It should be noted none of the pics in this article have anything to do with the content. Just some old School River Pics from the boards.

Back when I was thin and the plant was alive on the Patio at the RiverHouse..
rd_rtj_rtbri.jpg

It's an interesting feeling living out here in Lake Havasu this time of year. I remember not that long ago being a California resident that lived 265.2 miles from our house in Parker (or 266.3 miles from my shop). The excitement would start building on this Monday for the upcoming weekend that was the official kick off to summer. As the week wore on time would actually slow down, and I would almost wonder if someone was running around setting the clocks back in the shop. The last day of work was just brutal, and I often found myself wondering why I even worked that day because I almost invariably never got anything done.

Old School Garage Party - Recognize Anyone?

attachment.php

Late Nights in Parker
river2007002.jpg

I remember the old guys always lecturing the younger guys on the forums saying things like "The River Will still be there" implying to everyone that they should drive slower. That made exactly zero impact on my program, and as far as I was concerned on that drive there was a checkered flag at the end of Rice Rd. So I'm not going to lecture you on safety, or how to drive, or which roads to take. I'm a huge believer in self accountability, and the big boy theory. Those are your choices to make.

Whatever Happened to Miss Perfect and crew?
attachment.php

The Infamous Lucky Strike
attachment.php

I will say though looking back on all those years I would make a change, that maybe some of the other guys that are self employed would listen too. You're not going to do shit on the last day before vacation anyways, just leave the night before. I understand that could open up a whole discussion of "What will my employees think" (if you have them), or maybe you really do have yourself convinced you are actually getting something done and you might be murmuring something under your breath like "Dave doesn't know what it's like to own your own business." Well actually I do, I have been self employed since I was 23-24 (I'm guessing here), and have managed to make it work this whole time. I think the old guys had it wrong with the saying "The River will still be there."

attachment.php

I had a kind of epiphany last night at around 3:00 in the morning. I was thinking about life, and my dad, and then my kids. I was thinking about growing up at the river, and all the cool vacations my dad took me on. Then I got to thinking about time and how it seems like a different life time ago when he was alive, and how incredibly fast life is moving now with my kids. Then I came to some extremely startling revelations about life as I was thinking about Memorial Day 2014. This would mark 36 (I'm 37 but born in Oct) Memorial days for me being on this planet. If I'm lucky and I live as long as my dad then I have 36-37 more to go. When you start thinking in those kind of numbers you realize how quickly you can count to 36. So yeah as the old guys say "The River will always be there," but I would like to point out "Whatever is on your desk will be there on Tuesday as well." Take the extra day and enjoy the river on it's quiet time. Spend some time with your family and maybe check out Havasu for a day if you are a Parker guy, and Vice versa. You only go around once, and the Holidays only come around during boating season three times a year. Looking back I would've taken the extra day(s), and driven with less traffic, a lot slower, and spent a few more days with a Corona in my hand, and my ass in the sand. (Or so the song goes) Something to think about for all you guys still stuck in the rat race.

dec06177.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Written by RiverDave