WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wayne's engines rebuild

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Had a referral to have my 502 re built at Wayne's in riverside. Any seconds to that or disagreements?

welldigger00

Reaction score
They are the walmart of engine rebuilding. There is nothing performance or racing application related about them. They sell very generic engines for a very cheap price.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
They are the walmart of engine rebuilding. There is nothing performance or racing application related about them. They sell very generic engines for a very cheap price.

So whose target? lol. Or any solid recommendations.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I read about; "fresh heads, good compression readings, ran good for a while, then oil leaks and rough running" .

How do you know it's blown up, were more tests (leak down?) done ?

Do you know WHY the oil is not returning back to the oil pan ?

When you backfire a Holley carb, the power valve (s) may be damaged and cause, rough idle, poor top RPMs, Gasoline odor, and dilution of the engine oil .

You may also have a leaking mechanical fuel pump, that is dumping raw fuel into the oil and filling the crankcase .

Just a few thoughts as I await your reply .

P.S. have an 'A' frame in Havasu that removes motors easily ............

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I read about; "fresh heads, good compression readings, ran good for a while, then oil leaks and rough running" .

How do you know it's blown up, were more tests (leak down?) done ?

Do you know WHY the oil is not returning back to the oil pan ?

When you backfire a Holley carb, the power valve (s) may be damaged and cause, rough idle, poor top RPMs, Gasoline odor, and dilution of the engine oil .

You may also have a leaking mechanical fuel pump, that is dumping raw fuel into the oil and filling the crankcase .

Just a few thoughts as I await your reply .

P.S. have an 'A' frame in Havasu that removes motors easily ............

Had compression when I picked it up from having the heads done. That being said the compression readings were all over the place 130-180. When I was running it I had a loss of power. Took it back and one cylinder has zero compression, something whacked the end of the spark plug and the top of that piston is marred up. Seems like a ring let go.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
There are several peeps on this board more than qualified to do your motorwork.

Better to pay once and have no headaches.

Boat motors are finicky animals, and take a little more time to prep than a motor in a car, if you don't want issues.

B&D marine, Obnoxious are two peeps that immediately come to my mind. I think Rivermobster is still doing motors as well.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
There is nothing like hitting the key at the ramp and nothing happening, or being out on the lake, with a broke prop turner and coming home on a rope.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
There is nothing like hitting the key at the ramp and nothing happening, or being out on the lake, with a broke prop turner and coming home on a rope.

No doubt!! I do my best to do all I can to avoid that. Sometimes it's just out of your control.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
There are several peeps on this board more than qualified to do your motorwork.

Better to pay once and have no headaches.

Boat motors are finicky animals, and take a little more time to prep than a motor in a car, if you don't want issues.

B&D marine, Obnoxious are two peeps that immediately come to my mind. I think Rivermobster is still doing motors as well.

Brian

I don't think Rivermobster builds any engines, he was working at JMS where they machined and built engines, but pretty sure he primarily worked on putting engines in and out of vehicles. Joe can correct me if I am wrong. Brian is very good, and in So Cal, I am out in Parker, but my primary focus is building the engines, rather than removing and installing them in the boats. Thanks for thinking of me!

Barry. Obnoxious Racing

Thanks for thinking of me!

73mandella

Reaction score
In case you can't find anything in Riverside, you can try Advanced Racing Engines in Bellflower. Heath races GN369 and builds engines for several other boats. Heath built my father-in-law's engine. He asked for about 600hp and wound up with 643hp for his 19' Eliminator Sprint. Heath also did some work on my Chevy after the distributor gear destroyed itself. He suggested a new cam for the rebuild and I wound up with an additional 44hp (I now have 583hp in flat bottom).

IMG_2846.jpg IMG_5008.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Barry is correct...

JMS Racing was the machine shop I worked for at the time. I'm now at Rett's Automotive in Irwindale.

Barry is a Very competent engine builder. I don't know of anyone more meticulous than him!

[emoji106]