, says it sucks too much gas/makes too much noise/and with all that is an underperforming dog, and handed it along to me since my eyes have always lit up every time I saw it in his yard, partly just because I like old stuff.

I think I can make it go. Mechanic experience, fabrication facilities I've got. I'll be having some tech questions related to basic dynamics later.

I would like to see some more photos, but for setup information, best to call Carson Brummett in Pasadena.

loren

Reaction score
Thanks for comments...

I would like to see some more photos, but for setup information, best to call Carson Brummett in Pasadena.

Ya know...I never had the thought that shop and owner might still be there, then a couple days ago I was looking around at Google and sure enough, there it is marked on Maps. To actually go ask there still didn't occur to me until you mentioned it here. I had driven right by a week ago. If the man were still there and could fill me in on why it was setup the way it was that would be great. Well, next time...I'll give a call first.

One thing I have done is pick up an old v-drive unit for experimentation, everything I know about boats tells me the motor needs to go in the rear instead of in the middle for how I want to use it. And I believe that engine needs to be freed up a bit, breathing-wise, and could use some tuning work. That interior that's not there...another story. I'll get it worked out.

DSC07279.JPG

DSC07281.JPG

Front of boat is to the left:

DSC07286.JPG

Thoroughbred 10*, obsolete and noisy but in workable shape for $300. The prop shaft is at 13*

DSC07284.JPG

obnoxious001

Reaction score
That's going to be a heavy old boat, regardless of what you do to it. I am sending a link to this post to Carson. I honestly don't recall seeing this design, but in the mid 70's I was out of the Pasadena area for school a few years.

Dalton

Reaction score
pretty strange but I like it, kinda like something you would see in a marina in the ocean, looks strong

loren

Reaction score
For my limited experience I have had a lot of great times in boats...but two of my not-great ones were out on what my neighbor who we used to go out with called "big water", where wind/waves came up and where I was afraid my little 18' Marlin (a totally un-cool boat not acceptable for this site [:)] and also heavy for it's size) was going to get swamped in the stuff, a long way from anyone who could pick us out. I believe me and my wife who is not quite as adventurous as she once was are going to be happy in this, I know it's gotta weigh a bunch, the sides are pretty high for that and it could stand to look a little sexier at the dock but oh well, what I want in this case is to lay the miles down and see the far reaches of places. I will have to just sit there and be jealous of you guys with the real hot rods...

I've seen an old ad (possibly here) for a Brummett w/ this hull, except with a deck cap on it that looked like it was made to hook the custom van crowd at the time, i.e. room to party or crash inside and the helm was placed rearward a bit for that. It had a very high bow rail...this boat had the same rail, which got removed it for looks. (I'd like that bow rail back if the big brother still has it, but to re-fab much lower like just a couple inches up...maybe one of the daughters would want to get some sun out there or something sometime.)

If I wound up connecting with the folks who built this thing, that would be amazing.

73mandella

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. We have 4 in the family and looking at a 5th one.

View attachment 576395

obnoxious001

Reaction score
If I wound up connecting with the folks who built this thing, that would be amazing.

It's not that difficult, call Brummett Marine and see if Carson has time to chat. You are right about yours having the deck cut down from the "Blue Angel" that was in their ad. Lou Brummett pulled Butch Peterson to the win in the 1967 Catalina Ski Race with that one. Carson mentioned that 2 or 3 of these direct drive boats were built, but the V drive version would run around 65 mph.

Carson stopped building boats a long time ago, but usually will find some time to talk about them with you if you respect his time. He primarily builds engines now.

loren

Reaction score
Thanks for all encouraging comments. I really am jazzed about getting some actual work started.

When I first picked this up I was imagining pulling it to the lake in a '70 El Camino I have...how cool would that be...now I'm thinking that the boat alone weighs nearly as much as the Chevy does and that trailer is a whole 'nother thing, maybe not such a good idea...:D But again, for how I wish to use it, the weight and size are appropriate.

------------------------------

I can sit all I want and ponder prop position and thrust angles, engine placement and overall C/G, cavitation plate angle and effect, etc., all I find is that it's seeming to come down to intuition more than anything and I do not trust my intuition too much. Still I'm sure the direct-shot drive was probably for skiing or maybe the original purchaser just wanted to save a few bucks or something and I am imagining the forward weight is a significant part of what's slowing it down now. Just having a guy in-the-know telling me how far up from the transom the motor should -in this hull- actually go when flipped to a v-drive would be like hitting gold. Will get in touch w/ Brummett. -Loren