WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question on 1976 Spectra

Ted Pierce

Reaction score
I am new to the Forum and recently purchased a 1976 Spectra 21 v-drive. The boat is in good condition and usable but the white gel coat on the bottom only is what I would call spider cracked. I have been told by some that this is not uncommon for the older gel coats and that it is not structural just brittle gel coat going bad. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions regarding this matter. Do I have to repair the gel coat before I use it or is it ok to use as is? Thank you in advance for your comments.

alohajeff

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Spectra 24XS and the hull is covered with surface cracks. It has been like that for almost a decade and I still run the heck out of the boat. My plan is to let the kids get a little older and then fix up the boat cosmetically.

Aloha

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I am new to the Forum and recently purchased a 1976 Spectra 21 v-drive. The boat is in good condition and usable but the white gel coat on the bottom only is what I would call spider cracked. I have been told by some that this is not uncommon for the older gel coats and that it is not structural just brittle gel coat going bad. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions regarding this matter. Do I have to repair the gel coat before I use it or is it ok to use as is? Thank you in advance for your comments.

Two possible causes.
One,and most probable...the gel was pretty thick and over time becomes more brittle.
Two,there's some flexing going on.
Gel is mostly cosmetic but does serve a purpose,being a barrier between the glass and water.
The gel and glass chemically bond,so in a sense it is structural.
If those cracks go deeper than the gel it's letting water into the fiberglass matrix and it can decompose in time.

Here's something you can do.Get a permanent marker,Marks a lot or the like.Climb under there and look at the cracks,determine the ones you think look the worst and make a small mark perpendicular to the crack.Run the boat as usual a few trips.
Then go and look at the marks again.If the mark still marks the end of the crack its cosmetic.If the crack has extended past the mark something is probably flexing and you might want to get someone to check it out.

Ted Pierce

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Spectra 24XS and the hull is covered with surface cracks. It has been like that for almost a decade and I still run the heck out of the boat. My plan is to let the kids get a little older and then fix up the boat cosmetically.

Aloha

I see you are in Arrowhead. The boat I had was used in Lake Arrowhead and stored in Hardin Marine Arrowhead boat storage. Thank you for your feed back. Most helpful.

Ted Pierce

Reaction score
Two possible causes.
One,and most probable...the gel was pretty thick and over time becomes more brittle.
Two,there's some flexing going on.
Gel is mostly cosmetic but does serve a purpose,being a barrier between the glass and water.
The gel and glass chemically bond,so in a sense it is structural.
If those cracks go deeper than the gel it's letting water into the fiberglass matrix and it can decompose in time.

Here's something you can do.Get a permanent marker,Marks a lot or the like.Climb under there and look at the cracks,determine the ones you think look the worst and make a small mark perpendicular to the crack.Run the boat as usual a few trips.
Then go and look at the marks again.If the mark still marks the end of the crack its cosmetic.If the crack has extended past the mark something is probably flexing and you might want to get someone to check it out.

It is awesome to receive advice from someone who knows gel coat without trying to sell me something. I will definitely take your advice and use the marker to prove out the gel coat. My next step is to get ride of the fiberglass fuel tanks. Do you know of any solution other then replacing them?

alohajeff

Reaction score
Growing up in Arrowhead I had a buddy named Chris Pierce. His mom was Sally... and wait for it... his dad was named Ted.

Arrowhead water is a killer if you leave the boat in the water all season. The fastest way to ruin a fiberglass boat is to leave it sitting in the water on Arrowhead. Blisters and bubbles and dimples are the norm.

As far as the tanks go I would call IMCO and get a quote. The problem is the tanks dissolve from the inside out. Leaks or catastrophic failure will occur without warning. The last thing you want is 30 gallons of fuel dumped into the bilge.

Aloha

alohajeff

Reaction score
Oh yeah... what colors are the boat? If it is an Arrowhead boat and a Spectra and it has been on the water in the last 20 years I will probably know it.

Aloha

Ted Pierce

Reaction score
Growing up in Arrowhead I had a buddy named Chris Pierce. His mom was Sally... and wait for it... his dad was named Ted.

Arrowhead water is a killer if you leave the boat in the water all season. The fastest way to ruin a fiberglass boat is to leave it sitting in the water on Arrowhead. Blisters and bubbles and dimples are the norm.

As far as the tanks go I would call IMCO and get a quote. The problem is the tanks dissolve from the inside out. Leaks or catastrophic failure will occur without warning. The last thing you want is 30 gallons of fuel dumped into the bilge.

Aloha

I had heard that Arrowhead water was tough on boats but did not know why. I wondered if the cold temps had anything to do with it. I am happy to report that I don't have any blisters or bubbles so far just spider cracks. I do not know a Chris Pierce but how ironic is that! Since the name is spelled the same I wonder if we are closely related? I was born in Hemet and grew up in Riverside.

I read a tread somewhere before I joined riverdaves regarding IMCO and recently made to a trip to the plant. I think it is going to be around $1000.00 for the tanks. I had no idea the tanks would fail catastrophically.

Do you run your Spectra at the River or just Arrowhead?

If you see your buddy ask him if he is connected to any Pierces in Riverside or Hemet.

Ted Pierce

Reaction score
Oh yeah... what colors are the boat? If it is an Arrowhead boat and a Spectra and it has been on the water in the last 20 years I will probably know it.

Aloha

I forgot to tell you the color of the boat. White with Blue accents and back to back bench seats and 460 Ford built to some level unknown.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I had heard that Arrowhead water was tough on boats but did not know why. I wondered if the cold temps had anything to do with it. I am happy to report that I don't have any blisters or bubbles so far just spider cracks. I do not know a Chris Pierce but how ironic is that! Since the name is spelled the same I wonder if we are closely related? I was born in Hemet and grew up in Riverside.

I read a tread somewhere before I joined riverdaves regarding IMCO and recently made to a trip to the plant. I think it is going to be around $1000.00 for the tanks. I had no idea the tanks would fail catastrophically.

Do you run your Spectra at the River or just Arrowhead?

If you see your buddy ask him if he is connected to any Pierces in Riverside or Hemet.
I have no idea why that lake is so hard on hulls,but you're not alone.It's notorious for ruining gelcoat.
Jeff gives the best advise on those glass tanks,rip those things out and hit up Imco.
You might want to check out and or replace the lines,filters both inline and the one in the carb,basically you want to give the entire fuel system a once over.

Ted Pierce

Reaction score

Aloha

The boat is white with blue accent with back to back bench seats.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I see the potential for an epic thread developing.

Ted will start with "I tore out the glass tanks to replace with Imco units.Then decided while I was at it to replace the fuel lines.Then found a great deal on new fuel filler necks.Then noticed a loose motor mount that needed to be replaced.Then decided to freshen the engine up since it was out...Then pulled some of the interior..Then I..."

:coolNext thing we know he has a seriously cool cruiser.

Ted Pierce

Reaction score
I see the potential for an epic thread developing.

Ted will start with "I tore out the glass tanks to replace with Imco units.Then decided while I was at it to replace the fuel lines.Then found a great deal on new fuel filler necks.Then noticed a loose motor mount that needed to be replaced.Then decided to freshen the engine up since it was out...Then pulled some of the interior..Then I..."

:coolNext thing we know he has a seriously cool cruiser.

sorry it took me so long to get back...

Boy you know it well don't you. I have a 1978 22 foot V-drive Continental for sale in the Member Classifieds that I did this too except it had aluminum tanks. Fortunately I am financially limited so can only go so far. I am buried in the Continental but want to get it sold so I can work on the Spectra. Have you seen the Continental?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
sorry it took me so long to get back...

Boy you know it well don't you. I have a 1978 22 foot V-drive Continental for sale in the Member Classifieds that I did this too except it had aluminum tanks. Fortunately I am financially limited so can only go so far. I am buried in the Continental but want to get it sold so I can work on the Spectra. Have you seen the Continental?

I just went and checked it out,it looks great!:thumbup:

Those older lines are totally my style.Classic day cruiser look.
Wood grain.:thumbup:
A couple of colors.
That to me is perfection.
12 colors,multi fades,big bling graphics etc pays my bills but 2 colors and some wood would satisfy my tastes.
I guess I am "old school".

Ted Pierce

Reaction score
I just went and checked it out,it looks great!:thumbup:

Those older lines are totally my style.Classic day cruiser look.
Wood grain.:thumbup:
A couple of colors.
That to me is perfection.
12 colors,multi fades,big bling graphics etc pays my bills but 2 colors and some wood would satisfy my tastes.
I guess I am "old school".

Yeah I am old school myself. It sounds like we have similar taste. I always dreamed of owning a Campbell but never could afford one. Then life goes on and years later I had the opportunity to buy the Continental as a project. It barely ran. The gentleman that sold it to me lives next to Foxies and claims it was owned by the Jacobs that invented the jet ski. I'm told it is a splash of a Spectra and only 6 were made. One of the front motor mounts was slotted to the floor. Apparently ran loose for many an hour. I went through the school of hard knocks on this one and had fun figuring everything out. First I struggled with the engine filling with water and finally determined someone had siliconed the drain slot on the water pump so all the water by-passing the seal was going directly into the engine. I rebuilt the pump and all is well once again. By the way a portion of the wood grain on the raised deck passenger side is damaged. Is this repairable? I need to get it sold. Do you think I have it priced right for what it is?

I admire your ability to paint the graphics, etc. Where is your shop? Some day I will need to redo the the Spectra.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yeah I am old school myself. It sounds like we have similar taste. I always dreamed of owning a Campbell but never could afford one. Then life goes on and years later I had the opportunity to buy the Continental as a project. It barely ran. The gentleman that sold it to me lives next to Foxies and claims it was owned by the Jacobs that invented the jet ski. I'm told it is a splash of a Spectra and only 6 were made. One of the front motor mounts was slotted to the floor. Apparently ran loose for many an hour. I went through the school of hard knocks on this one and had fun figuring everything out. First I struggled with the engine filling with water and finally determined someone had siliconed the drain slot on the water pump so all the water by-passing the seal was going directly into the engine. I rebuilt the pump and all is well once again. By the way a portion of the wood grain on the raised deck passenger side is damaged. Is this repairable? I need to get it sold. Do you think I have it priced right for what it is?

I admire your ability to paint the graphics, etc. Where is your shop? Some day I will need to redo the the Spectra.
No shop.
I work for mfg's doing new in the mold work,so i ho to them and their molds.Among others,Hallett,Lavey Craft,and an occasional Eliminator.There was a time I was full time Eliminator,a time as full time Lavey,but times change.
As to your wood grain issue,I would need to see it to have any idea.
Honestly,the wood grain days were just a bit before my time in the industry.I know how they did it,but have not done it.The process is the same as today's carbon fiber inlay we see sometimes.That wood grain is actually a printed cloth with a clear gel.
To fix it,not really my thing,but I know a guy;)

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Lol,nice typo on my part."I ho to them"
I was going to edit it but it kinda fits so....

:D

Ted Pierce

Reaction score
No shop.
I work for mfg's doing new in the mold work,so i ho to them and their molds.Among others,Hallett,Lavey Craft,and an occasional Eliminator.There was a time I was full time Eliminator,a time as full time Lavey,but times change.
As to your wood grain issue,I would need to see it to have any idea.
Honestly,the wood grain days were just a bit before my time in the industry.I know how they did it,but have not done it.The process is the same as today's carbon fiber inlay we see sometimes.That wood grain is actually a printed cloth with a clear gel.
To fix it,not really my thing,but I know a guy;)

You have done some boats! Yes times change. I hope you are staying busy. It sounds like you are a few years younger then I. Is it possible for me to contact the "guy" on the "wood grain" repair? I would like to get a ball park number for the repair to see if it is feasible.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
You have done some boats! Yes times change. I hope you are staying busy. It sounds like you are a few years younger then I. Is it possible for me to contact the "guy" on the "wood grain" repair? I would like to get a ball park number for the repair to see if it is feasible.

Extreme Boat repair in Elsinore.
Blas Montez
(951)941-0043

Blas was the head gel repair at Eliminator for decades.