WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sandrail Question

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Looking for input on sandrails. I have a mid engine VW based frame I am looking to build. Nothing fancy. We don't do Glamis, mostly Barstow, Cal City etc. on the motorcycles. Question is would a mid engine rail be ok for light use in the desert. By light I mean trail rides, some mild hill climbs and trips to Randsburg and Slash X. It would be a cruiser not hard running in the whoops. Or would a standard type frame be more appropriate.

Of course we would start making trips to Glamis and Pismo. Haven't been to Glamis in about 25 years!

The 2FF red rail that he let MiniKat (RIP) borrow got me thinking.

Thanks.

Frank

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Looking for input on sandrails. I have a mid engine VW based frame I am looking to build. Nothing fancy. We don't do Glamis, mostly Barstow, Cal City etc. on the motorcycles. Question is would a mid engine rail be ok for light use in the desert. By light I mean trail rides, some mild hill climbs and trips to Randsburg and Slash X. It would be a cruiser not hard running in the whoops. Or would a standard type frame be more appropriate.

Of course we would start making trips to Glamis and Pismo. Haven't been to Glamis in about 25 years!

The 2FF red rail that he let MiniKat (RIP) borrow got me thinking.

Thanks.

Frank

I never liked the mid engine buggys, they never shift right and push you to far forward,,,

i rebuilt the buggy i have ...i wanted a low buck dual sport, I'll tell you... you cant beat um... they go any where
I ended up with over 10k in mine but thats with a new motor, 6 fox shocks, beadlocks. bfg's suspension seats...ect

Attachments

• 100_2803.jpg
    100_2803.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_2795.jpg
    100_2795.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 57
  • havasudamrun 034.jpg
    havasudamrun 034.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_2820.jpg
    100_2820.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 57

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Thanks Steve. How does that handle in the sand being as it has all the shocks. Do you remove them for use in the sand?

Frank