WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smoking TRI TIP....any suggestions one time temp....etc?

Blueduck

Reaction score
Title says it all....Just picked up a smoker and not sure how to smoke a TRI TIP......Thans for the suggestions :D

Forensic

No Title
Reaction score
Pick your rub or marinade. Best if you can let it sit for a day but not necessary. Now fire up the smoker. Once its stable at 225 put the meat on. Its ok if your temp runs a little (no more than 240-250), just don't let it drop below 225. I pull my tri tip rare (115-120). It only takes a couple hours depending on size. I wrap it in foil and a beach towel then place the bundle in my soft sided cooler. The meat will continue to cook for another 10 minutes or so bringing it up to the perfect temp. I let it rest for at least 20 minutes, it will stay hot for an hour wrapped like this.

Enjoy.

If you don't have one, get a good thermometer.

Blueduck

Reaction score
That sounds good.....I also read that after pulling from smoker....to sear it on a grill then pull it and wrap it?? Have you tried that method...Thanks

Forensic

No Title
Reaction score
That sounds good.....I also read that after pulling from smoker....to sear it on a grill then pull it and wrap it?? Have you tried that method...Thanks

I usually make sandwiches when I smoke a tri-tip so no I haven't.
If you like the slightly burnt end texture and taste that a hot grill gives I see nothing wrong with it. If you're slicing it to serve as a main course, I would do it. Its probably really good. I just don't want to fire up another grill for 10 minutes of searing for sandwiches. Be careful though, the meat will already be cooked. Maybe pull it at 100 and let it gain another 15 degrees on the grill. Your guess is as good as mine on that one.

Blueduck

Reaction score
Thanks for the info....I will try it this weekend...:thumbsup

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Tri Tip is very tender even when it is cooked at high heat (unlike brisket) so as long as you don't overcook it it will be great.

ptc

Reaction score
Tri-tip is one of my favorites on the Treager Smoke.... and its so easy - A HOTBOATER could even do it.... lol

First thing-- marinade marinade marinade!!!! cant express that enough - If it has a fat cap on one side then just cut aside to one edge, but dont remove it! put it in a freezer bag I full bottle of italian dressing, couple tablespoons of tamatio sauce, couple tablespoons of A-1 Sauce and some mesquite seasoning. stick it in the fridge overnight or for at least 24 hours. Pull it out about 1 hour before cooking and let it get to room temp.

Heat up the smoker to 225 (good Temp) and lay it on there with that fat side wrapped around it facing down.... cook it like the first man said (time is less important than internal temp), pull it at 120, cover it and let it stand for 15-20 mins.... and enjoy!

On a Treager you cant mess things up - even overcooked a bit it is better than anything out there..... :thumbup:

Blueduck

Reaction score
That is what I just picked up...the Treagar Texas Smoker.....I will be smoking this weekend...Thanks

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
You can go to Traeger.com and go to their recipes/instructions for more info

Forensic

No Title
Reaction score

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score

This ^^^:thumbsup

I smoke at low temp 180 for 4 hours (large tri tip) then move it over to a gas or charcoal grill and sear it until it registers med-rare. AKA the reverse sear method. I cook 4 or 5 at a time this way and my guests have always enjoyed.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
BTW be sure and get a good meat thermometer. One that you leave the probe in and it reads outside the smoker:thumbup:

Blueduck

Reaction score
Tri Tip turned out pretty good.....thanks for all the info.

I also did baby back ribs a different day....i used the 3-2-1 method and was not really happy with how they turned out....no where near a fall of the bone....any suggestions for ribs? Thanks

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score

I also did baby back ribs a different day....i used the 3-2-1 method and was not really happy with how they turned out....no where near a fall of the bone....any suggestions for ribs? Thanks

IMHO, the best ribs are the ones that DON'T fall off the bone...... :)

P.S. I just noticed that you are at Hidden Shores. What spot are you on? I was at HS for almost 16 years and still have a park model for sale there (A60).

Blueduck

Reaction score
IMHO, the best ribs are the ones that DON'T fall off the bone...... :)

P.S. I just noticed that you are at Hidden Shores. What spot are you on? I was at HS for almost 16 years and still have a park model for sale there (A60).

I use to be in D67....but pulled out this year...sold boat.....We will be back 2-3 times a year just for weekends!!

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
don't you know you go to HELL for smoken a T/T :grumble: BBQ slow and always do 2 so you can eat 1 while its cookn :D

BACK2BIGRIVER

Reaction score

Everything you will ever need to know about smoking ribs right here. The only thing I do different is I smoke at 275* not the 225* he recommends. Play around with the smoker temp until you find what you like.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

relaxalot

Reaction score
Everything you will ever need to know about smoking ribs right here. The only thing I do different is I smoke at 275* not the 225* he recommends. Play around with the smoker temp until you find what you like.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

I did the 321 method and it turned out bad... threw them back on at 275 for another 45 minutes and they were good. Low and slow is not always good. I agree you need to put some heat to the ribs.

relaxalot

Reaction score

I have tried that method... the secret is to leave them on for longer or a higher temperature until they "pull back" on the bone. You need the temp to carmelize the meat. I left mine on for 1 hour longer and then the magic happened.

relaxalot

Reaction score
Ok.. did the ribs again and voila..

Slather with mustard and then apply your favorite rub.. I used Salt Lick... 3 hours at 225 degrees every half hour spray with apple juice or pineapple juice.

Then double wrap in foil with brown sugar, Pineapple juice and honey and 3 -4 pads of butter and put back on for 1 hour and 15 min..

Then back on the grill coated with sweet baby ray coating. 225... for another hour.. turn up heat to 275-300 until temp measured between bones is 199-203 degrees. I got this from bbq forums.. it seemed hot for me but I did it and it was perfect. I cooked them for about 5-1/2 hours total. I finally cooked some ribs that were better than Houstons.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Half the time I pull my marinated Tri Tip’s like a pork shoulder. Cook it the same way. 225 until internal temp is 170 then foil wrap it with apple juice and take it to 203 internal still at 225. Wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler for an hour. Open it up and shred it with 2 forks and mix some of its juices in it and a little bbq sauce. Eat it on rolls etc. Really good