WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Obnoxious Racing Engines and Racetech Pistons

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see where the break/crack initiated. Unless its an optical illusion caused by the shot peening, it looks as if the radius was increased in that lower pocket area in the newer version. Obviously torque played a role and anyone running these older style may want to look into doing some dye penetrant testing to see if theirs are cracked before reinstalling them during a rebuild.

Yes, beyond the shot peen, there are some design changes. Speaking with Jesel, they suggest that if the rocker has been damaged by over tightening the adjuster nut, the adjuster will not turn easily. Paul decided it would be prudent to change them all out even though it appeared that the remaining rockers were ok by the Jesel method.

What kind of spring pressures are you running?

Pretty mild, about 600 open. Jesel and others I talked to said that should not be what's hurting the rockers.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Ran really well today. I ran it to the dam and back. Tons of torque. Never pushed it much past 4k. It was doing 63.8 at 4 thousand rpm. That's a respectable cruise. I'll go through and retorque the intake and headers. Pull plugs. And just check everything out before it hits the water again. I think it's going to be just fine though.

tony

Reaction score
Ran really well today. I ran it to the dam and back. Tons of torque. Never pushed it much past 4k. It was doing 63.8 at 4 thousand rpm. That's a respectable cruise. I'll go through and retorque the intake and headers. Pull plugs. And just check everything out before it hits the water again. I think it's going to be just fine though.
It should tons of torque with 4-3/4 inch stroke!!! That's a big arm in that beast...😜

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score

Can't wait to see and hear this thing at the regatta in a couple weeks.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Can't wait to see and hear this thing at the regatta in a couple weeks.

I'd like to hear it too. Lol. I gotta have Lee run it before I ever run it hard to make sure my plates are set and it's safe and that he's happy with whatever prop is on it. At least if he makes a pass I can see and hear it run.

BamBam

Reaction score
I'd like to hear it too. Lol. I gotta have Lee run it before I ever run it hard to make sure my plates are set and it's safe and that he's happy with whatever prop is on it. At least if he makes a pass I can see and hear it run.

What are you anticipating the top speed to be?
What prop did you end up with on there?
Glad to hear it's back in the water and running well

obnoxious001

Reaction score

I will jump in and answer that. At this point it would only be a wild guess without knowing the gear or even the horsepower of the engine I just put back together with no dyno run. It's very strong at 4,000 rpm, that's all that we currently know.

Paul is doing the right thing by double checking after the "mystery" problem with the rocker arms.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
What prop did you end up with on there?
Glad to hear it's back in the water and running well

Thanks man. Haven't even looked for a prop yet really. I'm just getting confidence that everything is working. Breaking it in slowly being super careful. This motor was supposedly 80k new? In 1996 that's more than just about anything you could buy for a boat. I'm not taking any chances with it. [emoji51]

That being said it has so much power. It literally lifts out of the water at like half throttle. Getting on top of stuff is effortless. At that cruise it's going to run in the 90's pretty easily I believe. That's about all my expectations are. Anything more is a bonus. I won't be out there pushing it past that though. There's too many other boats that are always going to be faster. This is just a cruiser with a hatch and full floor. If I can run around with Uncle Gary's blue boat and Bigs brown boat that's all I need. When the red boats are in the water I'll go watch at Fox's.

BamBam

Reaction score
Thanks man. Haven't even looked for a prop yet really. I'm just getting confidence that everything is working. Breaking it in slowly being super careful. This motor was supposedly 80k new? In 1996 that's more than just about anything you could buy for a boat. I'm not taking any chances with it. [emoji51]

That being said it has so much power. It literally lifts out of the water at like half throttle. Getting on top of stuff is effortless. At that cruise it's going to run in the 90's pretty easily I believe. That's about all my expectations are. Anything more is a bonus. I won't be out there pushing it past that though. There's too many other boats that are always going to be faster. This is just a cruiser with a hatch and full floor. If I can run around with Uncle Gary's blue boat and Bigs brown boat that's all I need. When the red boats are in the water I'll go watch at Fox's.

I'm happy to hear you are getting it worked out. I wish I could make it back out there next weekend. (Oh... if I had a transmission in my boat that is. I don't have a crew show up like Big)
I'll join you at Fox's when the red boats come out to play (unless one of them needs a pilot or co-pilot) :)

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Breaking it in slowly being super careful.

It's broken in now, just need to check stuff over and go run it one day after work! Wasn't but about 3 or 4 boats on the water between my place and RR late this afternoon!

stoker22405

Reaction score
So how did this motor end up running....What kind of speeds did you see?

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Finally got some props to try. It's got a three blade on it that is scary at speed or I should say scary if you let off the gas. Finally got some props to try and the tranny gave out, or it's not shimmed right and the pump isn't working. Having some spacers cut down so I determine if the trans is dead or not. [emoji51]

stoker22405

Reaction score
Finally got some props to try. It's got a three blade on it that is scary at speed or I should say scary if you let off the gas. Finally got some props to try and the tranny gave out, or it's not shimmed right and the pump isn't working. Having some spacers cut down so I determine if the trans is dead or not. [emoji51]

Bummer on the trans....Keep up posted on the results....

Outdrive1

Reaction score

Ran it last weekend. Motor runs great, makes tons of low end power. I’ve pretty much gone through the entire boat now. Motor. Trans. Fuel system. I can’t wait for the season to start so I can get some seat time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outdrive1

Reaction score
IMG_9239.JPG
IMG_9236.JPG

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Why wait? ;)

True. I find myself using Hooters all the time. It’s easy. I can launch and retrieve her in the Keys by myself and and the Outboard is 99 percent fool proof plus it’s semi fuel efficient. I don’t mind the dogs in it either.

But yes it’s pretty much ready. I’m already obsessing over detailing it. It’s pretty much flawless and I find every nick in it and obsess. Pretty much why I couldn’t even look at my 24 anymore. All I see is the flaws. [emoji51] Hooters for some reason I really don’t care about.

I was already thinking about having Adrenaline detail it so I could use it again. [emoji849]

Hammer

Reaction score
Looking good paul. Can I drive it? Hehe

franky

Reaction score
Paul, who does your machine work in Havasu. Thanks

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Paul, who does your machine work in Havasu. Thanks
Actually I had the machine work done, since I put the engine together. Gary Kincaid helped us out, he does great work but usually is not going to be the fastest. I had previously used JD Machine, but heard they just sold last week, have not confirmed that. Paul did take the heads to JD Machine to be pressure tested and surfaced.

franky

Reaction score
Gary is IMO the best....seams like he turned your mains issue around pretty fast.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Gary is IMO the best....seams like he turned your mains issue around pretty fast.
Not sure who you are, and I am certainly not bagging on him, just telling the truth. I didn't know you were trying to give him a plug, it appeared you were asking a question. I consider him to be a good friend, and have been having him do all my work, with the exception of balancing that I send to an old friend in California. Honestly, many times it takes way longer than what I would expect or am promised to get my work done, just the facts.

franky

Reaction score
I get it and agree...still the best