WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smoke turkey

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
F8A3F89A-7463-4728-9A6F-524DAC9C95EC.jpeg
Whos gonna smoke their bird tomorrow? Got Miss Piggy all cleaned up and ready to rock for tomorrow

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Gonna smoke mine as well. Cleaned up the smoker over the weekend and did a test run ... all ready.

DLC

Reaction score
View attachment 603615 Whos gonna smoke their bird tomorrow? Got Miss Piggy all cleaned up and ready to rock for tomorrow

What is your plan for your smoking your bird? Can you Share your routine, seasoning and smoke time and temps do you tent it(foil warp) etc etc... thinking about doing ours on the treager. My bro in law usually does the turkey on a Weber

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
What is your plan for your smoking your bird? Can you Share your routine, seasoning and smoke time and temps do you tent it(foil warp) etc etc... thinking about doing ours on the treager. My bro in law usually does the turkey on a Weber

This is what I plan on doing on my smoker.

The bird will brine for 15 hours starting later this afternoon. Around 7am I'll take it out of the brine, rinse it and pat it dry.

Rub it with a concoction of butter, italian seasoning, and a bit of oregano ... getting some between the skin and meat. Some celery stalks, jalapeños, and orange slices will go in the cavity.

Smoke the bird with fruitwood pellets at about 285-300 degrees until the breast reads 165 degrees. Take it off and lightly text for 30 minutes.

Carve, and overeat. :D:D

thedan

Reaction score
Put cooked one out at the river yesterday! It was Bomb. Butter, seasoning, onion inside. In a oven bag inside 7 layers of foil. 32 lbs of charcoal, a half drum in the ground. 5 hours later, it was almost like soup in a bag(in a good way). I just picked out the bones. It was moist and just delicious.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
To be honest. I go to the treager web site and follow their brine & smoking instructions. Comes out great .
Gotta soak it in brine overnight

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Smoking one and deep frying one ,been in brine sense last night.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
This is what I plan on doing on my smoker.

The bird will brine for 15 hours starting later this afternoon. Around 7am I'll take it out of the brine, rinse it and pat it dry.

Rub it with a concoction of butter, italian seasoning, and a bit of oregano ... getting some between the skin and meat. Some celery stalks, jalapeños, and orange slices will go in the cavity.

Smoke the bird with fruitwood pellets at about 285-300 degrees until the breast reads 165 degrees. Take it off and lightly text for 30 minutes.

Carve, and overeat. :D:D

You might want to reduce your temp a little bit. I never smoke mine that high. Usually around 225. They cook pretty quick.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
You might want to reduce your temp a little bit. I never smoke mine that high. Usually around 225. They cook pretty quick.

The higher temp is to ensure crispy skin. I smoke spatchcock chickens between 260 and 275 ... sometimes raising the temp to 300 towards the end ... just to make sure the skin crisps up.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I cheated...ordered a smoked bird from a rib joint down the street :D

sintax

Reaction score
Treagar says to go hot to fuse the bird then smoke as long as you want, then crank it up to finish it off.

Using those cheater, I mean pellet smokers, is sometimes counter intuitive like that. I've heard you might be better off to do at the higher heat, and use another method to get smoke like one of the A-Maze-N smoke tubes. That is true that the higher the temp, the less smolder you get, the less smolder you get the less smoke.

shan

Reaction score
I do mine on a WSM with apple. I don't "smoke" because I cook at 325, but there is plenty of smoke. My experience is if cooked at lower temperatures, the skin is rubbery. I usually foil the top mid-way through so it doesn't crisp too much. Never tried on a pellet grill.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Interesting...been trying g to figure out which way to go on my GMG. Was gonna try low first this time. I've always gone the high first then slowed the bitch down. Still no complaints.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
In the past.....I've preheated at 400 plus cuz I'll use pellets in a small smoker box too. That way they'll start to smolder.....otherwise cooking low won't get them going. It's just enough to add a lil smoke flavor better than just the grill.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Still trying to find rolling papers that big ;) JK, going to relatives ... let them cook and clean plus we haul home leftovers

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Dam warm up here , had to add more ice.

Attachments

• 20171122_145423.jpg
    20171122_145423.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 62

Babyback

Reaction score
I do mine on a WSM with apple. I don't "smoke" because I cook at 325, but there is plenty of smoke. My experience is if cooked at lower temperatures, the skin is rubbery. I usually foil the top mid-way through so it doesn't crisp too much. Never tried on a pellet grill.

Me too on the WSM...Apple/hickory wood combo. 16 lb bird in some spice hunter brine overnight. Stuff the cavity with apple, onion, celery, and carrot. I cook it at about 250-275 and usually about a 4:30+ hours cook. I also cover the wings/legs midway.

Cdog

Reaction score
About to put mine in the green egg over mesquite.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Treagar says to go hot to fuse the bird then smoke as long as you want, then crank it up to finish it off.
I definitely like to send smoke signals when I open up the door the first time for bird installation. Cloudage is good and the injuns are circling now.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Since a pellet grill is basically a wood fired oven, that's exactly how I treat it. I stuffed my bird with my homemade cornbread/pecan stuffing and put the bird in a roasting pan with carrots, celery and onions on the bottom of the pan. Then I roast the bird on a GMG @ 350 degrees with a smoke tube filled with cherry wood going on the side.