WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OCMerrill's new to him ZJ

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
ynypemyg.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg IMG_6106.jpg IMG_6107.jpg IMG_6103.jpg IMG_6105.jpg IMG_6104.jpg IMG_6100.jpg IMG_6102.jpg IMG_6101.jpg 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo -

5.5" Pro Comp short arm lift
Some heim joint heavy duty steering
Front cross bracing for the steering box
Fox 2.0's
Some real noisy mud bog tires (who buys that shit?)
Gas tank skid

And that's it.

Now WTF was I thinking? Truth is I have always wanted to build one of these. Problem is I don't want to have $30k wrapped up into something that might be worth $7500 to the right victim and if this one is sold to make payroll like my LJ was I just don't want the $20k given away. I paid $3.7k for this as it sits.

The Good:
1. its a 1996 - This is the 1st of three years 96, 97, and 98 where all the V8 and I6 Drive train is interchangeable (minus the bell housing). Meaning Axles, transfer cases, shafts can move between vehicles. Why is that important...I will spell that out in the cons.

2. Has an I6 and not a magnum V8. V8 known fact they dont make that much power and dont live long. A well serviced I6 you cant kill.

3. The small I6 Auto is actually a better trans overall for longevity. 42RE vrs a 45RFE for the V8.

4. Roomy but not big. Trail size.

5. In this one everything works in spite of the 186k miles on it. Everything from the auto headlights to the AC to the lift gate wiper washer. Its loaded. More options than my dodge truck.

6. Its white with Grey interior and not Ruby Red or Green like 80% of these stupid things.

7. Car fax was super clean, bought new in Torrance and I am owner 6 but really owner 3 as the guy I bought it from passed the title through his kids.

8. Never an accident and service records 2" thick.

The Bad:
There is a list of things that have to be changed before I run out in the desert or mountains.

1. NP 247 Full Time transfer case - Full time high or 4 low and the 4 low is not true locked 4 low. The suckers transfer case is Vicious Coupled. Connected by clutches and fluid. No thanks.

2. Dana 35 Rear axle - LMFAO. I am not wasting a nickle on that POS.

3. Needs Recovery and because its a uni-body real bumpers need to be put on. Everything for this deal is order and wait. That part is a CON.

4. The 15 x 8 steelies and 33's are going in favor of 16" with 315-70's so I will have big 34's. 35's require a hatchet and a chainsaw but that's not exactly out of the question.

5. No Lockers - Limited slip in the front and rear. The computer applies the breaks when a wheel slips, transferring the TQ to the other wheel. Thats the Quadra Drive claim to fame. Pass.

I will add more as I go here. Pics of what it is and as I modify it. My goal is to shoot for a max of $6k in parts. Total under 10k.

So 1st mods are:
NP247 Goes and a NP 242 goes in. Cheap, easy swap, plug and play. Still gives 4 time 4wd if you select it but it has a dif inside and no Viscous unit and a locked 4 hi and low. $450
Dana 35 goes and a swapped Dana 44 goes in - $450
Then lockers? Hmmm....?

Hansen Front Bumper
Used winch somewhere
Rock hard rear bumper and tire carrier
Rock Hard Cage - A Must. Those of us that have flopped know why
CB
HAM - Thanks River now maybe I can get this going
Some LED lighting

I may long arm it. If I do then the budget grows about $2k but I can stiffen the Uni-Body.

So lets see what I can do with this. Thanks for reading.
e6ema6a8.jpg

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
ynypemyg.jpg

View attachment 304456 View attachment 304457 View attachment 304458 View attachment 304459 View attachment 304460 View attachment 304461 View attachment 304462 View attachment 304463 View attachment 304464 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo -

5.5" Pro Comp short arm lift
Some heim joint heavy duty steering
Front cross bracing for the steering box
Fox 2.0's
Some real noisy mud bog tires (who buys that shit?)
Gas tank skid

And that's it.

Now WTF was I thinking? Truth is I have always wanted to build one of these. Problem is I don't want to have $30k wrapped up into something that might be worth $7500 to the right victim and if this one is sold to make payroll like my LJ was I just don't want the $20k given away. I paid $3.7k for this as it sits.

The Good:
1. its a 1996 - This is the 1st of three years 96, 97, and 98 where all the V8 and I6 Drive train is interchangeable (minus the bell housing). Meaning Axles, transfer cases, shafts can move between vehicles. Why is that important...I will spell that out in the cons.

2. Has an I6 and not a magnum V8. V8 known fact they dont make that much power and dont live long. A well serviced I6 you cant kill.

3. The small I6 Auto is actually a better trans overall for longevity. 42RE vrs a 45RFE for the V8.

4. Roomy but not big. Trail size.

5. In this one everything works in spite of the 186k miles on it. Everything from the auto headlights to the AC to the lift gate wiper washer. Its loaded. More options than my dodge truck.

6. Its white with Grey interior and not Ruby Red or Green like 80% of these stupid things.

7. Car fax was super clean, bought new in Torrance and I am owner 6 but really owner 3 as the guy I bought it from passed the title through his kids.

8. Never an accident and service records 2" thick.

The Bad:
There is a list of things that have to be changed before I run out in the desert or mountains.

1. NP 247 Full Time transfer case - Full time high or 4 low and the 4 low is not true locked 4 low. The suckers transfer case is Vicious Coupled. Connected by clutches and fluid. No thanks.

2. Dana 35 Rear axle - LMFAO. I am not wasting a nickle on that POS.

3. Needs Recovery and because its a uni-body real bumpers need to be put on. Everything for this deal is order and wait. That part is a CON.

4. The 15 x 8 steelies and 33's are going in favor of 16" with 315-70's so I will have big 34's. 35's require a hatchet and a chainsaw but that's not exactly out of the question.

5. No Lockers - Limited slip in the front and rear. The computer applies the breaks when a wheel slips, transferring the TQ to the other wheel. Thats the Quadra Drive claim to fame. Pass.

I will add more as I go here. Pics of what it is and as I modify it. My goal is to shoot for a max of $6k in parts. Total under 10k.

So 1st mods are:
NP247 Goes and a NP 242 goes in. Cheap, easy swap, plug and play. Still gives 4 time 4wd if you select it but it has a dif inside and no Viscous unit and a locked 4 hi and low. $450
Dana 35 goes and a swapped Dana 44 goes in - $450
Then lockers? Hmmm....?

Hansen Front Bumper
Used winch somewhere
Rock hard rear bumper and tire carrier
Rock Hard Cage - A Must. Those of us that have flopped know why
CB
HAM - Thanks River now maybe I can get this going
Some LED lighting

I may long arm it. If I do then the budget grows about $2k but I can stiffen the Uni-Body.

So lets see what I can do with this. Thanks for reading.
e6ema6a8.jpg

You have this well thought out, looking forward to watching it come together. :thumbup:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Bad ass :thumbup:

Electronic "limited slip" sucks.
I'm not a fan of it on-road or off-road...I don't like the car cutting power on its own.

And viscous diffs might work on-road for cars under warranty, but that shit is expensive to service and is easily killed off-road.

Those things are relatively easy to overcome, you got a great deal on that thing.
I bet if you looked real hard, you'd be hard-pressed to find another one equipped like that, in that condition and for that price.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Bad ass :thumbup:

Electronic "limited slip" sucks.
I'm not a fan of it on-road or off-road...I don't like the car cutting power on its own.

And viscous diffs might work on-road for cars under warranty, but that shit is expensive to service and is easily killed off-road.

Those things are relatively easy to overcome, you got a great deal on that thing.
I bet if you looked real hard, you'd be hard-pressed to find another one equipped like that, in that condition and for that price.

Thanks. Its a cheap way to get me back in.

Rebuilding the existing transfer case is pretty easy and not too costly except for that one part in there called the Vicious Coupler LOL. Super big money for nothing worth a single rock in the dirt.

A 242 should suit me fine and as long as I find a MFG date past 11/95 its a bolt in. I have actually already found several of both the 242 and the Dana 44 on car-parts.com. I am just not sure how far I want to go to chase them. If a 96 up ZJ comes up for sale with a V8 for cheap I just might buy it and take it apart.

Once that's settled I will buy some shafts for both, put a Detroit in the 44 and some selectable in the front, and change the gears to 4.56.

Then I can run with River all day long. ;)

Truthfully everyone always hunts XJ's and they bring more money because of it. I guess you have to like the Grands cladding. LOL

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Thanks. Its a cheap way to get me back in.

Rebuilding the existing transfer case is pretty easy and not too costly except for that one part in there called the Vicious Coupler LOL. Super big money for nothing worth a single rock in the dirt.

A 242 should suit me fine and as long as I find a MFG date past 11/95 its a bolt in. I have actually already found several of both the 242 and the Dana 44 on car-parts.com. I am just not sure how far I want to go to chase them. If a 96 up ZJ comes up for sale with a V8 for cheap I just might buy it and take it apart.

Once that's settled I will buy some shafts for both, put a Detroit in the 44 and some selectable in the front, and change the gears to 4.56.

Then I can run with River all day long. ;)

Truthfully everyone always hunts XJ's and they bring more money because of it. I guess you have to like the Grands cladding. LOL

I heard the GC come with a less sought after aluminum housing d44?

Is that what you are looking for or is there a standard d44 that works?

My dad just did Yukon air lockers 4:56, shafts in his xj. He built the rear with a take out d44.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Maybe we should make Cleghorn our first run, LMAO!

That place cracks me up. I have seen more drama there than anywhere else. Flops and broken shit and you stand back and think its a fucking dirt road.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I heard the GC come with a less sought after aluminum housing d44?

Is that what you are looking for or is there a standard d44 that works?

My dad just did Yukon air lockers 4:56, shafts in his xj. He built the rear with a take out d44.

WJ's with the 4.7 V8 have that alum housing D44.

4:56 is perfect. Exactly where I'm headed.

Even a TJ or LJ Dana 44 will bolt in but the ZJ stuff has Disk Brakes. I want to keep those.

I hate trail breakage from things I know better about. That Dana 35 in a buddies Jeep ruined my Rubicon trip 5 years ago. He now has a Ford 8.8 in there with disks and a locker from Ford. Over Thanksgiving I was checking it out and it works very well. Thats an option but I really dont want to handle that much fab work.

Hammer

Reaction score
How strong are those D44's axles ?
Will they handle a bigger tire , like a 37 on the trails ?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
How strong are those D44's axles ?
Will they handle a bigger tire , like a 37 on the trails ?

Your pushing a 44 on 37's. Aftermarket axles, sleeves or a truss will help. There typically good with 35's

Hammer

Reaction score
Your pushing a 44 on 37's. Aftermarket axles, sleeves or a truss will help. There typically good with 35's

Typically good with STOCK D44 axles and 35's ?

The Rubi has a D44 from the factory right ?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Typically good with STOCK D44 axles and 35's ?

The Rubi has a D44 from the factory right ?

Yes...typically jk's also have a bigger ring gear than the standard 44.

Truss or sleeves and gussets for the xj's and you will be good to go unless you beat on it. Lots of tire spin and then sudden stops kills axels.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
44's work with 37's and can live well with an auto trans.

The problem is the front axle. Even a Rubi with the 44 is not really a true 44 axle. It has 30 tubes, outer joints and knuckles. They bend (enter trusses), break, and don't like rocks. I was hoping with the latest V6 and the coming diesel that Chrysler would change it but I have not read anywhere that is beefing up.

I think 35's are nearly perfect for 90% of what trails have to offer with the occasional pull of cable. IN JK Limo land I think that size might be 37's.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Well based on the fact that Cole Trickle was indeed correct all Dana 44's that are a direct bolt in are 44a's. Aluminum housing and not a foolproof way to head. Very little internal part support even though they use the slightly larger ring gear that the new JK's use...their is zero available lockers besides a lunchbox ratchet from a Chinese socket set.

So we have found a Ford 8.8 1999 with 4.10's and disks. I will even attempt to get the abs working.

I will purchase this bracket kit and truss along with their inner C gusset and truss kit for the front Dana 30 and gear it to 4.10 and add a selectable locker.

http://www.artecindustries.com/ZJ-88-Swap-Kit-with-Truss-for-Grand-Cherokee-93-98_p_280.html

thumbnail.asp

Last edited: