LAboatshow2.GIF This year marks the 55th consecutive year for the Los Angeles Boat show! As many know the economic crisis that developed in 2007 crippled just about every industry in the nation. I can't speak for everyone in the marine industry, but for myself the recession actually started a year earlier. People cut out "luxury items" before anything else, and being a guy that caters to boat companies advertising needs, I'm the first thing they cut. It has been an incredible roller coaster of highs and lows especially for the West Coast Custom Market. I read a statistic somewhere, a few years back that said 85% of the marine industry had disappeared from just three years previous.

Nobody else will say it, but I will. The industry had become complacent, and borderline lazy. Almost every product manufacturer, and boat manufacturer was still riding the coat tails of the late 80's and early 90's. Even poorly performing products and boats were given rave reviews to suck up advertising dollars, and ultimately us as the consumers were not only paying for it, but paying a premium. That was largely because half of the brain trust of southern California was using their falsely inflated home equity as a line of credit, or in some cases an ATM card.

Seven years prior to now, the great halls of the convention center were filled to the brim with stuff people couldn't possibly need, but had lines of people eager to buy. Things had gotten so out of control that they had billet bimini clips and billet knot devices (although I did like it, unfortunately it didn't have a hook on the other end). Hell to this day I still have a aluminum ski flag that is anodized to match the hardware on my boat. Don't even get me started on the absolutely useless billet speaker grill craze.

28SS.jpg

Three years ago I went to the show and it was a shell of it's former self. Half of the manufacturers were gone, all the absolutely useless accessories were gone, and it seemed like the only guys smiling in the show was the guy from the jerky hut. There was a feeling of despair and I questioned if our industry was going to survive at all during the time.

It's interesting looking back at it now though I see things in an entirely different light. The financial hardships acted almost like a much needed cleansing of the marine industry. The fat has been trimmed, and I'm happy to say a lot of the products, and a lot of the people that had no business in the marine industry to begin with are gone.
25tremorclosed5.jpg

Great Products like the box anchor and shore spike are very much in business. Quality products like "Top Knot" ropes, and innovative products like Boat Bling, and Performance Boat Candy are not only flourishing, but they are on the rev limiter grabbing another gear as their businesses began to take hold of the market places that were once saturated.

Most importantly, at least for my field, the fat cats of the media world are all but gone. Now the media outlets are all controlled by enthusiasts!! Jason Johnson and Matt Trulio you can find at any of the major events down in the thick of the action reporting daily with their outlet www.speedonthewater.com you can also find their articles on the infamous www.offshoreonly.com, All of the magazines are gone except for one "Performance Boats magazine" which enthusiasts Ray Lee purchased half of, so I'd look for changes coming to the mag in 2014. Finally there's RDP which is primarily enthusiast driven content, but we are trying hard to get more "boots on the ground" and "wrenches in the garage" style content with John Teague, Bob Jeanblanc, and other guys that are more of the busted knuckle type variety as opposed to pencil pushers.

The boat show is a mirror image of everything you are seeing across the industry! This year manufacturers hopes are high, and the words "Things have finally turned around" are being touted by just about everyone that I have been talking too lately.

m41.jpg

Joe Baca from Baca marine told me this last Sunday - "Dave this is the busiest January that we have had in over six years!" Tony C from DCB said "Dave 2014 has been nothing short of a blockbuster so far, we have EIGHT BOATS ON ORDER in the month of January!" Bob Leach from Eliminator "We are currently building NINE BOATS, do you know of any riggers that we can hire? We are starting to get back logged!" Gene Willen from Howard - "We are backed up until June or July to get started on a new build, we are absolutely slammed right now!" Thane from Nordic - "We sold over 70 boats last year, and we are on schedule to crush that in 2014! I sold Four new boats last week!" (With Nordic whom is undoubtedly building the most boats of everyone, I don't even try to keep up per month anymore so I go by week with them.) I'm sure you get the idea, but I could put up another twenty similar quotes, from other service shops and manufacturers right now.

SportDeck.jpg

A few paragraphs back I mentioned the boat show being a shell of it's former self three years ago. The SCMA (Southern California Marine Association) and the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Assocation) merged, and two years ago the NMMA produced it's first Los Angeles Boat Show. Attendance was up 64% from the year prior! Guys like Ryan Rawlings, and Dave Geofrey are people you never hear of in the magazines, but they are the back bone of these events, and they have been working around the clock to make sure 2014 is even better than the year before!

So lets get to the brass tacks of what you will see at this years boat show. You will see approximately 27-30 West Coast Customs on display!! That's just from the people I talked to! I know there will even be more in the Lobby and in various booths like Teague Custom Marine on display.

We'll start with Advantage they are bringing out their entirely new 27' X-Flight! They took a 29 and cut the walk way out of it too shorten it two feet, and powered it with one of Merc's new 520's! The boat ran 69 mph the first time out, and with a light chop on the second day they managed to get 71 out of it!

advantage_27xflight.jpg

They are also bringing a 21 SR with them with a 5.0 / 260HP package that they plan to offer fully loaded at a sub 60,000 price tag for the entry level market!

advantage_21sr.jpg

Hallett is bringing their entirely new 285 DeckBoat which according to them has not been debuted an a boat show yet and it along with their new 290 V-Bottom (with V2D bottom technology) will both be powered by 520's as well. They are bringing a couple of stand by soldiers in the way of a 255, and a 270 as back ups to their line up.

285pc.jpg
290-t_running-3.jpg

Howard Boats is bringing two boats this year that are both new and ready for power, a 28 SDS, and a 28 Sport Deck! The 28 SDS sports a front and back cap with stainless rub rail on the sides, and the Sport Deck features a complete cap! Unfortunately Gene Willen had a retina become detached from his eye so he will not be in attendance at the boat show personally. Mike Willen, and I believe Scott Earnst will be manning the booth. Get well soon Gene your presence and humor will be missed this year!

SDS.jpg

Shockwave Custom Boats is bringing a complete lineup!! Starting with a 21 Step Skier, a new 28 Deck, a 25 Tremor, 26' Cat, and their 22 Deck!! Unfortunately Bob wasn't available when I called, so I'm unsure as to what power is in each, but will follow up on that with the boat show review articles.

26catclosed_main.jpg
28deck_main.jpg
22deck_main.jpg
21stepskier_1.jpg

DCB is bringing their entire "M Series Line up" Starting with the Flagship Red - M41 powered by 1350's. They are premiering their new M-29 powered by 565's (Ran 120 first time out on the limiters), and an M31 with 700's, as well as a ridiculously powered M-35 with Teague 1335's that will be displayed right next door in Teague Custom Marine's booth!

M29.jpg
m35.jpg
m31.jpg

Nordic is bringing out a "River Oriented" line up electing to leave their 39 V at home and put two smaller boats in it's place this year! They are bringing out a 26 Deck, and a 29 Deck, a 25 Walk Through Rage, and I believe a 28 open bow heat, this along side two exceptionally bad ass 28SS's including the blue one that is being featured as a build in our From the mold section. The word on the street is one of these 28SS's is going to be rigged with ridiculous power as the owner will be going after "Buck" and his 148 mph record in yet another 28SS. Their crowning "show boat" will be the infamous 192 21 SR with a merc 1350.

29NordicDec.jpg
25rage.jpg
21SR.jpg
m292.jpg

In addition to those boats listed above the APBA will be bringing out quite a show of race boats for the lobby this year!

Marlee Hill - SST-45 9
Dave Hale - 20-SSH 42C
Chuck Skelton - SST-45 93 (tentative)
Bob Williams - D Mod Hydro
Tom Buckles - K-Boat
Carla Mulford - Super Cinders 80-K
Gordy Jennings - ASH US-2
Gordan Jennings - K-69

Casey Jones - ASH 72C
Greg Ronkainen - COR 128
Tom Buksa - GN 44
Chris Kohles - GN 50
Jeff Doidge - P-94 Crackbox (tentative)
John Soares - Mod U

Unfortunately Eliminator had to pull out this year last minute. Bob sold the boats he had for the show! There will be a separate article up today regarding an Open house and what's going on down at Eliminator. Other notable manufacturers that are missing this year are Essex, Cobra, Lavey, Ultra, Caliber 1, and a few others.. All of which are still staying busy, but are attending other events.

Overall spirits seem high, and I believe with the NMMA at the helm you will see this show return to a full hall show, and possibly two halls in the next 3 - 4 years!

written by RiverDave