WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smoking a Turkey

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
My first try at smoking a turkey. Soaked it in salt water over night. Then I washed it off and let it sit over night again in the frig uncovered. The next day I started the smoker with no chips or water pan. I put the turkey in it for 15 minutes. After that I took it out and rubbed it with olive oil. Back into the smoker with hot water in the water pan and hickory chips in the fire pan. The boiling water kept steam around the turkey that kept it moist. Ran two hours of hickory and six hours of apple chips. After eight hours of smoking at 250 degrees I took it out and wrapped it in a plastic bag. Placed the turkey back into the frig to cure over night. Open it up tonight and carved it. Talk about melt in your mouth and a lite smoked flavor. I'm sure there is other ways of doing this. Does anyone eles smoke thier game birds? Next I want to try cheese.:D

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 558

Old Man Havasu

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I keep it direct on a WSM at 350 with oak. I do a brine as well.

But I eat it as it comes off the smoker!

charlyox

Reaction score
Looks great. Looks like an electric smoker you are using. I am not suprised that you are pleased with the outcome. I have been smoking breast lately. I use a Webber smoker using Kingsford charcoal and hickory/apple wood chunks at about 220 degrees and it is done in 3 hours. It is like "butta" after letting it rest a half hour or so. Keep on smokin' you will keep learning how to inprove even when you think you have it mastered.

Jet-Daytona

Banned
Reaction score
My first try at smoking a turkey. Soaked it in salt water over night. Then I washed it off and let it sit over night again in the frig uncovered. The next day I started the smoker with no chips or water pan. I put the turkey in it for 15 minutes. After that I took it out and rubbed it with olive oil. Back into the smoker with hot water in the water pan and hickory chips in the fire pan. The boiling water kept steam around the turkey that kept it moist. Ran two hours of hickory and six hours of apple chips. After eight hours of smoking at 250 degrees I took it out and wrapped it in a plastic bag. Placed the turkey back into the frig to cure over night. Open it up tonight and carved it. Talk about melt in your mouth and a lite smoked flavor. I'm sure there is other ways of doing this. Does anyone eles smoke thier game birds? Next I want to try cheese.:D

Is this a Test Run for Thanksgiving?:thumbsup

wolfie

Reaction score
I bet Bilge clicked on here looking to see how you rolled it only to find out you posted turkey and not Turkish!!

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Is this a Test Run for Thanksgiving?:thumbsup
Yep. Going to do all three this year, baked,fried and smoked.

Someone asked, it's a gas smoker. I put a high fire/ low fire t-stat on it.
I bet Bilge clicked on here looking to see how you rolled it only to find out you posted turkey and not Turkish!!

Can we post your green house projects on here? I do live in Oregon you know.:D

LakeRat

Nobody drives my boat,..
Reaction score
Wow,.. That's making me hungry,..
What was the internal temp, thigh and breast when ya pulled it?
Why the 15 min warm up and the olive oil?
Awesome job,.. Geez,..

I would love to try cheese but cold smoking where i live is iffy,..

My last (ahem) smokin' project:

Attachments

• IMG_4283.jpg
    IMG_4283.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 536

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Wow,.. That's making me hungry,..
What was the internal temp, thigh and breast when ya pulled it?
Why the 15 min warm up and the olive oil?
Awesome job,.. Geez,..

I would love to try cheese but cold smoking where i live is iffy,..

My last (ahem) smokin' project:

Never checked the temp. 250 at eight hours,it was done. In my dads notes it said to heat and dry for 15min then rub down with oil. I think that is what gives it that golden color. Dad is no longer with us to ask.

What was that rub you used? Looks great from here.:thumbsup

bead

bead
Reaction score
was going to BBQ this year.
I did a Brisket last year came out pretty good

Attachments

• little Jack&COKE 001.jpg
    little Jack&COKE 001.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 530
  • little Jack&COKE 002.jpg
    little Jack&COKE 002.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 519
  • little Jack&COKE 003.jpg
    little Jack&COKE 003.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:

LakeRat

Nobody drives my boat,..
Reaction score
Never checked the temp. 250 at eight hours,it was done. In my dads notes it said to heat and dry for 15min then rub down with oil. I think that is what gives it that golden color. Dad is no longer with us to ask.

Sorry about the dad part,..

Rub is this:
PM and I will send ya some, just tell me how much ya want,.. Secret recipe

pic follows:

Attachments

• IMG_4269.jpg
    IMG_4269.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:

LakeRat

Nobody drives my boat,..
Reaction score

<in my dads notes it said to heat and dry for 15min then rub down with oil. I think that is what gives it that golden color. Dad is no longer with us to ask.>

I think he was forming an artificial Pellicle (ala Smoked Salmon,..) --effen awesome job hefe.

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score
Looks good.

I've smoked turkeys on the standard Weber BBQ. Comes out great. I have pictures on my other computer, I'll try and post 'em up when I get a chance.

Probably won't be til Tuesday the way things are going. :p

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Tried some cheese today. Made a real quick smoke generator out of some 3' pipe, coffee can starter, a few briquets and vent hose. Put two briquets in a short piece of 3" pipe, filled it with chips and covered it with the hose going up to the smoker. Used mild chedder and cut it into 1" x 1" square chunks Smoked one for 40min, 30min, 25min and 20 minutes. The 40 minute tasted a little sooty but the 20 had good flavor. Going to let all four sit and air out over night. Going to have to make a propane fired smoke generator. Any ideas?:D

Attachments

• cheese smoking 008.jpg
    cheese smoking 008.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 269
  • cheese smoking 006.jpg
    cheese smoking 006.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 266
  • cheese smoking 005.jpg
    cheese smoking 005.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 268
  • cheese smoking 004.jpg
    cheese smoking 004.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 270
  • cheese smoking 003.jpg
    cheese smoking 003.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 265
  • cheese smoking 002.jpg
    cheese smoking 002.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 268
  • cheese smoking 001.jpg
    cheese smoking 001.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 277

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
You have waaayyyy to much time on your hands.:D

but I love your posts even if you don't know how to build a proper pad for a high speed boat.;)

Jet-Daytona

Banned
Reaction score
I am disappointed in the 2-cell blocks,as have been used to your first class custom work.:D

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
I have a little cheif smoker and i tried some beef jerky today but it came out bitter. i did half my batch in the smoker and the other half in the dehydrator and the dehydator was perfect. is the smoke not good for jerky? i wanted to try cheese to but didnt get to it today.

charlyox

Reaction score
Go-Fly, did you let the charcoal get good and white? I smoke all the time with charcoal and never get that "sooty" taste. I can see why you did it the way you did. You could have ended up with "chese dip' if any heat got to the cheese.

Old Man Havasu

Reaction score
Forget briquets go with lump charcoal. No bad taste and none of that briquet smell!:thumbsup

charlyox

Reaction score
Lately I have been taking a package of chicken wings, season them with a rub, then smoking them for about 1 1/2 hours at 220 degrees and then tossing them in a stainless steel bowl with franks hot sauce. They kick ass. I buy Franks at SAMS by the gallon. It is about the same price as a 12oz. bottle at the market.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
You have waaayyyy to much time on your hands.:D

but I love your posts even if you don't know how to build a proper pad for a high speed boat.;)
Ooooch, the AzGeo flash back,---I'm better now.:D
I am disappointed in the 2-cell blocks,as have been used to your first class custom work.:D

I'm a good ole boy at heart.:D

Havasteve

Reaction score
A little light but tasty. Should have rubbed it down with butter for a browned color.
Turkey20Time200061.jpg

Smoked with Oak and a little Mesquite at 250.
Turkey20Time200051.jpg

Preheating the pit.
Turkey20Time200011.jpg

If you are going to brine, the bird should weigh 15% more at the end of brining.

Mixing a brine, use a few unbroken eggs at the bottom of a 5gal bucket, add salt to the water until the eggs rise to the top. Basically this gives you the 80 degree brine thats needed.

Rubbing the bird with butter gives me the best skin.

Oh, I do build these pits here in the river area. www.azpitandgrill.com

And for the ultimate in smoked treats:

ABT's Atomic Buffalo Turds

Jalipeno stuffed with Philly topped with a half a Little Smoky Joe Cocktail Sausage wrapped in Bacon and smoked with Apple wood for 4-6 hrs.
DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0607.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I brined mine and then rubbed it last year for a day and let it ride at 225-250 for about 4 hours...It actually cooked alot faster than I would have thought.

It turned out great and I will be going another this year for sure!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
I tried to smoke a turkey, but it wouldn't fit in the bong :rolleyes:

HavaPaul

Reaction score
A little light but tasty. Should have rubbed it down with butter for a browned color.

Smoked with Oak and a little Mesquite at 250.

Preheating the pit.
Turkey20Time200011.jpg

If you are going to brine, the bird should weigh 15% more at the end of brining.

Mixing a brine, use a few unbroken eggs at the bottom of a 5gal bucket, add salt to the water until the eggs rise to the top. Basically this gives you the 80 degree brine thats needed.

Rubbing the bird with butter gives me the best skin.

Oh, I do build these pits here in the river area. www.azpitandgrill.com

And for the ultimate in smoked treats:

ABT's Atomic Buffalo Turds

Jalipeno stuffed with Philly topped with a half a Little Smoky Joe Cocktail Sausage wrapped in Bacon and smoked with Apple wood for 4-6 hrs.

Someone mention smoked fish? Strippers right out of Havi. We call'em Chubs. From HavaSteve's pit.
... I tell ya, if there are no woman or children around, that stuff comes off the smoker, on to the table, and it's like a dog pack feeding off kill.:D

DSCF1293.JPG

Last edited:

rivergames

Reaction score
I tried to smoke a turkey, but it wouldn't fit in the bong :rolleyes:

You could always pack a bowl in the turkeys mouth and smoke it right out his ass :drool

:skull

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score

Attachments

• fatty.jpg
    fatty.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 191

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
DSCF1293.JPG

That looks like something from The Ren & Stimpy Show
whispervh1.gif

:D

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

Hell yeah!!! Nice work! Try putting 2 or 3 packets of hot apple cider mix and about 4 or 5 Tablespoons of garlic into the steam pan if you want to add a little extra zing.