I recently had the pleasure of talking with Randy Waters the owner of this beautiful new M28, and I gotta tell you he is one hell of a nice guy, with one hell of a boating resume! Randy hales from OK, and this particular boat will be spending most of its time on Lake Eufala. It's no surprise to find Randy and his wife Lori in a 100+ mph boat, Randy was actually one of the first on his home lake to bring fast boats to it! With boats ranging from a 1500 HP 21 Eliminator Jet Boat, up and into a DCB M31 with a single 1350 in it Randy is no stranger to what he calls "Power Boats".
Other boats that he has owned included a 22 Advantage Cat, A 28 Howard Bullet with big Teague Power, and another Howard Deck with big Teague Power. The one we ended up talking about the most though was his old DCB Mach 26 that he jokingly referred to as "The Drive Destroyer." When he took delivery of it he had purchased 3 Teague Custom Marine Platinum drives (2 for spares). In the very first weekend he managed to grenade all three of them.
In talking to him about his M28 Build randy laughed and said "I wasn't looking for a powerboat. I was looking for something with some room and reliability." In our conversation I almost said "Outboards are kind of the new powerboats?" but I knew what he meant, the rumble of the big blocks and constant wrenching to keep them going, it's hard to make the comparison to the refinement of the new outboards even if they still put up impressive numbers for top speeds.
If you see the Randy and his wife Lori out on the water make sure you stop over and say hello! He's a great guy that loves to talk boats, and has a colorful history in our beloved hobby!
Here are the Specs on the new M28 Open Bow!
- Customer name: Randy Waters Oklahoma City, OK
- 9’ 0” beam
- Twin Merc 400R’s
- Full walk-through open bow (second M28R with full open bow – Paul Loska’s M28R last April was the first), with customized (fabricated) bow entry way (this is the first M28R that we’ve done with the fiberglass modification to give passengers ease of boarding).
- Billet foot shower at front, along with Fusion hard wired remote flushed into the inside front sponson for social distancing at the bow of the boat.
- Flip up lumbar seats in open bow for ease of storage and access at the helm area.
- Two (2) 55 gallon fuel tanks
- STR (Shaun Torrante Racing) X-Act engine brackets
- 50% Alcantara interior package, with 50% CHILL Cool Tech Marine Vinyl
- Custom carpet kit
- Brand new customized steering wheel from CP Performance (black on black, with contrasting stitch)
- Phase III gelcoat scheme
- Half cap with black powdercoated SS rubrail
- Vacuum Infused Resin (VIR) process, foam-cored, with partial carbon-fiber layup
- Two (2) Mercury VV703 touch screen monitors
- Interior Rigid LED lighting package (mood lighting, courtesy lighting, LED cupholders)
- 10” Shadow Caster underwater LED light, with Rigid tunnel lighting.
- Stage III stereo – Fusion head unit | Two (2) hard-wired remotes | Three (3) JL Audio amplifiers | Twelve (12) JL Audio M6 midrange speakers with LED | Two (2) 13” JL Audio W3 subwoofers
- Mercury DTS controls
- Bimini Top
- 40” Billet swimstep with SeaDek lining and telescoping retractable ladder for easy boarding,
- Extreme Custom Trailer, tandem-axle with two-tone chrome & black 20” FUEL rims, black painted SS fenders and triangular drive guard, front courtesy ladder, under carriage LED mood lighting, etc…
- MFG estimated top speed – 102-105mph
Here you can see the first "walk off" M-28!
Flip up bolsters to make access to the helm storage easier. This is the first time I have seen this on a DCB.
The attention to detail on the interior even up in the gunnels is somewhat inspiring!
Note that interior in the gunnels wraps all the way up and underneath! (Nice touch).
A little better shot of the helm storage! You can see there is a considerable amount of room under there.
Shot highlighting the open bow and the walk off.
Absolutely gorgeous and functional boat! Randy should be very proud!
Words : RiverDave
Pics : DCB Performance Boats