For those that are familiar with the high end V-drive game on the West Coast there is a name that has been around for a long time and is one of the most respected in this "niche" industry. Mike King has been doing custom rigging on not only race boats, but show winners for as long as I can remember. He has recently purchased a house near the center of town in Lake Havasu and built a massive shop on the lot next door to it that will be his new home base!

(Pictured here in front of Pat Minnegar's Rayson Craft originally rigged by Southern Thunder Marine! Boat is just here to get "finished up").
IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3168.jpeg
IMG_7543.jpeg
IMG_7509.jpeg
IMG_6672.jpeg

Taking a quick tour around the shop, it's obvious that things are coming together quickly! In the drafting room there is already prints being drawn for parts required for the projects.

IMG_5081.jpeg

The machine shop is setup and functional, and while Mike keeps a clean shop you can see some evidence of chips in the bed of the lathe and on the mill.

IMG_5359.jpeg
IMG_1104.jpeg

I have to tell you as a machinist this really amused me. I would never spend the time to make something like this for all of my tooling, and it really shows the level of thoughtfulness that Mike puts into everything in life, not just his projects.

IMG_7107.jpeg
IMG_7876.jpeg

If we go upstairs there is a Mezanine that has a considerable amount of random marine parts collected over the years.
IMG_7892.jpeg

As you dig through it, there is a treasure trove of old V-drive parts and old motor parts that are hard to come by in modern times.
IMG_8372.jpeg
IMG_8375.jpeg

Back Down Stairs we see a fresh project that will be rigged from start to finish at the new shop.

IMG_8797.jpeg

This particular Flat bottom is owned Troy Hooker and will be built to race the 100mph class (Circle Racing).

IMG_8123.jpeg

IMG_9476.jpeg

Off to the left we will see Andy Wheeler absolute Beast of a project! To give credit where credit is due, most of what you see done to this boat was done by Concept Marine. Andy decided to change directions and have Mike finish the boat, which isn't that uncommon on long v-drive builds. (Nothing bad etc.. Just changing directions).

IMG_9600.jpeg
IMG_6355.jpeg

This particular boat has Titanium Plates on it, and I believe the cav plate pads as well as the pillow blocks are titanium as well.

IMG_6813.jpeg
IMG_0696.jpeg

This boat is going to have a Monster All aluminum Keith Black Hemi, that Carson Brummett is making into a Twin Turbo with Heads done by Stage 5!

IMG_5994.jpeg

For you Machinist types he made that part on a manual mill (figure that one out)

IMG_0641.jpeg

IMG_0457.jpeg

Moving over to something a little different is Mike's personal restoration project a 1961 Rayson Craft with a 429 Cadillac motor in it!

IMG_6082.jpeg

It might not look like much right now, but all the parts are there, and this will be a show stopper when it's all done!

IMG_0609.jpeg

Mike has developed a reputation to be regarded by many (myself included) to be one of the best in custom marine installations. So much so that often when you will see a Schiada that is for sale they will be referred to as "King Boats" meaning they were rigged by Mike King. I am very happy that he has picked Havasu as his new home base and look forward to seeing the progress on his existing projects until they are completed!

Welcome to Havasu Mike!

Words : RiverDave
Photos : RiverDave