WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Paddle size for the new RZR xp 900

Deckin Around

Reaction score
This is for you TPC...

Spent the morning with Dave and Joe at Fullerton Sand Sports in Stanton... wtf?

The guys at FSS had set up my old rzr with 26" 8 paddle tires so I was assuming they would bump up to a 9 or 10.... WRONG. They are going with the same tires they have has success with on the turbo rzrs'

In the late 80's Sand Tires Unlimited started making a tire specifically for motorcycle powered buggies. It starts life with 32 paddles all the smallest height paddle they make at 13/16". Paddles in this range are roughly either 1/3/16" or 13/16".

They shave half the paddles making it a 16 paddle, and then on some cars they shave half of every paddle on alternating sides, making a total of 16 "halfway across paddles"

Both Dave and Joe seem to think the XP900 will do fine with 16 full 13/16" paddles which is what I am going with. We can always partially shave them down more if needed, but that set-up is working well on big-bore turbo motors.

On the front: You have a few different options, I forgot the names but I'm going with the single centerline tread with buffed sides. Those tires are 2 weeks out.

I ordered 5 new beadlock rims and 5 bighorns also for the dirt (1 complete spare)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Dave told me the turbo Rzr S's were running 8 paddle for max effect.

Do I read this right,, you're going with 16 paddles per tire?

I'm blindsided. Wow.

Are you going to get the stock ITP's adjusted/exchanged through the dealer?

Last edited:

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Correct, 16 paddles per tire. I agree on the wow factor.

Possibly 16 paddles half way across if they grab too much

I think this is it with 1/2 cuts

paddle.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
the 16 paddles is a sand tires unlimited tire not a ITP or skat trak...

remember you want floation and then trim the paddle size for the hook up...

Reaction score
I would love to bring a tire grooving iron out to test. I have a small bit of experience with tire design. I just need an iron, 2-8 blades, (w-2 thru w-8) and your patience, along with your desire to drive the same loop about 40 times in a day. And about 24 tires. SOP.
In the real world, I think i can cut some great dune grooves, and match power to traction very well. I am always surprised to see UTV's with smooth front tires, using almost none of the avaliable traction. Sand is a directable terrain. It doesn't have to end up in your face.
On another note, why do no (rear) paddles have a turning groove?
I understand how they work, owning sand cars and the such, but my 4 seat car was much improved with a side bite groove thru the paddle.
Just my .02.
Input?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Excellent info DA. :thumbsup

Does your XP feel tipsy at all?
We're interested in how it drops into sand bowls from a sharp lip.

3 commander roll-overs on NY day at Glamis BTW. That's about half the Commanders that were there.

What off-set did you run on the wheels?
I'm rekoning 5" outside x 3" inside.

I appreciate you pioneering all this. I realize the expense and headaches of being the Pioneer.
When I've been the pioneer I got lots of arrows shot in my ass.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Excellent info DA. :thumbsup

Does your XP feel tipsy at all?
We're interested in how it drops into sand bowls from a sharp lip.

3 commander roll-overs on NY day at Glamis BTW. That's about half the Commanders that were there.

What off-set did you run on the wheels?
I'm rekoning 5" outside x 3" inside.

I appreciate you pioneering all this. I realize the expense and headaches of being the Pioneer.
When I've been the pioneer I got lots of arrows shot in my ass.

Tipsy... no. Lots of wheel spin and the thing drifts side to side easily in 2 and 4wd. It does feel tall, but it hasn't even picked up a wheel on me. It is Exactly as wide as my old rzr with a Long Travel Industries 15" travel kit so I just have to get used to it. I will feel better about testing it's limits in 2 weeks when the race cage is done.

The new dirt tires I ordered are on 4/3 offset beadlocks so they will make the car 1" wider on both sides which should be even better.

The sand tires and rims on my quote didn't say the offset, but it's a 10" wide rear and 8" wide front rim. I may not be the pioneer on the sand tires yet.

The owners of BRENTHEL INDUSTRIES http://www.brenthelindustries.com and BAJA KITS http://www.bajakits.com/
and I have decided to build my XP and another RZR 100% race ready and enter a few Races for fun just to get our feet wet in this class and see if it's something we want to do competitively. Jason at Fineline Suspension in Huntington beach wants to do the shock work for us but I'm pretty sure I want to put King stock replacements in until either Brenthel Ind or Long Travel Industries designs and fabs a long travel kit for testing.

Racing fees are no joke, along with the firesuits, fuel cell in car, fire suppression system, race radio and intercom, race seats, window nets :blah:

We have no trips to the sand planned anytime in the next 2+ months so I am holding off on the Paddles and front sand tires. Hopefully TPC, someone else will outfit a new Xp with that set-up and report back before you purchase yours.

I'm going out to my place in Johnson Valley this weekend and will put it through some tests.

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
the front off set is 5+3 5" inside to much stress and too much change in the truning radius if you use 3+5

for the rear its a 4+ 6

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I would love to bring a tire grooving iron out to test. I have a small bit of experience with tire design. I just need an iron, 2-8 blades, (w-2 thru w-8) and your patience, along with your desire to drive the same loop about 40 times in a day. And about 24 tires. SOP.
In the real world, I think i can cut some great dune grooves, and match power to traction very well. I am always surprised to see UTV's with smooth front tires, using almost none of the avaliable traction. Sand is a directable terrain. It doesn't have to end up in your face.
On another note, why do no (rear) paddles have a turning groove?
I understand how they work, owning sand cars and the such, but my 4 seat car was much improved with a side bite groove thru the paddle.
Just my .02.
Input?

My front smoothies on my Rzr S were perfect.
You could definitely feel them pull, and they didn't hook-up on the angles allowing more manueverability on the side of the bowls.

I know it sounds goofy, but I let those interested try my set-up and they came away convinced front buffs were the way to roll.

Dave with FSS has always been a good source of info for me. But one must hold the thought he is also interested in which tire/wheel line gives him the best profit as well as works good.

So even if he doesn't recommend a certain set-up,, it doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good set-up.

the front off set is 5+3 5" inside to much stress and too much change in the truning radius if you use 3+5

for the rear its a 4+ 6

Still some time before our Special Edition XP arrives, so one advantage is I can soak up all this info in the meantime before we drop the $$ on tires and wheels.

176332053250720013513563wkLoJO_ph-med.jpg

Oh,, ahh,, wait a minute wrong picture. Dis-re guard this one.

Ok here's the pic I mean't to post:
17633005-med.JPG

---------------

176335720322434.gif

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
me personally dont like the smooth buff... the cebter mohawk its its the itp, dunes, or skat traks the steering is night and day difference... then when your following big cars you dont follow the trail .... since this is a boat forum the front mohawks work like a rutter on a boat ..thats my 2 cents :D:D

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Buying the STU's/front mohawks for my RZR 4 this week from Dave,

The "uncut" mohawks (top) sometimes grabbed too much while duning (we're talking 15hp on rhinos, maybe 35 on RZR's in sand, the traction on these little things can be a bad thing grabbing a front tire while transitioning and coming up on a witch eye on a steep angle.

That said, Dave smoothed down a mohawk and has had success with it on the 4's. It's a 90 bucks more than smoothies but if you dune a lot, should work out nice.

$1,460 ain't cheap for rims/tires, but what else is on these little play toys.

$80 bucks a paddle for the comp cut , will try that next season.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
soooo.... 18,999 plus1460...== 20,459 plus seats ,roll cage, seat belts
ect,,,,hey lam'n getting expensive:rotflmao:

Last edited:

LowRiver2

Reaction score
$16,200 OTD with the 5 yr. warranty, was $15,700 without what I paid in Oct., have'nt heard of too many in so. Cal. selling for less.

Yes, a lot of sand cars going around for that easily, but I'll pass on a bus box/V6, seen too many grenade....:skull

For running around in Earp/Glamis, with a back seat for my kid, nothing else really worked. Was'nt going to pussy foot a sand car in Parker like I've seen so many others do and nothing out there close this year in 11foot long range with a back seat.

And if I want to go fast, I ride my CRF450, real dirt toys for men have handlebars, steering wheels are for family/partytime

Last edited:

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Here's what Dave did for the RZR 4's in paddle testing:

He got 3 stock 4's together about a year ago, at Olds hill

1. Doonz paddles

2. Skat Trak paddles

3. STU's paddles

First run: Driver only

Skats up first, STU's half car behind, Doonz 3rd.

Second run/Two people:

Skats pulled away at half way point, Skat's cleared top with STU's, Doonz made it 3/4 way up.

Third run/ 3 adults:

Doonz: 1/3 up
Skats: 3/4 up

STU's all the way up

The four seaters are a whole different ball game with the added passenger weight.

all three had buffs on front wheels.

The added power of the XP would certainly be helped with STU's but I"m sure the others would do good as these are 2 seaters without the weight concerns.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Just picked up the paddle set for less than I posted:champagne:

Dave said he climbed China Wall in a stock 4 by himself with this STU set up and comp cut.

I'm doing the comp cut next season, but watched a video of him driving with 3 adult men in it up the center of Olds from a dead stop in stock 4....Good enough for me

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Paddle tires....man we spent hours and hours drinking around gawd knows how many campfires discussing the subject. Back when I was young and strong, I welded up this "T" handle deal and welded a piece of plate at the end, & sharpened it with a grinder.
We used to heat it in the campfire and cut our own paddles with it. We could get about 3 cuts and had to heat it again.
i always wanted to try a set of 21.50-15's on the back of this and stagger cut them. More floatation would have been good, but I really didn't need anymore hookup.
I would have liked to try a set of razors on the front, but the smoothies worked...sort of.
All the floatation you can get and "enough" hookup...this is the secret...
15259My_favorite_angle_resized.JPG

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
sooooo.. did anyone get paddle tires for a rzr 900 xp?

Attachments

• shockrzr 003.jpg
    shockrzr 003.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 578

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Great thread. :thumbsup

I'm a firm believer in FSS. I told Joe what I wanted my quad to do, and he bent me over, charged me a fortune, and my quad came performing out EXACTLY how I wanted it to perform.

Those guys know their chit.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Great thread. :thumbsup

I'm a firm believer in FSS. I told Joe what I wanted my quad to do, and he bent me over, charged me a fortune, and my quad came performing out EXACTLY how I wanted it to perform.

Those guys know their chit.

LOL
So true...so true.

You can either buy from FSS...or see what FSS recommends to others, then buy elsewhere for less.

But those guys know their chit.
Just be prepared to spend an hour or two shooting the shit with them if you go to their shop. Great guys :thumbsup

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
looks like this thread got hi jacked,... any way,back on track about
xp9 paddles..

heres mine,,made my own fronts out of 29.5 swamp lites..

Attachments

• paddles 003.jpg
    paddles 003.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 588
  • paddles 013.jpg
    paddles 013.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 521
  • paddles 006.jpg
    paddles 006.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 569