WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Lavey 28 Evo Hardtop

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Congratulations Jeff Meulhausen!

Look like its going to be awesome.

Lavey is going to build her light and fast for you.

Jr's sketch isn't color accurate but location and shape of the graphic is pretty close, and what you guys worked out location wise makes sense for sponsors.

Uncle Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4377.jpg
    IMG_4377.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_4378.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 468

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Prepping the upper..

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpg
    IMG_4395.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 295

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Is that Mccarthy on the right in that pic?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Lavey is going back racing again??? Call me Dave!!

RD

lavey jr

Reaction score
Lavey is going back racing again??? Call me Dave!!

RD

From what the customer has told me, he'll be racing and his main goal is to take the Kilo speed record :cool:thumbsup

Judging by how fast the other Lavey 28 EVO race boat is currently running this new one will be within reach to break the record.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
From what the customer has told me, he'll be racing and his main goal is to take the Kilo speed record :cool:thumbsup

Judging by how fast the other Lavey 28 EVO race boat is currently running this new one will be within reach to break the record.

What class and what's the class record, currently?

lavey jr

Reaction score
What class and what's the class record, currently?

Super Vee Light or SV single. Current record two way pass average of 100.84 mph.

Kilo runs are also different than the regular shootouts. During the shootouts you enter the course at the limited speed then run to the end whereas at a kilo event you can do a "flying start" and enter the course at full speed or which ever speed you desire.

SpeedShopMarine

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm Jeff Muehlhausen. I own Speed Shop Marine here in Oklahoma. We specialize in performance boat salvage but recently have been getting more involved with offshore racing. West coast boats have always been my favorite since living in Southern California and Havasu for a short time after HS. Earlier this year we installed the motor and prepped the old orange Lavey Craft Evo for Team Woody out of Texas and made the decision then to pursue a carbon built 28'. We plan on running a full SBI schedule in 2018 depending on what end up happening to the sanction. We are keeping a close eye on that situation so we can make the correct engine choice. Our goal is 101mph with SBI spec 509 motor, ITS, and bravo XR. We are still working closely with Team Woody trying to learn as much as possible about what the boat likes and doesn't. Kevin has been very helpful with information from his racing experience also. We are moving up from class 4 racing to the Super Vee class. Super Vee is the most competitive class with the most boats and closest racing right now. If any of you west coast guys want to support us and help bring some titles back to the Lavey Craft name give me a shout. We are hoping to find one major partner to work with for the 2018 season for marketing and more.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm Jeff Muehlhausen. I own Speed Shop Marine here in Oklahoma. We specialize in performance boat salvage but recently have been getting more involved with offshore racing. West coast boats have always been my favorite since living in Southern California and Havasu for a short time after HS. Earlier this year we installed the motor and prepped the old orange Lavey Craft Evo for Team Woody out of Texas and made the decision then to pursue a carbon built 28'. We plan on running a full SBI schedule in 2018 depending on what end up happening to the sanction. We are keeping a close eye on that situation so we can make the correct engine choice. Our goal is 101mph with SBI spec 509 motor, ITS, and bravo XR. We are still working closely with Team Woody trying to learn as much as possible about what the boat likes and doesn't. Kevin has been very helpful with information from his racing experience also. We are moving up from class 4 racing to the Super Vee class. Super Vee is the most competitive class with the most boats and closest racing right now. If any of you west coast guys want to support us and help bring some titles back to the Lavey Craft name give me a shout. We are hoping to find one major partner to work with for the 2018 season for marketing and more.
Where in Oklahoma?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Watch it Larry, [emoji6] [emoji202]

My Grandpa was born in Picher.
My Grandmother was born in Hockerville.
My Mom was born in Picher.

It's entiry possible I'm more Oakie than you. ;)

:D

milkmoney

Reaction score
My Grandpa was born in Picher.
My Grandmother was born in Hockerville.
My Mom was born in Picher.

It's entiry possible I'm more Oakie than you. ;)

:D
I can guarantee, you are , more than I can ever be. Only lived here 4 years , and not much longer , I will be back out west. [emoji106] [emoji202] [emoji4]

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
All the small pieces pieces (beside the hatch) are gelled laminated out of the molds and done.
Gelcoater is getting tape down on the top.
As Jeff said the graphics are shifted toward the back with sponsorship visibility in mind.

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4594.jpg
    IMG_4594.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 278

lavey jr

Reaction score

Jeff,

Once again congrats on the new build! I'm glad I was able to help in designing the drawing for the gel design. Looking forward to seeing the boat complete and out on the water winning some races! Like I've told you before, anytime you need help on setup questions feel free to ask.

-Chris jr.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Me and a couple buddies walked in there today and saw it being taped. I guess i was in the presence of thee Gelcoater and didn't realize it. I don't know how the hell you are in there on your knees for that long. Chris was very kind in giving a full tour and answering all of our questions.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Me and a couple buddies walked in there today and saw it being taped. I guess i was in the presence of thee Gelcoater and didn't realize it. I don't know how the hell you are in there on your knees for that long. Chris was very kind in giving a full tour and answering all of our questions.

That was you guys? You should have said something.
I tend to tune things out. I knew there were people there but was thinking about 4 steps ahead.

And, I wasn't in there long. Just enough to hang some paper and lines on the transom. That mold is a little too deep to want to hang over the step, upside down.

Tomorrow evening this thing starts transforming from liquid to solid.:thumbsup

CobraDave

Reaction score
That was you guys? You should have said something.
I tend to tune things out. I knew there were people there but was thinking about 4 steps ahead.

And, I wasn't in there long. Just enough to hang some paper and lines on the transom. That mold is a little too deep to want to hang over the step, upside down.

Tomorrow evening this thing starts transforming from liquid to solid.:thumbsup

I wasn't sure. You looked like you were in the zone! Nice to not quite meet you.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Jeff,

Once again congrats on the new build! I'm glad I was able to help in designing the drawing for the gel design. Looking forward to seeing the boat complete and out on the water winning some races! Like I've told you before, anytime you need help on setup questions feel free to ask.

-Chris jr.
Your location isnt quite accurate there, Mr.

lavey jr

Reaction score
A couple of pics my dad sent to me today of the 28 EVO being taped and sprayed by Gelcoater:thumbsup

IMG_2940.jpg IMG_2942.jpg IMG_2943.jpg IMG_2944.jpg IMG_2945.jpg

SpeedShopMarine

Reaction score
I can't wait. Racing in Clearwater next week is gonna be tough when all I'm thinking about is this new boat!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
We were reliving in a different sport the scene from Days of thunder when Robert Duvall was talking to the car he was building.

We're going to use the best stuff in the world to make you light and fast - 1.15 LB per square foot lighter than usual.

We're going to make you strong - to keep Jeff an his crew safe- really strong 39,962 lB/Sq/Inch of 90 degree flex stiffness-

We're going to give you a little bit bigger gas tank so you can go further than the others guys if you need to-

We had a custom lamination schedule created for this boat by the Vectorply Performance Composites team who came out and measured everything, the bottom, sides and deck- each its own formula.

This going to be a real nice Machine.

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_4659.jpg
    IMG_4659.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 267

noli

Reaction score

looks like another awesome build!

what material is the fabric with yellow and black stripes stitched together ?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

looks like another awesome build!

what material is the fabric with yellow and black stripes stitched together ?

Vectorply Kevlar Graphite 5350

It comes with its own certificate of inspection for each batch and lot# to insure some homeboy didn't turn a knob in the wrong direction somewhere, and because if it were improperly made you would be in real danger by following the layup schedule.

Its strong enough to allow you to take 1/3 of normal lamination out of a build and retain the same strength or be even stronger.

Hard as hell to cut.

UD

SpeedShopMarine

Reaction score
Ok Dave so I'm trying to estimate and do my math but what is the total square foot you guys are coming up with? I'm guessing 800-1000 lbs lighter than the orange boat. We are gonna weigh it at keywest and see what it weighs with current set up.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Ok Dave so I'm trying to estimate and do my math but what is the total square foot you guys are coming up with? I'm guessing 800-1000 lbs lighter than the orange boat. We are gonna weigh it at keywest and see what it weighs with current set up.

Not sure it will add up to that vs. the orange boat but it would for a standard layup 28.

The orange boat was built as a race boat not sure of its layup /formula but this boat will be lighter than it is all things being equal.

Vectorply came up with weight per square ft.

Bottom is - 2.01 vs 3.15

Sides are- 1.93 lb per Sq FT vs 3.09

Deck is - 1.93 vs 2.49

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_4676.jpg
    IMG_4676.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 252

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
This one is getting close...

We waited on the Foam core for a while then what we got was the wrong stuff- boo hiss.

We did get the big coosa panel - now cut for the transom ready for bagging.

Finishing up the dash with a layer of kevlar...

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4930.jpg
    IMG_4930.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_4933.jpg
    IMG_4933.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_4932.jpg
    IMG_4932.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 277

noli

Reaction score

looking good tio Dave!

how thick is the coosa board?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
IMG_4937.jpg
Dash is out of mold - all parts complete and foam arrived!

UD

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
IMG_4949.jpg
IMG_4947.jpg
IMG_4957.jpg
IMG_4958.jpg
Upper got bagged today - one final topcoat and its finished.

all core pieces were precut and laid out for fast assembly under catalyst - bag hit super hard and it came out rock hard. View attachment 601455

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Sunday was off-Then back to work on Monday- smoothing and grinding - very dirty messy work.

Chris giving
IMG_4988.jpg
IMG_4989.jpg
us a big smile for the camera...

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Uppers done-

Lowers ready to bag, then the top Kevlar coat and its done.

UD
IMG_5002.jpg

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Look forward to seeing this come together.
What hull were you running in Class 4 OPA? Or P4 SBI?

lavey jr

Reaction score
Look forward to seeing this come together.
What hull were you running in Class 4 OPA? Or P4 SBI?

This offshore season the Lavey that was running in P4 is the same model that is being built now. The reason that boat is running P4 and not in Vee Lite is because the engine doesn't meet the requirements for the class.