WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

That might be all for the Slash X Barstow Poker Run

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg

Mullet Jim and I did the Barstow Poker run this weekend.
It's 2 different 25 mile courses.

The Fees collected were distributed to various charities in the area.
Talking to the head of the run he told us that the BLM imposed a "Recovery Fee" of $8.900.00 and that put the charity in the red so this is the last poker run.

The Rock Crawlers were accessed a $10.000.00 BLM recovery fee BTW.

BLM points the finger at the Lucern Valley incident, so it's mass punishment for all.

In addition the Poker Run wasn't drawing the crowd it used to. Donated prizes didn't attract anyones interest along with a few other factors and the whole event ran out of enthusiasm from the volunteers and participants.

Trying to get participants amp'd up on the strength of "it's for a good cause" just wasn't cutting it.
Yeah it is for a good cause, but ya still have to roll out good prizes from my experiences running charities.

All the volunteers were crest fallen, less than 200 people signed up, the storm damaged some of the marker signs/arrows that didn't get replaced,, not a good run this year.

Shame, I'd guess I've done over half the runs since it was from Barstow to Big Bear and it used to be a great weekend.
Sorry to see it fade away.
Once ya stop something like this it has to be hard as hell to get it organized and going again.

Time was the BLM enthusiastically encouraged these vents. No more.

75270014.jpg

grumpy88

Reaction score
Bummer . My step daughter and I participated in this once a few years ago . It was poorly advertised and and we ended up camped a long way from slash x cafe . We got up and found slash x cafe and the employe at the cafe had no idea the ride was even going on . We had a great ride and it was well organized after that . Great day . My step daughter had a great hand and was a sure top 5 prize winner . Even at 16 she didn't feel like sticking around for a prize worthy of a garage sale . We had a great day and made some good memories . Sorry the poker run fell apart .

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Bummer . My step daughter and I participated in this once a few years ago . It was poorly advertised and and we ended up camped a long way from slash x cafe . We got up and found slash x cafe and the employe at the cafe had no idea the ride was even going on . We had a great ride and it was well organized after that . Great day . My step daughter had a great hand and was a sure top 5 prize winner . Even at 16 she didn't feel like sticking around for a prize worthy of a garage sale . We had a great day and made some good memories . Sorry the poker run fell apart .

Well, in spite of all the doom and gloom the organizers told us the Poker run is back on this year:

http://www.barstowpokerrun.com/index info.html

The BLM fee was lowered to $3475.00
I don't see them covering that,, but I'm full of shit about everything else.

I don't think our off group will run it because it was so poorly organized the past few events.
I came in 2nd and got a t shirt and a pixi stick.

I've run charities,, and because it's a charity is no excuse for a shitty event.
Ya gotta be on your game and offer a decent set of prizes.

Look at charity golf events.
They are well aware ya have to put on the dog to get a good turnout.
Look at it as bait.

I've attended the BLM meetings in Barstow.
The BLM is just a bunch of fat guys surfing on their laptops half listening to the meeting.
Their minds are made up and only lawsuits put a fire under their ass.

Their are some dedicated off roaders that spend some serious time, travel some serious distances dealing with all this.
I try and support them any way I can.