WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NASCAR attendance, wtf

Reaction score
That's not true. Only 36 cars showed up for Atlanta. It's almost impossible to find a 36 race primary sponsor, and the rates are down to $6-8 million per car from $13-15 five years ago.

Salaries have taken a dive. Hendrick has three junior drivers that combined are earning less than half what Jr was making. Kenseth was let go, and other veterans have been shown the door.

Monster was supposed to sign an extension over the winter. They are balking and NASCAR is giving them more time to decide. Last year Monster paid less for the series sponsorship than most top teams are getting per car.

Things are not good.

NASCAR as a company is doing fine even if they don't pass the casual fan eye test.

"Whether attendance rebounds, NASCAR and its tracks are on solid financial ground, thanks to the 10-year, $8.2 billion TV package with Fox and NBC that runs through 2024."

Annual NASCAR revenue $3.1 Billion

Annual worth of NASCAR television contract $560 Million

Through the NASCAR television contract, according to their financial reports (including an adjustment to how SMI reports that revenue), the tracks made an estimated $421 million from the NASCAR television rights in 2017, up 3.9 percent from 2016. The tracks get 65 percent of the television money, the teams get 25 percent through the purse and NASCAR gets 10 percent.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
That's not true. Only 36 cars showed up for Atlanta. It's almost impossible to find a 36 race primary sponsor, and the rates are down to $6-8 million per car from $13-15 five years ago.

Salaries have taken a dive. Hendrick has three junior drivers that combined are earning less than half what Jr was making. Kenseth was let go, and other veterans have been shown the door.

Monster was supposed to sign an extension over the winter. They are balking and NASCAR is giving them more time to decide. Last year Monster paid less for the series sponsorship than most top teams are getting per car.

Things are not good.

Just read this morning that Lowe’s is done sponsoring Jimmy after this season. Another big corporation going away.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lowes-end-sponsorship-7-time-232856759.html

rrrr

Reaction score
This article pretty much agrees with what I wrote above.

"Team owner Rick Hendrick’s public reaction to the move was optimistic, but it’s the latest sign that NASCAR’s era of cars supported by big-money, full-season backers is nearing an end."

I'm not a "casual fan" as mentioned above. I have good contacts in Mooresville, and they all are saying the same thing.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/03...nascars-jimmie-johnson-after-this-season.html

dave29

Reaction score
Went to Vegas 2 weeks ago. We were shocked at the attendance Saturday and Sunday. Parking was a breeze. We've been going since the first race and this was the lowest attendance ever.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Contrived, boring, over hyped, over commercialized,boring,over ruled,over pc, over safe,boring, cars look like ambiguous sheds with insert brand here facias stuck on the front, crap ass cookie cutter tracks, overly family friendly, boring, over priced, boring,......

I'll stick to high level GT sports car racing.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Contrived, boring, over hyped, over commercialized,boring,over ruled,over pc, over safe,boring, cars look like ambiguous sheds with insert brand here facias stuck on the front, crap ass cookie cutter tracks, overly family friendly, boring, over priced, boring,......

I'll stick to high level GT sports car racing.

That about covers it. lol. I liked Nascar when the drivers were rough around the edges. Nascar lost it's way after Dale Sr. died. Sure it had massive growth in the mid-2000s, but it has gotten so far away from its roots and those that actually lived and breathed the sport, that Nascar can't find it's way back. Now it's just a corporate dog and pony show. Watching paint dry on a wall is more exciting, unless you're partying in the in-field. I liked the old points system 2010 and prior and before the 'Chase'. Get rid of multi-car teams.

77charger

Reaction score
Just read this morning that Lowe’s is done sponsoring Jimmy after this season. Another big corporation going away.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lowes-end-sponsorship-7-time-232856759.html
Im a 48 fan and today i think lowes is the only full season sponsor most have multiple sponsors for a season.They have been with him his whole career as well.Not a surprise they are pulling out they also stopped sponsoring charlotte motor speedway a few years ago as well.The days of associating a driver as a certain company are long gone.

73mandella

Reaction score
My wife and I have been fans since 2001. In fact, the first race she watched was the race where Dale Earnhardt died. We tried to go to two races every year, one locally (Fontana) and one elsewhere. She's gone to the Daytona 500 for the last 4 years. I started to lose interest when they started changing the rules every year and even mid-season. I stopped being a fan when they started breaking the races into three segments, too me it's amateurish. I didn't go to this year's Daytona 500 race and didn't watch a race on TV last year, but I will be at Fontana next Sunday with my wife.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
They are lacking drivers that appeal to the fans. Jr retired and no one has replaced him. The Busch bros just haven't appealed to anyone and most of the young kids are boring.

NASCAR always had characters with grudges and that isn't happening with the current group.

77charger

Reaction score
They are lacking drivers that appeal to the fans. Jr retired and no one has replaced him. The Busch bros just haven't appealed to anyone and most of the young kids are boring.

NASCAR always had characters with grudges and that isn't happening with the current group.
I also think that kids growing up today ain't interested in anything besides what's on their phone too. They are too busy trying to fit into skinny jeans and whatever

HighRoller

Mr. All or Nothing
Reaction score
That about covers it. lol. I liked Nascar when the drivers were rough around the edges. Nascar lost it's way after Dale Sr. died. Sure it had massive growth in the mid-2000s, but it has gotten so far away from its roots and those that actually lived and breathed the sport, that Nascar can't find it's way back. Now it's just a corporate dog and pony show. Watching paint dry on a wall is more exciting, unless you're partying in the in-field. I liked the old points system 2010 and prior and before the 'Chase'. Get rid of multi-car teams.

NASCAR is no longer racing - it's a show, like Professional wrestling. Pretty, loud, shiny cars that sell laundry soap and prescription drugs. They can create winners through selective rules enforcement. The top 35 show ponies literally cannot fail to qualify for a race. Nobody has EVER been disqualified for cheating in the last 15 years. The France family fell in love with themselves and sold their souls to chase the corporate dollar. Which is fine. They pursued an audience of people who knew nothing about racing...and now their brand is a joke to knowledgeable racing fans and even the teams and drivers who "compete".

If you want to see a real race, go to Eldora for the World 100. 150 cars show up, 25 start the A-main. Doesn't matter if you've won the thing 7 times - if you don't qualify you go home. And even if you're the "Dirt Track Dominator" and cross the scales 25 lbs light after taking the checkered flag in 1st place...you get DQ'd in front of God and everyone.

lenmann

Reaction score
"NASCAR is no longer racing - it's a show, like Professional wrestling. Pretty, loud, shiny cars that sell laundry soap and prescription drugs."

Pro Wrestling is at least a show and entertainment, albeit scripted and contrived. Yesterdays race at Fontana was as boring as watching paint dry. If it hadn't been for the "Stage" yellows packing up the field I am pretty sure Truex would have lapped the all the cars instead of just the 26 he did pass.

With all the effort to make thesis cars perform similarly (parity) I don't understand why there isn't more competition on the track. I got so bored watching my DVR'd recording that I fast forwarded the final stage at 15x and just watched the top 10 leader board. Aside from a couple of cars swapping positions back and forth it stayed the same for what was a hour plus of racing. Dull, dull, dull.

I am a lifetime fan, went to my first race at Riverside when I was 8 and have been hooked ever since. (I will be 61 this year btw) I have been to 75% of the tracks, watched races from luxury suites, from the pits with Hot Passes, from the top of my RV in the infield, and from the cheap seats. I've seen lots of ups and downs in the sport over the years but the things that always kept me coming back were the driver personalities and the level of raw competition. Both are gone now.

Rant over.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Real racing starts thursday in Melbourne, just sayin. :p

isgrb9wkfpm01.jpg

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I’m a huge gear head and NASCAR bores me to tears. My buddy works for Lincoln Electric and they sponsor so he always has good tickets. I’ve been in the pits, taken pictures in the winners circle, pictures with Danica etc. I could care less if I ever go again. Same with NHRA, it’s cool for about 15 minutes then I’m bored out of my mind.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I used to be a die hard nascar fan. Have been to some cool tracks..

Fontana
Phoenix
Vegas
Charlotte
Darlington
Martinsville
Daytona
I haven watch since the chase was implemented. Something about it is too cookie cutter and it’s not raw racing. It’s how much money do you have.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Real racing starts thursday in Melbourne, just sayin. :p

View attachment 628623

Huge F1 supporter here, but the racing competition needs to step it up. Got better last year and I hope there are more passes/lead changes this year, not just MB domination (although I’m a Ham fan). I’d like to see Ferrari and Red Bull be able to continue to mix it up more. Looking forward to this year.

Since Kenseth got the boot last year, junior is gone, and Danica isn’t around to wad up half the field anymore, NASCAR has gone by the way side for me. Oh, and Fontana is consistently the most boring race of the season. Sorry CA peeps, but that race has to go. Waste of a weekend.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Huge F1 supporter here, but the racing competition needs to step it up. Got better last year and I hope there are more passes/lead changes this year, not just MB domination (although I’m a Ham fan). I’d like to see Ferrari and Red Bull be able to continue to mix it up more. Looking forward to this year.

Since Kenseth got the boot last year, junior is gone, and Danica isn’t around to wad up half the field anymore, NASCAR has gone by the way side for me. Oh, and Fontana is consistently the most boring race of the season. Sorry CA peeps, but that race has to go. Waste of a weekend.

Most of the action in F1 happens before the race, sadly since NBC has had the broadcast rights locked up in the states for the last several years it has really hurt viewership. Their coverage/commentary was absymal, The hosts only went on site for a couple of the races, most of them they remote commentaried from back here in the States. To really get the full experience you gotta hunt down the Sky Sports broadcast online from the UK. They get extremely in depth interviewing all of the team principles, showing off the subtleties and tech of the individual cars, interviewing the drivers, Practice and qualifying, and all of the behind the scenes drama that is happening between and during those sessions.

If you only tune in for the race (which from NBC was basically all you'd get), you are missing 90% of the racing that makes F1 great. Its about way more than the race itself or the drivers. ESPN got the US broadcast rights this year, aren't providing their own commentary, and instead are going to take Sky's commentary from David Croft and Martin Brundle, which is about 100x better than NBC's commentators were, so it should be an improvement from that standpoint at least.

Since Liberty's takeover they are supposed to roll out their own web service where you will be able to watch all of the camera feeds from all of the cars, and all of the track, and switch between them on the fly, along with all of the team radio and commentary you choose.

brgrcru

Reaction score
i tried to watch yesterdays race a little. lets just say golf was more exciting on the other tv.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Damn pics. I hate tap a shit, she is a whore.

That track is in Ada , OK

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LuauLounge

Reaction score
One big benefit of NASCAR is a bunch of the young guns grew up on dirt and are investing tons of money on their roots.

playdeep

Reaction score
One big benefit of NASCAR is a bunch of the young guns grew up on dirt and are investing tons of money on their roots.
Yup...
Kasey Kahne,Kyle Larson,Ricky Stenhouse Jr. all have Outlaw Sprint car teams.
Larson kicked some serious ass last year in Pennsylvania against the Pa.Posse.
...which is damn impressive.

JD D05

Reaction score
Jr fan, with him done I lost any interest.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Best part of the race was leaving at 35 to go
Any day i get to spend the day with my boys its amazing . But it was boring