WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Bitcoin

Constant840

Reaction score
Read it hit almost $8k for 1 coin today. Since dropped to $7800.

Without having to read about it... can anyone tell me what the hell is it?? Is it a smart investment? I know it has been said currency should be part of any portfolio, but does this really count?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
It's a crypto currency backed by......nothing. Some say it was a good investment when it initially went live considering where prices are at now but again, it's not backed by anything so it could all disappear in a blink of an eye. I'll still to buying a couple of ounces of silver a month

buck35

Reaction score
I live in the cheapest county powerwise in the country. Bitcoin miners are everywhere, and some are big time operations. I keep asking people to explaine it to me. I don't get it...

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Voodoo magic and fairy dust. J/k
I would like to understand it, but the few people that I’ve asked about it get to a certain point and are stumped. So I’ll sit back with my bucket of popcorn and watch this thread to see if anybody can come up with A reasonable explanation.:)

wet hull

Reaction score
My tech buddy, total nerd for this crap! He agrees that there is no backing to it like others have stated. It could just disappear at any point. On the flip side as to why he would invest is the "Black Market Goods". This digital currency allows for you to buy and sell illegal goods as he puts it. As long as this market exists, bitcoin will be around. I will not be buying.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
There's a bunch of videos on youtube about what it is. Basically people take their computers and "mine" for Bitcoin. Essentially the computers are solving mathematical equations and when they do they get bitcoins. It's a long slow process and sometimes the energy consumption of your computer out ways how much bitcoin you mine.

With that said I have invested on and off in it and have made some money...but also lost some. In my opinion it's a sketchy investment at best and I never invest more in it than I can afford to lose. You could literally wake up tomorrow and have nothing to show for your investment.....with that said though some "experts are saying one bitcoin could go as high as $25,000 in the near future. (currently $7000+). If you're interested in investing look at the stock ticker GBTC or a super sketchy one BTSC

Last edited:

78Southwind

Reaction score
I would look at it simply like a digital version of gold. It is used as a currency. There is a limited supply of it and it cost money to mine (create). Therefore, as long as there is demand for it with a limited supply it will appreciate. It should be taxed similar to gold as well. What really sets it apart from gold is the technology behind it. The problem and what keeps me away from it is that sooner or later the US will find a way to regulate it. Once that happens it may be out of favor and the demand will decrease. If I were to personally put money into it, I would only use gambling money (money I can afford to lose). I personally like to invest in things that appreciate but also can provide dividends.

Last edited:

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Voodoo magic and fairy dust. J/k
I would like to understand it, but the few people that I’ve asked about it get to a certain point and are stumped. So I’ll sit back with my bucket of popcorn and watch this thread to see if anybody can come up with A reasonable explanation.:)
Honestly, its something that can't be easily explained. It's a very complex system that's suppose to be hack and fool proof with it's 256 bit hash algorithm.....and it is in a sense...
But again, the biggest problem with Btc is that it isn't backed by anything... just hopes and dreams

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
It's a decentralized (no central authority or system in control) secure (involves mathematical rules that cannot be broken) system to facilitate transactions.

The system works as an ongoing account ledger no different from a bank ledger, with one major except, no transactions from the past can be manipulated (account values), once they are processed they are locked in stone. This is done through a form of cryptography that joins all prior transactions together with the newest transactions with a secure mathematical validation. (if someone tried to manipulate a previous record, the math function fails and invalidates). This is the core of bitcoin technology, it's called Block Chain, and huge players like IBM and others are now taking this technology to use as a means of secure record keeping.

The system works like any kind of online payment system, you enter a receivers address, and send them the amount of Bitcoin.

People keep saying that "it's not backed by anything", or "it's a ponzi scheme" have very closed minds about economics. The paper money in your wallet isn't backed by anything, if you trade in the precious metals market those paper certificates aren't backed by anything either (orders of magnitude more gold is owned on paper than what physically exists). All of those things have value because of the value someone else is willing to pay for it, period. And the same goes for bitcoin.

Bitcoin and systems like it have massive practical value over other means of currency because:
1) No government, corporation, or agency has any control over the system.
2) The system is secured by an open source encryption that is unbreakable by any human technology and amount of processing power now or in the distant future.
3) Transactions can be made without going through any central authority, and sums ranging from pennies, to millions of dollars can be accessed from anywhere in the world with only 2 things, an internet connection, and the private key (a 64 character hex number).
4) Accounts are completely anonymous.

Who knows where this ends, but it's not coming any time soon. and the underlying technology will be used in a multitude of systems

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
It's a decentralized (no central authority or system in control) secure (involves mathematical rules that cannot be broken) system to facilitate transactions.

The system works as an ongoing account ledger no different from a bank ledger, with one major except, no transactions from the past can be manipulated (account values), once they are processed they are locked in stone. This is done through a form of cryptography that joins all prior transactions together with the newest transactions with a secure mathematical validation. (if someone tried to manipulate a previous record, the math function fails and invalidates). This is the core of bitcoin technology, it's called Block Chain, and huge players like IBM and others are now taking this technology to use as a means of secure record keeping.

The system works like any kind of online payment system, you enter a receivers address, and send them the amount of Bitcoin.

People keep saying that "it's not backed by anything", or "it's a ponzi scheme" have very closed minds about economics. The paper money in your wallet isn't backed by anything, if you trade in the precious metals market those paper certificates aren't backed by anything either (orders of magnitude more gold is owned on paper than what physically exists). All of those things have value because of the value someone else is willing to pay for it, period. And the same goes for bitcoin.

Bitcoin and systems like it have massive practical value over other means of currency because:
1) No government, corporation, or agency has any control over the system.
2) The system is secured by an open source encryption that is unbreakable by any human technology and amount of processing power now or in the distant future.
3) Transactions can be made without going through any central authority, and sums ranging from pennies, to millions of dollars can be accessed from anywhere in the world with only 2 things, an internet connection, and the private key (a 64 character hex number).
4) Accounts are completely anonymous.

Who knows where this ends, but it's not coming any time soon. and the underlying technology will be used in a multitude of systems

It's not being closed minded, it's being a realist. And yes, our dollar is backed by something....oil. Do you think the us likes to go to war because they have nothing else to do? Do you thing the Saudi purge that's been going on is a coincidence?The petrodollar isn't something out of a Dr Seuss book. It's what supports the entire us economy.

When it comes to Bitcoin, the only thing giving it any value is currency being poured into it. That's it. You need a commodity to give currency any value. It's been like that since the beginning of time and will continue to be until the end of time. We might not be on the gold standard anymore but there's a reason nation's like the us France Germany Italy and China have huge gold reserves. That's the difference between a commodity like gold and Bitcoin.

The only ones making real money are miners. And I'm not talking about your diy Bitcoin miner that does this recreationally on their 2-4k miner......I'm talking about the ones that have 3...4....5 story warehouses full of machines running 24/7 365.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
When originally started, a desk top computer had enough horse power to decrypt a Bitcoin, now it takes a server farm. They system was designed that way. Somewhere I read that there can only be 22 million Bitcoins in circulation and the last one won't be decrypted till sometime next century.

Bitcoin speculation is a classic bubble however. Kind of wish I would have paid more attention 5 or 6 years ago and started "mining" them. :D

Keeping in mind that salt, at one point in history, was the most valuable commodity.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Just watch CNBC. The biggest money guys in the world. Warren Buffet. Jim Cramer Jamie Diamond and many others, avoid it like the plague. Even the Najarian Bros., the options guys on CNBC wont touch it. go to Vegas, have fun with the money you can afford to lose.
Do not get sucked into the get rich quick crap.
Do not.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
It seems to me when the technology to affectively deploy and EMP comes to fruition all this electronic currency is going to be a moot point.

I appreciate those of you that have tried to educate me on the subject, but I think it’s hopeless for a Neanderthal like me to understand. Most likely I will be long dead before this becomes mainstream. In the meantime I’ll just keep collecting lead and waiting in my underground bunker. :):rolleyes:

hallett21

Reaction score
A couple weeks back amazon bought domain names that included bitcoin and ethereum.

Like anything need to really do your homework.

I think it's funny that people will call MSM media full of crap and say it has an agenda. But that doesn't apply during the financial segments?

H2O

Reaction score
just google "ponzi scheme" and you'll get the general idea...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Just watch CNBC. The biggest money guys in the world. Warren Buffet. Jim Cramer Jamie Diamond and many others, avoid it like the plague. Even the Najarian Bros., the options guys on CNBC wont touch it. go to Vegas, have fun with the money you can afford to lose.
Do not get sucked into the get rich quick crap.
Do not.

There’s an equal argument for those groups you listed to be anti bitcoin. Like going to an oil tycoon for investment advice in Tesla.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Lol when it's at 30k per BTC all the people saying it's a bubble will still be calling it a bubble, Just like they did when it hit $50, $100, $500, $1000, now 3 or 4 years later it at $7500.... :D:D:D:D They see it as a bubble because they dont understand the underlying utility of it. Gold is a store of value, not a useful currency, Difficult to divide, difficult to authenticate purity, can't be used for small fractional purchases, Bitcoin actually is useful as a currency. 1 Bitcoin can be divided into 100,000,000 individual pieces, so the 22Million cap is meaningless from that sense, most purchase made are with fractions of a coin, for example 0.0035 bitcoins is $27 dollars right now.

Bitcoin is not meant to be an investment, that is why these old timer "investors" won't buy it, they don't understand the fundamentals, it's a utility, and early adopters will make money on it as an investment per se. But that's not what it is designed for. When you see the billions that have been invested in adoption, online stores accepting it, brick and motars all around the world, vending machines, etc. There was a point in time where people said "Diner's Club is stupid, who would ever use that", Now in Europe over 90% of all daily purchase are made with CC/EFT, NOT CASH. Bitcoin is going after the CC market, not the investment market.

People that are saying an EMP will be the end of bitcoin, dude an EMP will be the end of life as we know it, because literally everything relies on computers now, Financial, banking, investment, logistics, delivery, medicine, food, your power grid, the pumps that keep the fresh water coming to your homes, Lol when EMP ends bitcoin that will the LEAST of anyone's worries. :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey wicky, if the USD's value is backed by oil, what happens when Saudi, Russia, China, etc decide to stop trading oil in dollars and start using another currency? lol

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
It was valued at a thousand or so several months ago. It closed at 8000 yesterday. If that isn't bubble I don't know what is. People are speculating on the value of Bitcoin, that is where the bubble aspect comes in. The big investment banks are building investment vehicles to speculate on it. Anything that can be speculated on is subject to "bubbles" and "crashes".

The "fractions of" aspect make it difficult for laypeople to consider it.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
20 years ago, "the internet is stupid, who would ever buy something without being able to see it in person" :D:D:D Now Jeff Bezos is worth 25 Billion, and everyone else that go in on the ground floor of Amazon are rich AF. Does that mean that because all that money has been made Amazon is now worthless? no, it's because they were early investors/adopters, Amazon has usable utility that means it still have value.

Look, i'm not discounting the idea that bitcoin is subject to a demand drive right now, but if you think that is the only reason it's value is being driven upward you are sadly mistaken. The value is in the usage/utility of it. There are huge investments made by big players in the adoption of the technology for the consumer.

The stock market is driven mainly on speculation, but nobody seriously uses that as justification to brush it off as a scheme. You can't trade a fraction of a stock share for a hamburger during trading hours, let alone 24 hours a day. :p

Like i said, Bitcoin is a utility, not an investment, early adopters get to reap the benefits of profits when that happens, but that isn't the fundamental of it's existence.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Lol when it's at 30k per BTC all the people saying it's a bubble will still be calling it a bubble, Just like they did when it hit $50, $100, $500, $1000, now 3 or 4 years later it at $7500.... :D:D:D:D They see it as a bubble because they dont understand the underlying utility of it. Gold is a store of value, not a useful currency, Difficult to divide, difficult to authenticate purity, can't be used for small fractional purchases, Bitcoin actually is useful as a currency. 1 Bitcoin can be divided into 100,000,000 individual pieces, so the 22Million cap is meaningless from that sense, most purchase made are with fractions of a coin, for example 0.0035 bitcoins is $27 dollars right now.

Bitcoin is not meant to be an investment, that is why these old timer "investors" won't buy it, they don't understand the fundamentals, it's a utility, and early adopters will make money on it as an investment per se. But that's not what it is designed for. When you see the billions that have been invested in adoption, online stores accepting it, brick and motars all around the world, vending machines, etc. There was a point in time where people said "Diner's Club is stupid, who would ever use that", Now in Europe over 90% of all daily purchase are made with CC/EFT, NOT CASH. Bitcoin is going after the CC market, not the investment market.

People that are saying an EMP will be the end of bitcoin, dude an EMP will be the end of life as we know it, because literally everything relies on computers now, Financial, banking, investment, logistics, delivery, medicine, food, your power grid, the pumps that keep the fresh water coming to your homes, Lol when EMP ends bitcoin that will the LEAST of anyone's worries. :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey wicky, if the USD's value is backed by oil, what happens when Saudi, Russia, China, etc decide to stop trading oil in dollars and start using another currency? lol
Exactly!!!
Racey.....man.....you are one bright dude.