WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NASCAR attendance, wtf

riverroyal

Reaction score
So i got free tix for next weekend in fontuckey. Flipping thru channels now and Phoenix is on place looks like its ar 25% capacity.
Last race i went to was sold out, think it was 15 years ago.
I dont see how they can sustain if it goes like this for very long.

4Waters

Reaction score
NHRA is going the same way, unfortunately. Kids just aren't interested in motorsports anymore, when I was a kid I couldn't wait to get my license and go 100mph for the first time, my top speed is 150-155 Speedo maxed at 150 and RPM's climbed about another 800.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
I think you're seeing the new empty grandstand section in the pic. its not open until the fall race.
I went to PHX last year, it was pretty full.
Also the November race seems to draw more fans because it's a Chase race. We just do the November race only and Fontana Autoclub in March. Race is Boring in Fontana but we have a great time in the infield camping

TCHB

Reaction score
I do not think kids like motor sports like in my time. Kind of like Tennis was a big deal in my time and now not too many play or follow the sport.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Phoenix only has 1 race in 2018 as Vegas picked up a second race in September. I am associated with M&M racing thru the sales side and we had decent turn out in Vegas two weeks ago at our mid week events but the driver signing at M&M world Thursday night was light compared to past years. This past week in Phoenix we did not do a signing but did have some good turn out at other events. With all that is happening in Phoenix with MLB and spring training there is a lot to do out there right now.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
Phoenix only has 1 race in 2018 as Vegas picked up a second race in September. I am associated with M&M racing thru the sales side and we had decent turn out in Vegas two weeks ago at our mid week events but the driver signing at M&M world Thursday night was light compared to past years. This past week in Phoenix we did not do a signing but did have some good turn out at other events. With all that is happening in Phoenix with MLB and spring training there is a lot to do out there right now.
Phoenix does have 2 races every year March and November. The November race is the 2nd to last race before Homestead Miami

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The best place to watch NASCAR is from your couch. II'v gone to a few races over the years... Good god were they boring to watch in person. Other than the restarts where the pack comes charging down the track. The beer is cheaper at home too...

Last edited:

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Like the NBA - the last 10 laps. The rest of it is worthless. Way too corporate - they aren't racing, they are negotiating. Get rid of the spotters, all the incar communication, and make the first three places pay, then we'll see racing

USClb41

Reaction score
I like that idea, been watching for years but it is getting harder to invest 4 hours in a race...I do like the road courses at the glen and Sonoma where they actually race each other

Reaction score
NASCAR revenue is much more than asses in the seats. They are doing fine financially.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
They change the dam rules and point system too often and it’s becoming more strategy than talent. The old school guys don’t drive anymore. Just young punks.

DWC

Reaction score
Like the NBA - the last 10 laps. The rest of it is worthless. Way too corporate - they aren't racing, they are negotiating. Get rid of the spotters, all the incar communication, and make the first three places pay, then we'll see racing

Like this a lot. They should have added or converted to smaller tracks. I’ve been to Vegas, Phoenix, Atlanta and Fontana. They’re all the same damn boring race compared to Bristol. Bristol night race is a blast.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score

I think West coast has 6 races total. Vegas=2, Phoenix=2, Fontana=1, Sonoma=1.

MOUZER

Reaction score
fontana should be a sale out........yout talking about phoenix..boring and slow.......

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Sonoma is an awesome race.
Sonoma is cool:cool: if you have right seat, unfortunately passing is limited to few ideal spots on course. Everyone has a racing preference, mine is white knuckled, 5 wide at 200+mph:eek: in a corner at Talladega Super Speedway! In this place both the driver and the fans are puckered up.:oops:

They change the dam rules and point system too often and it’s becoming more strategy than talent. The old school guys don’t drive anymore. Just young punks.
You ain't kidding.:rolleyes: Every year before Daytona 500 I go to ESPN or Nascar.com to learn what's changed. Most years that's not enough as they make changes during the season too.:confused: I think maybe its run secretly run by women.:D

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
Sonoma is cool:cool: if you have right seat, unfortunately passing is limited to few ideal spots on course. Everyone has a racing preference, mine is white knuckled, 5 wide at 200+mph:eek: in a corner at Talladega Super Speedway! In this place both the driver and the fans are puckered up.:oops:

You ain't kidding.:rolleyes: Every year before Daytona 500 I go to ESPN or Nascar.com to learn what's changed. Most years that's not enough as they make changes during the season too.:confused: I think maybe its run secretly run by women.:D

9 years ago I went to dega. Ended up in the infield care unit on Sunday morning. Fucking Talladega blvd got the best of me Saturday night! Lol. Might be going back next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
9 years ago I went to dega. Ended up in the infield care unit on Sunday morning. Fucking Talladega blvd got the best of me Saturday night! Lol. Might be going back next month.

OH hell yeah. LMAO!! Good one.:D:D

riverroyal

Reaction score
Well im gonna go. Both my boys have never been . Got some special pass thing.
Im gonna order a wonder bread ricky bobby trucker hat before then .
At least it wont 100 degrees out

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Had good attendance... The empty bleachers don't have seats installed yet. They're spending $150 mil on track updates starting last year, next phase will be done before the next chase race end of year. Yes their are still 2 races.

MOUZER

Reaction score

the excitement is really on a big track where they run 200 mph fontana should be a blast...........for the boys

spectras only

Reaction score
You guys should have watched the Pirelli World Challenge today or yesterday if you're bored with Nascar.;)
Today was eventful as three [ Ferrari, Bentley and Lamborghini ] cars crashed. Our buddy Scott won both iraces in his Porsche GT3 R on his debut in sports cars in the GT sport cup class. I like road races with manufacturers, not a fan of circle tracks where every car looks the same.:(
Highlights of the two day race event >http://world-challenge.com/streamvideo/

Last edited:

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score

IMG_0802.JPG

Don’t stop at the hat. Met Ricky about 10 minutes before my previous stated incident.

77charger

Reaction score
The best place to watch NASCAR is from your couch. II'v gone to a few races over the years... Good god we're they boring to watch in person. Other than the restarts where the pack comes charging down the track. The beer is cheaper at home too...
Agree hd tv great camera coverage and 6 beers for the price of 1 at the track.

rrrr

Reaction score
NASCAR revenue is much more than asses in the seats. They are doing fine financially.

That's not true. Only 36 cars showed up for Atlanta. It's almost impossible to find a 36 race primary sponsor, and the rates are down to $6-8 million per car from $13-15 five years ago.

Salaries have taken a dive. Hendrick has three junior drivers that combined are earning less than half what Jr was making. Kenseth was let go, and other veterans have been shown the door.

Monster was supposed to sign an extension over the winter. They are balking and NASCAR is giving them more time to decide. Last year Monster paid less for the series sponsorship than most top teams are getting per car.

Things are not good.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Turns out 4 lefts make a circle....once I figured that out I stopped watching!

In all seriousness though - They've taken alot of the fun out of it. The cars are so equal and the rules so stiff it makes for some boring racing

Faceaz

Reaction score
PIR is making allot of changes that have the locals pissed off. Designating / making camping spots smaller, jacking fees, etc. It's an overreach on the money making side that has locals boycotting. I usually go and help with media, didn't this year. 2 of my neighbors are avid fans, go to Vegas & fly 2 or 3 times per year. This is the first phx round they've skipped in about 15 years.

jones performance

Reaction score
the party in the infield was the best part of the calif race. i used tohave a spot in turn 2 front row. great times until the prices went up, then i quit going. over a grand for the spot and you still had to pay for wristbands to get in. this was around 2003 i stopped going.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Best racing in the valley this weekend was the CRA/USAC non wing sprints at Canyon Raceway this weekend...by far.

To bad Manzanita speedway is gone, as the nascar weekend Sprint car races were always awesome!!

Last edited:

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
NHRA is going the same way, unfortunately. Kids just aren't interested in motorsports anymore, when I was a kid I couldn't wait to get my license and go 100mph for the first time, my top speed is 150-155 Speedo maxed at 150 and RPM's climbed about another 800.

Whats interesting is that there was near 50k people at the last big radial tire race in GA...... Is it that they don't like cars (which I believe is part of it), or is it that NHRA is basically a unicorn deal that nobody with any normalcy can relate to? The door car events seem to attract HUGE numbers of people!

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
That's not true. Only 36 cars showed up for Atlanta. It's almost impossible to find a 36 race primary sponsor, and the rates are down to $6-8 million per car from $13-15 five years ago.

Salaries have taken a dive. Hendrick has three junior drivers that combined are earning less than half what Jr was making. Kenseth was let go, and other veterans have been shown the door.

Monster was supposed to sign an extension over the winter. They are balking and NASCAR is giving them more time to decide. Last year Monster paid less for the series sponsorship than most top teams are getting per car.

Things are not good.
I think Monster is done when there contract is up, just my Feeling.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
PIR is making allot of changes that have the locals pissed off. Designating / making camping spots smaller, jacking fees, etc. It's an overreach on the money making side that has locals boycotting. I usually go and help with media, didn't this year. 2 of my neighbors are avid fans, go to Vegas & fly 2 or 3 times per year. This is the first phx round they've skipped in about 15 years.
I had a spot inside the infield at Phoenix for years, a lot of us weren't happy getting kicked to the outside. A lot of people are Pissed that they raised the camping spots outside it was a large price increase.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Whats interesting is that there was near 50k people at the last big radial tire race in GA...... Is it that they don't like cars (which I believe is part of it), or is it that NHRA is basically a unicorn deal that nobody with any normalcy can relate to? The door car events seem to attract HUGE numbers of people!

Yea I don’t think people can relate or are disinterested. It is the same problem as NASCAR. People want to see different stuff, not all the same basically identical corporate sponsored wedge shaped cars doing the same thing, at the same speeds.

I think door car racing or the no prep stuff could take off. More close calls and wrecks, but lower speeds, the cars move around more, it seems more exciting.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Turns out 4 lefts make a circle....once I figured that out I stopped watching!

In all seriousness though - They've taken alot of the fun out of it. The cars are so equal and the rules so stiff it makes for some boring racing
It was better when the mfgrs had to come up with bat shit crazy ideas like Talledegas, Cyclones and Daytonas to one up the competition. Now they just change stickers to differentiate the cars.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It was better when the mfgrs had to come up with bat shit crazy ideas like Talledegas, Cyclones and Daytonas to one up the competition. Now they just change stickers to differentiate the cars.

The races are much better and closer now. I don’t need to see Richard Petty put the entire field down 3 laps, that is boring.

I agree that the latitude builders were able to take was pretty cool back then, but then it becomes a wallet race, and that is what they are trying to avoid.