WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Part off tool for turning?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
At the end of most youtube videos it will pull up other videos that you are interested in.. I watched a video posted up by a member earlier and this one popped up on the feed so I scrolled through it real quick just to see it.

This guy is using what I believe to be an insert part off tool for turning on both sides? Strange deal.

[video=youtube;yh5stfyitRw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh5stfyitRw[/video]

RD

RaceTec

Reaction score
Makes no sense... Maybe they are showing the software he used can compensate for the square nose?

Reaction score
I have one of those but never tried it like that. Cool.

If you like that you may find this interesting. Here's how I make large radius shapes with the compound on a manual lathe ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456524987.718234.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456525010.343996.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456525044.577778.jpg

The compound is loose. Not the tool holder. Just use the tool holder nut to turn it for convenience and it doesn't take much pressure.

That part turned out to be this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456525133.936885.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456525154.982513.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456525178.927624.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How do you calculate the radius doing it like that? Or is it just aesthetic?

RD

Reaction score
For the most part it's not an accurate way of turning a radius. But the finish is good and it's a quick set up for aesthetic parts. It works fine with ground high speed steel too

Kbach

Reaction score
I'd be afraid of it throwing the insert with that kind of side loading. There's a reason they make different inserts and holders!!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Good way to lose a finger, or a whole fucking hand. While making string or wire chips it is best to stay far far away from the stock.

Watching that gave me the heebie jeebies.

I don't want to be Debbie downer, but there are far better ways to do exactly that with a different insert.

Please be careful trying that at home peeps.

Brian

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Good way to lose a finger, or a whole fucking hand. While making string or wire chips it is best to stay far far away from the stock.

I don't want to be Debbie downer, but there are far better ways to do exactly that with a different insert.

Brian

After I read your post I had to watch it . wow heebie jeebies for sure.

Reaction score
I've never seen anyone try to control chatter with their hand. And getting a rag that close to the spinning part is pretty crazy with your hand right there

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Brian

What was he pulling them with? a hook?

on a CNC too, so it's not like you have direct and control and feel of the material, all you have is an e-stop if you can even reach it.

At least it was aluminum so the chip strings are somewhat fragile. I love/hate turning hardened steel, or PH stainless. It machines beautifully and leaves a great finish, but those chips are strong as cable, and can easily end up running 15 feet long in a single cut when the chip breaker just won't do it's job. You have to be on your toes, literally ready to shut the machine down like you are staged in the lane waiting for the tree to drop. Those things are like a endless curly fry of razor blade :D you almost need dykes to cut them.

billy610

Reaction score
I sell cutting tools for a living. I go in 10 different shops a day to help with applications. Using a parting tool for side turning is done quite often and as long as the parting tool was designed for side turning is not a big deal. The load on the side of the insert creates clearance so the face of the insert doesn't drag and chatter. Iscar used to recommend backing off .001 to help with the face clearance, but most people don't do that, even though they should. Usually people only use a parting tool for side turning when it's down in a wide groove of a part where standard turning tools won't reach. This guy would have been better off with a full radius parting insert if he wanted to stick with one tool to for what he was doing.

But as with most shops number of parts and time dictate buying "proper" tools for the job...he may have only had to make a couple parts...

SuperDave013

Reaction score
I do it all day every day. Iscar groove turn

[video=youtube;HXhEtc1zl4w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXhEtc1zl4w[/video]