WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need drive recommendation

BDOG

Reaction score
Looking at a boat with 650 horsepower and no drive. What are my options ? What drive would you match with it ?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'm running a b&d marine built XR behind my boat with 650-ish Hp.

IMG_9304.jpg

hawgty55

Reaction score
My brother in law ran a bravo1 with closer to 750 hp with no issues for years. Obviously probably not highly recommend by all but can be done to get you on the water.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Looking at a boat with 650 horsepower and no drive. What are my options ? What drive would you match with it ?
I'm not an I/O guy but from what I've read over the years on here, and makes sense to me, is it depends on what boat you have. The bigger and heavier the boat the beefier the drive needed for the same power as a smaller boat.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Max Machine Worx

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
RB, are the XR gears replaceable with the Bravo casing?

Honestly I don't know. It would be worth making a call to Brian at B&D he can answer all your questions and he's a no BS type of guy so it's nice knowing you're not being "sold" all the time.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Honestly I don't know. It would be worth making a call to Brian at B&D he can answer all your questions and he's a no BS type of guy so it's nice knowing you're not being "sold" all the time.

Thanks.....I will, have never read anything but positive about Brian & B&D. Awesome piece you got there, appears to be well thought out & put together right.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I have 25' Daytona, it had a 496 HO and an XR drive behind it. I just recently put a 800 hp 540 in front of it. Since I didn't know the history of the drive (boat is a 2001) before a full season of boating with the 540 I decided to upgrade to a Teague platinum XR upper just until I can do a SCX, I just didn't want do the entire swap which is about $15k for the scx between the upper, new helmet, HP gimbal ring, and external trim gauge, it adds up quick where I could just swap the uppers for now with the Teague XR upper. I just added an IMCO SC lower -2 a few months ago, so between the two I should be good for a little while I hope.

Easy on the throttle and off the throttle and easy out of the hole. Gear lube changes every 20 hours and inspect the gears each oil change by removing the top cap.