WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New member, new boat, need a new engine

Your ad here

Reaction score
Hello all! New Southern California local with a new to me and my brother boat. We purchased a 2001 Commander 2100lx (I believe) jet boat with a bored and stroked 454 to 496. We picked it up Saturday and cruised it around Sunday and Monday the crankshaft broke. Engine had 12-13 hours in it. It snapped at Parker and the current took us right into castle shores lagoon where we were able to get it on the trailer. No warranty on anything (as expected) so we are looking for a direction and shop to install a factory marine 454 in it and call it a day. Does anyone here have any suggestions or recommendations on a shop? We have been in contact with commander but would like to open up more options.

Thanks,
Your ad here
(Adam)

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
It may make more sense to repair yours instead of buying a Merc engine outright, especially depending on how much damage may or may not have been done to the block.

One time I broke a crank in my blown ski race engine, and the block and rods were not damaged.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Any pics?

Not yet. The engine is still in the boat. We took the exhaust manifolds and VCs off this morning and everything appears normal but something did hit the pan. There is a small 1" dent. Our ideas on what to do keep changing. We are thinking if the heads are salvageable we may get a 502 short block and swap the top end over. This busted engine has all roller parts that we would like to reuse.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Talk to Obnoxious1. He is the man for motors. Lots of his work on the boards over the years, but never any unhappy customers.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Took the engine out this weekend and found the crank broke in front of the 2nd main bearing. The break was a mild violent one. The engine stopped but the balancer didn't and it sheared the keeper pin. The front main bearing slid halfway out towards the front cover. One piston hit the crank, both front pistons slapped the heads, and both rods slapped the block and oil pan. Right now the heads are at the machine shop getting checked and if they are good/repairable we are thinking of putting them on a 502 short block.

Your ad here

Reaction score
image.jpg

Your ad here

Reaction score
Just posted the pictures. I'm still familiarizing myself with the layout of this forum. Anyways we found a 502 long lock with 10 hours to install in the boat. It's a factory marine 502 with a stock crank, scat h-beam rods, and J&E forged pistons. If the aluminum heads are reusable and will work on the 502 we will install those onto the block.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I would be curious to know what crank that is, and why it broke. Apparently Eagle I beam rods. Did the engine appear to run smoothly until it broke?

Your ad here

Reaction score
I would be curious to know what crank that is, and why it broke. Apparently Eagle I beam rods. Did the engine appear to run smoothly until it broke?

The engine builder said it was a scat or eagle crank. We put 7 hours on it. The first 5 were smooth the last 2 it did run a little rough. It was cutting out at about 4800 rpm the whole time and was told because the carb was to small (750 holly).

Your ad here

Reaction score
Update

The boat has been at Commander since mid Novemeber. We are in no rush to get it back. It now has a 502 in it. Hopefully this weather warms up and we can get a early start to this years river season.

Brian

Reaction score
Commander re-opened? I thought they went out of business?

LuckyDaze

Reaction score
The engine builder said it was a scat or eagle crank. We put 7 hours on it. The first 5 were smooth the last 2 it did run a little rough. It was cutting out at about 4800 rpm the whole time and was told because the carb was to small (750 holly).

What did the pistons look like? Wonder if it was detonating and not running out of carb.

Your ad here

Reaction score
We've got some time on the water with the 502. We were in Havasu last weekend and yesterday and on Parker today. This is a fun boat. A throttle pedal, jet, and 502 are a fun combo.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Around $10k. The aluminum heads got rebuilt and installed on the 502. A new carb, ignition, fuel pump, oil pan, and some other things. Had the boat gone through as well. Had the rear resealed and new seals in the jet.