WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

lower unit

3 Beer

Reaction score
we lost foward and reverse on saturday is it difficult to rebuild and are there special tools required its a 1979 v200 merc are there places that do exchanges and how much should i expect to pay

Reaction score
B&J has a bunch of that old stuff. Give Sandy a call. (909) 629-2542

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Have a good long look at the shift-shaft. I doubt both gears are gone. There's just something wrong with the shift linkage.

3 Beer

Reaction score
well i took it of and the shaft is broken at the splines

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
well i took it of and the shaft is broken at the splines

Did that two years ago...or I should say my wife did...

I bet you have a foot throttle and dropped it in gear with it reved up a bit.

There are a few special tools needed. At minium you need the spanner socket to remove the bearing carrrier nut. Also should have the spanner for the shift shaft bushing, spline tool for torquing the pinion nut, spanner socket for the driveshaft bearing retaining ring and a torque wrench. You won't need any for the setup tools if the gears are good. Just put the shims back in like they are now. Not sure how much a drive shaft is for that gearcase but somewhere between $300 and $500 I would guess for a new one. Should be lots of used ones available for allot less.

Good luck,

Bob

3 Beer

Reaction score
thanks for the info the parts are almost as much as a new unit from sei just need to find out if it will fit my motor

Gone_Flat

Reaction score
Did that two years ago...or I should say my wife did...

I bet you have a foot throttle and dropped it in gear with it reved up a bit.

There are a few special tools needed. At minium you need the spanner socket to remove the bearing carrrier nut. Also should have the spanner for the shift shaft bushing, spline tool for torquing the pinion nut, spanner socket for the driveshaft bearing retaining ring and a torque wrench. You won't need any for the setup tools if the gears are good. Just put the shims back in like they are now. Not sure how much a drive shaft is for that gearcase but somewhere between $300 and $500 I would guess for a new one. Should be lots of used ones available for allot less.

Good luck,

Bob
bob your sig should say lavey 20.2 sebring 104 mph 280 ss . just flippin ya some shit looks like your enjoying it ,if you ever need to sell look me up i still miss that little rocket!!!!TUNNEL T

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
bob your sig should say lavey 20.2 sebring 104 mph 280 ss .

I could change it to 90 something...lookin for 104. I only claim what I have seen on GPS and know I can repeat. Yes I love my little Lavey and don't expect to sell it for a long time.

3 Beer,

I have a friend that is running an SEI on a rude. He got lots of metal out of it the first few hours but it seems to be fine now. There are mixed opinions and I would not use one on my 280 the way I am surfacing it all the time. Very hard on gearcases and I hate to get towed.