WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rhino electrical problems....

Reaction score
Hey everyone-

Have any of you guys heard of anyone having problems with their rectifiers???

Took my Rhino down the street yesterday and when I got back in my garage there was smoke coming through the dash, so I popped the hood really quick to find it was the rectifier. There was a small electrical fire and it toasted the harness and female side on the rectifier. I disconnected the battery really quick and that was it.

Any ideas?? I will post some pics later tonight when I get home.

Thanks,
Alan

scarabrick

Reaction score
do a search on rhinoforums.net

They have a bunch of info

good luck

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Stocker?

I remember a while back that people were having issues with aftermarket ones.:)

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
Stocker?

I remember a while back that people were having issues with aftermarket ones.:)

It is an aftermarket one...we put them on at the same time right when we got the Rhinos. Wonder if it let loose or something.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
It is an aftermarket one...we put them on at the same time right when we got the Rhinos. Wonder if it let loose or something.

Yeah there was a bad batch that liked to catch fire when you weren't using a lot of juice. The stator make a set amount of electricity based on RPMs...the rectifier dumps the excess energy that not used. SO if you put the larger stator and rectifier on and aren't using all the juice the rectifier tries to dump the juice in the form of heat.....and eventually kaboom....ok more like a little fire that burns up expensive wiring harness:mad:

Rhino forums have a ton of info about it and how to fix....Dan be careful with yours....

Mock<-- just added a second batt and uses a 110V charger when it get's low.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!!!
I hooked the stock rectifier back up and everything seems to be working fine....taking it out this weekend, so we'll see...

Wiring harness
18886DSC01521-med.JPG

Aftermarket rectifier
18886DSC01520-med.JPG

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!!!
I hooked the stock rectifier back up and everything seems to be working fine....taking it out this weekend, so we'll see...

Wiring harness
18886DSC01521-med.JPG

Aftermarket rectifier
18886DSC01520-med.JPG

Did you install the aftermarket rectifier with a larger coil/stator or just the rectifier?

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Hey Chris-
Dan and I just did the aftermarket rectifiers...stock coil/stator.
Anything that I should look out for that you know of??

Thanks,
Alan

I think going back to stock will fix it. After I heard all of the problems with aftermarket rectifiers and stators I left mine stock, added a second battery for the big lights and stereo with a selenoid off the stock battery. When I've got it revved out it makes enough juice to charge the second batt but most of the time I just throw on a charger after a long day of stereo cranking, then a trickler charger when it's stored. So far so good.

Glad yours didn't burn up too bad.

Chris