WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Following Teague Custom Marine's - GN 77 to the Parker Enduro

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
John from TCM has been kind enough to keep us all here at RDP up to date with what they are doing to their boat for this years Parker 300 Enduro!

1manwolfpack-3.jpg

Written by John Teague

So, to get started, a brief history of the boat: The hull is a 1982 model year laid up at Schiada. It is a purpose built grand national race hull originally developed by Robert Palm and modified by my father. We still own the set of molds, as well as the tooling to close off the cockpit area (full race aerodynamics you know?). It was raced in GN Division 1 and the Enduro from 1982 to 1992 with a variety of N/A and twin turbo engine configurations. It was the APBA high points national champion and Hall of Champions inductee in 1985 and 1988, coincidentally the years my sister and I were born. The final time it was raced was the World Championships in 1992 at Firebird, where it literally dominated the entire field. My dad decided to show up unannounced when everyone thought he wasn't racing. Some competitors got scared and tried to protest the boat for illegal numbers. Suffice to say, it was motivation to kick some ass. The boat was ran a few more times in random ski races until 1994, and was ran as an exhibition at an offshore race in 1996. From 1996 to 2009 it sat at the shop, double covered.

I remember at one point by dad considered selling it to someone for something like $35 grand (I'm sure glad he didn't). Then Ross launched the new Parker Enduro. Year after year boat counts increased. I wanted to dust off the GN boat and race, my mother wanted it to stay a museum piece. It was no accident that boat got parked in 1992. They had two kids, had won everything there was to win in the class, and drivers were getting killed. I don't blame her, I've personally seen my share of circle racing fatalities, but that didn't stop me from trying. My dad and I were in Havasu testing the Lick This Skater in 2008 and stopped at the Bluewater as we were leaving town. It happened to be the night after the Parker enduro and we ran into everyone after the awards banquet. He said to me, "I'll handle your mother, next year, we are doing this" and just like that it was on.

The summer before that first race we took the boat all apart and removed all the 1980's rigging and support systems out, as well at the Gentry Twin Turbo 468 (which is a REALLY cool piece, just antiquated for the beating we put on this boat in the race.) We assembled a new engine out of random parts laying around the shop. There was a block with a sleeve from a defective intake valve, repaired heads, takeout crank from a warranty job, then we traded Whipple one kit for another. We ended up building a hydraulic roller 1200 horsepower carburetor engine with the 3.3L quad rotors. I installed an offshore boat worth of rigging on one aluminum plate in front of the rudder, and we set the engine up like an offshore motor with V-Drive mounts, including a belt driven multi-stage water pump on a custom mount off the head. We did good that first year in 2009, good enough there was a classic extranormal made about it (must have done something right). We had an epic battle with Haribidian for the Overall and the truth is that if I had matched my dad's lap times, we would have won. It was my first time in the boat and quite frankly, I was scared to death of the thing. It is still by and far the most brutal machine I have ever been in.

In 2010, the handicap against our class was pretty steep from winning the year before. Regardless, we went for it anyways. Unfortunately, the prop threw a blade and seriously screwed the boat up. It broke the drop-through strut out of its mounts, prezeled the propshaft, and killed the V-Drive. The vibration was so violent that random things all over the boat sheared bolts off and the two halves of the V-Drive tried to separate and blew half the case bolts in half (not exactly sure how that happened). So once again the boat came back apart for a total redo.

101030-00422.JPG

In 2011, We had a nice run going until the water pump belt came off. There is still some discussion about whether the belt was loose or in the right groove on the crank pulley (I couldn't find picture evidence that I didn't screw that up), but the end result is the same: a full lap at race speed with no water (I have video of the steam shooting out the dumps), resulting in oil and water gauges pegged out at somewhere over 350 degrees F. Keep in mind we run a massive Dan Olson oil pan and twin bellhousing coolers, resulting in a total system capacity of over 24 quarts. Amazingly the engine was actually undamaged. Later teardown showed just a slight scuffing of two pistons above the ringland, but the valves and head gaskets were all good. I got in the boat after the emergency pitstop thinking it was going to be total junk and I thought it was knocking. It was not knocking, in fact one of the headers literally broke in half at the first bend the the primary, only 6 inches away from one of the aluminum 55 gallon IMCO fuel tanks. By the end of the day we had again broke a bunch of random parts, broke the front motor mount in half, gotten carbon monoxide poisoning, killed a mil-spec battery, and almost died in a giant fuel explosion, but its the Enduro. You learn to expect these things.

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

That leads us to this year's preparation. We gave the engine a full rebuild and configuration change. It was a hydraulic roller 1200. We bumped the compression, changed the cam to our new solid roller LS1 grind, upgraded the valvetrain to steel T&D's, and modernized the heads with 11/32 valves all around. It is now a legitimate 1400 horsepower, 7000 RPM setup. We also decided to take the plunge and run water-jacketed exhaust courtesy of some low-profile CMI big tubes after breaking those "other" headers 3 years in a row. The hunt for props continues and we plan on testing at least 5 before the race, including some donated by the #550 Tub of Fools boys. Currently, the engine is on a cart and almost ready to go in the boat. We are going to make some custom jacketed turn-out tailpipes and mount a couple reservoirs and its done.

101030-00047.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

101030-00017.jpg

101030-00022.jpg

IMG_5748.JPG

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Fucking cool shit there. That first year they ran I watched from the top deck of "the boat house" at my buddies river pad. Every time this thing came by we couldn't stop being amazed about how great that engine sounded. Never missed a beat. I've got a ton of running pics of it on my laptop. I'll try and post some tomorrow. By the way, we were curious about what that black coating that was on that original set of headers?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Testing the boat for the Parker Enduro 2010

[video=youtube;CUrly2phQ_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=CUrly2phQ_Y&NR=1[/video]

On Board footage from GN77 in 2011

[video=youtube;YKkwjogQVtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKkwjogQVtM&feature=plcp[/video]

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
Very cool! Thanks for sharing Dave.:thumbsup

mentalmatt

Reaction score
I love it! "We threw a motor together with parts we had laying around the shop" .............. !!!!! How freaking awesome must that be! Love the story, writeup, pics, and video's. Now THIS is boating content!!!

Hammer

Reaction score
I've always wondered the history of that boat, in the early 90's when I'd go to your shop with my dad,my buddy and I could see just a glimpse of this boat from behind the counter, we'd leave the shop talking about how we could get a boat like that one day. Thanks for the history lesson John, great write up, looking forward to seeing you guys run at the enduro !!! Good Luck !

Reaction score
That is a killer set up and an awesome write up.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Great story John. Hope to make it out to cheer you guys on this year. Good luck and keep the wet side down!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Cool deal, sat in the corner for 13 years and "I'll handle your mother"

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Reaction score
Fucking cool shit there. That first year they ran I watched from the top deck of "the boat house" at my buddies river pad. Every time this thing came by we couldn't stop being amazed about how great that engine sounded. Never missed a beat. I've got a ton of running pics of it on my laptop. I'll try and post some tomorrow. By the way, we were curious about what that black coating that was on that original set of headers?

The original year/headers, the black coating was caused by burning off ATF. The headers were raw steel and the old trick was to coat them in ATF after every run and then it gets burned off when you run the motor the next time. Keeps them from getting all rusty and junk looking.

JT

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Reaction score
I've always wondered the history of that boat, in the early 90's when I'd go to your shop with my dad,my buddy and I could see just a glimpse of this boat from behind the counter, we'd leave the shop talking about how we could get a boat like that one day. Thanks for the history lesson John, great write up, looking forward to seeing you guys run at the enduro !!! Good Luck !

Thank you! Part of the reason I love this whole deal is the history of the boat and event. You always need a little bit of luck at the Enduro Ill take all we can get!

John

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Definitely subscribed to this thread :thumbsup Great writing skills!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Great thread and awesome boat! You guys are a class act!!!!:thumbsup

DSC04629.JPG

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
The original year/headers, the black coating was caused by burning off ATF. The headers were raw steel and the old trick was to coat them in ATF after every run and then it gets burned off when you run the motor the next time. Keeps them from getting all rusty and junk looking.

JT

No shit. I never would have thought that was it. I thought it was some bad ass new coating out now or something like that. LOL. My buddy was talking about doing it to the headers on his Rush GN boat. Would just fit with the boat being black. In fact his river house is just a few doors down from you guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Great write up John! Good luck to you and the TCM team!
-Tom

AMBUSHER

Reaction score
Very cool history, Not to mention an awesome Father and Son effort!:thumbsup

Good luck out there guys,
TJ

jajo

Reaction score
Very cool John. Can't wait to hear all about the race! Good luck.

FlatNv

Reaction score
one of my favorites,good luck this year.. boat looked and sounded awesome last year:thumbsup IMG_3214.jpg

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Awsome story!!! Cant wait to see that boat running next weekend.:thumbsup Good luck!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is Part 1 of the story.. Part 2 is coming tonight. :)

RD

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Been kinda busy today and didn't have time to get my laptop out. I'll do it tomorrow and load some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

boatnam2

Reaction score
2 things i have learned about TCM, one it built the best motor i have ever owned, always got compliments how it sounded...And two don't be popping off if you have a problem with it on the internet (I was still a rookie) cause when you ask for it to be fixed you may hear a little something about it from Bob:D

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Right on! Great write up! Just got off the phone with Dave and I'm stoked to get out there and shoot some pics next weekend. :thumbsup Debating putting the 'ol Taco in the water one last time for the year :hmm or just let her take the rest of the year off...

Hammer

Reaction score
Right on! Great write up! Just got off the phone with Dave and I'm stoked to get out there and shoot some pics next weekend. :thumbsup Debating putting the 'ol Taco in the water one last time for the year :hmm or just let her take the rest of the year off...

You better have the taco in the water ! It's the last trip of the year !!!

Hammer

Reaction score
Not sure what your plans are shooting wise but I have dock you can take action shots off of on the Cali side, the boats are probably 10' off the dock on the back straightaway . Upper balcony as well....

westair

Reaction score
Great story!:thumbsup .... shit I'm gonna have to get out there and see this race!!:cool

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what your plans are shooting wise but I have dock you can take action shots off of on the Cali side, the boats are probably 10' off the dock on the back straightaway . Upper balcony as well....

Is that that house off in the reeds with the two story dock? Yeah let's go check it out! :thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Is that that house off in the reeds with the two story dock? Yeah let's go check it out! :thumbsup

There's two types of guys in this world.. Those that work at a distance and those that are up close in personal..

I figured you for up close in personal. :D

Stick with me PT, I'll show you Parker, the race, and a goodtime. :D

RD

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
There's two types of guys in this world.. Those that work at a distance and those that are up close in personal..

RD

I prefer to not work at all. :D

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score

RD

I knew I picked up the fisheye lens for a reason! Right on Dave show me the way!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Part II

Written by John Teague :

We took the V-Drive front case off and checked the gears and bearings: all good. We were concerned because it was puking out a lot of oil during the race last year. The old reservoir tank was not substantial enough for the windage created by running the boat that hard.

IMG_5767.jpg IMG_5770.jpg

I got a lot of questions about V-Drive windage after talking about it last year on the forums. Mainly: how the hell do V-Drives make windage and puke oil. As you run V-Drives with tall gears hard, the big upper gear will sling and hold the oil in the top part of the case, so much that it will pressurize the top half of the case with oil. You must vent endurance or big power V-Drives, otherwise the pressure/heat generated will blow seals; however, if you run a typical vent of the top front case cap, the big gear will blow all the oil out. So you must run a puke tank, or oil cycle tank. You take oil out of the V-Drive by the top gear and run it to the top of the tank, and run a return line from the bottom of the tank to the oil level port by the bottom gear. In this way the V-Drive is vented and return the oil that the big gear pushes out the top vent line. (Pics included)

IMG_5771.jpg IMG_5773.jpg

The original cycle tank was not large enough volume and had a return port that was too small. We custom made a new one out of SS Pipe and hard-welded -06 bungs with double the volume and a Lyall Turbosonics cap to vent. I'm hoping this tank does the trick, as the ENTIRE boat, engine, drivers, etc were covered in gear lube last year from the wind whipping it around. Ever had gear lube in your mouth? It sucks.

Engine going in tonight....

IMG_5774.jpg IMG_5775.jpg

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Some pics of the GN77 in action.

Attachments

• IMG_1727 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1727 [800x600].JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_1729 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1729 [800x600].JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_1730 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1730 [800x600].JPG
    106 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_1732 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1732 [800x600].JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_1802 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1802 [800x600].JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_1845 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_1845 [800x600].JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 518

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The final installment of Following Teague to the Enduro..

Engine is in, boat is ready for the water. I'm including some detail shots of various bits of custom fabrication on the boat. Well, the whole thing is really custom fabbed but some new/extra cool stuff. The tailpipes for the CMI's came out SO SICK! They look like Banks Diesel turnouts with a rolled tip! Everything on this boat we made in house from scratch. We are ready for Parker!

IMG_5799.jpg IMG_5798.jpg IMG_5797.jpg IMG_5795.jpg IMG_5794.jpg IMG_5778.jpg IMG_5800.jpg IMG_5801.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The last 7 pics.. I hope you guys enjoyed it!!

IMG_5778.jpg IMG_5782.jpg IMG_5785.jpg IMG_5790.jpg IMG_5791.jpg IMG_5792.jpg IMG_5793.jpg

Reaction score
Holy shit. Those pipes are bad ass. Daaaaaaaaamn

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Holy shit. Those pipes are bad ass. Daaaaaaaaamn

I pretty much decided what I want for OT's after looking at those pics.. :D They are extremely BAD ASS! The boat has a lot of detail in the rigging if you look close. (Shield on v-drive etc..)

RD

Hammer

Reaction score

RD

X2 on that PT, RD we set up a camera or a go pro on the cali side across from badnochs if you want, I'm bringing a gopro with me as well.....

Reaction score
I pretty much decided what I want for OT's after looking at those pics.. :D They are extremely BAD ASS! The boat has a lot of detail in the rigging if you look close. (Shield on v-drive etc..)

RD

Hell I'm sitting here telling myself the doghouse in the Griz needs to go for some of those. I have seen some bad ass pipes, but those are over the top.

Rigging at its finest right there. The plumbing looks so clean.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
X2 on that PT, RD we set up a camera or a go pro on the cali side across from badnochs if you want, I'm bringing a gopro with me as well.....

I'll bring my GoPro too just in case... Just scrubbed and buffed my Taco.. Wheels up in the morning :thumbsup :D