WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So Rhino, Kawi or Polaris?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What's the verdict? Are the new Kawi's better then both? Or the Rhino and Polaris still about even with the Kawi falling behind?

Any word?

just for cruising around, and offroading etc.. Yes on the back seat, but not into long travel and dumping 10 grand into one of these deals aftermarket.

RD

PVHCA

Reaction score
I like my Rhino for performance reasons. I've driven both the Polaris and the Kawi and am convinced the rhino is much more capable of off roading and desert running. Comfort wise I'd say change the stock Rhino seats to PRP and make sure the Rhino you get has resevoir shocks, trust me they make a huge difference from stock non-resevoir. As far as F.I against carb the carb is just cold blooded but the F.I. as far as I know they haven't perfected the CDI box yet so your stuck at 42MPH, my 06 SE Rhino with BFG AT KO tires will do 52MPH with 2 adults and 2 children and 54MPH with just me in it. My buddy has a Ranger and swears by it but I hate the front seat setting so straight upright. I didn't like the Kawi's profile. Just my $.02. Good luck, If your ever up Needles way I'll take you on some great trails to see what ya think.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
You realize in order to own any of them you have to become a yuppie? :D:D
________
Vfr750R

Last edited:

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't go with the Kawi just yet. Still a little too new, not to mention it's a v-twin with dual carbs... seems like the potential for more headache down the road.

The Polaris Ranger is wider, but I'm not keen on the bench seat up front. On the plus side, it's a 700cc and is fuel injected. AJ's does seem to have a hair more ground clearance than the rhinos, but we all have tackled the same trails and gotten to the same places and back.

Dollar for dollar, I think I'd still stick with the Rhino now. Haven't heard much good on the new fuel injected ones yet. Personally, I'd find a used one that someone threw a grip of money at and now needs to get away from. Craig's list is full of them. Some of the dune sites would also be a good place to check I'd suspect, especially now that dune season is winding down.

For your $10K that you don't want to throw into it??? HA HA HA!!! Good luck with that. They're worse than a boat...

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't go with the Kawi just yet. Still a little too new, not to mention it's a v-twin with dual carbs... seems like the potential for more headache down the road.

The Polaris Ranger is wider, but I'm not keen on the bench seat up front. On the plus side, it's a 700cc and is fuel injected. AJ's does seem to have a hair more ground clearance than the rhinos, but we all have tackled the same trails and gotten to the same places and back.

Dollar for dollar, I think I'd still stick with the Rhino now. Haven't heard much good on the new fuel injected ones yet. Personally, I'd find a used one that someone threw a grip of money at and now needs to get away from. Craig's list is full of them. Some of the dune sites would also be a good place to check I'd suspect, especially now that dune season is winding down.

For your $10K that you don't want to throw into it??? HA HA HA!!! Good luck with that. They're worse than a boat...

This is what I would recommend. Take advantage of one that some other idiot has dumped all the cash into.
________
VAPOR GENIE REVIEW

Last edited:

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Rhino is the most comfortable, most reliable, and cheapest right now(used). Power goes to the Kawi...that twin can be made to put out some sick numbers with only a few mods....much more potential than a single cylinder 660.....twins basil twins.....

If I was buying new I'd get the Kawi....most of the stuff that is gonna break I'd be replacing anyway....

If I was cost conscious :D I'd get a clean used Rhino.

My "friend" has the Ranger and though it is wide and cool...he has had all kinds of problems and right now his tranny sounds like it's full of marbles....he won't even go on rides by himself for fear of it leaving him stranded ....good thing he got the long warranty:eek::(

Chris<------ Getting old and doesn't have time to wrench on $hit.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Ranger has built in cup holders;):D

I think the ranger is a better starting point for a 5 seater.

Rhino is much sportier

I don't know a ton about the kawi other than they put a better motor in a rhino and called it a teryx:D:skull

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
My Rhino has cup holders and actually runs:D No "stud" problems at all:D

Mine ran, it just had some exhaust issues that are currently being addressed. Should have it back next Friday. :beer

Oh, and it ran, just had no exhaust system and was a tad loud and annoying. :eek:

It is fun to drive without that monster cage on it... Just a tad lighter, to the point that I can pull the front wheels off the ground a bit. Am sure that the new exhaust wil help too!!! :cool:

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
:hmm the Carb Rhina are faster then the Ranger... thats about it :D stock out of the box Ranger is alot stronger then the Rhina. they are called Rhina for a reason. (soft):beer

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
:hmm the Carb Rhina are faster then the Ranger... thats about it :D stock out of the box Ranger is alot stronger then the Rhina. they are called Rhina for a reason. (soft):beer

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with the Ranger that just recently ended up with a new cage and frame... really strong. :beer

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
:skull:skull:lmao

Not to mention, I see lots of people racing Rhinas and beating on them pretty regularly, and I haven't noticed alot of Ran-ginas out there... :lmao

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Not to mention, I see lots of people racing Rhinas and beating on them pretty regularly, and I haven't noticed alot of Ran-ginas out there... :lmao

Well the RZR's are really starting to kill it in the racing series now. Now the plain Rangers?????/They be on the sideline. :D:D
________
MARIJUANA HEMP

Last edited:

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
Well the RZR's are really starting to kill it in the racing series now. Now the plain Rangers?????/They be on the sideline. :D:D

The RZR's scare me when it comes to stability... they seem to be a little shorter, narrower, and more top heavy than a Rhino or Ranger... Oh, and I haven't seen a 4 seater yet. :beer

The Rangers at the races??? Yeah, they use them to move the hay bales around. :lmao:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
The RZR's scare me when it comes to stability... they seem to be a little shorter, narrower, and more top heavy than a Rhino or Ranger... Oh, and I haven't seen a 4 seater yet. :beer

The Rangers at the races??? Yeah, they use them to move the hay bales around. :lmao:D

The ground keepers use them to drag the track after the races too. :D
________
DT400

Last edited:

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
got pics of me towing one home Prez weekend broken rear A-Arm over a little jump. stock they they are soft :beer Just sayin

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
got pics of me towing one home Prez weekend broken rear A-Arm over a little jump. stock they they are soft :beer Just sayin

I'm willing to bet it was a driver that ran out of talent. I've abused the shit out of mine to the point where it should have broke. So far its all good.........;):D:D
________
Buy silversurfer vaporizer

Last edited:

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
Rhino is the most comfortable, most reliable, and cheapest right now(used). Power goes to the Kawi...that twin can be made to put out some sick numbers with only a few mods....much more potential than a single cylinder 660.....twins basil twins.....
If I was buying new I'd get the Kawi....most of the stuff that is gonna break I'd be replacing anyway....

My "friend" has the Ranger and though it is wide and cool...he has had all kinds of problems and right now his tranny sounds like it's full of marbles....he won't even go on rides by himself for fear of it leaving him stranded ....good thing he got the long warranty:eek::(

Chris<------ Getting old and doesn't have time to wrench on .

You must have talked to Brian at LTR huh?!?!? He said just changin the piston and rings and putting a mild cam in it should increase the HP to around 80ish.

PVHCA

Reaction score
I think everyone has an opinion but give me a break, just because someone tows a RHINO with their Rangina makes it better, I've towed two Ranginas before and that doesn't make my RHINO better, hell I've climbed hills in 2WD that some Ranginas couldn't make in 4WD, all opinions. Most people buy the Ranginas because they are CHEAPER!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think everyone has an opinion but give me a break, just because someone tows a RHINO with their Rangina makes it better, I've towed two Ranginas before and that doesn't make my RHINO better, hell I've climbed hills in 2WD that some Ranginas couldn't make in 4WD, all opinions. Most people buy the Ranginas because they are CHEAPER!!

Well I'm kinda heavily looking into getting one.. The rainger seems to be making the most sense for me. As you mentioned it's a little more cost effective, but for what I'm using it for, I think the 3 person front seat would be a better fit. (Primarily a golf kart)

RD

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Well I'm kinda heavily looking into getting one.. The rainger seems to be making the most sense for me. As you mentioned it's a little more cost effective, but for what I'm using it for, I think the 3 person front seat would be a better fit. (Primarily a golf kart)

RD

Well the Ranger does seem to fit he older slower types. So i guess it would be the right choice for you. :D:D Hey Dave, have you sat in them all yet?
________
Cannabis collective

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well the Ranger does seem to fit he older slower types. So i guess it would be the right choice for you. :D:D Hey Dave, have you sat in them all yet?

Just the Ranger and Rhino.. Sat in an have driven plenty of tricked out Rhino's as well. Not really looking to use it as some die hard offroad machine, but rather a circle K runner if you know what I mean.. LOL With the occasional trip up the hill.

RD

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Just the Ranger and Rhino.. Sat in an have driven plenty of tricked out Rhino's as well. Not really looking to use it as some die hard offroad machine, but rather a circle K runner if you know what I mean.. LOL With the occasional trip up the hill.

RD

Sounds like an expensive grocery getter. Why not just get a golf cart then Dave?
________
GIRLFRIEND PICTURES

Last edited:

jordy

Banned
Reaction score

RD

Why not just scrape a few more pennies together and buy Instigator's cart then??? You're talking a couple grand versus 10K or more... I know you're a baller and all, but seriously... :point:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Why not just scrape a few more pennies together and buy Instigator's cart then??? You're talking a couple grand versus 10K or more... I know you're a baller and all, but seriously... :point:D

Dave just wants to be a yuppie like the rest of us. :)
________
VAPORIZERS

Last edited:

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score

RD

Dave if you get the Ranger make sure to get the big warranty and know where a dealer is close. My "friend" has had his Ranger at the dealer more times than I can count on one hand. He got it for just the reasons you are noting and although he loves it when it runs...it has been a major pain in the a$$ taking it in all the time. That being said I've known some Rhino owners with the same problems.....but I see a lot more issues with Rangers than Rhinos.

Dan...I may have talked with Brian:D and a few others....I have been saying since day one....the manufacturer that puts a solid "twin" in a SxS was going to be KING. The added torque and room to grow is why the Kawi will be KING unless Yamaha does something to match it. I've always wanted to put a Ducati Twin or maybe even one of the KTM twins in a Rhino and go wheelying.

Chris

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
I have been saying since day one....the manufacturer that puts a solid "twin" in a SxS was going to be KING.

I still don't understand why they would do dual carbs on the deal... just seems like added headache on something that is down that low in the dirt... Doing a single carb with a Y intake, harley style, would be the simpler way to do it, at least IMHO. Then again, I have a Rhina so, what do I know... :beer:D

p.s. The seat latches showed up, but I haven't had a chance to swap them out yet. Thanks.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I prefer the rhino due to the fact that there is MUCH more aftermarket support, plus they have been beat to death and continue to work well.

I know danny was talking about selling his you could probably pick it up pretty cheap, and for the right price Mine is for sale too. ;)

I did not like the Ranger, It was too utilitarian and alot like dricing a bus to me. If you are looking for somehting truly as a Keys runner or grocery getter, you ahould look into the Kawasaki Mule they make stock 6 seater versions, they arent to off raod capable though, or like others have said a Golf Cart, I have seen some modified golf carts go all over the place in Glamis and Ocotillo. Plus with the Popularity of the sideby side market the carts are much less desireable now and pretty inexpensive to pick up a pimped out one.
________
Extreme vaporizers

Last edited:

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
i've had mine for two years now with no problem. only oil changes. maybe i'm the lucky one. my 17year old has taken it to Glamis and was jumping the crap out of it :swear because i was not there to kick his ass, but he showed me pics:)

Big Kahunaa

Reaction score
You must have talked to Brian at LTR huh?!?!? He said just changin the piston and rings and putting a mild cam in it should increase the HP to around 80ish.

just rebuild the motor and you can get some good power

i have a ranger and love it has never been to the shop and bought it because i liked not because of price

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sounds like an expensive grocery getter. Why not just get a golf cart then Dave?

The ocasional run up the hill is why.. Plus if we go on any more desert trips it'll give stacy something to cruise around on etc..

Any "cool" golf kart is 5G's.. I've just come to that realization. I've never seen one that I really liked that was just some amazingly cheap deal. If I'm going to spend 5, then financing 10,700 (with the extended warranty according to a guy on here in another post) at 3.99 really isn't that much more? (Polaris deal going on right now).

Truthfully for my usage I think the Ranger might be the one.. If I was going to die hard offroad the thing then I think the Rhino or the Teryx (most likely Teryx) would be my pick. I like the wider 3 seat deal of the ranger.. That being said, I think I'll be getting a ranger here pretty quick. :)

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The ocasional run up the hill is why.. Plus if we go on any more desert trips it'll give stacy something to cruise around on etc..

Any "cool" golf kart is 5G's.. I've just come to that realization. I've never seen one that I really liked that was just some amazingly cheap deal. If I'm going to spend 5, then financing 10,700 (with the extended warranty according to a guy on here in another post) at 3.99 really isn't that much more? (Polaris deal going on right now).

Truthfully for my usage I think the Ranger might be the one.. If I was going to die hard offroad the thing then I think the Rhino or the Teryx (most likely Teryx) would be my pick. I like the wider 3 seat deal of the ranger.. That being said, I think I'll be getting a ranger here pretty quick. :)

RD

Freaking yuppie:point:D

Be carefull of using it as a golf cart in your neighborhood when everyone is hammered. The things are fast and can do alot of damage if not driven responsibly.

Personally I would never take mine to Riverland during the summer. (We have had people cause enough damage in slow carts;))

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
I take mine to Riverland. then people like you barrow it in the summer time:D
0216081017a.jpg

jordy

Banned
Reaction score

Gotta love RD math... almost $11K really isn't that much more than $5K... Instigators cart is in the neighborhood of $2K and then have Dennis do up a new vinyl wrap for it, problem solved...

If I had your money I'd burn mine, baller. :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I take mine to Riverland. then people like you barrow it in the summer time:D
View attachment 8842

come on....you know I'm responsible:D:beer

I brought it back in perfect condition....You on the other hand rolled yours twice in the park in the first week:skull:swear:beer:lmao

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
come on....you know I'm responsible:D:beer

I brought it back in perfect condition....You on the other hand rolled yours twice in the park in the first week:skull:swear:beer:lmao

Live and learn

when are we going together again? drinky drinky:rolleyes:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I can't wait until you have kids. See how your plans change :D

no doubt....

Sadly the only way I can have kids is if I give up the boat,rhino and going to the river;):hmm:D

Atlest we will still be able to hang out on superbowl and chat online...lol:swear:D

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Leave it in your not getting any younger
and you don't have to give up anything. just have to adjust:rolleyes:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Leave it in your not getting any younger
and you don't have to give up anything. just have to adjust:rolleyes:

lol...I like target practice better:D

lol...adjust huh

I need to find about 1500 extra a month to pay my current bills;)

Freaking rhino payment is killing me:skull:eek:

phuggit

Reaction score

Chris<------ Getting old and doesn't have time to wrench on .

Fock Polaris! Buy a Rhino. Our Ranger has been nothing but a pain in the ass. It's in the shop right now and if Polaris doesn't step up and fix the pos it's going up for sale. Their customer service sucks. No one will give you an answer on anything, they'll just send you back in forth between the dealer and the manufacturer. I had one ass clown tell me to call back in the morning because he was getting off of work in a few minutes and he didn't have time to handle my issue.:mad:

Dave, Check out the PRC forum. Read about all the peeps with tranny and belt issues before you buy a Polaris product.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Went ot the Sac boat show today, lots of dealers sitting around wishing someone would buy a boat, none of them seemed to be moving anything.
They opened it up to ATV dealers, and we got to "test sit" a Kawaski again.
Unless some issue pops up with them, I am probably gonna buy one later this summer when the shine comes off. If something does happen to scare me, we'lll buy a Rhino under the plan Jordy described.
For me, at 6-4 ad 270ish, the Kawi is more comfy interior room size, but the stock seats gotta go.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Fock Polaris! Buy a Rhino. Our Ranger has been nothing but a pain in the ass. It's in the shop right now and if Polaris doesn't step up and fix the pos it's going up for sale. Their customer service sucks. No one will give you an answer on anything, they'll just send you back in forth between the dealer and the manufacturer. I had one ass clown tell me to call back in the morning because he was getting off of work in a few minutes and he didn't have time to handle my issue.:mad:

Dave, Check out the PRC forum. Read about all the peeps with tranny and belt issues before you buy a Polaris product.

I'm sorry Bro I hope they step up and make it right.....It really is a cool rig when it's running right and that stereo is PIMP:D

Chris

Revndave

Reaction score
I like the Polaris.I have an 06 no belt issues.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Gotta love RD math... almost $11K really isn't that much more than $5K... Instigators cart is in the neighborhood of $2K and then have Dennis do up a new vinyl wrap for it, problem solved...

If I had your money I'd burn mine, baller. :D

If I had your money I'd already have one of these damn things sitting in my garage.. LOL I'm a broke dick.. LOL

That's interesting to hear.. What is the PRC forum?

I like the Polaris.I have an 06 no belt issues.

Good to know as well.

I'm kinda tossed now.. I have some $$ coming in for various things, and figure I'd just put it as a 1/2 down on a ranger, but if they got problems..

Then I'm thinking I might just get teh boat regelled instead?

RD

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Dave, I talked with my buddy that bought the tricked out kawi tonight. He said they went out to glamis last weekend (first real trip) and it went every where no problems. there is also a 900cc kit available for them. Its the only sidexside I have been in, so I dont really have a valid opinion as far as comparison. the one thing that I did notice was a lack of ground clearance. I guess I am used to being in much higher offroad vehicles.