WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

X - Dimensions?

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Or more specifically were is your prop shaft in relation to the Keel? Curious what others with straight 'V" performance boats are at. On my Hallett 210 the prop shaft is 7" below the keel line and the boat loves to be trim'nd out but will chine walk with excessive positive trim.
20171110_153746.jpg

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I think "Mr Floatin Turd", "Mr 500", and I will return when this thread gets around to "XXX dimensions" .

"Don't be tardy" .......

Tinkerer

Reaction score
That is real deep. I would try a -2 shortie and I believe that you won't have to trim as much and the handling should improve.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
7" is really deep. My 27 Victory was set up similarly with the propshaft 6-6.5" below the keel, which would be great for a 496 boat that runs 60mph. The lower the x-dimension, the easier it gets on plane and will stay on plane at slower speeds which is what 99% of the 27 Victorys are used for. Probably a similar thought process with your 210. I have a -2 IMCO on mine and it still gets on plane effortlessly, we pull skiiers and tubers no problem. Thats common with the drive real deep, you have to trim the hell out of it to free it up from the water, then it starts to chinewalk. A -2 would probably work pretty well on yours, you'd probably pick up a couple mph but you won't lose planing ability at all.

Just for reference, all the really fast vee bottoms, the Howards and Laveycrafts with big power, all put the propshaft 1-3" below the keel. Advice I was given once was to keep moving the drive up until it won't get on plane anymore, then space it back down a tad.

Hope that helps.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
7" is really deep. My 27 Victory was set up similarly with the propshaft 6-6.5" below the keel, which would be great for a 496 boat that runs 60mph. The lower the x-dimension, the easier it gets on plane and will stay on plane at slower speeds which is what 99% of the 27 Victorys are used for. Probably a similar thought process with your 210. I have a -2 IMCO on mine and it still gets on plane effortlessly, we pull skiiers and tubers no problem. Thats common with the drive real deep, you have to trim the hell out of it to free it up from the water, then it starts to chinewalk. A -2 would probably work pretty well on yours, you'd probably pick up a couple mph but you won't lose planing ability at all.

Just for reference, all the really fast vee bottoms, the Howards and Laveycrafts with big power, all put the propshaft 1-3" below the keel. Advice I was given once was to keep moving the drive up until it won't get on plane anymore, then space it back down a tad.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response,

I went back to 3 blade and that helped calm the boat down a bit. looking forward to trying a -2 lower on it.

fishing fool

Reaction score
What if you have a step hull??? Does that make a difference on how low it is?

ltzcrew

Reaction score
very interested in the step thing too and what effects a extension box has on this

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
From what I've seen and understand, step hull boats like a higher x-dimension. The step hull is designed to run very flat, not with a lot of trim with the bow up in the air. So, because of that, they don't need the leverage of the prop below the hull in order to loosen them up. A lot of Fountains, Donzis, even some of the Laveys are set up with the propshaft even with or 1" above the keel. That's also why you'll see they're all running 5 blade props (to get on plane) and throw a rooster tail all the time.

An extension box is a different animal and will be specific to the boat. I remember a thread from years ago about a 30 daytona (I think) and one boat had them, one didn't, and the two boats ran exactly the same (same power). But you'll see almost every twin engine cat with them. It seems a lot of the fast, big power single engine vee bottoms run them too. I'd like to try one on my boat someday, if nothing else just for the balance. It makes the boat act a little longer. But by moving the drive back 12" it also has the effect of lowering the x-dimension by 1-2". Transom angles play into it as well, so lots of calculations and trial and error. People like Teague who have driven and set up almost every boat on earth can point you in the right direction on that stuff.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Hope that helps.

Ok i already think, i know the answer but to shorten the X or the drive you have to buy a shorter lower unit where if you need more drive in the water you can use a spacer correct? Read this the other day as well some other searches and kinda wonder how my boat would do with a little less drag and less drive in the water. I’m yet to measure but I’d say mine is 10” below center pod and 7” lower then outer sponsons

Attachments

• 037D953A-F756-4EA9-8F66-5CF7F3D0635F.jpeg
    037D953A-F756-4EA9-8F66-5CF7F3D0635F.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 178

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Ok i already think, i know the answer but to shorten the X or the drive you have to buy a shorter lower unit where if you need more drive in the water you can use a spacer correct? Read this the other day as well some other searches and kinda wonder how my boat would do with a little less drag and less drive in the water. I’m yet to measure but I’d say mine is 10” below center pod and 7” lower then outer sponsons

Correct, you use a shorter lower with a shorter vertical shaft, but if you need to go back down, you buy a spacer and the coupler that connects the vertical shaft to the upper is longer as well. So its always easier to go down then to go up. Not sure what cat you have, but that does seem pretty deep if your propshaft is 7" below the outer sponsons. Not an expert on cat setup by any means, but most single engine cats I've seen are set up with the drive mounted pretty high up, so I'd wager that youd pick up some speed with a shorty lower.

farmo83

Reaction score
A family friend put a shorty on his 26 Eliminator and picked up 9 mph. It was far from stock power though.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Correct, you use a shorter lower with a shorter vertical shaft, but if you need to go back down, you buy a spacer and the coupler that connects the vertical shaft to the upper is longer as well. So its always easier to go down then to go up. Not sure what cat you have, but that does seem pretty deep if your propshaft is 7" below the outer sponsons. Not an expert on cat setup by any means, but most single engine cats I've seen are set up with the drive mounted pretty high up, so I'd wager that youd pick up some speed with a shorty lower.

I got to take the boat to Havasu soon to have Pedro at Saleen do some magic on my dash, maybe on the way to or from I’ll swing by MaxMachine and see what they say. I’ll go measure it today as well

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Mine is 6.25” deeper than the center pod, just measured with a tape rather than my eye, now i see why all the women in my life were so excited, until i pulled down my pants.
And i thought that it was 10” and it’s actually 6 1/4, on the boat :mad::confused:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Mine is 6.25” deeper than the center pod, just measured with a tape rather than my eye, now i see why all the women in my life were so excited, until i pulled down my pants.
And i thought that it was 10” and it’s actually 6 1/4, on the boat :mad::confused:

Well played

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Well played

Lol well......

So at 6-6.5” does that still seem deeper then it should be? As well boat is only 24’10” with 496HO and ran good, but will also have a set of headers (Dana Torque Flow’s) that from what I’ve heard will drop anywhere from 50-as much as I’ve read 100+ (i intend to bathroom scale the box with no packaging but all nuts bolts headers ... and then do the exact same with all the crap i remove) also plan to remove anything and everything from bilge that’s not needed