WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

V Drive Advice

530RL

Reaction score
I am thinking of building a V-Drive. I am fairly handy, a reasonable fabricator and have built several other things including sand cars and some vintage car restoration.

I am thinking along the following lines:

1) I don't think I really want a flat bottom but something with a slight V.

2) I would prefer to have someone build a new hull and rig the V-drive, then I would finish the power, wiring, interior etcetera. I am not a boat expert and my experience is limited to Modified V hulls and outboard setup.

3) I like the Giroux pictures where they have a slight V bottom with a real wood deck. I am however a little concerned about 17.8 feet and wether or not 18 or 19 would be a little better?

4) I want an open engine compartment.

5) Building a project is as much fun to me as having the finished boat.

6) The use is basically for the river goofing off. I have access to other watercraft and the wife rides the toon. I do not however, at my age, need to be the fastest or the coolest, I am too old now. I would like a little free board so I do not sink whenever others go by.

7) I would probably run power that is non-standard, but has plenty of power and is all aluminum.

So I need all the input you guys have as I am certain I do not know Jack Shit.

Basic Questions,

1) Why do the 20 and 21 foot boats run auto transmissions? Weight? Need the gearing as drag reduces?

2) Who builds a quality hull and does quality rigging?

3) What size do I really need/want and why? Pros and cons?

4) What type of hull is the right type and why?

5) Is there something between 21 cruiser and 17 foot flatty.

The more opinions the better.

Thanks,

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
How fast, how much power, and the real question, how much money ? Many hulls (between 16' and 22') are adaptble to V-drive and run well (out of the box). Other hulls require some bottom work and can become great V-drives as well. Pete has the Cole 20'6" and with it's 'one degree delta pad bottom' it makes a nice V-drive. I've taken old jet boat hulls, done $1000/$2000 of hull bottom work and set up great running V-drives. I guess it's all in what you want to end up with.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
There are some semi v boats too. 19' Spectra and Schiada come to mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Basic Questions,

1) Why do the 20 and 21 foot boats run auto transmissions? Weight? Need the gearing as drag reduces?

Mainly for driveability when docking etc, much easier to be able to shift F-N-R with a velvet drive or TH400, than something with just a crash box where you have to kill the motor to shift then re-fire, or even worse a prop-shaft engager with no reverse. Now in a flatty that doesn't matter much since you can really back them up anyway...

2) Who builds a quality hull and does quality rigging?

Lots of good old hulls are around, obviously Schiada, Rayson, Howard, but also Spectra, Dimarco, Campbell, Hallett. Then you get into all the old flatties, Mandella, Hallett, Wickens, Aquacraft, etc, etc, etc...

There are a few places that do quality rigging, and if you are mechanically and fabrication inclinded with a lot of time to spare on a project you can do it yourself, Look for 420HOA's thread in the schiada section, dude has been rigging his own 21' schiada and it's far better than stuff I've seen come out of certain 'name brand' shops that have rigged schiadas for years. :thumbsup

3) What size do I really need/want and why? Pros and cons?

17-19, two seater boat, if you jump out to swim you'll probably have to climb over the side, there probably isnt enough room to get around the headers in the back, also if you are standing on the back you may sink the boat ;) Do you want to worry about a wave swamping the boat and sinking it? freeboard will be something to consider in that light.

4) What type of hull is the right type and why?

Kinda depends on your boating style, and where you are boating.... Day boating? launching going for a put then coming back and on the trailer or tieing up?

5) Is there something between 21 cruiser and 17 foot flatty.

19 spectra GMT's, Raysoncrafts, 20' schiada, connolly, basically all the GN hulls would fit into this category

The more opinions the better.

Thanks,

V-drives are a builders and drivers boat :thumbsup, if you do it i have no doubt you'll get it done right after looking at other stuff you do :thumbsup

FrznJim

Reaction score
Best advice I can give you is get out your checkbook.....I built a 21 Schiada RC a couple years ago, 100k later, got a nice boat. There's a ton of machine work, polishing and PC/anodize in a v-drive. Did most of the wiring and plumbing myself. That was fun. Would I do it again, probably not. For 30k you can buy 28Skaters Vector, drop a motor in it, you can plumb and wire that, and have an awesome boat. BTW I've got a extra 1050hp twin turbo motor for 18k, it would drop right in that boat.

old man on the lake

Reaction score
When do you want to drive it?
Unless you really want the project buy that Vector.
If you take a stage one boat and do most of the work yourself, it will take you years to complete.Unless you are retired then figure eighteen months.
Normally you can save $$ buying a nice complete or less engine boat.

500bbc

Reaction score
I like my 19, perfect for Parker strip.
Small back seat, T400, through transom water jacketed headers.

Attachments

• pakerfamily 047.jpg
    pakerfamily 047.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 356

500bbc

Reaction score
For Sale
Info sent

Attachments

• art's rayson.jpg
    art's rayson.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 229

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
First off, flats don't sink as easy as many riverdaves place yuppies perceive. The smaller/lighter boats offer a bigger thrill than bigger and heavier with same power. The smaller boats do require some common sense especially on weekends.

My advice is for you to attend a v-drive outing and go for some rides in several different types of boats to figure out what you like best. :cool

883135_630088097006430_1782134207_o.jpg

This flatty has a turbo 400 in it.
886678_630088130339760_1289871759_o.jpg

This is the same style hull as Gofastracer is selling (highly recomended). :thumbup:

269340_630173880331185_1017569897_n.jpg

Do these people all look like they're concerned with sinking from a little wake?

DSC06971.JPG

500bbc

Reaction score
Jerry, sounds like he's looking for under 21 but a little bit of vee. Art's boat sounds perfect for what he posted, it's started and the flow and tanks look bad ass.

Tell him a little about the power in the first faltty you posted.:thumbup::D

500bbc

Reaction score
20' Now with MFI

Attachments

• river907 022.jpg
    river907 022.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 557
  • river907 002.jpg
    river907 002.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 173
  • river907 021.jpg
    river907 021.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 173

AzGeo

Reaction score
I hope you find good honest professional help, BEFORE you throw $20K at some POS. Otherwise, the non-V-drivers will think they really know what's going on.........

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
First off, flats don't sink as easy as many riverdaves place yuppies perceive. The smaller/lighter boats offer a bigger thrill than bigger and heavier with same power. The smaller boats do require some common sense especially on weekends.

My advice is for you to attend a v-drive outing and go for some rides in several different types of boats to figure out what you like best. :cool

883135_630088097006430_1782134207_o.jpg

This flatty has a turbo 400 in it.
886678_630088130339760_1289871759_o.jpg

This is the same style hull as Gofastracer is selling (highly recomended). :thumbup:

269340_630173880331185_1017569897_n.jpg

Do these people all look like they're concerned with sinking from a little wake?

DSC06971.JPG

Small correction Jerry..........Dave Kahn's boat HAD a trans in it BEFORE he pulled the injected deal and dropped in a K motor...

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Rodney
Don't do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't jump into the pond...... Its addicting and will lead to a life of late nights and lots of adult beverages consumed !!! maybe even some naked women if your lucky !!!!

Seriously, there are lots of regatta's going on all summer long, which consist of everyone parking their boats and telling huge lies about how fast they are.... to anyone who will listen to them and who would be more than happy to share with you the finer points of their preferred brand.

Last year at Pirates Cove in September, the Campbell group had their regatta at the same time as the River Rocket group was there. Absolute boat and horsepower overload and just about any kind of go fast river boat you and can imagine.

If your in the area stop and chat with Pete (www.girouxboats.com). He is one of the coolest cats I have met in the boat world and would not try to sell you something other than what you want. jmo...
rb

530RL

Reaction score
I hope you find good honest professional help, BEFORE you throw $20K at some POS. Otherwise, the non-V-drivers will think they really know what's going on.........

I thought the first 20k of any project was the education?

530RL

Reaction score
Rodney
Don't do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't jump into the pond...... Its addicting and will lead to a life of late nights and lots of adult beverages consumed !!! maybe even some naked women if your lucky !!!!

Seriously, there are lots of regatta's going on all summer long, which consist of everyone parking their boats and telling huge lies about how fast they are.... to anyone who will listen to them and who would be more than happy to share with you the finer points of their preferred brand.

Last year at Pirates Cove in September, the Campbell group had their regatta at the same time as the River Rocket group was there. Absolute boat and horsepower overload and just about any kind of go fast river boat you and can imagine.

If your in the area stop and chat with Pete (www.girouxboats.com). He is one of the coolest cats I have met in the boat world and would not try to sell you something other than what you want. jmo...
rb

Sounds like the sand car guys......:D

AzGeo

Reaction score
I thought the first 20k of any project was the education?

GEEZ, I hope not. Mostly you will be looking at "used boats/hull designs from the 1970's", and trying to up date the power, rigging and finish. Education in my world would be everything you learned about your boat, each of it's hundreds of parts and how they all should work together, as it was being built. I would say that 'REAMING' would be the term you were looking for in any project that wastes $20K of hard earned bank. Some would offer that 'it's an art project' and I say to that end "CNC art work does not come cheap". I would also say that "$5K of huge braided hoses and $15K of artfull rigging don't make the boat run any better or faster than a plain/simple good rigging job". However, if you choose to build 'an art project', expect to pay the full freight for the 'show', and don't bitch about the prices ! You asked for a CNC rigger's best 'one off' work. I have done V-drive 'show winning stuff', but I can't take anything in for at least a year because I have a short waiting list of repeat V-drive customers asking me to rig boats for them. (each job takes time and focus) YES, all the parts and materials have gone up in price, but I don't see why it takes $100K to go 100MPH + in a 20'/22' cruiser. I guess it has a lot to do with the boat, the builder and the buyer........

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Small correction Jerry..........Dave Kahn's boat HAD a trans in it BEFORE he pulled the injected deal and dropped in a K motor...

That's really helpful Carl, but at the time I snapped these pics (and for the previous 10 plus years) it ran successfully with the trans in it. Just making a point....:rolleyes

DSC08235_zps159d2c26.jpg
[/IMG]

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
That's really helpful Carl, but at the time I snapped these pics (and for the previous 10 plus years) it ran successfully with the trans in it. Just making a point....:rolleyes

DSC08235_zps159d2c26.jpg
[/IMG]

Just making a correction to your point.................:D

Rickybobby

Reaction score
SS
Anymore info on the ol skool red and white one the blower ??? Rayson Craft maybe ???? That boat is tasty !!!!

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
SS
Anymore info on the ol skool red and white one the blower ??? Rayson Craft maybe ???? That boat is tasty !!!!

Stevens
GM 471
reverse induction Buick

Below the blower, you'll see an air box with two red tubes running down to where the exhaust manifolds are 'supposed' to be, that is an intake manifold. Then, under the airbox, you'll see a polished tube heading down and away fromn the motor toward the stern. That is exhaust flowing up to the center of the motor (where the intake manifold is 'supposed' to be.

My understanding is that drag car racer, TV Tommy Ivo was an early explorer into the reverse flow Buick Nailhead.

The Pelfry brothers have a real nice piece in that Stevens (that their Dad bought and rigged when new).