WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My Needles Pics

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I will tell you I didn't shoot every boat.. Tommy Gun was on the scene and he looked like he had that pretty well covered. :) These were the pics I took.

First up My personal top pick of the show.. Wood Deck Schiada restored by Prime Marine!

IMG_2491.jpg IMG_2500.jpg IMG_2504.jpg IMG_2503.jpg IMG_2502.jpg IMG_2499.jpg IMG_2498.jpg IMG_2497.jpg IMG_2496.jpg IMG_2501.jpg IMG_2495.jpg IMG_2494.jpg IMG_2493.jpg IMG_2492.jpg IMG_2505.jpg IMG_2503.jpg IMG_2503.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Next Up Marc Kazabowski's 21 Schiada - Done by Pat's Fiberglass and Todd out here in Havasu! (Feel free to correct me if I made a mistake on that Marc)

IMG_2475.jpg IMG_2477.jpg IMG_2476.jpg IMG_2478.jpg IMG_2479.jpg IMG_2480.jpg IMG_2481.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Steve Liners infamous SR22 (which was also our official beer sponsor / cooler for the show)

This boat was "Best Overall Boat" in the show FYI

IMG_2482.jpg IMG_2483.jpg IMG_2484.jpg IMG_2485.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The ORIGINAL 21 Schiada!! Ironically enough (sans trailer) this boat is ALL ORIGINAL AS WELL!

IMG_2490.jpg IMG_2488.jpg IMG_2487.jpg IMG_2486.jpg IMG_2489.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
WoodDecker's are making a come back! Nice wood deck Sanger
Side note, my dad actually designed and made the tooling for these over the transom logs and headers for his Shovelnose back in the day. He later sold them to Nicson who was quoted in the initial meeting saying "Who the hell would want the exhaust to go over the transom?" :D Back then everyone ran zoomies. Not sure if these are the exact model, but the pipes that squish together in the center just like these was all the pics I saw as a kid. I still have the tooling pictures somewhere.

IMG_2508.jpg IMG_2506.jpg IMG_2507.jpg IMG_2509.jpg IMG_2510.jpg IMG_2511.jpg IMG_2512.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Joe Mitchell's "Coin Toss" Hallett Vector! I know he won something during the show, but I can't remember which category.

IMG_2520.jpg IMG_2519.jpg IMG_2518.jpg IMG_2517.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the schiada took on a life of its own or was it always planned to get that level of restoration. It is definitely a beautiful boat.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sharp Shooters - HONCHO!! Originally a "Peters" race boat, restored by Billy B and I believe Dave Sammons. (correct me if I'm wrong on that Jerry)

IMG_2526.jpg IMG_2524.jpg IMG_2523.jpg IMG_2522.jpg IMG_2521.jpg IMG_2525.jpg IMG_2521.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the schiada took on a life of its own or was it always planned to get that level of restoration. It is definitely a beautiful boat.

If it went to Prime for the restoration, they probably intended for it to be a show stopper when finished.

RD

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Next Up Marc Kazabowski's 21 Schiada - Done by Pat's Fiberglass and Todd out here in Havasu! (Feel free to correct me if I made a mistake on that Marc)

You just fucked up the name spelling! Lol....It's Kasaboski! :thumbup:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The 19 Spectra that is for sale right now.. I loved the old school interior! Hated the exhaust though.. (Just doesn't look right to me)

IMG_2531.jpg IMG_2530.jpg IMG_2532.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Possibly a Patterson? Kind of looked like a rear engine cracker box to me.. Pretty cool project!

IMG_2533.jpg IMG_2534.jpg IMG_2535.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the cool pic's and comment! Mikey and I put in a lot of hours to make it to the show!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
WoodDecker's are making a come back! Nice wood deck Sanger
Side note, my dad actually designed and made the tooling for these over the transom logs and headers for his Shovelnose back in the day. He later sold them to Nicson who was quoted in the initial meeting saying "Who the hell would want the exhaust to go over the transom?" :D Back then everyone ran zoomies.

That is Wayne Herbert's boat that was originally his Dad's. Wayne found and restored it a few years ago. Not everyone ran zoomies back in the day, in fact most boats ran thru transom exits. My dad ran short upswept tips off the logs. I'll show you a pic if you're interested.

Sharp Shooters - HONCHO!! Originally a "Peters" race boat, restored by Billy B and I believe Dave Sammons. (correct me if I'm wrong on that Jerry)

You should know the story by now....:D My boat was one of 3 Peters Biesemeyers. Mine was the ski racer which raced not only the Mead 75 milers but also the catalina race believe it or not. :eek

If it went to Prime for the restoration, they probably intended for it to be a show stopper when finished.

RD

Scott and Mikey are close friends. This resto was 10 years in the making....Here's the same boat in Parker I'm guessing 2001. :thumbup:

It was good to see you guys supporting the show. :thumbup:

hav19

Big Member
Reaction score
It's a Glen-L

I remember the name Glen-L, but I thought they were a company that Sold Boat Plans and/or Kits and you build your own boat? Did they build boats too? If it was a kit is this Boat Restored or New?

BTW This Boat Looked Really Cool in Real Life!!

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
That is Wayne Herbert's boat that was originally his Dad's. Wayne founded it a few years ago and restored.

There is a very cool story attached to Wayne finding and buying his Dad's Sanger...Wayne found it AFTER a sale deal was made and concluded. When Wayne explained that it was his Dad's old boat, the buyer (with the seller's permission) backed out of the deal, money returned and both buyer and seller deamed it to be in the best interest of Karma to sell the boat to Wayne and Jana.

Oh, and the OG Wieand lowrise intake, AFB carb's and Sanger scoop came from the wood decker Sanger drag boat that I foisted (err, umm, sold) to Pat Minegar (RCL's brother) who then foisted the little gem onto Tim Ketlinski of Boise fame and fortune.

:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I know nothing of this boat other then I really liked the smaller wheel / meaty tire combo.

IMG_2514.jpg IMG_2515.jpg IMG_2516.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Pretty Bad ass Sanger Hydro.. Not sure why he's running dual rudders? I really liked the "ghosted" valve covers as well.

IMG_2536.jpg IMG_2541.jpg IMG_2537.jpg IMG_2538.jpg IMG_2539.jpg IMG_2540.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Cole T-Deck - COLE SWEAT Matching the paint lines on the gas cap was a nice touch.. I think it'd be a pain in the ass though.

IMG_2547.jpg IMG_2542.jpg IMG_2543.jpg IMG_2544.jpg IMG_2545.jpg IMG_2546.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The one you have all been waiting to see!

THE NEW 2014 21 CONNELLY!! The hull came out amazing in person!! The floors are gorgeous and we can't wait to see what they come up with for rigging / power!

IMG_2548.jpg IMG_2550.jpg IMG_2552.jpg IMG_2549.jpg IMG_2551.jpg

Reaction score
I remember the name Glen-L, but I thought they were a company that Sold Boat Plans and/or Kits and you build your own boat? Did they build boats too? If it was a kit is this Boat Restored or New?

BTW This Boat Looked Really Cool in Real Life!!

Your right they do kit and plans, not sure who built it, a company called stancraft boats did a lot of work on it, they specialize in all wood boats, they have a cool website, the flat black isnt very flattering, kinda kills it!

Reaction score
That is Wayne Herbert's boat that was originally his Dad's. Wayne found and restored it a few years ago. Not everyone ran zoomies back in the day, in fact most boats ran thru transom exits. My dad ran short upswept tips off the logs. I'll show you a pic if you're interested.

You should know the story by now....:D My boat was one of 3 Peters Biesemeyers. Mine was the ski racer which raced not only the Mead 75 milers but also the catalina race believe it or not. :eek

Scott and Mikey are close friends. This resto was 10 years in the making....Here's the same boat in Parker I'm guessing 2001. :thumbup:

Thanks Jerry, its always a great show and gets better each year! Your right it was 2001!

westair

Reaction score
There is a very cool story attached to Wayne finding and buying his Dad's Sanger...Wayne found it AFTER a sale deal was made and concluded. When Wayne explained that it was his Dad's old boat, the buyer (with the seller's permission) backed out of the deal, money returned and both buyer and seller deamed it to be in the best interest of Karma to sell the boat to Wayne and Jana.

Oh, and the OG Wieand lowrise intake, AFB carb's and Sanger scoop came from the wood decker Sanger drag boat that I foisted (err, umm, sold) to Pat Minegar (RCL's brother) who then foisted the little gem onto Tim Ketlinski of Boise fame and fortune.

:D

That is a great story and a very cool looking boat! .... and Wayne seems very attached to it and rightly so, but I do miss seeing the K-50 ..... it has seemed to have taken a back seat to this one:D

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

RVRKID

Reaction score

Here is the story the was ran in our local paper if you want to have a read:
http://www.dailybulletin.com/lifest...ucamonga-restore-custom-boat-in-time-for-show

RANCHO CUCAMONGA >> Friends Scott Smith and Mike Ramirez unveiled a custom-built 17-foot wood deck Schiada at the sixth Annual Route 66 Hot Boat and Custom Car Show in Needles this weekend.

It was a 12-year journey for Smith who purchased the 1961 Wood Deck Schiada boat in 2000, but after a couple of boating seasons, the Rancho Cucamonga resident decided it needed to be restored.

Everything on the boat has been taken apart and redone.

?We are both very proud of this boat. It will not only become a work of art but a symbol of our friendship that will last a lifetime,? said Mike Ramirez, president of Prime Marine via email.

The duo relied on the help from their friend Glen Booth, who would step in and work on the boat when Smith was not available.

On Friday morning, as the trio were leaving for Saturday?s show, they recounted the journey that began in Smith?s garage and ended in Prime Marine?s warehouse in the northwest part of town the night before the trip.

?It came down to the wire,? Ramirez said, referring to the custom-made upholstery that was installed Thursday night. ?I?m excited that it?s done, and I don?t know what to do with myself.?

The boat, a Casale top loader V-Drive, is powered by a 389 cubic inch Pontiac tri-power motor mounted at the back and is a propulsion system.

It also has custom-made fabricated hardware reminiscent of the 1960s, Smith said.

The top of the boat is original mahogany, which now has a layer of fibgerglass for preservation.

Smith painted the boat, a top half of fiberglass in gold and the lower half in a pearl. There is also a 1960s ice chest, which he found at a swap meet and painted to match. There is also a throw-back trailer with whitewall tires and classic mounted bumper lights, Ramirez said.

Inspiration for the design came from Smith, who grew up attending car shows and wanted to emulate the hot-rod styles from that era.

The duo?s friendship began more than a decade ago when they met through a mutual friend. Over time, Smith and Ramirez, who lived less than a mile away from each other, began working on the boat.

Countless hours were spent restoring the boat, but several months ago, they decided they wanted to have the boat completed for the annual boat show in Needles.

?I?ve never not finished a project. This one just took a lot longer,? Smith said.

Once Smith finished painting, he brought it into the shop where the three would work on weekends. As the date of the show approached, they started working on week nights.

Long before the annual boat show began, Smith and Ramirez would go out to Needles with a group of about 40 other watercraft enthusiasts at least twice a year. Then the Needles Chamber of Commerce approached their group about creating this show. This year will be the first time Smith will show his own boat.

Smith said he let out a sigh of relief once the boat was completed.

?I?m really pleased that I had a vision in my head, and it came out exactly the way I envisioned it,? he said.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Pretty cool Rig. I have always loved the stack tanks on Circle boats.

IMG_2554.jpg IMG_2555.jpg IMG_2556.jpg IMG_2557.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Another wood deck in the middle of getting rig. Anyone know what kind of hull this is?

IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2559.jpg IMG_2560.jpg IMG_2561.jpg IMG_2562.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Blown Connelly, can often be found cruising the Parker Strip! I'm considering using the engine pic looking at the transom of the boat for the next RDP shirt!

RD IMG_2571.jpg IMG_2563.jpg IMG_2570.jpg IMG_2569.jpg IMG_2568.jpg IMG_2567.jpg IMG_2566.jpg IMG_2565.jpg IMG_2564.jpg IMG_2572.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My second TOP PICK of the show was this wood decker "MACHO" It's got a monster Boostpower mill in it. (I like the embossed Boostpower on the scoop.. Can't help but wonder how they did that)

I'm also considering the last pic for the back of this years RDP shirt.

IMG_2580.jpg IMG_2577.jpg IMG_2573.jpg IMG_2583.jpg IMG_2582.jpg IMG_2581.jpg IMG_2579.jpg IMG_2578.jpg IMG_2576.jpg IMG_2574.jpg IMG_2584.jpg IMG_2579.jpg IMG_2575.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I dug the static display in the seats.. and two optimas? Haven't seen that in a flat before.

IMG_2586.jpg IMG_2587.jpg IMG_2585.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just gorgeous.. Right down to the gas pedal. This guy must love cleaning his shit, because it would pass the white glove test anywhere I saw.

IMG_2593.jpg IMG_2588.jpg IMG_2589.jpg IMG_2591.jpg IMG_2590.jpg IMG_2592.jpg IMG_2594.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
I had read this when you originally posted. I have just seen other resto's grow exponential and wondered if this was the case here.
Here is the story the was ran in our local paper if you want to have a read:
http://www.dailybulletin.com/lifest...ucamonga-restore-custom-boat-in-time-for-show

RANCHO CUCAMONGA >> Friends Scott Smith and Mike Ramirez unveiled a custom-built 17-foot wood deck Schiada at the sixth Annual Route 66 Hot Boat and Custom Car Show in Needles this weekend.

It was a 12-year journey for Smith who purchased the 1961 Wood Deck Schiada boat in 2000, but after a couple of boating seasons, the Rancho Cucamonga resident decided it needed to be restored.

Everything on the boat has been taken apart and redone.

?We are both very proud of this boat. It will not only become a work of art but a symbol of our friendship that will last a lifetime,? said Mike Ramirez, president of Prime Marine via email.

The duo relied on the help from their friend Glen Booth, who would step in and work on the boat when Smith was not available.

On Friday morning, as the trio were leaving for Saturday?s show, they recounted the journey that began in Smith?s garage and ended in Prime Marine?s warehouse in the northwest part of town the night before the trip.

?It came down to the wire,? Ramirez said, referring to the custom-made upholstery that was installed Thursday night. ?I?m excited that it?s done, and I don?t know what to do with myself.?

The boat, a Casale top loader V-Drive, is powered by a 389 cubic inch Pontiac tri-power motor mounted at the back and is a propulsion system.

It also has custom-made fabricated hardware reminiscent of the 1960s, Smith said.

The top of the boat is original mahogany, which now has a layer of fibgerglass for preservation.

Smith painted the boat, a top half of fiberglass in gold and the lower half in a pearl. There is also a 1960s ice chest, which he found at a swap meet and painted to match. There is also a throw-back trailer with whitewall tires and classic mounted bumper lights, Ramirez said.

Inspiration for the design came from Smith, who grew up attending car shows and wanted to emulate the hot-rod styles from that era.

The duo?s friendship began more than a decade ago when they met through a mutual friend. Over time, Smith and Ramirez, who lived less than a mile away from each other, began working on the boat.

Countless hours were spent restoring the boat, but several months ago, they decided they wanted to have the boat completed for the annual boat show in Needles.

?I?ve never not finished a project. This one just took a lot longer,? Smith said.

Once Smith finished painting, he brought it into the shop where the three would work on weekends. As the date of the show approached, they started working on week nights.

Long before the annual boat show began, Smith and Ramirez would go out to Needles with a group of about 40 other watercraft enthusiasts at least twice a year. Then the Needles Chamber of Commerce approached their group about creating this show. This year will be the first time Smith will show his own boat.

Smith said he let out a sigh of relief once the boat was completed.

?I?m really pleased that I had a vision in my head, and it came out exactly the way I envisioned it,? he said.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The last pics are basically the interior of the 50' Outer Limits Cat brought out by Jeff Murray. I didn't get an overall shot of the boat unfortunately. Pretty amazing piece of hardware!

That about sums up my pics for the Needles boat show.. Hopefully Tom will fill in my blanks with his pics in another thread. :) I would've taken more, but I found myself pretty much anchored to the cooler the entire time I was there so I didn't get to see the whole thing.

IMG_2596.jpg IMG_2606.jpg IMG_2605.jpg IMG_2604.jpg IMG_2603.jpg IMG_2602.jpg IMG_2601.jpg IMG_2600.jpg IMG_2597.jpg IMG_2598.jpg IMG_2599.jpg IMG_2595.jpg IMG_2607.jpg

RVRKID

Reaction score
Great pics RD, thanks!!:thumbsup

FlatNv

Reaction score