river.jpg

I had heard rumors about Connolly boats starting back up, but like anything in the marine industry you believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear. Yesterday afternoon though I got a call from none other then Dave Connolly and he mentioned to me that he was opening Connolly Marine right here in Havasu. We weren't thirty seconds into the conversation before I simply asked "where are you?" He responded 1505 countryshire, and I said "I'll be there in 15 minutes!."

Now for those that don't know, Connolly Boats is a border line "Legend" in the West Coast Performance scene. They were founded in 1976 in a small shop in Costa Mesa. After a few years of humble beginnings they moved to a sizable location in Santa Ana and offered three different models. They offered a runner bottom / flat bottom styled drag boat, The 21 Ski Bum, and the 25 Cuddy Cruiser.

The 21' Cruiser model named the "Ski Bum"

Connolly.jpg

An Absolutely gorgeous re-rigged and restored 21 Ski Bum by a board member

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

A pic of Connolly's 25' Cuddy Cruiser. (Currently For sale on Powerboat Listings)

main.jpg

The 21' Ski Bum would ultimately etch the "Connolly" name into history when Dave took a Bud Gilbert, Blown Injected, (approximately) 1000HP V-Drive to Parker AZ for the purpose of setting a Kilo Record. In 1986 the boat set a record running 117.07 for the official record, and a fastest pass of 121.441!! The following year in 1987 that record was broken by a competitor, and Dave once again came off the beach to defend his title, but unfortunately the attempt ended with a blow over. Dave was hurt, and not long after that their father decided that he wanted to retire and the molds and business were sold.

(Pic courtesy of www.connollymarine.com )

aboutus107.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

It has been roughly two and a half decades, and like a Phoenix from the ashes, the family has reunited to once again join the ranks of the marine industry! Dave has purchased a corner lot on Countryshire with approximately 6,000 square feet under roof that will now be Connolly Marine's new home.

IMG_2332.jpg

I will answer the obvious question that is on everyone's minds. "Will they be producing boats again?" The answer is yes, the mold for the infamous 21 Ski Bum has been located in Kansas City and is enroute to Lake Havasu as I type this!

(A 21 Ski Bum that was for sale by a board member)

100_1343.jpg

Connolly Marine's business plan is not centered around producing their infamous 21, but rather their main focus is to offer their expertise in Rigging, Repair, and service for Hot Rod style V-Drive's, Jets, and I/O's. They have already begun setting up their showroom which consists of V-Drive parts (pillow blocks, down pedals etc..), Aero Quip fittings, and custom installation parts that you wouldn't normally find on a standard bolt in "Merc Pacakge."

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

I took a quick tour of the facility, that is nearing it's completion currently, and I asked Dave how much experience he had rigging V-Drives? He quietly laughed and said "I have probably installed more C-500 V-Drives in boats than any single other person on the planet right now." I was a little taken back understanding that they only built 38 21' Ski Bums and I know they didn't build a lot of the 25's (rare boat). As it turns out Eliminator Boats subbed out all of their V-Drive cruisers to Connolly years back, and Dave was the guy machining the parts required and doing the installations of the v-drives not only on their own line of Cruisers, but Eliminators as well.

IMG_2339.jpg

Two years ago, Dave, Chuck, and Cameron were sitting at the Nautical inn when they made a pact to get back into the marine business. Now they are two weeks away from seeing that dream come to fruition. It's obvious they are excited, and exceptionally passionate about their trade. What Dave probably didn't expect is a matched enthusiasm from both young and old alike to welcome them back! I think I speak for everyone when I say we are looking forward to seeing what comes out of Connolly Marine in the near future!

Please check out the website www.ConnollyMarine.com for V-Drive / Jet Parts

Or Give Dave Connolly a call to discuss your needs - 928-255-5523
1505 Countryshire Ave Suite A
Lake Havasu AZ 86403

A Blown 21 Ski Bum running in Needles

[video=youtube;h_mhQWflJmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_mhQWflJmo[/video]

RD