WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Schiaward

ChrisV

Reaction score
HOLY SHIT!

How did I ever not see this thread. Fucking badass man! I coulda learned so much more from this thread if I knew about it. 🤣

Great work and lets go!

Backlash

Reaction score
Awe man you guys are far too kind!! Thank you for the words of support and encouragement! Chris, I still need to call you regarding the lower unit and your contact regarding the he shaft shortening you did. 👍

Lenmann, Sir, I am a complete hack and shouldn't be anywhere near the circle you're in. You are far too talented Sir! But thank you!! 😘

lenmann

Reaction score
Awe man you guys are far too kind!! Thank you for the words of support and encouragement! Chris, I still need to call you regarding the lower unit and your contact regarding the he shaft shortening you did. 👍

Lenmann, Sir, I am a complete hack and shouldn't be anywhere near the circle you're in. You are far too talented Sir! But thank you!! 😘
Thanks back at you. All kidding aside, your willingness to document the details of your work and specifically the fiberglass work in a build thread really motivated me to dig in on my bitch and to do a build thread. Anyone that has done a build thread knows how much work they are.

I believe that having the Schiaward thread and other build threads as a reference here is invaluable to people that don't mind getting tighter hands dirty. Props to @RiverDave for creating a repository for this kind of archival grade information.

Think I'm blowing smoke? Just try to find something of substance on FaceBook or Insta. Better yet, try to find something that you saw yesterday that looked interesting...

Anyway, they say Forums are dying, displaced by easier to access, substance-less social media. I hope that isn't true for this repository.

Keep up the great work @Backlash and cant wait for the next chapter.

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening! I hope everyone is staying dry tonight!

I was chatting with another member and we were talking about the hull bottom on this boat. This is a two strake hull with a rounded keel that was slightly modified by a previous owner. Moving forward, I'll need to decide on how to clean up this hull's bottom. Leave it as a basic rounded keel, or do something a little different to try and improve performance?? I'll need to figure this all out so once the hull is flipped, there is some sort of game plan laid out. Since I couldn't load the pics of the hull in a PM message, I'll add them here. Nevermind the kickass single axle dog trailer this thing is sitting on....it's heading to the train station soon enough. 🤣

Please feel free to chime in and add some recommendations and/or opinions. 👍

PXL_20230110_002313821.jpg

PXL_20230110_002329621.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisV

Reaction score
Put a “pad”. One of the things I was going to do if I kept my old boat. Keeps it from chine walking.

Full Pull

Reaction score
Henry - How round (or flat) is it? Pics may be deceiving but looks more flat than round.
5D87F07C-B15E-4AE6-AE31-5823EAFDDE77.jpeg

Looks flatter than a Spectra 19

BDB586C8-99A2-4603-82F7-67F248A13C9C.jpeg

And definitely not the stock Schiada/Howard v-bottom
EE569262-9462-4B5B-8107-FB6448B5F4C9.jpeg

Backlash

Reaction score
Henry - How round (or flat) is it? Pics may be deceiving but looks more flat than round.
View attachment 1187720

Looks flatter than a Spectra 19

View attachment 1187721

And definitely not the stock Schiada/Howard v-bottom
View attachment 1187722
It has a round keel from the mold as the interior of the floor of the boat is also round. It was done this way in the mold as there aren't any seams or repairs that I can see. I'm guessing an insert was used when they originally laid this hull up.

It's hard to see in the picture I posted because of poor lighting, but if you look about 18" forward of the transom on the bottom, you can see where I stopped pulling off the plywood pad that someone bonded to the bottom of this hull. It probably seemed like a good idea when it was drawn on a napkin in an empty bar, but it wasn't properly executed.

Plywood + water intrusion = no bueno. 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
Put a “pad”. One of the things I was going to do if I kept my old boat. Keeps it from chine walking.
Yes Sireee, that's the end goal. I've been discussing this process with a few folks for quite some time. Just trying to get an idea on the size and overall profile for the pad and center strakes. 👍👍👍

87Brad

Reaction score
Yes Sireee, that's the end goal. I've been discussing this process with a few folks for quite some time. Just trying to get an idea on the size and overall profile for the pad and center strakes. 👍👍👍
87Brad here
Newer member. Jim Russell’s Vee hull design program might be helpful.
Thanks for posting your build threads. I have a 21RC outboard and will be following this. Have learned a great deal from you and others such as Lenmann ChrisV Hydroskreamin and many more.
Best regards

Backlash

Reaction score
87Brad here
Newer member. Jim Russell’s Vee hull design program might be helpful.
Thanks for posting your build threads. I have a 21RC outboard and will be following this. Have learned a great deal from you and others such as Lenmann ChrisV Hydroskreamin and many more.
Best regards
Good morning! Welcome to the site and thank you for the kind words! Please don't group me with the likes of ChrisV, Lenmann and HydroStud. Those guys are in another league entirely!! I am nothing but a backyard hack! Hahahaaa!

Yes, JR has a lot of helpful information and he is a smart man. 👍

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening!

There was a break in the weather today, so I grabbed the factory Mercury outboard wire loom I pulled from the Daytona, and laid it out on the Howard. I wasn't sure how short it would be, so there was only one way to find out! Yes, I know the deck is filthy..... nevermind the mess..... 🤷

PXL_20230110_223806551.jpg

Low and behold, it looks like this loom will be long enough!! I even had an extra 46-48" of loom left at the center of the transom! With the setback bracket, the jackplate and the factory tilt/trim bracket, I should still have enough loom to work with. 👍

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening!

It's been far too long since I've spent any time working on this thing. Work life, home life and other projects with a higher priority have pushed this boat to the back of the line. Now that it's warming up and the rainy weather has moved on, it's a perfect time to get going on this thing again.

It's been so long, I forgot where I left off. 🙄

I've got two of the four stringers partially glassed in the boat. The transom is glassed in and just needs some finish work on the inside of the hull. Four new bulkheads are in and almost wrapped up.

Here we go.

Here is the front end of the outer stringer. There are three layers of 1708 under the stringer, and one layer of glass leading from the hull bottom partially up each side of the stringer. I went back and cleaned things up, and ran another layer of cabosil and resin in the corners of the stringer. It will make it much easier to get the next layer of glass to lay down smoothly.

PXL_20230429_192853428.jpg

This next picture shows you how the radius eases the transition from the hull bottom to the sides of the stringers.

PXL_20230429_192931526.jpg

In the above picture, if you look up underneath the deck towards the bow, you can see the remnants of one of the main stringers. I still need to grind the rest of that out before I glass in the next stringer. I was basically laying down in the bottom of the hull right below the dash.

Backlash

Reaction score
In the previous picture, you'll notice the kickboard, or main bulkhead under the deck, is missing. I've already cut that out and have the new bulkhead almost ready to go in. The deck has been supported with temporary framing that I removed to get this work done.

Once I got the radiuses in and let them cure, it was time to rough up the surface and knock down any high spots. Out come the sanders and grinders. My favorite part of this mess. 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
In the next photo, you'll see where I've added glass to fill in the strake on the hull. It's the area just to the left of the new stringer. I filled this all in to flatten the bottom of the boat as the stringers will be open and visible in front of the seats. The lighter colored are on the left side of this picture below, is where one starboard side main stringer will be glassed in.

PXL_20230428_001804624.jpg

Needless to say, there has been a lot of mixing, glassing, curing, waiting, grinding and vacuuming that has taken place between these pictures. I'm not one to try and snap pictures when my hands are covered in resin. 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
For those who haven't followed along, or don't feel like reading through this nonsense, the picture below is the reason I gutted this thing from the get-go. Rotted transom and busted stringers with lots of water intrusion.

The previous owner(s), made an attempt to repair this stringer using 6 ounce cloth, laid over the cracked fiberglass which was never prepped correctly. I basically pulled this "Cured" glass right off the stringer without any effort. 🙄

The crack in this stringer is about 8' long and extends even further forward.

PXL_20230428_141820150.jpg

On the left side of the above picture, you'll see where I was test fitting a new layer of cloth. I'm a fan of working "Clean." I use a lot of tape and try my best to keep areas clean. Yes, you can grind off any spilled resin without much effort. But I hate doing that when it's not necessary. So I elect to tape everything off and then just pull the tape while the resin is still wet. No mess no fuss.

Below is an image of the above section of the boat, once the glass was wetted out and rolled onto the sides of this stringer.

PXL_20230428_174056284.jpg

In the above picture, you can also see the new bulkhead on the left. This is the port side of the hull, looking towards the bow. This bulkhead has already been glassed in to the hull and the stringer.

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Once everything cured, I ran a grinder and sander over all of the new glass to smooth things out. I also did this so I could feather the edges of the glass. I need to overlap layers in a number of places, and I don't want a raised ridge in the glass.

PXL_20230429_170749418.jpg

The above piece of 1708 was about 14" wide. It starts on the left side of the stringer, covers another layer of glass previously installed, runs up the left side of the stringer, over the top of the stringer, down the inside of the same stringer where it attaches to the hull bottom. Again, this layer of glass extends out further to the left and right than the layer of 1708 I had previously installed below it. Now there are two layers of 1708 cloth over the bottom half of this stringer (Only one layer of glass is on top of the stringer at this point). I will run one more layer of 1708 over everything before all is said and done (Three layers on the bottom half of each stringer, and two layers on top of each stringer). When finally finished, this boat is going to spend most of its life on the Parker Strip. That's why I'm rebuilding it on the heavy side in hopes of not breaking it apart. 🤓

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
Looking good man, great to see you back on it. Most of what I know about grindin' and glassin' came from this thread, so thank you for taking the time to document it all. I know personally it's a ton of work and not always convenient to stop and take pics and then translate it all into words.

Looking at the pics of the stringer tips from way up under the bow reminded me of a conversation I had with Kornowski about the work I was doing to my RC. He said the first thing he does on one of these full rebuilds is cut the deck off. It gives you full access to everything and eliminates most of the "laying on your belly or back work". I was too far in on my build to do it (and I think you may be too) but if I was was ever to do another I would follow his guidance in a minute.

Backlash

Reaction score
Looking good man, great to see you back on it. Most of what I know about grindin' and glassin' came from this thread, so thank you for taking the time to document it all. I know personally it's a ton of work and not always convenient to stop and take pics and then translate it all into words.

Looking at the pics of the stringer tips from way up under the bow reminded me of a conversation I had with Kornowski about the work I was doing to my RC. He said the first thing he does on one of these full rebuilds is cut the deck off. It gives you full access to everything and eliminates most of the "laying on your belly or back work". I was too far in on my build to do it (and I think you may be too) but if I was was ever to do another I would follow his guidance in a minute.
Good morning! Thank you again for the kind words and support, I really do appreciate it! After seeing YOUR build, it made me want to delete this thread and tow this sled to the dump. Your work was INCREDIBLE!!! Your boat turned out beautiful!

When it comes to glasswork, Kornowski is one of the best out there. He has forgotten more about fiberglass work than most of us will ever know. 👍

As far as cutting the deck off, that would have been easier as far as accessing the front half of the boat. For me personally, it wouldn't have worked out as well though. This deck and hull have already been capped, and it looks like someone did a decent job. Had I pulled this deck, it would have created more work that I really didn't want to do. For me, leaving the deck intact made more sense....even if it is a PITA to crawl up under there and work in conditions most people wouldn't want to work in. 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
Good morning Happy Friday to you! I made a little more progress on this sucker.

PXL_20230506_203656113.jpg

PXL_20230506_203711005.jpg

I ran more Cabosil and resin in these corners and built up a smooth consistent radius with a spoon. Sorry Sweetie, I don't know where that spoon went. 🤣 Once this cured, I smoothed out all the edges and cleaned things up.

Backlash

Reaction score
I started tabbing in the corners of the outer stringers and the bottom of the transom core. Baby steps!

PXL_20230511_234800699.jpg

PXL_20230511_234745789.jpg

I need to add a little more putty on the top of the transom drain hole, to fill in a low spot. Once I do that, I'll add another layer of glass along the bottom of the transom. In the above picture of the drain hole, and the prior post showing the stringers, you can see the fiberglass sleeves I installed where water will drain, to help protect the wood core. I'm doing everything I can to prevent any water intrusion in the transom and the stringers. I don't want to have to deal with replacing these items again. 👍

This is all cured, so now it's time to feather out the edges, and continue forward with this project. Have a great day and thanks for following along!

boat527

Reaction score
Painstaking isn't it.. I thought that I'd have my transom and floor done in a year. Wtf? 4th year. This month. It runs, but I'm not done yet!

Keep goin man! You started before me!

Backlash

Reaction score
Painstaking isn't it.. I thought that I'd have my transom and floor done in a year. Wtf? 4th year. This month. It runs, but I'm not done yet!

Keep goin man! You started before me!

Yes Sir, I'm on the slow boat to the river with this thing!! I don't get a lot of time to devote to this project, so it has taken FOR-EVER! 🤣

I'm honestly not rushing anything here (Obviously!!). I'm trying to think and plan ahead so that when I install something, that's where it stays. I don't have to cut or grind something out to move it, or do it differently at a later time. If that makes any sense. 👍

I'll get it done, it just won't be as fast as others may do it....and that's just fine with me. 😉

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Good afternoon! I thought I'd take a break from other more important honey-do's, and spend a few minutes messing around with this thing.

I ground some rough edges smooth and made sure the transitions along the bottom of the transom were up to snuff. After a quick round with the vacuum, I trimmed out some more pieces of glass to tab in the tops of the outer stringers and to put a second layer on the bottom of this transom.

PXL_20230603_001915360.jpg

PXL_20230603_001941568.jpg

First, I capped the tops of the stringers and made sure those were glassed in just right. Then, the rest was easy. Just laying in a second larger layer of glass over the first smaller layer of tabbing. This layer extends about 5-6" up the transom and about 5-6" out along the hull bottom.

Backlash

Reaction score
This is how she looks now. You can see the smaller layer of tabbing showing through this newest layer of glass. Even though you can see the edges below, you cant really feel them. Everything was smoothed and feathered out between layers so the transitions would be seamless. Ruffles have ridges, this hull doesn't.

🤣

PXL_20230603_005701497.jpg

PXL_20230603_005715338.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
I just realized I skipped adding a picture of the transom drain.

This is how it looked with the first layer of glass on the inside.

PXL_20230521_225443432.jpg

I've since ground things out, smoothed out the opening and added two more layers of glass. This is where things are now.

PXL_20230603_005707071.jpg

That's all for today! I know it isn't much of an update, but every little bit helps. Have a nice evening and stay safe!! 😉

Backlash

Reaction score
Not too shabby! 👍 The radius along the bottom of the transom turned out really nice! I can't wait to make some more progress on this boat!!!

PXL_20230603_173151525.jpg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Not too shabby! 👍 The radius along the bottom of the transom turned out really nice! I can't wait to make some more progress on this boat!!!

View attachment 1237883
Great Balls of Fire! Just when I was sure this site had jumped the shark you post up boating content! How cool is that!

Keep up the good work! 😁

Backlash

Reaction score
Great Balls of Fire! Just when I was sure this site had jumped the shark you post up boating content! How cool is that!

Keep up the good work! 😁
Thank you Sir! I was sneaking out to work on this thing between snarky comments on other non-boating related threads. 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
Good afternoon! I picked a perfect day to grind a bunch of fiberglass. It's gotta be 95° here in SoCal! Of course I did all this shirtless, wearing only a pair of shorts and some OSHA approved flops! 🤣

PXL_20230910_190914042.jpg

PXL_20230910_194610211.jpg

This transom drain hole turned out exactly how I predicted. There's no way for any water to get in to the wood coring. I did this for every hole through the back of the boat, so there shouldn't be any water intrusion whatsoever. (The moisture you see in the bottom of the drain hole is simply cured resin, not water. I'll grind this out from outside the hull.)

Backlash

Reaction score
I smoothed out each of the transitions so there won't be too many uneven surfaces in this hull. I cleaned everything up and am getting ready for another layer of glass. 👍

PXL_20230910_194733984.jpg