WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LR JK number II

LowRiver2

Reaction score
So, after owning the white JK for 4 days, the A/C blower unit went out and a bolt holding the AOE rear tire carrier fell off. The jeep was in the shop for a month, we took back our deposit, ended up with a stock 14' rubicon for $14K less than what we paid for the white 15'sport with goodies on it. The question was could we do the add ons ourselves for less (of course/lol).
Big thanks (like many others) to Cole Trickle for a lot of texts/calls on what we wanted to do with this jeep, what would work, and what would not. All of this in a 2 week time frame with me working most of it to boot. We (wifey and I) shopped around, and through friends, contacts, etc, saved from 15-50% on everything we put on it so far:thumbup: The wife thought it'd be good to put the lift on myself with her shop mechanic so I could have a better idea of what goes where when I break it/(she knows me well). Bro in law has a good friend at Currie, so went to the shop, took a tour, and ended up with a Rock Jock short arm 4" kit. I went with Rancho 9000's for shocks. I was apprehensive anything rancho would be close to decent but Currie has them adjusted to work well with their kits and I was surprised at how well they work so far. The install took my green horn (one prior pickup lift) experience two full days to install. I'd have rented/borrowed a shop with a lift if I ever did it again just to get off the damn ground/lol. I can say the instructions are pretty straight forward but putting the nuts on top of the rear coils was a major pain to do with adult size hands. There has to be a better way to get that part done. All in all, I'm glad I did do it myself and I'm impressed with the lift.

jkstock.jpg
1 stock rubi

jkbuild3.jpg
1 lift kit and shocks

jkbuild2.jpg
the launch of the install

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Here's some quick pics of the install. My younger bro in law completed the welds on the front and rear brackets.
I'd recommend anyone to take a tour of Currie's shop just to see how big they've become, what cool custom pieces they make, and how it all comes together for the finished product.

jkcurrieshop.jpg
Some custom 9" rears ready to ship during Currie factory tour
jkbuild1.jpg
Front coils/arms going in
jkweld.jpg
Brackets getting welded

LowRiver2

Reaction score
When it came to wheels, I was encouraged by CT to do something original. After looking around at many options, I chose the Method NV for several reasons 1. Currie recommended Methods/WE's or Gordons for wheels that are proven to handle rocks-truly harsh conditions. 2. CT taught me the NV has recessed lug nuts as to reduce chance I take one out falling off a rock sideways and shearing lug nuts. 3. I have Methods on my F350 and RZR, decided to go all in/lol.
When it came to the bumpers/tire carrier, I really wanted the Krawler Konceptz package, but I had no time/anyone to run to San Jacinto to get the parts. One of my connections had Warn products on the cheap and could get them in 24 hours, so, rest is history. The only order hiccup was wife ordered full over mid front bumper. It is her car/lol. I went with a Warn Zeon 8K winch, a little low on lb rating but I'm betting our conservative driving will equate to 8k being enough for us (time will tell). I went with Toyo Open Country M/T's for strong sidewalls as Parker/Mojave rocks are sharp SOB's. They are heavy, but after having them on my last two trucks, I am a big fan of them in Glamis sand and they do decent in snow.

jkfrontdone.jpg
Front end done
jkwheels.jpg
Wheel/tires
jkbumper.jpg
Front bumper/winch

So we made it to Parker for Tday week. Wife likes the ride, Steering is "brisk" but I understand that's what lifted JK's feel like. I am interested in any info. on ways to improve the steering to make it more user friendly on road, but it's not a bear to deal with either. Picked up a Pro cal to calibrate the tires/shift points, etc. I never thought a jeep with leather heated seats could be as capable off road as this thing is. The larger soft dirt/sand hills west of our park were no problem for the JK to climb with 4 adults aboard. Articulation is great as well. Under armor and an Spod are next on the list along with a 50" light bar for the roof.
And yes, while I enjoy the JK, I still am very happy I bought a RZR1K. In a word for that little thing: SUSPENSION. Take a ride in one when you have a chance. I couldn't bottom it out with four adults. It is a blast to drive:thumbup:
Apples and oranges, looking forward to getting the JK on some trails. We did everything for $4K less than the white sport and now have a better lift, better wheels/tires, and have a Rubi.

jkdone.jpg
Completed and at Earp
jkdonerear.jpg
Rear carrier
jkrzr.jpg
RZR when I need some wind in my face:thumbup:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Very cool. :thumbup: Looking great!

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Nice Jeep.. That upper retainer clip on the coils can be a real bitch. Took me at least two beers per side on my bronco:skull

I'm assuming you got 4:11's with the Rubi set up correct? Have you noticed a big difference with the low end power and did the reprogram of the shift pattern correct it?

GET SOME

Reaction score
Look at the synergy front end correction kit. It helps with the highway manners of a bigger lifted jeeps.

And cole trickle is great a spending people's money

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Nice Jeep.. That upper retainer clip on the coils can be a real bitch. Took me at least two beers per side on my bronco:skull

I'm assuming you got 4:11's with the Rubi set up correct? Have you noticed a big difference with the low end power and did the reprogram of the shift pattern correct it?

I got lucky and this one has 4.11"s. The programmer helped, but I've learned to do manual shift override when climbing grades as it shifts lower than what I think it needs. Low end power feels about same with the tuner.
I made a vow to not open beers till end of each day, then wife showed up with kids and that went out the window/lol. No beer on a lift install is a major fail on my part.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Look at the synergy front end correction kit. It helps with the highway manners of a bigger lifted jeeps.

And cole trickle is great a spending people's money

Thanks for info. Yeah, CT knows all the "good" stuff for sure. He was an asset in advising where I could cut corners on accessories and where not to.

GET SOME

Reaction score
Thanks for info. Yeah, CT knows all the "good" stuff for sure. He was an asset in advising where I could cut corners on accessories and where not to.

And drive a little faster and you will find the bump stops.. King make a great bolt in bump stop kit