WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Navigation

phuggit

Reaction score
My Garmin 60csx was tried and true, but trying to read a tiny screen at speed was getting tiresome. For our Rzr I decided to mount a Nexus 7 tablet to handle navigation and tunes while riding. I loaded two mapping apps to try over T-weekend and I'll report back on which I prefer and why.

Ive only got $315 dollars into this set up, so its much cheaper than going the Lowarance Baja route.

droidage.....

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353205546386.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353205546386.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353205560777.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353205560777.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353205572136.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353205572136.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 58

fmo24

Reaction score
Be interesting to see how the dust and vibrations effect the tablet ?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If that survives, I'll buy into that program!!

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Subscribed! Nice budget nav set-up. Hope it holds up.:thumbsup

phuggit

Reaction score
Im running Back Country Navigator Pro and OruxMaps. Both allow downloading of Gearth tiles so I can navigate using gps only, no wifi needed. I only need wifi to load the tiles ahead of time, which wont be an issue because I loaded pretty much all of eastern Socal and Az aleady.

As far as durability. The tablet is inside a rubber "Gumdrop" case, so as long as I dont submerge it in water it should be protected from the elements.

Also, the navigational charts for both apps are highly detailed. I could move the tablet to my boat if I dared to venture into the big blue or someday make it to Lake Powell.

droidage.....

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I like this idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

intense

Reaction score
Anymore pictures of the mounting system?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've been looking for a GPS App for my hiking trips and came across ViewRanger GPS. I think its available in every format. Considering all it does, for fifteen bucks its dirt cheap! :thumbup:

Tapatalk 2.0/HTC One

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
My Garmin 60csx was tried and true, but trying to read a tiny screen at speed was getting tiresome. For our Rzr I decided to mount a Nexus 7 tablet to handle navigation and tunes while riding. I loaded two mapping apps to try over T-weekend and I'll report back on which I prefer and why.

Ive only got $315 dollars into this set up, so its much cheaper than going the Lowarance Baja route.

droidage.....
How did it work.......what do you think?

phuggit

Reaction score
The only negtive thing I can say about the setup was the glare from the screen ade it difficult to see. Im going to fab an aluminum hood to cut down on some of the glare. If I had loaded a track with colored line to follow the glare wouldnt have been an issue at all. At night and low light the setup is perfect a it is. I only messed with the BCN this trip. The app is easy to use and if you're familiar with Google Earth and .kmz files you'll have it whipped.

On Sat evening the tablet setup really proved itself when I was able to zoom in/out over large areas near Standard Wash to find the shortest trail back home as we were low on fuel.

So far I am very happy with the setup.

droidage.....

Patyacht

Reaction score
Here is the new Polaris Nav. Boy it is pricey. $700 for the unit, $150 for the mount, $200 extra if you want the 3D charts plus install. Only drawback besides price that I've read is that you have to cut the dash for the install if you use their mount. It comes with charts and antenna but you can also upgrade to a better external antenna and 3D charts also. It's network able so you can add other items like Sirius, etc. I got a quote of $1265 installed with the 3D charts OTD yesterday. I found the units elsewhere for a little cheaper and then maybe do the install myself if I go that route.
IMG_0299.jpg

Patyacht

Reaction score
I just got mine today. Got the Polaris XTR, Center dash mount and HD card. Instructions suck. The 1 page install instructions item #6 says Wire in GPS. Reference GPS instructions sheet for wiring instructions....
There is NO wiring instructions. WTF. Anyone have the instructions?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Here is the new Polaris Nav. Boy it is pricey. $700 for the unit, $150 for the mount, $200 extra if you want the 3D charts plus install. Only drawback besides price that I've read is that you have to cut the dash for the install if you use their mount. It comes with charts and antenna but you can also upgrade to a better external antenna and 3D charts also. It's network able so you can add other items like Sirius, etc. I got a quote of $1265 installed with the 3D charts OTD yesterday. I found the units elsewhere for a little cheaper and then maybe do the install myself if I go that route.
View attachment 237486

That's looks awesome... Nice work! :thumbsup

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
If you just want to try one of these programs out, I picked up a 7" pad at Big Lots to try out. Just look for one that has at least andriod 4.0 and you should be good.
and if it doesn't work out just take it back before 30 days and try something else.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
The only negtive thing I can say about the setup was the glare from the screen ade it difficult to see. Im going to fab an aluminum hood to cut down on some of the glare. If I had loaded a track with colored line to follow the glare wouldnt have been an issue at all. At night and low light the setup is perfect a it is. I only messed with the BCN this trip. The app is easy to use and if you're familiar with Google Earth and .kmz files you'll have it whipped.

On Sat evening the tablet setup really proved itself when I was able to zoom in/out over large areas near Standard Wash to find the shortest trail back home as we were low on fuel.

So far I am very happy with the setup.

droidage.....

Yep that thing saved our butts for sure. I've got an aluminum spool gun for my welder if you need to weld anything up for the glare shield. I've also got a bunch of sheet alum left over from the roof and side panels if you need it.

Chris

Sent from my iPad