dsc0026.jpg
My story of the Texas Outlaw Challenge goes back to our trip to Miami earlier this year. It was late one night during the Florida Powerboat Club "after party" that I sat down at a table with Jim Nichols, Devin Wozencraft, and Paul Robinson. I was introduced to Paul and we had a few rounds talking about boats, events, Desert Storm and it subtly came out that he is the person that puts on the "Texas Outlaw Challenge."

We talked a bit about Kap's glowing review of the event right here on RDP, (link to write up Glowing review of event right here on RDP) and Paul expressed interest in getting more Lake Havasu and West Coast boats to attend. Our conversation continued to other various subjects of boating, and more rounds of drinks when he reached into his bag and pulled out an envelope and said "I have something for you." Now I'm not a person easily excited about things, but if you ever want to see me like a kid on Christmas any kind of surprise, especially one that I have no idea what it is that I get to unwrap puts me in one fat and happy mood. I know that social decorum dictates that I quietly place the envelope into my pocket and open it at a later time, but I've never been one for social decorum. The envelope is shredded and in the dim light I pull out something that is borderline "glowing." I am officially Charlie going to the chocolate factory, this is a "golden ticket." An open invitation to the Texas Outlaw challenge! Obviously this deserves another round on me.

photo.jpg

It occurs to me that if I'm coming from the West Coast that I need to bring some serious hardware with me to represent Lake Havasu. Almost immediately when I get home I call Gary Smith aka "Predator" and tell him what had happened in Miami, and ask if he had any interest in going to TX! He said so long as his boat hadn't sold before the event that he is in, and I know officially have my "gun" to bring to Texas. I also called Lee from Schiada (A former TX graduate) and asked if he would like to head out to Texas with us to represent the West Coast. Coming fresh off the good times of Desert Storm, Lee is in as well!

As things draw nearer, unfortunately Gary had some commitments come up that he can't get out of, so we lost our big "gun" in terms of the speed department. I am really bummed about that because nothing would have made me happier then to see a West Coaster come home with all the marbles in the shoot out (and I think his boat has the gumption to be able to pull it off, especially with the rougher water over there). That's not to discount that we are still bringing some of the finest hardware that the West Coast has to offer in our 43' Schiada.

IMG_0050.JPG
HRGreatprofilewflag.jpg

I have talked to KAP at great lengths about the Texas Outlaw Challenge and to sum up his feelings in one sentence "No other Poker Run Even Comes Close." Now bear in mind KAP has been to quite a few of them around the country so when he makes a bold statement like that, as a fellow West Coaster I listen. We are now two weeks away from catching our flights, and less than two weeks until the boat leaves for TX. Our entire group (Lee, Aaron, Sammy, Mike, Stacy and myself) gets a little more excited about the trip with each passing day.

From what I have seen so far, and what I have been told the Texan's do this event with a level of "style" and "hospitality" that is simply unmatched. I look forward to experiencing it myself, and reporting back when we get home!

dsc0260-2.jpg
dsc0289.jpg
to_gallery_002.jpg
dsc0182.jpg
to_gallery_001.jpg
dsc0077.jpg
dsc0082.jpg
dsc9286.jpg