WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for a motor

riverracerxxx

Reaction score
My buddy is looking to re-power his pontoon. Currently has a low hour '08 Merc 60hp 4s Bigfoot. Looking for a mid-90s 115 2 stroke. His current motor is worth more than the 2 stroke so he's looking for some one that has one to make a trade. Maybe some one who has a shop or knows of a shop that would be interested.

BE454

Reaction score
My buddy is looking to re-power his pontoon. Currently has a low hour '08 Merc 60hp 4s Bigfoot. Looking for a mid-90s 115 2 stroke. His current motor is worth more than the 2 stroke so he's looking for some one that has one to make a trade. Maybe some one who has a shop or knows of a shop that would be interested.

I have an 85HP Merc two cycle? It's a 1976...

BE454

Reaction score
looking for a little more power.

10-4. I would be interested in the 4 stroke tho if he is looking to sell or trade something else... We cant use two strokes up in the sierra lakes/tahoe. The 60 would be a bitchen solution.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Honda 150 that I'm looking to upgrade on my tritoon. It still has 2 years remaining on the factory warranty and I'd be willing to sell it for $10k

PM or call if interested.

riverracerxxx

Reaction score
10-4. I would be interested in the 4 stroke tho if he is looking to sell or trade something else... We cant use two strokes up in the sierra lakes/tahoe. The 60 would be a bitchen solution.

Ill ask my buddy how he feels about a straight sale.

riverracerxxx

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Honda 150 that I'm looking to upgrade on my tritoon. It still has 2 years remaining on the factory warranty and I'd be willing to sell it for $10k

PM or call if interested.

Very decent deal on that outboard. Unfortunately its too much motor for the boat.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Very decent deal on that outboard. Unfortunately its too much motor for the boat.

Thanks anyhow.

BTW.....just because a pontoon says is rated for "X" horsepower on the placard that is not binding by the CG....those ratings are only valid as a limitation on monohulls 21' and under......according to Boat Cop in another thread.

riverracerxxx

Reaction score
Thanks anyhow.

BTW.....just because a pontoon says is rated for "X" horsepower on the placard that is not binding by the CG....those ratings are only valid as a limitation on monohulls 21' and under......according to Boat Cop in another thread.

Interesting. I did not know that. Good to know.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Thanks anyhow.

The builder put 'his self proclaimed limit of liability' during construction. Even if the pontoon is over 20' (oal) the builder has 'certified' that the boat was constructed to USCG specs when built, and only if it has the max power listed or less. If the builder did NOT put a 'max power rating', then any amount of power could be applied and the builder could be enjoined in any liability action. If the builder's design specs show ".120" wall 5052 aluminum construction with 6 X 5/16" bolts for up to 60 HP",(specific construction specs) and you overpower, it will be hard to go after the builder. If the builder put no 'max power figure', then he left himself wide open.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
My neighbor has a 21' two tube pontoon that came with a 50HP 2 stroke. When he installed a 90 HP 4 stoke, it almost tore the transom off the boat. (in the driveway) The boat has a USCG listing of "gross weight/# passengers/load" and a "max outboard power rating" of 50 HP. Now that the owner has 'beefed up the motor pod mounting' and put the boat on the water for use. The weight difference between the 50/2 stroke and the 90/4 stroke has caused the REAR cross member of the FLOOR to be under water at rest. So the USCG, and local waterway patrols may not 'stop and site' for this kind of idiot, they may just be too busy. BUT, the LIABILITY if and when an accident happens will clearly go on the Captain (at the time) and the modification 'above and beyond' the original design certification when built. These are just the people who will TRY to blame the builder, when they did it to themselves.

riverracerxxx

Reaction score
Yeah thats why we're looking for an older 2 stroke. The weight difference between the two is minimal.