WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New to Spectra Marine

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Tuesday Night, Go Pedal mount done, check it off...also ordered fuel fills and oil cooler brackets from the new Dana Marine today, been trying to get them since July.

001.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg
014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
My pile of unpolished has gotten smaller! Cave Pedal, sterring brackets, transon angle for filters and fuel pump and hatch hinge mounts done. only thing left on the bench right now are engine rails, I need to do these again.

IMG_0703.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
when it comes to boats and many other things, I have always been influenced by my Dad, growing up around his wood decker and watching him build and rig things influenced the way I see things and expect them to look. There was one thing that cought my attention when I was very young that wasnt my dads doing but my cousin Lee.
Lee had a 69 Eliminator Flat with a 426 Hemi, the thing had evey type of induction on it you could imiagine, from Webers to Blowers and twin dominators with a nitros shot, Lee was always playing. The part of that boat that stuck with me all these years were his oil filters, ya oil filters, as a kid riding in the back seat with a blown Hemi and I dug the filters. Lee had two remote filters with cool finned aluminum covers and I was always going to have those too. I have one on my flat but you really dont see it, well I decided that I wated to see them on the Spectra. I am running a remote oil filter and water seperators for each tank, these will mount to the aluminum channel running across the transom. I have had the covers for years but justr picked up the filter heads and they are way cool. I had to do a little shaping on the filter cover and i really like the way they came out, there will be three of these things across the back. Was able to locate a short water seperator that fits inside the cover! I was thinking I would have to cut a hole for the drain plug but these all fit real nice, local NAPA guy is great and found these for me.

IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0719.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Spent a couple days on the boat, built a shield / box for my fuel valve, mocked up filters and fuel pump on transom angle. Not happy with the degree of angle they are sitting at, going to fabricate some angel need 78 degree vs 90 to get everything sitting straight. Holidays are coming got some vacation time planned to work on the Spectra. New computer I haven't figured out Windows 8 yet, the sideways pic shows straight up before I upload it??

IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0765.jpg
IMG_0764.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Was thinking about just painting the top of my fuel pump but them I came across these cool coil covers, a little fab work and now it's a fuel pump cover. Still cant get the pics to go straight, if anyone knows how to correct this let me know, all are upright on my computer, windows 8 is the change I have made since the pics started going sideways.

IMG_0771.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0775.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Finished fuel pump mount and a little polishing. I may have gone a little too ornate on the mount, I had to get the top of the angle down to 3/32 for the rubber grommet to fit and have the pump housing mesh with the motor. I need to fab up a strap using the mounting boss from the cover and tie it in with the angle, should keep it from flexing, almost cut that boos off last night. Doing some actual install next week, now I get burn my finger tips up polishing bolts.

IMG_0778.jpg
IMG_0779.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
built the brackets to hang the filters and fuel pump, had to make a 78 degree angel out of a 90. Used a lot heat and hydraulic press and we got it, the filters all hang straight now not laid back. Also finished up ski tow, had to make a stainless plug for the bottom of the tube, welded a 1/2" nut to it and then welded the plug to the tube, the ski tow is bolted down from under the 4 inch angle an the bottom hosing is done the same way.

IMG_0812.jpg
IMG_0813.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Got some good time on the Spectra this past weekend! I have always hated the RED morse cables, and no one is making replacements for the Morse dual helm units, so 3m makes a very cool heavy heat shrink in many sizes. I used some 3/4" heat shrink over the cable and it worked great, hope it lasts but for now better then the red!. We hooked up the cables to the tiller and was very happy, it looked great and everything was straight as an arrow! until I tried to turn the rudder:grumble:

I sucked at geometry in High School and it but me in the butt here. I, along with my dad have always had flatbottoms with either chain and pulley steering or my dad has Calgo in his, first time for this Morse set up. We knew there would be an arc in the range of motion as the cables push back and forth, we just did not calculate enough room for the full arc, so the rudder only turned 30 degrees, Crap! So after sulking for a little while game plan was on and everything comes back out, just need to open the hole that the cable and the support rod come thru, problem is that they come thru 3/8 angle, 2" stringers and 1/4 angle. So got everything re-shaped, re-resin coated, re-polished and re-installed, happy to say have a full range of motion, and I like the oval hole better.

I also built some backing plates for my exhaust tips, getting closer every trip!

IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg

nrbr

Reaction score
That blue really pops in the sun !! Looking good

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Was able to get on the Spectra a bit, we finished up on the steering, exhaust tips and Cav plates. I have 4 of the turnbuckles at my brothers shop getting cut down. Back up North in two weeks finish up the underwater gear. The rudder will be cut down and I am making an aluminum cap to cover it and blend to the rudder support

IMG_0960.jpg
IMG_0964.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0963.jpg

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Nice job, can you step it up a little, I'm getting kinda old.:D

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Too funny my kids have said the same thing to me... In the fable of the Tortoise and the Hair, I am the guy behind the Tortoise :)

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Knocked out some more on the Spectra this weekend.
When I was initially setting up the cav plates I didn't like the way the control arm mounted up so I flipped it over and liked the radius on the back side better, it matched my transom bosses so a little welding and shaping and the bolts are all hidden as well. So I had all the ready to rock but then another problem surfaced with the clevis connecting to the rod, (I always sucked at geometry) there wasn't enough clearance because I changed the angle by running the arm upside down and I couldn't swing the clevis level. Fortunately Connelly marine had the part I needed, so I ordered it last week, its an extra long clevis and it worked perfect!!! The other issue I ran into was I didn't have any 3/8 pins long enough for the control arm, so I made a couple. I used 1/2 stainless rod just needed 1 but in case I lose one I made a spare to throw in my boat bag. I really like the way the pins came out and I may change over all my turnbuckle pins to this style. I like only having to use an e clip on 1 side and the button head is a nice look.
I spent a lot of time on my Dads lathe this weekend (slow just like everything else I do) made the cap for the top of the rudder and a sleeve for the bottom part of the rudder under the tiller. The rudder is a Bronze unit and just stuck out like a sore thumb so know everything is polished and no gold showing.
its hard to seen in the picture (the picture is upside down I didn't flip the boat again)but got the blast plates on, ran out of bolts for the strut so the plates on the side of the strut are just finger tight that's why the head is not flush. The plates are like a ferrying I guess, gives the appearance of a drop thru strut, and should be good for some extra speed, just kidding it looked cool when the boat was upside down, now if I run someone over they can comment on it.

IMG_0990.jpg
IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg
IMG_0998.jpg

nrbr

Reaction score
I think you and I are the only ones left in here hahahaha. What's next??

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Ya everyone else finished and is out using their boats.... up next is gauges wiring and install the engine. that will probably take me 2 years :)

Forensic

No Title
Reaction score
I'm still watching and working on mine. It's been at islander for a long time but should be finished up in another couple weeks. Fingers crossed..

I didn't have the patience to do a full restore all at once like you do. I do something every winter and then tow it back to Parker for the summers. I can't wait to get back out there.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I don't know if its patience or Stupidity that I did this all at once, I bought the boat for a cruiser and to have one to not be all fussy about...I guess that changed. I am fortunate that I have a flat bottom that I love and we are a flat bottom family so we aren't without a boat. My dad laughs at me since I have always torn everything apart that I get started with my first Schwinn, VW, ElCamino, Sanger, hell I tore down my house when we bought it, I see a theme in my life here :) (VW, Sanger House all got finished, the El Camino....that's a different story but its on the burner right after the Spectra. I have owned the 65 El Camino since I was 16, my Uncle gave it to me and he was the original owner! I have everything for it all stainless was polished or new back in 88. it was about 90% restored, body work done and then I built my first Sanger and got a taste of a BBC, and the plans changed and then life happened, kids, house other projects.... My uncle is 90 now and I really want to finish this thing so he can see it. My family gets attached to things like this, My dad has a 54 GMC that came from the Same man, 71 GMC Suburban from my Grandfather, my cousin has a 57 GMC truck that came from my Grandfather as well.

091.jpg
092.jpg
093.jpg

stickman07

Reaction score
Ya everyone else finished and is out using their boats.... up next is gauges wiring and install the engine. that will probably take me 2 years :)

looking great Cliff. Mine is back at Performance Marine for it's yearly updates. Hope it's not another 2 years to see yours wet...:D

hpltree

Reaction score
i dont have the words on how great this boat looks.. i love the way you and your pops dropped the boat on the trailer.. but i did find a mess up in the build.. sea how the nuts or bolts dont line up? not good . :D

test float 002.jpg

hpltree

Reaction score
just kidding i could only wish of doing a build like this .. carry on :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
That's too funny, Dad and I argued about those bolts... but with the trailer on the truck and a level on the bolts they are dead nuts flat :D Appreciate the compliments and we are on the home stretch, I think I actually have everything in my possession less two Carbs and my Vertex Mag look a like but I am ordering next week. Also just tucked the cash away for my interior.

Is that your 19 in the avatar? love that boat, ran into a guy at Kings River last summer with an all original one that was just beautiful, would mind having a Vdrive 19.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Took some mid week time off and headed north. I Liked the pin I made for my Cav control arm so much I replaced all the turn buckle pins with them as well, and while I was at it figured I change the flat bottom over too. No wonder I have been on this project so long, I am not the fastest guy on a lathe so 24 pins (had to make some extra for when I loose some) later and we can move on to something else.

Laid out gauges and decided I needed one more, so adding another water temp gauge and running left and right temp gauges.

Got the hatch on, everything still lines up and all buttoned up under there less plumbing, wiring and bilge pump. Next trip I am hopeful we will set the engine in, she is all ground and smoothed and waiting for paint and final touches.

IMG_1055.jpg
IMG_1058.jpg
IMG_1059.jpg
IMG_1062.jpg
photo 1.jpg
photo.jpg

hpltree

Reaction score
yes sir thats my little baby .. lol

look behind you.jpg
babies ears.jpg

hpltree

Reaction score
thats funny i grew up on a flat bottom stevens from kings river named its about time comp orange and black with a pontiac 400 in it ill get pics

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
So what years and where did you camp? Our family has been going there with friends since the early 70' we are on our 4th generation now and we love our flat bottoms! usually have 4 to 6 with us each time, stayed at Lindys, Royal Oaks and Now back at Lindys.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Engine coming together, received my Mag look a like this week, need to route plug wires and cut length, carbs should be here next week!

IMG_1081.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Great weekend with my dad and got some work done.
Laid out Cleats and drilled all the holes, I went with these 6" slim line units from GEM products, stainless units and very smooth, they have inserts that keep them from rattling and the pull and push very nice also have a nice heavy black plactic gasket to keep from digging into the top deck, just had to make some backing plates for the underside.

I have been going back and forth on where to mount my Bilge Blower and more importantly the vents, I decided to mount to the hatch, the hose tucks nicely and is hardly noticeable with the hatch is up. Also you have to crawl up over the Hatch when you get in the boat on the water, placing the handles with the vents will assist with getting in the boat as well as giving us something to grab when putting the boat back on the trailer. We were looking at the hose connection on the vent, once the thing is upholstered there wont be a lot of material to clamp a hose to, my dad came up with an aluminum pipe, he has had it around the garage since the 60's, it was perfect for what we needed. aluminum reducer, 2.5 to 3 pipe, a little work in the lathe and bam we have the part. I didn't take pics of how this is mounted but I put dad to work on the lathe, he machined about an 1/8" lid on the top that keeps the part from dropping thru the hatch but fits into the recess on the vent, very cool and way better than plastic.

I am running a couple water temp gauges on the heads but also two electric water temp gauges in the dash. I like to get temps from both heads so I am running two sending units and had an idea how to hide them. Machined an aluminum cap to hide the sending unit, the wire will run down the "bullet" and I can tuck it along the block. thinking we can fill the bullet with silicone and cover the sending unit, no metal touching and securing the part, was going to tap the inside of the part but afraid of screwing up the temp reading.

Engine will go with me next time and we can set it in and mount it finally, all parts are in for engine, just need to make up a linkage, I have a couple ideas for that. I also need to get rid of the gold on the carb linkage, they were supposed to come black but the builder forgot to do that. Also need to pick up a couple carb spacers, thinking black would look good under the carbs and break up the aluminum.

IMG_1155.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1152.jpg
IMG_1154.jpg
IMG_1175.jpg
IMG_1176.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg

Last edited:

73mandella

Reaction score
Hey Cliff,

I'm finally working the Mandella. Any idea how I can get in touch with Ken or Mark? I need to find out if they can tell me where to get some paint because I need to touch up some scratches.

Thanks,

Richard

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Lou, Kens son in law still is at b+k, helping with transition to new owner Tony. He seems to be there daily. He may be able to help, Kens up there in age and memory, but he does still go past shop every now and then. Goodluck

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Richard, the good thing is that the red was a stock color, I just cant remember from who? I have not talked to Mark in two years, I have tried to call but have not gotten in touch, I believe his numbers have changed. Ill see if I can talk with Ken and see if he recalls what red it was. Do you remember what it was? if so you can pick up a pint of it pretty much at any paint shop, Finish Masters right over on Rosecrans could supply it, they may even be able to color match for you.

73mandella

Reaction score
Good to hear it's a stock color. Thanks for getting back to me. What's Mark's last name. Maybe I can check around to see if I can find him.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Did a little project, made the air cleaner cover. Not putting the emblems on the side of the hull, possibly just one on the dash (passenger side) so I figured this would be a good use.

IMG_1207.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Shot up north for a couple days with a buddy (Fitzpatrick with the Purple Spectra) we got the engine set in the Spectra! all went well but I changed my mind on setting air scoop forward, I was going to have to mock up some spacers and then the thing just looked stupid from behind, started to resemble E.T. Turned the scoop around and call it good. need to revamp the engine hatch a tad but over all I like the look. Velvet Drive mount done, need to finish shaping and polish it up along with exhaust manifolds.

IMG_1234.jpg
IMG_1235.jpg
IMG_1236.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg

73mandella

Reaction score
Looks like your project is coming along. We finally got the Mandella done and went on vacation. We unfortunately did not have an opportunity for a shakedown run before leaving for Northern California and experienced several days of down time due to a variety of problems. One problem we cannot fix is the paint peeling off the bottom of the hull. My concern is that it will continue to peel. Did you paint or gel coat your hull? Richard

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I took all the old gel coat off with 36 grit, repaired and changed the bottom, then gel coated as a primer and painted the bottom. where are you peeling at?

73mandella

Reaction score
The bottom on the hull near the fins to the right and left and back towards the transom. The areas that are peeling vary in size from 2 to 3 inches wide and 5 to 6 inches long. I'm just wondering if there is a way to stop it.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I turned the air scoop around on the engine, not a big deal except that I made the hatch to fit the scoop going the other way. I was able to reshape that hatch opening and also made a trim piece that will screw down over the upholstery as it wraps into the opening. With the trim piece on you cant tell it was a do over..just need to shoot a little clear on some sanded areas and hopefully call this good

IMG_1308.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1315.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
shape and polish these brackets and move on to plumbing and electrical...

photo.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I hate polishing.. brackets are done and I picked up the actuator the hatch, wasn't too thrilled with the way the motor looked so off to the Hot Rod shop for another coil cover. The motor has a larger diameter than my fuel pump so I couldn't use the same type of cover, i had to take quite a bit of material off to get it to fit, not sure I am sticking with this..

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo hatchactuator.jpg

TBulger

Reaction score
Amazing, you have more patience than Mother Teresa. Best to you sir. :)

spectracular

Reaction score
I hate polishing.. brackets are done and I picked up the actuator the hatch, wasn't too thrilled with the way the motor looked so off to the Hot Rod shop for another coil cover. The motor has a larger diameter than my fuel pump so I couldn't use the same type of cover, i had to take quite a bit of material off to get it to fit, not sure I am sticking with this..

Looks great...2 questions...How did you polish the pieces? I have a lot that I will be making and will want to polish...wasnt sure if there is some secret method to getting a good polish quickly.

2nd question...I have a cnc router which I think/hope can cut aluminum...If I can help you out with simple pieces (flat) please let me know...?

Joel

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Thanks Joel! I just kicked the dog because these are literally the final pieces.. I hope. For polishing its all about sanding, I use a DA and sand the pieces down, usually go with 180 up to 320 or what ever paper I have for the DA at the time. I discovered Zepher buffing pads and they are awesome, I got them at a local truck (semi) shop. Look up Zepher polishing on line. I don't use all pads and rouge that they have, I believe they have 5 levels of buffing pads and rouge. I usually use 3 steps, start with a Black rouge, go to Brown and finish up with White or blue, the pads correspond with the color of rouge

spectracular

Reaction score
Thanks Joel! I just kicked the dog because these are literally the final pieces.. I hope. For polishing its all about sanding, I use a DA and sand the pieces down, usually go with 180 up to 320 or what ever paper I have for the DA at the time. I discovered Zepher buffing pads and they are awesome, I got them at a local truck (semi) shop. Look up Zepher polishing on line. I don't use all pads and rouge that they have, I believe they have 5 levels of buffing pads and rouge. I usually use 3 steps, start with a Black rouge, go to Brown and finish up with White or blue, the pads correspond with the color of rouge

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I have been sanding till about 600 with the DA...sucks...and then using the polisher too...just never used rouge...I will give it a try.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Working on the floors, I am going to have 4 removable floor sections. The floors under the deck are glassed in but everything else will be removable. The center section stops at the rear of the back seat and then ill have two rear floors. The rear floors will match the hatch, clear birch but I will add a painted border that will mirror the design on the boat just leaving the center of the floor clear.
I couldn't find any 3/4" birch so I needed to laminate 1/8 and 3/8 together, with the glass build up, ill get my thickness. first step was to laminate the two pieces together, top the Birch with some cloth and then cover the bottom with Matt and Cloth. the disadvantage of having the boat up north is I have to wait to get a final shape on these. once I fine tune the shape I'll wrap the edges with cloth as well to encapsulate the wood and then paint them up.

top laminate.jpg
top cloth drapped.jpg
bottom cloth wet.jpg
bottom matt 4.jpg
bottom matt cloth2.jpg

rhskate

Reaction score
The two sections in front.of my engine compartment are 3/4 in plexiglass with a snap in carpet. You can check out the drive line works real easy.

spectracular

Reaction score
The two sections in front.of my engine compartment are 3/4 in plexiglass with a snap in carpet. You can check out the drive line works real easy.

Pretty cool idea! Any issues with water getting in/around/under the removable sections? Silicone I guess would help seal them.

74 spectra20 v-drive -- what are in those 2 boxes ? :)