WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

what's your oil preference

_kq_

Reaction score
Just curious on what kind of oil some of you are running in your boats and your thought and opinions on it, the reason I ask is because the guy I recently bought a boat from was running straight 30 weight valvoline and I'm not sure if I want to continue that. I don't know everything about oil, but running a 10/30 or 10/40 sounds better for the motor than straight 30. Constructive criticism welcome!

I'm running a stock bbc 454 in a jet boat with 380hr on it

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
In my V10 Viper mill Mobil 1 0W-40. Because Ilmor says so.

Not sure what Alexis going to recommend on my new 588.

IN case it comes up - Napa Gold , and Wix.

UD

HST4ME

Reaction score
Just curious on what kind of oil some of you are running in your boats and your thought and opinions on it, the reason I ask is because the guy I recently bought a boat from was running straight 30 weight valvoline and I'm not sure if I want to continue that. I don't know everything about oil, but running a 10/30 or 10/40 sounds better for the motor than straight 30. Constructive criticism welcome!

I'm running a stock bbc 454 in a jet boat with 380hr on it

stay with straight 30w

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Curious to hear the rationale on running a straight grade oil.

KQ - If you want to learn about oil a tremendous resource is called "bob is the oil guy/"

They have a good oil 101 class thats mostly right.

They have tribologists and factories weigh in from time to time.

UD

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Not into straight weight either. 20/50 is what I would run.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
You're fine with a straight 30wt. Unless you're running in really cold temps the straight 30 will be fine.

I'm guessing you're not running an oil cooler on the jet boat? Really weird dynamics on jets with cool river water on an open loop system but hot motor oil. I've ran straight wt's in my jet boats for years with no issues.

Stick with what the previous owner ran for 300+ hours.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Delo 400, 15W40
Higher zinc content than most.
Higher shear than most.

Dan'l

oldschool

Reaction score
Valvoline VR1 40 wt. TT 565 c.i. v drive

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Currently boat is running Lucas sae (non synthetic) high zinc 10-40. After this season it will be switched over to full synthetic Lucas 20-50 high zinc.

Motor is brand new and first 10 hours ran Lucas break in oil. First season non synthetic, and will run synthetic from there on out.

With today's oil technology.....there is NO reason not to run a multi viscosity oil. Running straight weight oils is not the best route. Many engine manufacturers are now going to 0w- multi viscosity oils.

In the boat it was common to run "diesel" oils due to having higher zinc levels. But many oil manufacturers offer high zinc products that will perform better in a marine application.

BUSTI

Reaction score
Currently boat is running Lucas sae (non synthetic) high zinc 10-40. After this season it will be switched over to full synthetic Lucas 20-50 high zinc.

Motor is brand new and first 10 hours ran Lucas break in oil. First season non synthetic, and will run synthetic from there on out.

What is beneficial about running the non synthetic the first season? With the break in oil for the first couple of heat cycles the rings should have seated already.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Brian at B&D said that's what he wanted so that's what I did. Lol. It's his motor and his warranty.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I have Lucas in everything now. I know a guy that has a cousin......:D

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

With today's oil technology.....there is NO reason not to run a multi viscosity oil. Running straight weight oils is not the best route. Many engine manufacturers are now going to 0w- multi viscosity oils.

In the boat it was common to run "diesel" oils due to having higher zinc levels. But many oil manufacturers offer high zinc products that will perform better in a marine application.

0WXX oil is recommended by manufacturers for emissions and efficiency, there is no other reason. We are not really worried about either of those in a boat application.

For custom built or high HP engines you should not run 0Wanything in a car or a boat. I'd say stay away from 5Wanything as well personally.

I run Amsoil 15W40 in my stock 6.2 Merc. I may go Lucas next year.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
0WXX oil is recommended by manufacturers for emissions and efficiency, there is no other reason. We are not really worried about either of those in a boat application.

For custom built or high HP engines you should not run 0Wanything in a car or a boat. I'd say stay away from 5Wanything as well personally.

I run Amsoil 15W40 in my stock 6.2 Merc. I may go Lucas next year.

Illmore is running quite a few 0w- specs on their line of motors.

Last time I was at Morgan Lucas racing. They were talking. About how everything they are doing now is with 0w oils. You will see it becoming more and more prevalent in high horsepower applications ;)

Mind you this is info from people way way way above my pay grade and knowledge level when it comes to oil. Half the time when they're talking to me I just nod my head and act like I understand what they're telling me. LOL

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
It's virtually impossible to recommend what weight oil to use with out knowing what the rod and main bearing clearances are. Bill is running the weight and oil type I recommended because of the bearing clearances I set up. The petroleum oil for the first season is to give the rings lots of run time to seat before switching to synthetic.
A stock 454 in a jet, to be safe, I would run 15W-40. It could be a stock GM automotive crate engine. In that case the clearances will be a little tighter and the 15W-40 would still be ok.
The Lucas 10W-40 that Bill is running would be a great choice.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
In my V10 Viper mill Mobil 1 0W-40. Because Ilmor says so.

Not sure what Alexis going to recommend on my new 588.

IN case it comes up - Napa Gold , and Wix.

UD

I'm running 20/50 Lucas semi Syn Straight Racing Oil in my Boostpower 540.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You're fine with a straight 30wt. Unless you're running in really cold temps the straight 30 will be fine.

I'm guessing you're not running an oil cooler on the jet boat? Really weird dynamics on jets with cool river water on an open loop system but hot motor oil. I've ran straight wt's in my jet boats for years with no issues.

Stick with what the previous owner ran for 300+ hours.

+1

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I've been running the Lucas marine 20/50 in my engine since new as recommended by my engine builder.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Illmore is running quite a few 0w- specs on their line of motors.

Last time I was at Morgan Lucas racing. They were talking. About how everything they are doing now is with 0w oils. You will see it becoming more and more prevalent in high horsepower applications ;)

Mind you this is info from people way way way above my pay grade and knowledge level when it comes to oil. Half the time when they're talking to me I just nod my head and act like I understand what they're telling me. LOL

If the engines clearances are built and set up for it, and set up to run the specific oil temp required to run it that weight of oil, absolutely.

Would I run it in a run of the mill medium or high perf SBC or BBC rebuild, or OE merc build, especially something I bought used, No way. Not without oil temp data at least.

Is the Iilmor stuff LS based now? Those guys are running it because it frees up a bit of power, but it really comes down to desired oil temp and bearing clearances, etc. Those setups are above most of our pay grades too, mine certainly :). If they told me to run it in their engine, I would not question it.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Right after rebuild it was Kendall 40W until they stopped making the green oil. Now its Brad Penn 40W. Oil choices are per engine builder - Carson Brummett

CobraDave

Reaction score
Right after rebuild it was Kendall 40W until they stopped making the green oil. Now its Brad Penn 40W. Oil choices are per engine builder - Carson Brummett

I really never heard of Kendal until Savage Marine put it in my boat. Sounds like good stuff from what I've read.

BSP14

Curious Nonproducer
Reaction score
Kendall 20W 50 in my EFI 500; as Hallett used in it.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Penzoil tcw-3... change it with every tank of fuel.

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
I run Kendal W40 in my Jett Bote. But I don't know shit so consider that when you make your choice... :D

spaniard

Reaction score
You guys that are running the VR1 run into any issues by now? How has it held up?
I'm considering running vr1 straight 40 on a stock 502 big block,

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
You guys that are running the VR1 run into any issues by now? How has it held up?
I'm considering running vr1 straight 40 on a stock 502 big block,

This season I ran VR1 straight 40 on a 1,000 horse blower motor. No issues but I change it every trip.