WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tahoe Keys South Lake Tahoe

gmnhra

Reaction score
Looking for second "home" for retirement days. Will do Havasu for 6-8 months and somewhere else during the stupid hot months in Havi. Looking at condos in the Keys in south lake Tahoe. rent it during the winter and use it during a few summer months. anyone have any experience here or have any inputs???

just don't think I can do full time havasu and sorta done with south OC

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Looking for second "home" for retirement days. Will do Havasu for 6-8 months and somewhere else during the stupid hot months in Havi. Looking at condos in the Keys in south lake Tahoe. rent it during the winter and use it during a few summer months. anyone have any experience here or have any inputs???

I have some input. We looked into buying a condo in there last year and you might already know this but just in case you don't I'll mention it. There's the initial cost of the condo, which are sky high right now, and then there's Tahoe Keys HOA fees. On top of that the condos pay a separate HOA fee and the fee is so much that you'd almost break even if you found a cheap house and bought that. We were looking at condos that were about 350K in price(at the time) and then you slap another $1200 a month on top of that and it priced us out. We could of swung it if we rented it out but we didn't want to do that.

You'll be hard pressed to find one now under 600K that has a water view.

gmnhra

Reaction score
f me... I knew there was going to be a catch...
1200 in HOA...

thanks

PaPaG

Reaction score

I would personally stay away from the keys due to the crazy HOA and extra fees every year. We saw a few places in there but the 4-6k extra in Keys fee along with the high HOA fee was crazy, you could spend 1000-1400 additional a month for the rest of your ownership outside of house costs..You can find great condos all over town without all the super high HOA's and additional fees. Spend a while looking, we did and found the best condo imaginable for what we were looking for and it won't break the bank. I did a crap load of research and then used a local realtor we know that knows the area well. Expect to pay 400-500 a month for association fee including community fee if in a desired area for snow removal, maintenance possibly beach access etc...Also if you really want to stay away from all the cali bullshit buy something right at State Line up Kingsbury grade on the NV side...many many luxury places up there. Most of the people we have met up there that had places in the Keys sold and moved outside the keys HOA and say it was the smartest thing they ever did, the savings pays for trips year round. JMO...

GRADS

Reaction score
f me... I knew there was going to be a catch...
1200 in HOA...

thanks
Honestly, at the end of the day we figured it would be cheaper to rent a place for 3 months than it would be to buy a place. Although you don't gain or lose equity obviously if you are renting.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Most are not aware that Whistler was mostly built in 1983 for Expo 86. Prior to 1983 most here skied in Tahoe at least once per season. So my parents built a house in Incline to use and rent out during the times we not there. I miss that place they sold it around 1991/2 time frame. Good thread. Id like to rent there to ski a week or so. Maybe do a summer trip on the lake.

here is our old house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/717-Golfers-Pass-Rd-Incline-Village-NV-89451/7326889_zpid/

gmnhra

Reaction score
thanks for the inputs
I am spoiled at the havasu location at the islander..on the water...slips, etc. so that's why I thought Tahoe keys looked interesting...
the HOA stuff kills it (although the monthly Islander lease is no free ride)...
The NV side has some intrigue also in that it might be possible to use that as residency and save the state income tax...

not pulling any triggers soon....

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
The keys are cool, but seem run down over the past 20 years. Definitely due for a revamp. I am there at least once every two weeks during the summer so I know it pretty well.

I have one of the best realtors around if you need a connect. Message me if you would like. I am not sure if he does much in Tahoe, but he will definitely give you some direction if you need it.

Stop by my shop in if you are in town! I am in Reno.

707dog

Reaction score
The keys are cool, but seem run down over the past 20 years. Definitely due for a revamp. I am there at least once every two weeks during the summer so I know it pretty well.

I have one of the best realtors around if you need a connect. Message me if you would like. I am not sure if he does much in Tahoe, but he will definitely give you some direction if you need it.

Stop by my shop in if you are in town! I am in Reno.
whats your shop name we get up to reno quite often actually just booked my room for the rib cook off last night

hallett21

Reaction score
Honestly, at the end of the day we figured it would be cheaper to rent a place for 3 months than it would be to buy a place. Although you don't gain or lose equity obviously if you are renting.

Man with that HOA do you ever gain equity lol.

What's a rental up there for a week run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRADS

Reaction score
Man with that HOA do you ever gain equity lol.

What's a rental up there for a week run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can get a place for a week for under $1000 and you can spend higher than $6K, just depends on what you want. There are also long term rentals(monthly) for as cheap as $2-3K

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
How about Mammoth Lakes? It has fishing and golf, hiking in the summer... and epic skiing all winter. Not as nice of course... But easily rentable.

GRADS

Reaction score
I'm hoping to live in Tahoe permanently some day, although my wife says Mexico.:(

gmnhra

Reaction score
How about Mammoth Lakes? It has fishing and golf, hiking in the summer... and epic skiing all winter. Not as nice of course... But easily rentable.
Mammoth is on the list...we are there frequently
We almost pulled the trigger on a 3 BR condo in the village last year. We did the math and with some winter rental calculated in, the math worked....until....
50%...yes 50% management fee for the rental...WTF

That killed the math....

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Mammoth is on the list...we are there frequently
We almost pulled the trigger on a 3 BR condo in the village last year. We did the math and with some winter rental calculated in, the math worked....until....
50%...yes 50% management fee for the rental...WTF

That killed the math....
I grew up in Mammoth and Bishop. Our family still owns a small cabin off of Old Mammoth Rd. I prefer Tahoe if that is any help at all. Main fact is we live in Nv. Nevada side of Tahoe is pretty hard to beat.

gmnhra

Reaction score
I grew up in Mammoth and Bishop. Our family still owns a small cabin off of Old Mammoth Rd. I prefer Tahoe if that is any help at all. Main fact is we live in Nv. Nevada side of Tahoe is pretty hard to beat.
We are going to do some Tahoe recon next month...
High school buddy is still CEO of Mammoth and another friend family (Vogels) built all sorts of stuff in Mammoth over the past 30 years....

Nevada...no state income tax....YES.....