WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

V-Drive Oil, How Much

bajagrom

Reaction score
I plan on changing the C-500 Oil. How much do i put in? I will prolly use Lucas Oil, or Amsoil.

I had had a small leak (loose nut) or i would just measure how much oil came out.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I seem to recall that there are two levels of plugs in the 500. The lower is the drain and the upper is the fill. Fill till it runs back out of the upper. I think it takes about 2/3 of a quart.

bajagrom

Reaction score
Thanks Carl. I just wasn't sure if I need 2 quarts or what.

steveo143

Reaction score
I seem to recall that there are two levels of plugs in the 500. The lower is the drain and the upper is the fill. Fill till it runs back out of the upper. I think it takes about 2/3 of a quart.

NO, NO, NO, you fill it till it comes out the LOWER hole. A C500 takes 1 1/2 pints, 24 oz.

bajagrom

Reaction score
Changed the oil today and found this. Not sure if the oil has ever been changed. That's what you get in a used boat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 122

bajagrom

Reaction score
So last week I drained the oil in the v-drive. The was dark brown. I put in Lucas oil L9 gear oil in. I took your directions and went with it. I but in 32 oz. I never saw oil come out the top fill hole.

I went to the lake for a shake down. The Campbell started and ran great. Got beat by jet that did well over 75 mph. While running you could smell gear oil. I beached the boat took the floor out, there was gear oil all over the place. I could find a leak or anything. I took the boat back to storage cleaned it up and still can not find the oil leak. There is oil still in the v-drive. But it has metal shaving in it.

My v-drive is C-500 that is water cooled.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I'm no expert but if you put in 32oz that's 8oz more than you were suppose to. It's suppose to come out the bottom hole not the top. You overfilled it and while you were running it it blew the extra out the breather I would think. As far as the shavings I would think pull it apart and see what's going on.:)

vstdispatch

Reaction score
So last week I drained the oil in the v-drive. The was dark brown. I put in Lucas oil L9 gear oil in. I took your directions and went with it. I but in 32 oz. I never saw oil come out the top fill hole.

I went to the lake for a shake down. The Campbell started and ran great. Got beat by jet that did well over 75 mph. While running you could smell gear oil. I beached the boat took the floor out, there was gear oil all over the place. I could find a leak or anything. I took the boat back to storage cleaned it up and still can not find the oil leak. There is oil still in the v-drive. But it has metal shaving in it.

My v-drive is C-500 that is water cooled.

bring it to steveo143 and have him go through it.. you have a spacing issue or something. and you overfilled it