WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Want to purchase a Lavey Craft

Powermizer

Reaction score
Want to purchase a new boat. Have to have a open bow for the wife. I really like the sabre, but because of price probably going for used 26 NuEra. Just want to know from someone who has owned one or driven one how the boat handles side waves, and how it handles in general. Max safe speed. Things like that. I have read all the reviews and a couple said that side waves seem to effect this boat more than normal V's and makes it fall off its riding stance. Whatever that means. Just curious if it handles washing machine water like at Lake Powell? Thanks in advance for any info.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
The laveys over 24ft are drivers boats. It' not just get in and push the stick fwd like most other boats. I don't care for the lines on the 26. If I was buying I'd be looking at 2750s.

Powermizer

Reaction score
After owning a old Daytona I said I never wanted to go back to a V. I guess it's time to start saving my money. I do like the sabre for the money. Anyone have any experience in a sabre. Good or bad?

Powermizer

Reaction score
Ya I was looking at it. Anyone have any experience with the sabre Or the 26 NuEra? If the 26 is a drivers boat, does that mean at all speeds?

boatnam2

Reaction score
After owning a old Daytona I said I never wanted to go back to a V. I guess it's time to start saving my money. I do like the sabre for the money. Anyone have any experience in a sabre. Good or bad?

Andy01

Reaction score
Sabre is a solid boat, they were expensive so there are not a lot on the market used. The 26 Nuera is not a bad boat. It is taller than the 2750 and can have drop out bolsters as a option. I ran one a couple of times a few years back. Was a sold boat, if you are looking to run fast then tabs would be a must up in the 70's or 80's. That said if you are going to run in the 60's it is a great handling and good riding Havasu boat.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Didnt think think the 26 is so much a drivers boat, sabre is a solid ride, little harder to roll over then a few other cats i been in , but acceleration 40-100 is amazing.

Andy01

Reaction score
It should be mentioned, not just Lavey. Regardless of manufacturer all step bottom V hulls should be taken serious in turns or evasive maneuvers.

Get415

Reaction score
I do love the sabre as well but have no actually input for either that or the 26. I can tell you from personal experience that Lavey builds an OUTSTANDING boat. My 29 Lavey is mostly a Havasu boat. That statement about "driver boat" is accurate. Not ill handling whatsoever, they just require a little driver input here and there. When I had it in the ocean i was amazed at how it handled big water.

mswasey

Reaction score
I own a 26 NuEra closed bow with a 500EFI and I love the boat. It’s a big 26 and handles Lake Powell with ease. When carving up through the twisty canyons at Powell, you do have to drive it as it wants to cavitate pretty easily. No issues at all with handling in the open bays even with rough water. I personally would not hesitate to own another Lavey!

boatnam2

Reaction score
You want a solid sabre, let me know, it will have a rebuilt teague 800 with platinum drive both with zero hours. Think i had enough of the go-fast game, should run 105-106 mph.

Powermizer

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies. Obviously I haven't been in either boat, so all of this info helps a lot. I have a 8 to 11 hour drive to get my hands on one. I just finished building a 540 for a 22 Daytona I bought. Scares my wife bad. She wants a bigger boat with a open bow. I have never been a huge fan of open bows, but they are starting to grow on me. Dang I am getting old.

Powermizer

Reaction score
You want a solid sabre, let me know, it will have a rebuilt teague 800 with platinum drive both with zero hours. Think i had enough of the go-fast game, should run 105-106 mph.
Is the engine done now, or are you doing it?

boatnam2

Reaction score
Is the engine done now, or are you doing it?
Yea at teague now but it will be awhile until done.
Screenshot_20171118-190652.png

Powermizer

Reaction score
To bad I didn't catch you sooner. I would love to find one that needs a engine since I have mine that I just built. Wife is beating me up about money.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies. Obviously I haven't been in either boat, so all of this info helps a lot. I have a 8 to 11 hour drive to get my hands on one. I just finished building a 540 for a 22 Daytona I bought. Scares my wife bad. She wants a bigger boat with a open bow. I have never been a huge fan of open bows, but they are starting to grow on me. Dang I am getting old.
I can tell you this.
The Saber isn't the boat if you're looking for the big top end number.
They're a bit heavy. Because they're built like a brick shithouse.
They are solid.
You can beat on it, it's not going to flex or bend. About the opposite of a potato chip as it gets.

I don't know how much you've looked into their construction, but they are a full innerliner boat. Deck and liner are one mold.
I think you posted in the current 24 thread.
Did you notice what was going on there?
The Laveys (with the 29 being the exception) are all assembled in the mold.
They come out of the mold as a boat.
Did I mention they're solid? ;)

boatnam2

Reaction score
Pretty happy with boat, motor and drive lived almost 15 years, hopefully get another 15 out of her, i will be 70 should be ready for a pontoon by then.

lavey jr

Reaction score
Want to purchase a new boat. Have to have a open bow for the wife. I really like the sabre, but because of price probably going for used 26 NuEra. Just want to know from someone who has owned one or driven one how the boat handles side waves, and how it handles in general. Max safe speed. Things like that. I have read all the reviews and a couple said that side waves seem to effect this boat more than normal V's and makes it fall off its riding stance. Whatever that means. Just curious if it handles washing machine water like at Lake Powell? Thanks in advance for any info.

The term "drivers boat" doesn't come to mind when I think of the 26 NuEra, (and I've driven every Lavey model many times). With the 2750 NuEra, maybe, I can see where that is true. When some say "drivers boat" it's usually backed up with little detail or explanation as to what they mean with that specific model. I can go on a whim and claim that every boat is a drivers boat because all boats need a driver... The 26 NuEra is by no means as fast as most 26' boats power for power, but keep in mind the 26 NuEra is actually 27' overall. When Lavey built their 26 NuEra, it was never designed to be the speed demon of their models. It was designed to be a solid overall performer. The sides are fairly tall, cockpit is deep and the under deck is sized nicely. When I think of the 26 NuEra I think of a performance speed boat that is also an amazing cruiser and just an overall well rounded boat. The fastest I've ever driven a 26 nuEra is 85mph and that was a fully accessorized mid cabin open bow with a Mercury 600, fully loaded with gear and 4 people.

As for the 27 Sabre - it is also 27'overall. The integrated swim step is small due to the fact when Lavey designed the boat, they wanted to have a built in swim step that would accommodate twin outboards. With an I/O package many people would opt for the additional billet swim platforms. When it comes to handling, it handles great. Their top speed is right there with most 27' cats and it also handles the rough water very well as long as you stay on top of the chop. I've driven many different packages in the 27 Sabre. Walk through open bow with Merc 496ho 75mph, mid cabin Ilmor 625 85mph, closed bow Ilmor 710 100mph, mid cabin Merc 525 82mph, and many more. They all perform very well.

The biggest thing in common between the two boats - they are built exactly the same. When I say that I mean in all aspects. The attention to detail and quality is the same, lamination is the same, and literally everything about the two boats are built to the exact same caliber. With the lamination aspect, they will be as strong and solid as one of the Lavey offshore race boats and even their big 39 EVO. They are extremely solid and they will always stand behind their product. If you have a question about anything I can guarantee you that if you call the shop and talk to Chris he will spend as much time as you need to answer all your questions or even help you out to teach you exactly how to drive the boat and show you every detail about it.

Powermizer

Reaction score
I can tell you this.
The Saber isn't the boat if you're looking for the big top end number.
They're a bit heavy. Because they're built like a brick shithouse.
They are solid.
You can beat on it, it's not going to flex or bend. About the opposite of a potato chip as it gets.

I don't know how much you've looked into their construction, but they are a full innerliner boat. Deck and liner are one mold.
I think you posted in the current 24 thread.
Did you notice what was going on there?
The Laveys (with the 29 being the exception) are all assembled in the mold.
They come out of the mold as a boat.
Did I mention they're solid? ;)
I have been looking at their boats for awhile now. I feel like they are a well built boat. I really don't care about max speed. I just want a fun reliable boat.

Powermizer

Reaction score
The term "drivers boat" doesn't come to mind when I think of the 26 NuEra, (and I've driven every Lavey model many times). With the 2750 NuEra, maybe, I can see where that is true. When some say "drivers boat" it's usually backed up with little detail or explanation as to what they mean with that specific model. I can go on a whim and claim that every boat is a drivers boat because all boats need a driver... The 26 NuEra is by no means as fast as most 26' boats power for power, but keep in mind the 26 NuEra is actually 27' overall. When Lavey built their 26 NuEra, it was never designed to be the speed demon of their models. It was designed to be a solid overall performer. The sides are fairly tall, cockpit is deep and the under deck is sized nicely. When I think of the 26 NuEra I think of a performance speed boat that is also an amazing cruiser and just an overall well rounded boat. The fastest I've ever driven a 26 nuEra is 85mph and that was a fully accessorized mid cabin open bow with a Mercury 600, fully loaded with gear and 4 people.

As for the 27 Sabre - it is also 27'overall. The integrated swim step is small due to the fact when Lavey designed the boat, they wanted to have a built in swim step that would accommodate twin outboards. With an I/O package many people would opt for the additional billet swim platforms. When it comes to handling, it handles great. Their top speed is right there with most 27' cats and it also handles the rough water very well as long as you stay on top of the chop. I've driven any different packages in the 27 Sabre. Walk through open bow with Merc 496ho 75mph, mid cabin Ilmor 625 85mph, closed bow Ilmor 710 100mph, mid cabin Merc 525 82mph, and many more. They all perform very well.

The biggest thing in common between the two boats - they are built exactly the same. When I say that I mean in all aspects. The attention to detail and quality is the same, lamination is the same, and literally everything about the two boats are built to the exact same caliber. With the lamination aspect, they will be as strong and solid as one of the Lavey offshore race boats and even their big 39 EVO. They are extremely solid and they will always stand behind their product. If you have a question about anything I can guarantee you that if you call the shop and talk to Chris he will spend as much time as you need to answer all your questions or even help you out to teach you exactly how to drive the boat and show you every detail about it.
Thank you for chiming in on this. When you say built the same, do you mean that all the 26 NuEra's are vacuum bagged too?

lavey jr

Reaction score
Thank you for chiming in on this. When you say built the same, do you mean that all the 26 NuEra's are vacuum bagged too?

Sorry I missed that detail. Vacuum bagging is an option on all their 26' and bellow boats.

Performance Grips

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of boats and one of which was a 27 saber. That was probably the best boat bang for the buck that I've owned. I've owned a 25 Daytona, 29 DCB, and a 29 Eticket to compare it to. It rides great, handles great, excelerates great. It's built solid, vacuum bagged. . I agree if your looking for a big top number it's not great for that. Mine had 700hp ran 95 on a good day. If you run 800 hp in that boat it'll run 105 and get there fast and be super reliable. Very fun and well built boat. Good luck in your search.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I've had 5 high performance/quality boats made by 4 companies. The first 3 boats were good. But my last 2 builds were bullet proof and awesome. Both LAVEYCRAFT!

Powermizer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. It's nice to have the support.

Powermizer

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of boats and one of which was a 27 saber. That was probably the best boat bang for the buck that I've owned. I've owned a 25 Daytona, 29 DCB, and a 29 Eticket to compare it to. It rides great, handles great, excelerates great. It's built solid, vacuum bagged. . I agree if your looking for a big top number it's not great for that. Mine had 700hp ran 95 on a good day. If you run 800 hp in that boat it'll run 105 and get there fast and be super reliable. Very fun and well built boat. Good luck in your search.
Could you please tell me your thoughts on the ride in snotty water, between the Sabre and 25 Daytona? Thanks

Performance Grips

Reaction score
Could you please tell me your thoughts on the ride in snotty water, between the Sabre and 25 Daytona? Thanks
The Saber handled the big chop much better than my 25 daytona. It also turned better. The only negative was It would porpoise a little at around 65 but you could power through it.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I have a 24' NuEra now and been wanting to move to a bigger cat or deck. I just recently started looking at Sabre's but hearing the feedback on this thread makes me think I should look at them more seriously. I have been very happy with my Lavey the last couple years

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I really enjoyed my 29 and am sure the 26 is just as nice for Havasu

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Dave Stehles Sabre is badass.

Its basically got the same gel job as the boat in the above pict.

He isn't even done propping it and got 116 out of a bone stock 34

UD

IMG_4854 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Powermizer

Reaction score
Your boat is beautiful. Thanks for showing it. Very nice!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Your boat is beautiful. Thanks for showing it. Very nice!
You know, it might be a good idea to call Lavey and leave your name and number.

It isn't at all uncommon for current owners to let their MFG know their boat is for sale.
Often before it hits adds.
Just a suggestion. ;)

Powermizer

Reaction score
I am starting to like the Sabre more and more, but I'm starting to think I might need a second job before I get to serious. Unless I can find one that needs work that someone really doesn't want to put the money in to. I saw a blue flamed one that a guy had the open bow done in 2010 and had a whippet on it, and the last price I saw was $49,000. I think it was in May of this year. I probably could have talked my wife into that one since it was a walk through open bow. I called Chris today and he said it would be about 8,000 to do a walk through on a closed bow.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I don't know what your budget is, but you can buy a brand new Nordic Rage 25 or a Hallett 255 starting in the low 80's with a 8.2l ho. Both of those are by far the most popular wtob boats you can buy. Just a thought.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I am starting to like the Sabre more and more, but I'm starting to think I might need a second job before I get to serious. Unless I can find one that needs work that someone really doesn't want to put the money in to. I saw a blue flamed one that a guy had the open bow done in 2010 and had a whippet on it, and the last price I saw was $49,000. I think it was in May of this year. I probably could have talked my wife into that one since it was a walk through open bow. I called Chris today and he said it would be about 8,000 to do a walk through on a closed bow.
Nice talking to you today Powermizer, call you tomorrow.

Powermizer

Reaction score
Thanks, nice talking to you too. Looking forward to our next conversation. There are some very nice people on this forum.