WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Teryx vs Rhino vs RZR / RZR S

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Almost bought a RZRs a few months back but after looking at them up close I decided to stay with my Teryx and just add long travel. I had a chance to actually drive an RZRs off road a couple of weeks back and all I can say is I’m glad I stayed with the Teryx.

The stock RZRs is a little faster than a stock Teryx but with my 840 kit the only RZR’s I’ll be seeing will be in my rear view mirror or dust cloud…….:D:D

I will say the RZRs is a very cute machine.:)

your crazy! bring it on! :D go spend 10 grand and we'll go out and spend 300 bux on a tuner and be right back out in front again :fingers: :D

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
i just saw a monster edition in person today. i agree peel the stickers, do good seatbelts and put a cage on it. if we had kids or cared more about hauling stuff all the time then i'da got a teryx for sure. have fun can't wait to tear up the parker desert :D

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
The RZRs has a longer wheel base and is wider than the Teryx and the Rhino.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The RZRs has a longer wheel base and is wider than the Teryx and the Rhino.

Before I bought this thing yesterday I called my guys that'd know, and asked them which of the 3 is the money.

they said to buy it and drive it, the RZR-S.. The RZR-S is a mid travel car, and the die hards end up long travelling them anyways.

Then they said if you ever have plans to long travel it, and even 1/2 way do anything to it.. The Teryx is "The Hotness" for right now but other things are rumored to be coming to market this year.

I did the math, by the time I buy the RZR-S, You can damn near buy a Teryx and long travel it.

I just wanted to goto circle K and occasionally putt around with some friends.. I'm already regretting buying this fuckin exhaust dealio.. Apparently you can't just buy that and be good. You have to buy this, and heat shield that, and a host of other fuckin bullshit everybody neglected to mention when I bought it.

don't even have the fuckin thing yet, and I already have to take it back apart, to fix this heat shield problem, and spend another 450.00 on an MSD deal.

RD

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Before I bought this thing yesterday I called my guys that'd know, and asked them which of the 3 is the money.

they said to buy it and drive it, the RZR-S.. The RZR-S is a mid travel car, and the die hards end up long travelling them anyways.

Then they said if you ever have plans to long travel it, and even 1/2 way do anything to it.. The Teryx is "The Hotness" for right now but other things are rumored to be coming to market this year.

I did the math, by the time I buy the RZR-S, You can damn near buy a Teryx and long travel it.

I just wanted to goto circle K and occasionally putt around with some friends.. I'm already regretting buying this fuckin exhaust dealio.. Apparently you can't just buy that and be good. You have to buy this, and heat shield that, and a host of other fuckin bullshit everybody neglected to mention when I bought it.

don't even have the fuckin thing yet, and I already have to take it back apart, to fix this heat shield problem, and spend another 450.00 on an MSD deal.

RD

I agree. The s has a better suspension than a stock vehicle but real long travel on any of them is better.

Price, well you can't beat the price of the other two in comparison and you can do a Teryx and long travel for the same price or close to it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I agree. The s has a better suspension than a stock vehicle but real long travel on any of them is better.

Price, well you can't beat the price of the other two in comparison and you can do a Teryx and long travel for the same price or close to it.

I doubt we'll long travel this thing.. :D Until Stacy has to chew on dirt for awhile, then she'll say solve the problem.

RD

Reaction score
go spend 10 grand and we'll go out and spend 300 bux on a tuner and be right back out in front again :fingers: :D

That’s focking hilarious. Thanks I needed a good laugh today.:lmao

sean

Reaction score
dave, your on the right track with what your doing and will be very happy once you get the exhuast and tune done.
rzr-s guys, really? i mean c'mon. there's always someone faster and look at any desert race you wont see many rzr's.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
After the first couple a trips you'll wants some good seats.
The first time you see a wadded stock cage you'll be buying a new one.
Then, wheels. (Cindy picked those on ours)
The Muzzys...I got them too.
Mine is carbed, so had to get the jet kit and air cleaner kit.
Oh, and the Dalton clutch kit w/overdrive plate.
I got tired of no tunes. Was just gonna put in a deck and call it good.
Got the component speakers in, and decided we needed an amp, cause the 6x9's in the back just were not singing.
Then, I stuck an Optima in there cause the stock battery is junk.
Oh, and a front bumper that matches the new trick cage.

Bottom line, pound for pound this thing is the biggest money pit I have ever owned.
I want a better ride in the sand so I don't spill my water.
As soon as the bug sells, we are going long travel.
Once the long travel is in, I am sure we will need more power, so a FST 840 kit will come around in 2011, methinks.
Just a word to the wise, brother.:D

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Are you fuckin kiddin me?

PM me your #.

RD

this is what I was thing when we spoke today. If your doing an exhaust....better be do the computer work as well. AND do a Dasa Billet airbox kit as well ! Sucking sand is bad MmmmmmK!

sean

Reaction score
tob, did you ever finish your rex? i saw the thread you started on trex forums but dont think i saw the finished car.
dave, one thing i forgot to mention is clutch work. if this is just a cruiser you should be ok but if ya get into the high rpm's for long periods of time its a good idea to do the od plate and spring kit. again, not needed if just runnin out to desert bar and around the keys. there are so many things you can do but drive it a bit first to see what changes you want to make:thumbsup

TOBTEK

Reaction score
tob, did you ever finish your rex? i saw the thread you started on trex forums but dont think i saw the finished car.
dave, one thing i forgot to mention is clutch work. if this is just a cruiser you should be ok but if ya get into the high rpm's for long periods of time its a good idea to do the od plate and spring kit. again, not needed if just runnin out to desert bar and around the keys. there are so many things you can do but drive it a bit first to see what changes you want to make:thumbsup

Just a few hours of going over the car..and its 100%. Been pulled in five different ways time wisefor so long now. I'll post up some pics soon. Im 50/50 on selling the car! The $$$ would be nice, but the car is realllly BAD ASS!

sean

Reaction score
h i hear ya. had a black cloud over me and i hope its going away lol. i am starting to see some end to these projects coming so thats good. i look forward to seeing your car!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
this is what I was thing when we spoke today. If your doing an exhaust....better be do the computer work as well. AND do a Dasa Billet airbox kit as well ! Sucking sand is bad MmmmmmK!

Billet airbox? I didn't see it on their site..

I'm not sure why anyone would want an air box.. I think just putting a filter on with a sock is the way to go. so long as the exhaust is someone away from it. If not, then putting a shield between the two and same program?

RD

sean

Reaction score
dave, it's a billet ring that makes a positive seal between the filter and plenum. the factory seal between the filter and plenum is junk and you will sand an engine runnin in the parker dirt. if your that bent on messing with the box just open the back up a bit. guys are running 840cc with air box's and no problems with air starvation.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
dave, it's a billet ring that makes a positive seal between the filter and plenum. the factory seal between the filter and plenum is junk and you will sand an engine runnin in the parker dirt. if your that bent on messing with the box just open the back up a bit. guys are running 840cc with air box's and no problems with air starvation.

YEAH....what he said! :) Ya hear Dasa has done a 1000 stroker Teryx. Does 90mph! No THANK YOU! My stocker is just fine ;)

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
YEAH....what he said! :) Ya hear Dasa has done a 1000 stroker Teryx. Does 90mph! No THANK YOU! My stocker is just fine ;)

Stocker? You're calling your t-rex a stocker? HAHAHAHA NOTHING you own remains a stocker. :p

sean

Reaction score
steve at dasa said the 1000 is a runnin mofo. when this engine is had they should have all the tweeks out and i'll make the leap. i can only imagine how that 1000 would be in a dragonfire nessy:D

TOBTEK

Reaction score
steve at dasa said the 1000 is a runnin mofo. when this engine is had they should have all the tweeks out and i'll make the leap. i can only imagine how that 1000 would be in a dragonfire nessy:D

is 90 What you heard as well ? Thats NUTS in a SXS! Would be fun Not to tell your buddies what ya did and walk on them :)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Our next purchase will be from the next generation of SxS's to hit the scene.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
So I just spent some time with a RZR S over the weekend at Rasor Road.
It's fast, but holy chit...it rides pretty tough. And its definitely not a super drifting machine, way too squirelly.

The stablity of a +6 long travel, compared to the RZR setup, makes a big difference.

I thnk my expectations for a bone-stock machine were too high.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I just spent some time with a RZR S over the weekend at Rasor Road.
It's fast, but holy chit...it rides pretty tough. And its definitely not a super drifting machine, way too squirelly.

The stablity of a +6 long travel, compared to the RZR setup, makes a big difference.

I thnk my expectations for a bone-stock machine were too high.

I thought the RZR "S" rode pretty smooth for it being stock.. It's just a mid travel car to start with.

Can't say I didn't tell ya so, on the drifting dealio.. They slide a bit, and then they want to swap ends on ya unless your quick with the steering.

RD

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
i must disagree. with the suspension properly set up and lots of seat time(bought new and i have 2200 miles in 120hours since september), you can drift, do donuts, jump, and whatever else you desire with ease. its a quad with a steering wheel. i drove pauls last weekend and thought i was going to kill myself until he let me dial his suspension in for him. totally different machine afterwards. i'm not saying a good aftermarket long travel is not better. i'd love to upgrade but i'd rather do a turbo weber motor first. :D

Last edited:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
rzr-s guys, really? i mean c'mon. there's always someone faster and look at any desert race you wont see many rzr's.

why pay all that money? its a race every time us rzr-s owners go out! build your "car" and come over! :D

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
btw there is quite a few rzr's running races. a simple google search and you can see for yourselfs

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
look at any desert race you wont see many rzr's.

looks like the ones that do win :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The team of Mark Lindsay, Phil Holdsworth and Michael King won the UTV class of the Baja 500 on June 1, a 500-mile race that begins and ends in Ensenada, Mexico.

Their modified Polaris Ranger RZR is the first side-by-side to ever finish the historic race. After being the last vehicle to start, Lindsay’s team raced the sole Ranger RZR entry in the field to the finish line in 19 hours, 49 minutes and 30 seconds.

Thirty-three miles into the race, the challenge of a loose, rocky incline brought the vehicles in front of Lindsay to a stand-still. When it was finally his turn, he blew through the obstacle with ease.

“Being the first side-by-side to finish and win the Baja 500 UTV Class is a true testament to the quality and ability of the Ranger RZR,” says Craig Scanlon, product line sales manager for the Polaris Side x Side division. “We congratulate Mark Lindsay and his team for continuing to show the Ranger RZR can dominate even in the most extreme conditions.”

Attachments

• rzr_baja500.jpg
    rzr_baja500.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
you are correct :thumbsup

That's pretty cool... :D

The Dude says Razors are "cute." :D

You sound like me when it comes to Schiada's man.. Gotta watch that shit or next thing ya know you'll be photochopped with pom pom's etc. .

RD

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
The RANGER RZR added a few more notches to its belt taking first and second in the King of the Hammers Side-by-Side race and topping the UTV Class at WORCS Round 2, in Adelanto, Calif. The Side-by-Side continues to show its versatility and durability in any racing terrain.

Mitch Guthrie took the King of the Hammers Side-by-Side race, at Johnson Valley OHV Area, in his modified RANGER RZR with Polaris Racers, Jagged X, taking second. The King of the Hammers was a 48-mile race that combined the technical aspects of rock crawling with the challenges of desert racing.

Mark Holz and his RANGER RZR got the holeshot and never looked back winning WORCS Round 2, at Race Town 395 raceway, in Adelanto, Calif. The RANGER RZR ate up the course, which was a combination of motocross and desert, showing it can conquer anything thrown at it. WORCS Defending Side-by-Side champion Doug Eichner, took third overall with his RANGER RZR S. The next WORCS UTV race is March 27-29, in Lake Havasu, Arizona.

Attachments

• polaris-racing.jpg
    polaris-racing.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 273

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
That's pretty cool... :D

The Dude says Razors are "cute." :D

You sound like me when it comes to Schiada's man.. Gotta watch that shit or next thing ya know you'll be photochopped with pom pom's etc. .

RD

lol. i would be proud to hold the pom pom for the gayzor. some say they don't race, well i'm just proving that they do :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

RD

That was classic when WW rolled in with The Van at catalina...:D:thumbsup:champagne:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
The Polaris RANGER RZR proved its grit
, dependability and incredible staying power in the desert this past
weekend when it was the only side-by-side to finish the grueling 567
miles of the Best in the Desert's Series "Vegas to Reno" race. The
RANGER RZR was built and piloted by Jagged X and finished the race in
just over 21 hours
"The RZR continues to show its awesome combination of power,
performance, and reliability whether on the trail or the track," said
Craig Scanlon, product line sales manager for the Polaris Side x Side
Division. "Polaris could not be more proud of the passion, preparation
and dedication of our partners at Jagged X. We would like to thank
them for helping us reach this milestone in RANGER RZR racing
history."
The Best in the Desert's "Vegas to Reno" race is the longest off-road
race in the United States encompassing 567 miles. Defeating the
desert's punishing 105 degree temperatures, deep silt, rocks, and
rutted Nevada moonscape, the RANGER RZR out-ran and out-lasted ten
other starters.
"This finish brings credibility to The UTV class and proves the
Polaris RZR as a great off road performance machine," said Bill
Schueler, owner of Jagged X. "Jagged X is proud to represent Polaris
and would like to thank all who helped with our racing program. Desert
racing is one of the most demanding motorsports on both equipment and
drivers. We are proud of our crew and can't wait for the next race."
Jagged X's four-man team included Brandon Schueler, Justin Schueler,
Bill Schueler and Blake Van De Loo. This win rockets the Jagged X Team
into a leadership position of the Best in the Desert Racing series.
The team was sponsored by Jagged X, Polaris, Cart Wheelin Magazine, CR
Designs, Mountain States Contracting,Vision X Lighting, OMF
Performance, Jet Trim Seats, DJ Safety, C.E.M. and MTA .
About Jagged X
Jagged X is a family owned business located in Phoenix Arizona. Formed
in 2003 from a passion for off road vehicles, Jagged X quickly became
a pioneer in the custom side by side segment and is known for bringing
their customers quality and innovation with their own brand of style.
In 2007 Jagged X formed an aftermarket partnership with Polaris
industries with the introduction of the exciting new RZR. They
continue to lead the pack in the development of exciting products for
the RZR such as long travel suspension, billet and tubular
accessories.
About Polaris
With annual 2006 sales of $1.7 Billion, Polaris designs, engineers,
manufactures and markets snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs),
Victory motorcycles and the Polaris RANGER for recreational and
utility use.
Polaris is a recognized leader in the snowmobile industry;
and one of the largest manufacturers of ATVs in the world. Victory
motorcycles, established in 1998 and representing the first all-new
American-made motorcycle from a major company in nearly 60 years, are
rapidly making impressive in-roads into the motorcycle cruiser
marketplace. Polaris also enhances the riding experience with a
complete line of Pure Polaris apparel, accessories and parts,
available at Polaris dealerships.
Polaris Industries Inc. trades on the New York Stock
Exchange under the symbol "PII," and the Company is included in the
S&P Small-Cap 600 stock price index.
Information about the complete line of Polaris products,
apparel and vehicle accessories is available from authorized Polaris
dealers or anytime from the Polaris homepage at
www.polarisindustries.com.

Attachments

• rzrbitd1.jpg
    rzrbitd1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 318

pronstar

Reaction score
I thought the RZR "S" rode pretty smooth for it being stock.. It's just a mid travel car to start with.

Can't say I didn't tell ya so, on the drifting dealio.. They slide a bit, and then they want to swap ends on ya unless your quick with the steering.

RD

It was WAAY smoother than, say, a stock Rhino, that's for sure. And it wasn't bad, just not a good as I thought it would be. I've been in long travel Rhinos for quite some time, and I guess I just expected more suspension compliance.

Mitch Guthrie took the King of the Hammers Side-by-Side race, at Johnson Valley OHV Area, in his modified RANGER RZR with Polaris Racers, Jagged X, taking second.

A modified race RZR has little in common with the consumer model. I've seen 10-second Dodge Neons...doesn't mean I wan to buy one.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
A modified race RZR has little in common with the consumer model.

exactly! most compare race modified teryxs and rhinos to a stock rzr-s. that was my point, but i guess thats what one has to do to compare. i will take my consumer model rzr-s and line up with any comparable modded (including 820,840,turbo)rhino or teryx. i ran with a heavily modded turbo rhino and the guy was amazed that he just couldn't keep up on the trails. you may beat me over 62mph on the street but you will have a problem when we are in the desert. and i'm not talking all suspension either. :D does anyone know if anyone can prerun for say the parker 425? if so i will go and all the haters can come out and show me up. (if your "cars" are done and they don't blow up!):skull

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
exactly! most compare race modified teryxs and rhinos to a stock rzr-s. that was my point, but i guess thats what one has to do to compare. i will take my consumer model rzr-s and line up with any comparable modded (including 820,840,turbo)rhino or teryx. i ran with a heavily modded turbo rhino and the guy was amazed that he just couldn't keep up on the trails. you may beat me over 62mph on the street but you will have a problem when we are in the desert. and i'm not talking all suspension either. :D does anyone know if anyone can prerun for say the parker 425? if so i will go and all the haters can come out and show me up. (if your "cars" are done and they don't blow up!):skull

Take it easy Sally. It may run good but its still too small and looks gay as hell. ;):skull

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Take it easy Sally. It may run good but its still too small and looks gay as hell. ;):skull

lmao! at the end of the day all that matters is that your happy with what you have. and we all know that i'm happy :D

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Going from a LT Rhino to a RZRs, I have to say, I would never go back to a Rhino. I'm just saying.

Brian is a testimate to how they hold up. He has over 2k miles in under a year on it. We ride full bore through the desert, usually just past our talent level, lol. I guess some videos are in order. It's funny when we ride with someone new. They are usually busy exploring, we are usually trying to simulate a miniature trophy truck. The best is at night, going down trails inches off each other trying to run the other guy over. There is no time to look at the scenery, it's all about how hard you can push your machine without putting it on it's roof.

None of them are bullet proof. Two Rhino guys I know lost motors this year. One lost it twice. I've broken a spindle and have seen three other broken spindles on Rhinos. That wasn't including Wes's demolition of his front end, these are just ones I've seen in person.

On to the Teryx. The first carbed models have known motor issues. Seen three of them puking oil into the air box at high rpm. Usually once they start the oil burning the motor is junk.

I haven't seen a modified Rhino yet that was faster than a rzrs. I haven't seen a Teryx yet with a 820 or 840 that's faster yet either. Can some of them run raster than the stock 64mph a rzrs can do? Maybe, but they are only a program away from running mid 70's. The midrange of the Polaris 800HO is incredible. That's why you buy it. Hell mine will spin the tires on a dirt road above 40mph. The power band just doesn't have any flat spots in it. That's stock with stock exhaust and a stock intake.

Brian's right, we are talking stock to stock anyhow. If you're gonna compare a big bore lt Teryx to a rzrs, than compare it to a rzrs with a turbo and a plus 10 LT.

Everyone is so brand loyal, lol. Of course your brand is the best..............why else would you have bought it????? I will sell mine tomorrow if something better comes out, I don't care who makes it. How long until Can-Am puts out a SXS that crushes everything else on the market? Until then, today's flavor of the month is the rzrs.;)

riverratmike

Reaction score
well my vote goes for the Yamaha Rhino, had friends that have had Polaris/Kawi/Artic Cat and I've seen problems with them. I have a 2006 Rhino SE660 I bought new and it has been bullet proof. Right at 4000 miles 280hrs of off-roading and not one problem with it. I don't think the other manufactures can touch that. Just my .02

riverratmike

Reaction score
---------

Attachments

• brokeback-poster.jpg
    brokeback-poster.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 398

pronstar

Reaction score
Going from a LT Rhino to a RZRs, I have to say, I would never go back to a Rhino. I'm just saying.

I haven't seen a modified Rhino yet that was faster than a rzrs. I haven't seen a Teryx yet with a 820 or 840 that's faster yet either. Can some of them run raster than the stock 64mph a rzrs can do? Maybe, but they are only a program away from running mid 70's. The midrange of the Polaris 800HO is incredible. That's why you buy it. Hell mine will spin the tires on a dirt road above 40mph. The power band just doesn't have any flat spots in it. That's stock with stock exhaust and a stock intake.

Once you get out of the closet, it's tough to get back into it :skull

The RZR S power was really nice. The acceleration is effortless, really impressive.

Out of the box, it's great. Even the suspension - out of the box - is probably the best out there.

Last edited:

screaming pete

Reaction score
Looks just like this one.. They are taking all the stickers off of it right now, and putting the Muzzy exhaust on it. :)

I'll take some pictures of the actual unit on Sat / Sunday when I pick it up. :)

RD

dave why did you get this model for the 2 extra resavior shocks or something else?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
dave why did you get this model for the 2 extra resavior shocks or something else?

It just looked better then the 2010 models (IMO), since it was a 2009 I got a pretty good deal on it. The upgraded shocks are cool, but I'd imagine down the road it'll get a long travel kit so that's neither here nor there.

The reason I picked the Teryx over everything is nothing more then I called some buddies that work in the Side x side industry. I asked them what's the best starting platform for a fun desert toy, assuming your going to long travel it down the road. 3 out of 3 said Teryx hands down. Financially it makes sense as well.

Teryx is about 10-11K.. The RZR-S (I didn't actually quote them) should be around 14K.. I can buy the Teryx, and long travel it for less money then the Razor, and according to the experts have a more competent offroad vehicle. Whether or not that's true remains to be seen.. but it sounds good in theory. 14K = mid travel RZR-S, 14K = Long Travel Teryx.

RD

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
It just looked better then the 2010 models (IMO), since it was a 2009 I got a pretty good deal on it. The upgraded shocks are cool, but I'd imagine down the road it'll get a long travel kit so that's neither here nor there.

The reason I picked the Teryx over everything is nothing more then I called some buddies that work in the Side x side industry. I asked them what's the best starting platform for a fun desert toy, assuming your going to long travel it down the road. 3 out of 3 said Teryx hands down. Financially it makes sense as well.

Teryx is about 10-11K.. The RZR-S (I didn't actually quote them) should be around 14K.. I can buy the Teryx, and long travel it for less money then the Razor, and according to the experts have a more competent offroad vehicle. Whether or not that's true remains to be seen.. but it sounds good in theory. 14K = mid travel RZR-S, 14K = Long Travel Teryx.

RD

Plus the Terex has more room for a large ice chest than the RZR. Thats the most important part IMO. :thumbsup:D

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
you keep saying mid travel suspension but in reality there is only like an inch difference in the rzr-s vs an out of the box lt teryx. you will definately get better shocks with an aftermarket kit vs the fox podium 2.0's on the rzr and that will be a huge difference. correct me if i'm wrong but i was told that any more than 14in of travel on a teryx and you will have cv binding issues unless you do custom fab work. i've said it a million times that if we saw kids anytime in our future then i'da been all over a teryx. you can't beat the room and the performance possibilities.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
you can get almost 16" with out a CV issue on a T-rex.