WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer brake redo

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
When I got home from he lake last weekend, I noticed that my rear trailer wheels (brake axles) had grease all over the wheels. The brakes had gotten engaged, not locked, but dragging enough to get them so hot that it boiled out the grease, and had worn down the right side tire. Now, I needed new tires anyhow due to them cracking, so I wasn't too bummed about that aspect of the problem. Since I got he boat, the actuator coupler has not worked properly. The reverse lockout solenoid has never worked, and it always clunks etc... I ended up having to use a manual lockout key to be able to back it up my driveway. So I ended up ordering a whole new in UFP inner member. I upgraded from the A-60 to the X-84. I like the latch mech better. Once I removed the old inner member, I could tell just how hammered it really was. The wire for he reverse lockout was pinched with bare wire contacting metal, so no wonder it didn't work.
Installing the new setup was super easy. I took the barring buddies off to check the bearings, and it had only boiled out a small amount luckily, and everything was tight, and packed nicely. So I left it, and pumped a few pumps of grease in. I then spent about two hours bleeding the crap out I the brakes. The calipers are no longer hanging up, and I can be confident that my bearings or brakes won't hurt me this summer, and rolling nicely on new tires.

Old
IMG_2414.jpg IMG_2415.jpg

New
IMG_2417.jpg IMG_2418.jpg

bocco

Reaction score
I'm surprised that you weren't blowing fuses every time you put it in reverse.