WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RB's Rhino build.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
So after driving Sean's Teryx home from the bar the other night (we didnt take roads ;) ) I realized that the Rhino needs an overhaul. What started out as a "family truckster" to haul the kids around is now going to get a little bit of a face lift to make it a little more fun (and comfortable).

So here is where I am at. the 4 seater is definitely going to Stay (still need to haul the kids (and drunk friends) around. But definitely need to up the game in the suspension dept (+6 LT??) and need to get some more out of the motor (have no idea what I am doing here).

so what do you SxS pros recommend? I am starting with a 2008 700 EFI with a 4 seater cage, BFGs and the largest offset wheels there are, everyhting else is STOCK.

So here is where I am at now.

toys012.jpg

toys010.jpg

toys011.jpg

NewyearsOcotillotrip035.jpg

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I would start by parking it in the garage and buying yourself a rzrs. ;)

Seriously if you're going to look at suspension for it, I had really good luck with the XMF kit. You can pick it up in the high 3's with the Walkers from UTV crap. The install isn't that difficult.

Performance wise, I haven't seen anything non factory that doesn't have problems. Exhaust does little or nothing to the Rhino's. The programmer will increase your top end. Suspension will let you travel faster than an air cleaner and exhuast pipe. I did the clutch and sheeve on my Rhino and I couldn't tell a difference. With the pipe, airbox, programmer and clutch sheeve kit, it still ran 57mph. That's what it ran with just the programmer, lol.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Your tires are heavy, going to 25" Big horns is going to feel faster to you. 25" seems to be the consensus on the Rhino forums for keeping some low end and mid range.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Billdo. Theres a bunch of used LT kits on the Rhinoforums site rite now for pretty cheap. Also, ditch those tires and go back to a 25" tire. As for the motor, throw it away and put an R1 in it. :skull Or you can just do the bolt on shit and get a little more out of it. I honestly think the FI 700 is a slower motor than the carbed 660. I haven't done much to my motor but it kicks my brothers 700's ass. A lot of guys are having luck changing out the secondary clutch spring for more torque and lighter weights in the sheave. You may lose a tad bit of top end but get some low end power.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Sell it and buy a 4 seat buggy or a 4 seat RzRS with a good warranty.

My lonestar mid travel and aftermarket shoclks made a huge difference but its always going to be boring to drive in the sand.:cool:

Suspension wise i would do the XMF kit for sure....

Your gonig to need new rims when you so the suspension so go with some light weight 12" wheels and 25" tires.

Boltons will get you some mph but not much more.

Ivan Dan

Reaction score

My lonestar mid travel and aftermarket shoclks made a huge difference but its always going to be boring to drive in the sand.:cool:

Your gonig to need new rims when you so the suspension so go with some light weight 12" wheels and 25" tires.

As Jeremy stated today, "you can only put so much lipstick on a pig" LOL

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I like the Rhino and just want to make it a little better. I can say that the BFGs will stay, as much as people hate on them. I do like the way they ride and have had very good luck with them. I do have the paddles and smaller tires for the sand.

as it looks I will be doing a +6 LT w/13" of travel and Kings. sheave, all the computer stuff and some exhaust and intake stuff.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I like the Rhino and just want to make it a little better. I can say that the BFGs will stay, as much as people hate on them. I do like the way they ride and have had very good luck with them. I do have the paddles and smaller tires for the sand.

as it looks I will be doing a +6 LT w/13" of travel and Kings. sheave, all the computer stuff and some exhaust and intake stuff.

Your going to need to change the wheels with the LT kit. I had 2+5 and had to change to 5+2. Page 11 of this thread is where I posted my LT kit and then people posted that I was way to wide. :grumble:

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13835&page=11

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Be careful going real wide on the arms.

Tires are serious dirt slingers and when they turn, guess where the direction of the dirt will be?

When they are hanging out so far past the body....well....

Brian

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

There is a huge amount of power to be had in just the exhaust system on a rhino, we know this from doing our own dyno testing. A buddy of mine took his stock rhino exhaust, cut the muffler off and then welded a stock crf450 silencer to the existing head pipe. It was loud but it made very good power, really seemed to wake it up, we didn't realize how much of a difference it actually made. Eventually he bought one of those Gibson dual pipe deal, this is when we did the dyno testing, well that gibson pipe caused the thing to lose 7 or 8 horsepower, which doesn't sound like much, but the difference between 21 and 29 horsepower to the wheels is huge, that's nearly 30%....

Then he spent about a grand on head porting, valves, cam, and 10.75:1 compression piston, put it back on the dyno, that thousand dollars was good for about 1 horsepower...:rolleyes:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There is a huge amount of power to be had in just the exhaust system on a rhino, we know this from doing our own dyno testing. A buddy of mine took his stock rhino exhaust, cut the muffler off and then welded a stock crf450 silencer to the existing head pipe. It was loud but it made very good power, really seemed to wake it up, we didn't realize how much of a difference it actually made. Eventually he bought one of those Gibson dual pipe deal, this is when we did the dyno testing, well that gibson pipe caused the thing to lose 7 or 8 horsepower, which doesn't sound like much, but the difference between 21 and 29 horsepower to the wheels is huge, that's nearly 30%....

Then he spent about a grand on head porting, valves, cam, and 10.75:1 compression piston, put it back on the dyno, that thousand dollars was good for about 1 horsepower...:rolleyes:

something about that just doesn't seem right?

RD

sean

Reaction score
bill the rhino will be alot nicer with what your doing:thumbsup oh, look what i pulled off and replaced:skull

Attachments

• DSCF2446.jpg
    DSCF2446.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 427
  • DSCF2448.jpg
    DSCF2448.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 430

sean

Reaction score
in the second pic im pointing at the bend we didnt see on the trail:D

sean

Reaction score
not running out of talent like me... check:skull like we both said, "if you dont break something you werent driving hard enough":champagne:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
not running out of talent like me... check:skull like we both said, "if you dont break something you werent driving hard enough":champagne:

I seem to ride beyond my talent quite often on 2 wheels, so I dont think that will change much on 4 wheels ;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
So Im going out to Havasu next weekend to show my boat to a potential buyer and figured it would be the perfect opportunity to also drop the Rhino off at the shop. ;)

LT wil be going on and then I will be changing the wheels out, but keeping the tires I have now. Im also going to have him build a roof for the cage and most likely some doors. also looking to install safety nets for when the kids are in the back seat. Have all the stereo stuff at home so just need to work on installing it. As far as performance. gonna add the MSD controller and sheave and clutch weights. have looked at exhaust but hearing so many different opinions on what works and what doesnt. cant see spending $800 on little to no gain in performance and then having to deal with the added noise.

I have been going back and forth between painting the Rhino. Looks like I might be going with white, if anyone would like to trade for plastics I wouldnt be against that since Im going to just be painting mine anyways :thumbsup

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
What LT kit did you go with and who is doing the install.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
So Im going out to Havasu next weekend to show my boat to a potential buyer and figured it would be the perfect opportunity to also drop the Rhino off at the shop. ;)

LT wil be going on and then I will be changing the wheels out, but keeping the tires I have now. Im also going to have him build a roof for the cage and most likely some doors. also looking to install safety nets for when the kids are in the back seat. Have all the stereo stuff at home so just need to work on installing it. As far as performance. gonna add the MSD controller and sheave and clutch weights. have looked at exhaust but hearing so many different opinions on what works and what doesnt. cant see spending $800 on little to no gain in performance and then having to deal with the added noise.

I have been going back and forth between painting the Rhino. Looks like I might be going with white, if anyone would like to trade for plastics I wouldnt be against that since Im going to just be painting mine anyways :thumbsup

Good call. Without any major motor upgrades I really don't think your gonna see any gain. Except for noise.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
What LT kit did you go with and who is doing the install.

I will have all the details shortly. and wil post the info probably tomorrow. We are nailing out the final details on what I am going to do...LOL funny how one thing leads to ten others. ;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
As a side note if anyone would like to have red plasics I would like to trade their plastics for Red, let me know as I will be painting the plastics once its done.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So what's the scoop on that shop? Good Bad? Hell what is even the name of it? I need to get my T-Rex serviced.. :D

RD

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
So what's the scoop on that shop? Good Bad? Hell what is even the name of it? I need to get my T-Rex serviced.. :D

RD

He is working on the numbers right now and going to send me pics in the morning. from the couple conversations I have had with him, Im happy. havent decided exactly which Kit or shocks just yet. Gonna have him add doors and a roof, changing some things on the cage. doing the performance stuff and adding nets in the back for kids safety.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He is working on the numbers right now and going to send me pics in the morning. from the couple conversations I have had with him, Im happy. havent decided exactly which Kit or shocks just yet. Gonna have him add doors and a roof, changing some things on the cage. doing the performance stuff and adding nets in the back for kids safety.

God damn it Billdo.. I thought we we're doing the stock cruiser dealios.. Ya know in the rear with the gear and the beer? Now your gonna be a front runner and I'm gonna be back there all by myself!

RD

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
God damn it Billdo.. I thought we we're doing the stock cruiser dealios.. Ya know in the rear with the gear and the beer? Now your gonna be a front runner and I'm gonna be back there all by myself!

RD

I will still be slower than everyone due to my many beer stops. Plus Im doing the work for a better ride not necessarily for speed ;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Billdo? I called their office # to get a quote on servicing my Teryx, and it says it's not a working #?

I'm calling Brian's cell # now.

RD

I just talked to him and told him to ignore your phone calls;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
:D :D ... i just want to get my shit serviced man!

RD

In all seriousness, I talked to him a bout 30 mins ago. there is an issue with his office line and thats why sometimes when people call it will say out of service. Told me to tell you the best way to reach him is his cell. He should be able to get my hoopty in on thursday or Friday and start it :thumbsup

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Whats wrong, both you fags afraid of getting your hands dirty? :D

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Whats wrong, both you fags afraid of getting your hands dirty? :D

If I had that kind of free time I would be at the River. so I can either go to the River, Pismo, Big Bear........or work on my Rhino. ;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Here are some pics that he just sent me of a Rhino that he just finished. I think Im going with the Fox's instead of Kings as quite a few people have said they like them better.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Here are some pics that he just sent me of a Rhino that he just finished. I think Im going with the Fox's instead of Kings as quite a few people have said they like them better.

What kit is that?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Well after receiving a couple PMs on the Rhino Forum, looks as though Im in the hunt for another shop. Or I might just say F-it and do it myself.

Seems as though its a common theme in the SXS/golf cart world.....My build would have gone the same way RDs magical bagged cart build went.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Well after receiving a couple PMs on the Rhino Forum, looks as though Im in the hunt for another shop. Or I might just say F-it and do it myself.

Seems as though its a common theme in the SXS/golf cart world.....My build would have gone the same way RDs magical bagged cart build went.

If you like the FU2 kit why not go directly to the source?

Pretty sure they sell that kit installed for $3500. There cages and fab work look good as well.

Pretty sure there in Temecula/Murietta area?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

Pretty sure they sell that kit installed for $3500. There cages and fab work look good as well.

the main thing was dragging it back home. but looks like its going to come home anyways

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

2 steps ahead of you ;) Working on a price with them to do the whole thing. and they are already better than the other guy.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
2 steps ahead of you ;) Working on a price with them to do the whole thing. and they are already better than the other guy.

There pricing seems pretty agressive.....

My neighbor at the river got one of there new radius cages and its pretty slick. No matter who you use I would pay as you go. Dont give any of these shops big $$$ up front;):)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have worked a deal with Jimbo over at FU2 chasis. I will be bringing the Rhino home from the River in 2 weeks.

Going with the FU2 LT kit
Black Kings
Building a new roof
Doors
Hunterworks OD rollers
MSD
Muzzy
Changing out front stock seats to match rear seat.

then gonna convert all the lighting over to HID lights. add safety nets in the rear for when the kids are in the Rhino.

Taking it to Al&Eds to have the stereo installed.

and painting the plastics (most likely going with flat white)

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I have worked a deal with Jimbo over at FU2 chasis. I will be bringing the Rhino home from the River in 2 weeks.

Going with the FU2 LT kit
Black Kings
Building a new roof
Doors
Hunterworks OD rollers
MSD
Muzzy
Changing out front stock seats to match rear seat.

then gonna convert all the lighting over to HID lights. add safety nets in the rear for when the kids are in the Rhino.

Taking it to Al&Eds to have the stereo installed.

and painting the plastics (most likely going with flat white)

I thought you said you were so broke you couldn't make it out tomorrow night...WTF is this? :skull

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Made the drive to Hisperia Yesterday to drop off some cash and order up the parts :champagne:

Jimbo is meeting up with me on Sunday on my way home from the River to pick the Rhino up and should have it back well before Desert storm. :cool:

Now I just need some ideas for colors.

I think Im going to go with silver metal flake powder coat on the cage and all the suspension. then white PC on the doors and roof. Gonna have H20ski2fast wrap the plastics in "snow camo" the new rims are chrome and gonna have the rings PC white.