WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Outboard Church

GETBOATS

Reaction score
I don?t understand why they would mess with fuel, every racer knows the first thing they do when you hit the trailer is toss the probe in the tank.
DIDN'T TOUCH THE FUEL, RIGHT FROM THE PUMP IN PAKERS TERIBLE

GETBOATS

Reaction score
WON IT FAIR AND SQAURE, ITS UP TO ROSS TO MAKE IT RIGHT. NO MODS, EXCEPT SIMON FLASH, MOTOR HAS 15 HOURS ON IT, RAN PUMP GAS, 7/8 BELOW, LOWER DOES NOT LIKE BEING ANY HIGHER, WEIGHED 1710 WITH 15 GALLONS OF FUEL LEFT. IF I WAS GOING TO CHEAT, YOU THINK I'D START WITH A TANK OF A BOAT AND AN ENGINE NONE OF YOU WOULD CHOSE? UNTIL NOW? SORRY IF I SOUND IRITATED, DROVE IT ALONE WITH TREMENDOUS SUPPORT FROM FAMILY AND EMPLOYEES, HAD A GREAT TIME. OH, ONE "MAN" IN THE BUILDING.........STEVE LINDER. I'LL LET HIM TELL YOU WHAT HE SAID TO THE AWARD ATTENDEE'S

pixrthis

Reaction score
WON IT FAIR AND SQAURE, ITS UP TO ROSS TO MAKE IT RIGHT. NO MODS, EXCEPT SIMON FLASH, MOTOR HAS 15 HOURS ON IT, RAN PUMP GAS, 7/8 BELOW, LOWER DOES NOT LIKE BEING ANY HIGHER, WEIGHED 1710 WITH 15 GALLONS OF FUEL LEFT. IF I WAS GOING TO CHEAT, YOU THINK I'D START WITH A TANK OF A BOAT AND AN ENGINE NONE OF YOU WOULD CHOSE? UNTIL NOW? SORRY IF I SOUND IRITATED, DROVE IT ALONE WITH TREMENDOUS SUPPORT FROM FAMILY AND EMPLOYEES, HAD A GREAT TIME. OH, ONE "MAN" IN THE BUILDING.........STEVE LINDER. I'LL LET HIM TELL YOU WHAT HE SAID TO THE AWARD ATTENDEE'S

John it was nice pitting next to you and meeting your family. Your race prep and program is impressive to say the least, hope to see you next year. Sean

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo !

Attachments

• IMG_6725.jpg
    IMG_6725.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 135

SKIA36

Reaction score
#48 1st overall and 1st Div VI

#312 2nd overall and 2nd div VI with the "Little Bitch" 280 Diamond Edition

#307 6th overall and 3rd Div VI( Threw a blade during leg 2)

Attachments

• 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 312.jpg
    312.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 307.jpg
    307.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 125

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
PUMP GAS AS THE RULES STATE RIGHT FROM TERIBLES IN PARKER

So, did they offer to test your fuel pre race and you declined? Or is that a rumor?

Were there different tests for premix and straight gas?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Not the first time a winner has been stripped of his victory under Ross. [emoji1418]. Same old shit.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Someone should go get a sample from parker oil. If it matches what?s in the tank then its not his fault.

Not exactly.

A, he claims to have bought the fuel from Terrible's.

B, The Digatron is a quick, simple, and fairly inaccurate test that uses a round about way to arrive at a conclusion...like most quick and easy tests. There are a whole lot of variables that can cause a false positive or negative...but it's a test, so it's what is used. Ethanol does a lot of things that gasoline doesn't under different conditions, and depending on what actually came out of the pump and what specific measurement are taken with the test device...how the fuel was stored throughout the day may very well cause a failing test result on an otherwise good fuel.

See...here's the thing about cheating, especially in a race like this where one is pulling an ironman for a 4 hour + beating... if you're gonna cheat, you're gonna do it right. Good cheaters don't get caught, and bad cheaters don't win races. The fuel testing is literally highlighted in RED in the rules addendum. If one is going to choose an area in which to cheat...I can bet good money that they'll take advantage of an area of the rules that are not HIGHLIGHTED IN RED!. There is no doubt in my mind that there was straight up pump gas in the tank....problem is, based on the ethanol content of that pump gas, and depending on whether or not the probe was properly calibrated in a non-contaminated cyclohexane calibration sample before testing began Saturday afternoon, the results could very well have little to do with what was in the tank.

Unfortunately for Hadden, the rule was written very cut and dry...."Any reading of greater than +1 on the digatron...". If the sample failed, it failed, end of discussion. If the rules had stated what qualities the fuel need to meet in order to arrive above or below a +1 on the digetron, then things could have been argued and tested in a different manner to arrive at a proper conclusion...be it pass or fail...but the resourses are not in place for such complex testing. All this does is set the stage for racers to buy their own digatron and learn how to either pass it or beat it, and learn under what conditons it will fail a good, un-tampered fuel sample.

The only recourse here is the understanding that cheating generally involves intent to gain an unfair advantage, which I don't believe was present here. The only thing that MAY have been present here was ignorance to the test parameters, ignorance that was present on our team too, and I imagine several others...(we figured "pump gas" = that which we put in our truck before we tow home)...as we sourced our fuel from the same pump, but ended up breaking and ending up on the trailer early.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Someone should go get a sample from parker oil. If it matches what?s in the tank then its not his fault.

I have half a tank left in my truck from terribles in Parker 87 Octane.

That was my first time there definitely a test of equipment. I thought 54 would clearly be the winner when I left after both boats we went to watch were out with mechanical issues.

pixrthis

Reaction score
The outboard tech guy, Troy, offered to test my fuel prior to the race and explained that certain premix oil would undoubtedly read higher than the rules permitted. He said he would adjust the scale as necessary if a baseline was determined before the race and said he would not adjust after. He offered to test fuel multiple times while teching my boat which I would of done if I had a chance of winning.
We pitted next to John this weekend and I'd bet money he didn't prep as well as he did and knowingly use a fuel that wouldn't pass in the end. My biggest question is why do we test fuel or weigh boats in a class called " unlimited outboard"?

GETBOATS

Reaction score
First of all, its a privilege to compete in such a prestigious event. I know my team left with memories that will last years. For those of you that haven't seen the rules, here they are.

A. SINGLE ENGINE OUTBOARDS

1. ENGINES: a. Naturally aspirated only. No nitrous oxide & must use pump gas with oil mix only. No fuel additives allowed. b. Green engines allowed but must remain as delivered from the engine manufacturer. The only engine modifications allowed are as follows: ECU reflash & air horn mod, no port or head work allowed. Must run the Stock tuner with 20 inch factory mid section. Aftermarket steering attachments are permitted . c. 2.5 Liter motors maybe modified however, are limited to 32cc w/gaskets and 37cc for ?O? ring type heads. 2. LOWER UNITS: a. Green lower units must remain as delivered from the manufacturer & shall run the propeller shaft no higher than ?? below the last 3? of the running surface. The prop shaft must be parallel to the running surface at the time of measurement. b. Non green lower units may be modified but must be a V6/8 style. No XR6 style units allowed. Shaft height limited to 1? below the last 3? of the running surface. c. All lower units must have a working forward, neutral, & reverse from the driver?s seat.

3. HULL: a. Minimum length 17? 9? Mod VP, or V bottom style hull with an open cockpit. No true tunnels or capsules allowed. b. Dry Weight: 2.5 Liter minimum dry weight 1500 lbs., 3.0 Liter minimum dry weight 1875 bs, 3.2 Liter minimum dry weight 1980 lbs.

for the above start with a. Naturally aspirated only. No nitrous oxide & must use pump gas with oil mix only. No fuel additives allowed. no problem there right, our engine is a 4 stroke, does not use oil in the mix and we certainly use pump gas, 91 from terribles purchased 10/27/17 5:15 pm.

now on to the addendum: there is more, but here is complaint,

DIV. IV-A. SINGLE ENGINE OUTBOARDS
1. ENGINES: a. Naturally aspirated only. No nitrous oxide & must use pump gas with oil mix only. No fuel additives allowed. All fuel oil mix is subject to a digitron reading of 0 or below. A reading of +1 or above is deemed illegal and is subject to disqualification. Tech Inspector will be available on Friday from 1:00 pm until driver?s meeting to check fuel and again from 7:30 am to start of the Enduro on Saturday morning.

First, a division VI entry could easily bypass this portion of the addendum, you see is addressed to Div. IV (4)

additionally it again states, ( No nitrous oxide & must use pump gas with oil mix only. No fuel additives allowed.) pump gas with oil mix only is speaking directly to the 2-stroke guys. we run a 4-stroke and again we used straight pump gas. At this point, why would anyone think they might be creating a DQ for themselves.

while the fuel conversation was taking place in tech after the race, they weighed us, 1710 lbs with 15 gallons of fuel, 95 lbs over the 1500 minimum. while the boat was in the slings inspector measured our prop shaft depth, told him the same thing I told him the day before in pre-race tech he'd get 7/8 below, knowing we were 3/8 deeper that we had to be, I declined his measument on Friday in per-race inspection. Inspector reported to me we were not deep enough, sure we are we can be 1/2 below and we are 7/8, he argued we needed to be 1 inch. Chief inspector now thought he has 2 strikes against us and considered it a closed case, 30 minutes later, original inspector came to me the apologize and stated he was wrong and that in fact we were legal at 7/8 below and the rule stated minimum depth was 1/2". At this point we headed back over to Ross to make him aware of the measuring mistake. He got his rules out, after some reading and realizing we were a four stroke entry "all this time he must have thought we were 2- stroke" and came to the correct conclusion green engines could be at a minimum of 1/2" below. back to the fuel issue, I again offered to Ross, lets go to terribles pump a gallon from the same pump and meter it, It will show I have not added anything to the fuel.

sad day in boat racing or any racing, that you can't go to your local fuel station and fill your boat and truck up without fear of disqualification for illegal fuels.

our team was flawless all day and yes we have been robed of the title.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Not the first time a winner has been stripped of his victory under Ross. [emoji1418]. Same old shit.

totally understand the need to control fuels, but come on, a little bit of logic and common sense. As a promoter, when a poorly written rule causes such a conversation, find a way to fix right then and there. you can bet it will be re-written and probably already has been.

At the time in the middle of trying to re-capture my ability to walk upright, lol, I suggested to Ross, we go to every one of my competitors and ask them "should we DQ 147 for a glitch in the rules?" I ran a clean race and have the utmost respect for all of them, I'm confident, none would have said sure DQ him.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
So, did they offer to test your fuel pre race and you declined? Or is that a rumor?

Were there different tests for premix and straight gas?

no one has seen that, very astute, it would be easy to conclude no test was needed for straight gas

Reactions: F14

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Would it help if all the fuel on every team was mandatorily tested prior to the race and then tested after to see if it?s the same fuel? Wouldn?t that eliminate any one being DQ?d after the race for fuel?

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Answer the first question.

From my reading of his posts, there was ample time and opportunity to have your fuel tested pre race, both on Friday evening and Saturday morning. It seems as though he did not partake in the pre race test, as he assumed straight pump gas would pass. Appears he didn?t take the opportunity to verify his fuel was ?legal? pre race.

I know in my experience racing personal watercraft at the Pro level, we always tested our fuel at every opportunity. Fuel is always a concern in racing, especially when you get into different levels of higher octane ?race? gas... VP, Sunoco, etc. Part of the reason for pre testing is to know if your fuel, and the additives you may or may not put in, are good to go for the race.

I think this can be chalked up as a lesson learned. Every fuel supplier has their own additive package that may directly affect test results. Terrible?s pump fuel may fail, while a Shell or BP/ARCO will pass.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Dlow, with 20/20 hindsite, sure, but Did not see the need to measure depth as I've done that a dozen times, as for fuel, fits the rule " must use pump gas with oil mix only. No fuel additives allowed."
and "All fuel oil mix is subject to a digitron reading" clearly talking to the 2-strokes, the author of this addition in the addendum verifies he had not intention of including the 4-stroke entries.

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
Boing!!

Attachments

• IMG_6766.jpg
    IMG_6766.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_6764.jpg
    IMG_6764.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 188

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
John,

From what I know now, you should have the "King of the River" title.

"Parker Drama" as I call it, is alive and well...

Don't let it discourage you. The racers know who hauls ass and who doesn't.

The promoters mean well, despite these results. Hopefully, they make a correction and give you the win and the plastic trophy. EITHER WAY, we know how the race went down. You and your team layed it down out there. :thumbsup

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Dlow, with 20/20 hindsite, sure, but Did not see the need to measure depth as I've done that a dozen times, as for fuel, fits the rule " must use pump gas with oil mix only. No fuel additives allowed."
and "All fuel oil mix is subject to a digitron reading" clearly talking to the 2-strokes, the author of this addition in the addendum verifies he had not intention of including the 4-stroke entries.

I do understand. Hindsight is a mother. It sucks things went down the way they did, and you should have the win. We all know that. The interesting thing is that many organizations require mandatory fuel testing before the race, not just after. It is a blanket way to protect the integrity of the race, something that was obviously damaged with your results. Hopefully things are made better for the future. It is an interesting scenario when the winner is crowned from the pits, but it happens. The F1 championship was won by Hamilton over the weekend after having one of his worst races of the season. It happens.

vwlure

Reaction score
So, I have been on here for a couple of years as a reader, not as a contributor.

I'm on the crew for the #147 team & I also have worked for John Haddon since 1989. I have known John and his family for so long, I know him VERY well more than most do.

On here there has been speculations mentioned that he/team cheated for the win. This is the FURTHEST thing from the truth, he is HONEST TO A FAULT!

When he himself rebuilt his Sleekcraft many years ago, he was then contacted about getting back into race the Parker Enduo 5 years ago. Before committing, the rules were the first thing he looked at, to insure his boat met specs. (Many may not know, but he raced the Enduro back in the 80?s)

I can tell you, there wasn't ANY CHEATING going on @ #147! In fact, when we were told after the race about the fuel, we as a team were there for 2.5+ hours with the officials explaining there was no funny business going on.

At the awards, I really wish Ross would have stated the facts about why he DQ?d #147. (Talk about the elephant in the room.) If this had been done, all these speculations wouldn?t be here. Then other boaters would have been educated for the future, as I?m sure others could fall victim to the same test in the future of using straight up pump gas.

David

hallett21

Reaction score
Was there a reason you couldn't scan the computer of the engine? Wouldn't modified fuel need the timing messed with to see any performance?

If that were the case it would be a DQ. If all that was messed with was the redline then that would show no?

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Was there a reason you couldn't scan the computer of the engine? We recorded all sensor input and computer function for the complete race. scan was available at any time

Wouldn't modified fuel need the timing messed with to see any performance? fuel was not modified, and yes I would assume many changes would necessary to compensate

To make the win even sweeter, its Yamaha's 300 program with only the rev limited moved to 7 grand:thumbsup

hallett21

Reaction score
Illegal fuel is illegal fuel!

I guess my point was it's a more thorough test to scan the motor than use a tool to test fuel that may need to be calibrated. Someone said they were considering adjusting the parameters based on pre race tests.

Obviously a carbd boat wouldn't be able to test that way.

Either way I'm just a spectator but I've never seen a race that has so many fluid results and drama.

RPM RACING

Reaction score
It is without question that John Haddon and the #147 team ran a flawless race and should be commended for his effort, however the rules addendum clearly states:
1. ENGINES:
a. Naturally aspirated only. No nitrous oxide & must use pump gas with oil
mix only. No fuel additives allowed. All fuel oil mix is subject to a digitron
reading of 0 or below. A reading of +1 or above is deemed illegal and is
subject to disqualification. Tech Inspector will be available on Friday from
1:00 pm until driver?s meeting to check fuel and again from 7:30 am to start
of the Enduro on Saturday morning.

Now onto the facts:
1.) John was offered to have his fuel tested by the Chief Inspector on Friday along with his safety inspection and he declined to have his fuel checked. He also had every available right to ask for a fuel test prior to the start of the race which he did not ask for.
2.) Every other outboard was also offered to check fuel prior to the race and according to the Chief Inspector a vast majority accepted and had the inspector check.
3.) No other outboard that was checked at post race inspection after the Enduro failed the fuel rule other than John.

Now if we are getting accused of something it should be of following the rules. John's fatal flaw was declining the offer of test as a +53 would have been caught and would have given him enough time to get it fixed. We cannot force a "check" prior to the race, we can only offer it.

I am very sorry to have to had dq'd John as it gave us no pleasure to take the win away from him after such a great race but if we would have looked the other way on the fuel rule we would have lost all credibility with the rest of the field as the rules are there for everyone not just to pick and choose which ones we follow.

If anyone wishes to discuss this further, I can be reached at (310) 318-4012 or [email protected]

Ross Wallach
RPM RACING ENTERPRISES

milkmoney

Reaction score
Ross, can u change the rule to check fuel before race ?
Reason asked, is if in fact u buy fuel at terribles or xyz or abc, and u go run the whole race and then get checked and it doesn't pass, seems a waste.

Also , what is the possibility of racers having to buy fuel at trackside/ pit only, this way everyone uses the same fuel ,whether it's good or bad , if u will.

I have no dog in this fight , jus have enjoyed the race over the years is all
[emoji202]

RPM RACING

Reaction score
Milkmoney,
In the 39 years I've been involved in racing I have never been "forced" to test fuel prior to the race. I have been offered to test and sometimes not even offered, meaning it was up to me to make sure my stuff was legal on my own. I can only offer a "tech" inspection prior to the race as the ownus is always on the driver/team to make sure their equipment, including fuel is legal. The only thing that is mandatory is a "safety" inspection. I made sure that the inspector would have his digitron, scale and straight edge at the ready and offered it to all participants that want to be "teched" as well, and again a vast majority of the race teams accepted and had the inspector "tech" in addition to their safety inspection.

Next, the problem with a "spec" fuel of the day is that many of the teams set their engines up with their own fuel bought where they live. Theoretically we could have a spec fuel of the day but I believe most teams would object to this. The Chief Inspector felt this was the best way to deter cheating with "hot fuel" and while I don't dispute John buying fuel from Terrible's in Parker it was up to him as it was up to all to make sure their fuel was legal.

We can always do away with the fuel rule completely but then the race teams will build their engines to a much higher hp which will change the playing field and parity in the division will go away.

Sincerely,

Ross Wallach
RPM RACING ENTERPRISES

outboardrick

Reaction score
It is without question that John Haddon and the #147 team ran a flawless race and should be commended for his effort, however the rules addendum clearly states:
1. ENGINES:

Now onto the facts:
1.) John was offered to have his fuel tested by the Chief Inspector on Friday along with his safety inspection and he declined to have his fuel checked. He also had every available right to ask for a fuel test prior to the start of the race which he did not ask for.
2.) Every other outboard was also offered to check fuel prior to the race and according to the Chief Inspector a vast majority accepted and had the inspector check.
3.) No other outboard that was checked at post race inspection after the Enduro failed the fuel rule other than John.

Now if we are getting accused of something it should be of following the rules. John's fatal flaw was declining the offer of test as a +53 would have been caught and would have given him enough time to get it fixed. We cannot force a "check" prior to the race, we can only offer it.

I am very sorry to have to had dq'd John as it gave us no pleasure to take the win away from him after such a great race but if we would have looked the other way on the fuel rule we would have lost all credibility with the rest of the field as the rules are there for everyone not just to pick and choose which ones we follow.

If anyone wishes to discuss this further, I can be reached at (310) 318-4012 or [email protected]

Ross Wallach
RPM RACING ENTERPRISES

Ross,
Thank you for clearing this up, I knew it had to be something you didn't want to do but everyone has to abide by the rules. It really is a shame that this happened and I'm sure that no one intentionally tried to get away with anything, just a very hard "live and learn" experience.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
1. ENGINES:

Now onto the facts:

Ross Wallach
RPM RACING ENTERPRISES
As an outside observer here, I understand the need to test fuels and such for compliance to the rules. However in this case, what would have been the harm in checking into the claim yourself (or a subordinate for that matter) about the fuel coming straight from Terrible's pump? I just see that as a promoter of an event that aims at getting more amateurs into the sport, being able to verify and clarify the term "pump gas" should be EXTREMELY important.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
All fuel oil mix is subject to a digitron
reading of 0 or below.

As an outsider, this sentence as presented is open to confusion. This where I would base an argument. He did not have a fuel oil mix in his boat. He had "pump gas" out of a local fuel station only in his boat.

Just as it is a learning experience for him, it could also be a learning experience for the event and this wording should be changed.

RPM RACING

Reaction score
There is no harm to do what you are asking however, it just isn't done. An inspectors job is to inspect at the race site not drive to a location after the fact, pay for fuel and then test it. Again, in 39 years in racing I've never heard of it and it's not just boat racing that I've never heard or seen what you're asking in all forms of motorsports racing I've never heard of such a thing. It seems some feel that the Inspection staff should do the work of the racer to make sure they are in compliance. The ownus in racing is always on the racer to make sure his/her equipment is legal, it is NOT the inspectors job to force them into compliance. Was this a tragic mistake on the part of #147 team, yes, does it make it no less hard to take, of course. Everyone can sympathize with John but it still doesn't negate the fact that his fuel was +53 when the rule specifically states "0 or below" to be considered legal.

The rules/addendum are there for EVERYONE and unfortunately, EVERYONE besides one team complied with the rules. You don't build a boat/motor to your own rules then complain when the rules that govern the race don't fit what you built. You build a boat/motor and comply with the rules set out by the promoting body not vice versa. If reading the rules and following them is too much to ask from an amateur or new racer I really don't quite know what to do to fix this.

Again, my hat's off to John, he's a great racer and he ran a near flawless race. Neither I nor my staff nor the racers think John cheated, unfortunately he didn't comply with the rule governing legal fuel but the rules were there to be complied with by the racer and enforced by my staff.

Ross Wallach
RPM RACING ENTERPRISES

RPM RACING

Reaction score
ductape,
The reason the rule was clarified was that the original rule only said ENGINES: a. Naturally aspirated only. No nitrous oxide & must use pump gas with oil mix only. No fuel additives allowed. and one of the Div 6 racers contacted me approx a month before the race and indicated the he wanted a clarification as to what defines "pump gas" which lead to a whole discussion among the rules committee and Chief Inspector to clarify what could be deemed "pump gas" as the racer who brought up the question was concerned that in previous years many teams were running "race gas" and while it's true you can purchase "race gas" from some pumps (VP has it at their pumps, etc.) that wasn't the intention of the rule so a clarification was made and added to the addendum whereby "All fuel oil mix is subject to a digitron reading of 0 or below. A reading of +1 or above is deemed illegal and is subject to disqualification. Tech Inspector will be available on Friday from 1:00 pm until driver?s meeting to check fuel and again from 7:30 am to startof the Enduro on Saturday morning"

I don't understand the debate on this rule especially since the person in question was verbally asked by the Chief Inspector if he wanted his fuel checked as were all other outboard race teams.

Ross Wallach
RPM RACING ENTEPRISES

vwlure

Reaction score
Ross...per your rules/words:
"All fuel oil mix is subject to a digitron reading of 0 or below. A reading of +1 or above is deemed illegal and is subject to disqualification. Tech Inspector will be available on Friday from 1:00 pm until driver?s meeting to check fuel and again from 7:30 am to startof the Enduro on Saturday morning"

We have a Yamaha 4-stroke motor & is DOESN'T mix oil & gas.
It runs on straight gas, as it's a "green motor"
Therefor no testing was need.

David

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
ductape,
The reason the rule was clarified was that the original rule only said ENGINES: a. Naturally aspirated only. No nitrous oxide & must use pump gas with oil mix only. No fuel additives allowed. and one of the Div 6 racers contacted me approx a month before the race and indicated the he wanted a clarification as to what defines "pump gas" which lead to a whole discussion among the rules committee and Chief Inspector to clarify what could be deemed "pump gas" as the racer who brought up the question was concerned that in previous years many teams were running "race gas" and while it's true you can purchase "race gas" from some pumps (VP has it at their pumps, etc.) that wasn't the intention of the rule so a clarification was made and added to the addendum whereby "All fuel oil mix is subject to a digitron reading of 0 or below. A reading of +1 or above is deemed illegal and is subject to disqualification. Tech Inspector will be available on Friday from 1:00 pm until driver?s meeting to check fuel and again from 7:30 am to startof the Enduro on Saturday morning"

I don't understand the debate on this rule especially since the person in question was verbally asked by the Chief Inspector if he wanted his fuel checked as were all other outboard race teams.

Ross Wallach
RPM RACING ENTEPRISES

The confusion of the wording comes from the words "oil mix". If you don't have an oil mix, where is it specified that your fuel falls under this spec. I'm not trying to be argumentive, I'm just pointing out a point of confusion. You may want to look at that reading "All fuel is subject to..." It would make it a bit more clear to any future 4-stroke participants.

Just trying to inject an outside set of eyes. [emoji106]

GETBOATS

Reaction score
It was a very confusing 2 hours on Saturday, first the fuel, I bad assumption pump gas was legal as the rules stated, then the engine height.

First off, Division VI has many moving parts with 3 of 4 different power plants entered. Each having there own rule specifications. Your inspectors didn't know engine height for a green entry and didn't pause when I insisted we were legal at 1/2" below and just look at the rules. He did an hour later, admit his mistake and come to me with an apology. Great! If you recall Ross, we had a chance to sit and discuss again my teams DQ status, I wanted to clear up the engine height rule and reestablish our compliance with that rule. You, like your inspector, didn't have a grasp on your own rules and argued we were to high, insisting 1/2" was for a green entry. We are a 4-stroke Yamaha 3 star green entry, you finally agreed 1/2" was legal for us, but not after a whole lot of talking to get to the truth.

Also, during our chat at the cantina, we spoke again about our bad fortune with regard the fuel requirement rule, you were quick to point out the rule was not your idea and that your didn't write it. Why was it there is you didn't approve of it. Have the rules gotten out of hand?

I get it, its a huge undertaking and one than does not likely produce a whole lot of income for your company. I know all of us appreciate what you do, we have the river to ourselves for a day.

To the "Own it part" Ross, your rules are not clear and cumbersome in division VI for your staff and competitors. We should not have proof read them.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There is no harm to do what you are asking however, it just isn't done. An inspectors job is to inspect at the race site not drive to a location after the fact, pay for fuel and then test it. Again, in 39 years in racing I've never heard of it and it's not just boat racing that I've never heard or seen what you're asking in all forms of motorsports racing I've never heard of such a thing. It seems some feel that the Inspection staff should do the work of the racer to make sure they are in compliance. The ownus in racing is always on the racer to make sure his/her equipment is legal, it is NOT the inspectors job to force them into compliance. Was this a tragic mistake on the part of #147 team, yes, does it make it no less hard to take, of course. Everyone can sympathize with John but it still doesn't negate the fact that his fuel was +53 when the rule specifically states "0 or below" to be considered legal.

The rules/addendum are there for EVERYONE and unfortunately, EVERYONE besides one team complied with the rules. You don't build a boat/motor to your own rules then complain when the rules that govern the race don't fit what you built. You build a boat/motor and comply with the rules set out by the promoting body not vice versa. If reading the rules and following them is too much to ask from an amateur or new racer I really don't quite know what to do to fix this.

Again, my hat's off to John, he's a great racer and he ran a near flawless race. Neither I nor my staff nor the racers think John cheated, unfortunately he didn't comply with the rule governing legal fuel but the rules were there to be complied with by the racer and enforced by my staff.

Ross Wallach
RPM RACING ENTERPRISES
Ross...per your rules/words:
"All fuel oil mix is subject to a digitron reading of 0 or below. A reading of +1 or above is deemed illegal and is subject to disqualification. Tech Inspector will be available on Friday from 1:00 pm until driver?s meeting to check fuel and again from 7:30 am to startof the Enduro on Saturday morning"

We have a Yamaha 4-stroke motor & is DOESN'T mix oil & gas.
It runs on straight gas, as it's a "green motor"
Therefor no testing was need.

David
Precisely why an exception should habe been made in this instance. Nobody believed them to have cheated but due to a last minute(relatively), poorly written rule the obvious winner and consecous non-cheater was DQ'ed. I believe you should own the fact that you had a poorly written rule and should have done due diligence to verify the disqualification.

Btw, the rule should probably be worded "All fuel and fuel/oil mixture is subject...."

milkmoney

Reaction score
Precisely why one an election should habe been made in this instance. Nobody believed them to habe cheated but due to a last minute(relatively), poorly written rule the obvious winner and consecous non-cheater was DQ'ed. I believe you should own the fact that you had a portly written rule and should have done due diligence to verify the disqualification.

Btw, the rule should probably be worded "All fuel and fuel/oil mixture is subject...."
Great post [emoji106] [emoji202]

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
We leave Friday!!:champagne:

We will be running the Church , even though we're traveling...stay tuned for Key West, Ft. Lauderdale boat show , AND Lake Lanier !! BOOM!!

Attachments

• IMG_6776.jpg
    IMG_6776.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 168