WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sway Arm: Just how tight?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
3E73BD9C-BCD4-46E2-99AC-21A2940FD53F.jpg

Never messed with sway arms.
The carrier mounts have Zert fittings so that suggests that the sway bar may rotate a bit, or it may be to quiet them or other reasons.
Do you torque to a certain value or just snug or tighten smartly?

This I ask because I installed these sway bar link shocks and nothing in the instructions. In fact no written instructions just pictures.
Does the sway bar act like a Torsion bar or float a bit or what?

Waddya think?

Thanks

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Sway bar doesn?t come into play at all until the vehicle starts to roll. At that point the sway bar twists like a tortion bar effectively trying to keep the vehicle level.

When going over perfectly even whoops or a jump, the sway bar will move up and down on both sides together with no effect on the suspension travel. Those zerks are just there to lube that rotational motion in the mount so it doesn?t affect your effective spring rate by being stiff.

What are they saying the shocks do? It seems like the only thing they might help with is very small bumps to keep the sway bar from affecting the suspension?

Reactions: TPC

RaceTec

Reaction score
The way those pillow blocks look, I would guess that they do not compress against the sway bar. So you should tighten them completely, not knowing the size of the bolt I can't tell you what torque... The sway bar action is in torsion when one side of the suspension rises and in rotation when both sides rise at the same time. This means that is you hit a bump on the passenger side the sway bar rotates in torsion pulling the drivers side up a little. The shocks basically dampen that action until they reach the max of their travel then the sway bar acts like it did when hard linked... If you both arms see the same travel then the sway bar does nothing but rotate as the suspension compresses and the rebounds. The shocks allow loose sway bar action until they reach the end of their travel.

Hope this helps, have a safe trip! I am jealous!
Jeremy

Like Paradise said ^

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Sway bar doesn?t come into play at all until the vehicle starts to roll. At that point the sway bar twists like a tortion bar effectively trying to keep the vehicle level.

When going over perfectly even whoops or a jump, the sway bar will move up and down on both sides together with no effect on the suspension travel. Those zerks are just there to lube that rotational motion in the mount so it doesn?t affect your effective spring rate by being stiff.

What are they saying the shocks do? It seems like the only thing they might help with is very small bumps to keep the sway bar from affecting the suspension?

They improve cornering, soak up some wheel hop when the wheels are spinning wild and apeshit in sand, and give a bit of relief in slow speed ride comfort.
Does all three to some extent but not sure yet what the trade off is.
Ill run them awhile then put the stock links back on for a comparison.

The way those pillow blocks look, I would guess that they do not compress against the sway bar. So you should tighten them completely, not knowing the size of the bolt I can't tell you what torque... The sway bar action is in torsion when one side of the suspension rises and in rotation when both sides rise at the same time. This means that is you hit a bump on the passenger side the sway bar rotates in torsion pulling the drivers side up a little. The shocks basically dampen that action until they reach the max of their travel then the sway bar acts like it did when hard linked... If you both arms see the same travel then the sway bar does nothing but rotate as the suspension compresses and the rebounds. The shocks allow loose sway bar action until they reach the end of their travel.

Hope this helps, have a safe trip! I am jealous!
Jeremy

Like Paradise said ^

Thanks for the takes.
:thumbsup
I've just snugged them down for now to roughly how they might have been stock before the mini shocks.

The X3 handles the salmon run whoops at Dumont well and better and faster than our stock Rzr XPT did but it's not close to a LT Car or T truck.
For a stock SxS it's good and nothing more.
Evidently theirs a shock tuning set up from a few places like Shock Therapy, UTV Shocks and others that improves the low speed ride quality and it'll soak up a little bigger whoops better at faster speeds.

After driving Rzrs for years the X3 amazes me how steady it is in the rough. It ain't no 10 car but it's a good SxS.
A blast to drive with spectacular acceleration.

underpressure

Reaction score
I picked up a set of those for my RZR, going to try them out in a couple of weeks. Will report back on how they work...

Your CanAm is bad ass!

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
If you un hook the shock you will see why there is a lube point. That sway bar will ride up and down all day long. I agree with what was said above. It looks like they mount does not clamp down on the actual bar so I'd say just "over tight" torque setting is in order.:skull Not sure if the mount is aluminum but putting some non-permanent lock tight on there is probably a good idea. You might have to read which one to use based on the metal (haven't messed with the stuff for a while so I'm not sure if it matters). That sway bar will get a ton of use out in the desert.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I mean't sway bar not sway arm.

Thanks for the takes.:thumbsup
I just snugged it smartly and seems to be good to go.