Photo's and Words by Erick Bryner

FDP_0794.jpg

Another Long Beach Sprint Nationals is in the books and this one had no shortage of excitement. And although I only attended Saturday's races, I don't feel like I missed out on any action. The day started off a little crooked due the parking situation which ruffled some feathers outside the gates, but once that was resolved and everyone settled in, the typical waterside partying ensued.

DSC_0703.jpg

While I had loads of camera gear, I felt a little under prepared when I parked between two groups of race fans that knew how to party. Between the EZ Ups, wet bar, commercial style BBQ grill and the Corn Hole Games, I definitely learned a few things about what to bring next year.

DSC_0700.jpg

Everyone was super cool (I mean c'mon, they're boat people, right?) and had no problem with me squeezing in between them to get "the shot."

FDP_1206.jpg
FDP_0452.jpg

After a quick cruise through the vendor causeway, where some beautiful vintage and other hot rod boats were displayed, the National Anthem kicked off the action and the races were underway. From the Junior Hydroplanes to the K-Boats, the racing was intense all day. Great head to head battles and some spectacular crashes, which I captured and Dave posted over the weekend.

DSC_0565.jpg

Brian Neal in the CJ-21 Spun his comp jet early in the first heat, and was thrown out of the boat, but he was reportedly okay and sustained no injuries. Tony Scarlata Had a close call in the K-Boat finals at the end of Saturday, but somehow managed to keep the boat right side up and drive it back to the pits. He didn't return for the restart. In the end, it didn't matter because another roll-over at the other end of the track ended that race.

FDP_0070.jpg
FDP_9741.jpg
FDP_9861.jpg

Its funny. As I was driving home that evening, I was thinking that I was glad that I wasn't returning Sunday for another long day in the Sun. But when I woke up the next morning and started going through my shots, I started wishing I was already there. Guess that's what having horsepower in your DNA does to you. I grew up with my dad racing flat bottom drag boats and the Super Stock class of circle boats back in the 70's. He came down from Sacramento just to attend these races with me this weekend, and it was fun to hear all of his stories about "back when he use to race." It never gets old, and it explains a lot about who I am today. In fact, all of those cool, fun, party people you meet at the these events probably have a similar story or background. Its that camaraderie that gets everyone together and makes these events such a great time.

FDP_0153.jpg
FDP_0546.jpg

Until the next race, happy boating. For More pictures and comments please check out the thread on our forums! Click this LINK

Erick Bryner
Fire Drill Productions

FDP_0503.jpg