WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New CA law regarding SxS's

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Yes it certainly does seem to end it.
Well, what do we expect from that collection of busybodies in Sacramento?
Thankfully, we rarely ride in this state anymore. I just wish I could clear the path to move, because things are not going to get any better here for a long, long time, if ever.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
So I'm reading it as No mods to seating, and Helmets are required. The sales of 4 seaters in Ca just went up, and the 2 seaters w/ added seats might as well give the extra seats away. :thumbdown:

sent from a van at the waters edge.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Cool. This means that my Property Value is gonna go up some more here in Arizona and I should be able to buy some sweet sxs cheap.:D
I feel bad for all my friends that hate living in California. Its a shame because California is such a cool place if it were not for the current political and regulatory environment.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
It also said the driver has to be 16 or older, or be with a legal guardian, and a passenger must be able to reach the factory grab handles. Does that mean you can't take a toddler for a ride????

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
It also said the driver has to be 16 or older, or be with a legal guardian, and a passenger must be able to reach the factory grab handles. Does that mean you can't take a toddler for a ride????

I saw that too. I wasnt sure if the driver age was anything new.

The factory grab handles is hard to interpret. Im sure it depends on where they are placed.

sent from a van at the waters edge.

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
Wonder if they will ticket just for having them in the SxS or if there is a passenger in the seat? Fuck Komifornia and Bobo!!

John

better member
Reaction score
well that sucks. we were looking at buying a sxs for the family for next season. Looks like the only way around this is to jack it up to over 1000 cc's. Or we pay some more and get a RZR 4. but then, the kids in car seats are still not allowed. Wierd law thats not thought out very well. I wonder how many serious injuries there have been for occupants in teh rear seat of Phino's while wearing their seatbelts and being enclosed within the cage...

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
cant put in a car seat or a seat on the seat for little kids and the original sale will have to be for a engine over 1000 cc to be expemt so all sxx except the 170razr are affect

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The way I read it the helmet thing goes for all ohv vehicles,sandrails,buggys,even Jeeps:thumbsdown So,does that mean I can drive the Jeep on road with no helmet,but when I go off road I need one?

John

better member
Reaction score
The way I read it the helmet thing goes for all ohv vehicles,sandrails,buggys,even Jeeps:thumbsdown So,does that mean I can drive the Jeep on road with no helmet,but when I go off road I need one?

I read it the same way. very poorly written law. I doubt that its going to be enforced.

Meaney77

Reaction score
How do they plan on enforcing any of it when there is no budget for state parks and rangers anymore. Kills me, some fucking desk jockey politician comes up with these new laws to enforce yet they are closing down more and more desert every year for OHV use. And if these parks have rangers to patrol most of the time they are on skeleton screws.

Seems to me the Rangers should invest more time on busting the people who don't pick up the trash after trips, vandalizing, etc... the chicken shit stuff like spark arrestors, under age riding etc.... give a warning and let them go.

Dont get me wrong, I love living in California but these laws are a fucking joke.

J.T.

Reaction score
By that rule it says my wife is not allowed in the Teryx as both her feet will not sit flat on the floor with her back all the way in the seat. Nor does the Teryx have a stock grab bar. Some bull shit. Big brother shit

J.T.

Reaction score
Awesome way to sell more Teryx4's. Ugh. And would venture Polaris was in there somewhere too

WildHorses24

Reaction score

Very poorly writen which I'm sure was their intent. Kind of reads to me that ONLY "recreational off-highway" vehicles apply, which would be registered with the state as such.. Green/red sticker. It'd be a PIA to street register a SxS in CA but it seems that may be a loop hole as long as one of the definitions didn't meet "off-highway" criteria. Jeep would seem to be excluded from the first definition built for mainly street use per the manufactures intent, I dunno.:headscratch:

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
read the whole law it says for utv under 1000cc buggys trucks jeeps dont apply to this, although there next

Groper

Reaction score
cant put in a car seat or a seat on the seat for little kids and the original sale will have to be for a engine over 1000 cc to be expemt so all sxx except the 170razr are affect

The CC'c will be hard to enforce. " It was rebuilt to a 950cc"

Maybe or maybe not ?
In my Class 1 car, I have child booster seats manufactured by the seat co. that made the adult seats, therefore suited for that use, maybe ?

We will see this fall, if everybody starts getting sighted for (regular car seats) or manufactured child's seats intended for off road use.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What happened with this? Did it end up going through?

RD

phuggit

Reaction score
Here's the latest. They've amended some of the law thanks to many fed up offroaders who blew up their representative's telephones.

Third Update on the AB 1595 Fix
I'm happy to report that the bill to begin fixing AB 1595 is now in print and available to be read online. The bill is AB 1266. I'm joined by Assemblyman Jim Nielsen and Assemblyman V. Manuel P?rez in authoring this fix. You can view the text of AB 1266 at the following link:

leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_1251-1300/ab_1266_bill_20120823_amended_sen_v98.html

This bill will do two things:

1) It eliminates the "feet flat on the floorboards" provision that would prevent children (and short adults) from riding as a passenger in a recreational off-highway vehicle.

2) It delays the implementation of the non-factory seating locations provision until July 1, 2013. While I would have liked to do a more permanent fix for this provision right now, that would require committee hearings before the Assembly and Senate Transportation Committees, which are no longer meeting at this point in the session. Both of the committees are aware of the issues with this section of the current law, however, and legislation for a more permanent fix will be moving forward in January. The delay in implementing this section will give plenty of time for the new legislation to be drafted and passed by the next legislature.

I expect AB 1266 to be voted on in the California Senate on Monday, August 27, although there is a possibility that it may be pushed back until Tuesday. I will take the bill up in the Assembly within 1-2 days of it passing the Senate. After the Assembly passes it, it will be sent to the Governor for signature. Because the Senate will be the first chamber voting on this bill, I would urge you all to contact your state senator urging them to support AB 1266. I'll continue to update you at every step of the process, and once again, I'd like to thank you all for contacting my office with your comments and concerns.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Paul Cook

65th Assembly District

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Here's the latest. They've amended some of the law thanks to many fed up offroaders who blew up their representative's telephones.

Third Update on the AB 1595 Fix
I'm happy to report that the bill to begin fixing AB 1595 is now in print and available to be read online. The bill is AB 1266. I'm joined by Assemblyman Jim Nielsen and Assemblyman V. Manuel P?rez in authoring this fix. You can view the text of AB 1266 at the following link:

leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_1251-1300/ab_1266_bill_20120823_amended_sen_v98.html

This bill will do two things:

1) It eliminates the "feet flat on the floorboards" provision that would prevent children (and short adults) from riding as a passenger in a recreational off-highway vehicle.

2) It delays the implementation of the non-factory seating locations provision until July 1, 2013. While I would have liked to do a more permanent fix for this provision right now, that would require committee hearings before the Assembly and Senate Transportation Committees, which are no longer meeting at this point in the session. Both of the committees are aware of the issues with this section of the current law, however, and legislation for a more permanent fix will be moving forward in January. The delay in implementing this section will give plenty of time for the new legislation to be drafted and passed by the next legislature.

I expect AB 1266 to be voted on in the California Senate on Monday, August 27, although there is a possibility that it may be pushed back until Tuesday. I will take the bill up in the Assembly within 1-2 days of it passing the Senate. After the Assembly passes it, it will be sent to the Governor for signature. Because the Senate will be the first chamber voting on this bill, I would urge you all to contact your state senator urging them to support AB 1266. I'll continue to update you at every step of the process, and once again, I'd like to thank you all for contacting my office with your comments and concerns.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Paul Cook

65th Assembly District

So helmets, yes or no?

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Helmets yes

This is just fixing the no kids issues.

Temporary fix for aftermarket seating.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

helmets? thats bullshit.

they are just delaying the inevitable.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Wow. Somebody musta worked 24/7 to get this much done!

Hats off to you whoever you are. :thumbup:

Tapatalk 2.0/HTC One

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Helmets i believe jan 1. This is in ca only.

They postponed the rear seating in rhinos,etc until july

How the hell are you supposed to drink a beer?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
How the hell are you supposed to drink a beer?

Thats the whole reason they make laws.

Look that guy isnt wearing a helmet lets roll him. Once they have probable cause they can get you for open container and dui.

Win win and its all about $$ and law suits not the safety.

phuggit

Reaction score
Update....

AB 1266 Passes Out of the Legislature
I wanted to let everyone know that AB 1266 passed out of the legislature tonight. It passed out of the Senate earlier this afternoon on a 39-0 vote and just passed the Assembly on a 64-0 vote. It now heads to the desk of Governor Jerry Brown who has until the end of September to sign it into law.

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has contacted my office about AB 1595. Without your help, I know I'd never have succeeded in getting AB 1266 drafted and passed in such a short period of time. Because of your hard work, off-roaders will be able to continue enjoying the sport with their families and thousands of safely modified vehicles will remain legal on January 1.

I know that AB 1266 is just the first step in addressing the concerns of the off-road community. I will be speaking with my fellow legislators in the coming weeks to help you find an author for bills to address the remaining concerns you have brought to my office. I'll be following up with another update sometime next week to begin going over the next steps.

Thank you again for all of your input and support in getting AB 1266 passed.

Assemblyman Paul Cook

65th Assembly District

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
Great news....hopefully they do something to make it permanent before 7/13.

Update....

AB 1266 Passes Out of the Legislature
I wanted to let everyone know that AB 1266 passed out of the legislature tonight. It passed out of the Senate earlier this afternoon on a 39-0 vote and just passed the Assembly on a 64-0 vote. It now heads to the desk of Governor Jerry Brown who has until the end of September to sign it into law.

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has contacted my office about AB 1595. Without your help, I know I'd never have succeeded in getting AB 1266 drafted and passed in such a short period of time. Because of your hard work, off-roaders will be able to continue enjoying the sport with their families and thousands of safely modified vehicles will remain legal on January 1.

I know that AB 1266 is just the first step in addressing the concerns of the off-road community. I will be speaking with my fellow legislators in the coming weeks to help you find an author for bills to address the remaining concerns you have brought to my office. I'll be following up with another update sometime next week to begin going over the next steps.

Thank you again for all of your input and support in getting AB 1266 passed.

Assemblyman Paul Cook

65th Assembly District

phuggit

Reaction score
Update.....

Written by CA Assemblyman Paul Cook.

AB 1266 Signed by the Governor
I am thrilled to report that today Governor Jerry Brown signed AB 1266 into law. I want to thank you all for your advice and support in getting this passed. I could not have done it without you.

AB 1266 removes the language requiring passengers to be able to sit "with both feet flat on the floorboard" while restrained. This will ensure that children can continue to ride, allowing families to continue enjoying off-roading together.

This bill also delays the implementation of the provision prohibiting the use of post-manufactured seats until July 1, 2013. This will give legislators time to work on a solution that would allow operators who have safely modified their vehicles to continue riding.

Now that AB 1266 has been signed into law, my office will work on securing an author for a bill to resolve your remaining concerns. I will update you in the coming weeks on the progress of draft legislation as well as information about which legislators will be carrying the legislation next year.

Thank you again for all of your input and support over the past two months.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Paul Cook
65th Assembly District

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Great news, but seriously, think about the man hours and tax payer dollars that have been/will be spent on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
When I had talked to Paul Cooks office they had said since he was being termed out they would have to find a new author for the bill in 2013. I have not heard if they named a new author but we need to watch this so we know who's office to start contacting. I would like to see the mandatory helmet part removed also.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Great news, but seriously, think about the man hours and tax payer dollars that have been/will be spent on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is so true. Really an embarassment when you consider all the real problems

phuggit

Reaction score
An update. There is hope...

*"SACRAMENTO ? Assemblyman Donnelly, R-Twin Peaks, Monday introduced Assembly Bill 64 to repeal last year?s AB 1595 (Cook), which imposed unnecessary restrictions on off road vehicle ownership and recreation.

?AB 64 will restore the rights law abiding citizens enjoyed last year when participating in off highway vehicle recreation,? said Assemblyman Donnelly.

AB 1595 was supported by the Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association. The bill received no formal opposition during the legislative process. As a result, the bill was not vetted in a single committee. Riders and families who use and purchase the vehicles did not send in formal opposition until it was too late, and the bill had already been signed into law. Their protests, however, revealed significant problems with the restrictions.

The author vowed to fix these issues by deleting some provisions imposed by the bill. Unfortunately, the only fix that passed within Legislative deadlines last year was minor, only tweaking some of the freedom-breaching restrictions, not removing them.

Assemblyman Donnelly continued, ?AB 64 will wipe the slate clean by removing AB 1595 from the books completely. A basic American sport and pastime should not be unreasonably restricted. Families are perfectly capable of watching out for the safety of those in their party without further government interference. When governing, we must be sensitive to our duty of using the least restrictive methods possible; the laws already on the books were adequate to ensure safe operation of OHVs.?

AB 64 will strike the language of AB 1595 from California Vehicle code, restoring the previous laws regulating off-highway vehicles."

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
An update. There is hope...

*"SACRAMENTO ? Assemblyman Donnelly, R-Twin Peaks, Monday introduced Assembly Bill 64 to repeal last year?s AB 1595 (Cook), which imposed unnecessary restrictions on off road vehicle ownership and recreation.

?AB 64 will restore the rights law abiding citizens enjoyed last year when participating in off highway vehicle recreation,? said Assemblyman Donnelly.

AB 1595 was supported by the Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association. The bill received no formal opposition during the legislative process. As a result, the bill was not vetted in a single committee. Riders and families who use and purchase the vehicles did not send in formal opposition until it was too late, and the bill had already been signed into law. Their protests, however, revealed significant problems with the restrictions.

The author vowed to fix these issues by deleting some provisions imposed by the bill. Unfortunately, the only fix that passed within Legislative deadlines last year was minor, only tweaking some of the freedom-breaching restrictions, not removing them.

Assemblyman Donnelly continued, ?AB 64 will wipe the slate clean by removing AB 1595 from the books completely. A basic American sport and pastime should not be unreasonably restricted. Families are perfectly capable of watching out for the safety of those in their party without further government interference. When governing, we must be sensitive to our duty of using the least restrictive methods possible; the laws already on the books were adequate to ensure safe operation of OHVs.?

AB 64 will strike the language of AB 1595 from California Vehicle code, restoring the previous laws regulating off-highway vehicles."

So if I read this right, if AB64 passes we can drive without helmets, use the rear seats and put kids in our UTVs?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
So if I read this right, if AB64 passes we can drive without helmets, use the rear seats and put kids in our UTVs?

My BIL is friends with Representative Cook.
He said Cook was unhappy with many of the provisions, and was seeking to kill a lot of them.
Looks like that's starting to happen.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
My BIL is friends with Representative Cook.
He said Cook was unhappy with many of the provisions, and was seeking to kill a lot of them.
Looks like that's starting to happen.
Will they refund the money I just spend on two helmets? LOL

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
This is great. I will be contacting his office as well as my assemblyman's to show support:thumbsup:thumbsup