WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2014 SJP Jeep Rubicon JK Build

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
So took the plunge and picked up another hobby. I have always wanted one of these and after they came out with the well equipped 4 door models it was a no brainer for a guy with a family. Bought the unit in LHC at Anderson. Was able to negotiate a better price here than in OC. 2014 JK, Leather, 4.10, Heated Seats, 710 NAV Uconnect, full color match, White for the hot dessert.

So before doing this I talked to a bunch of people with Jeeps but the thing that got me the most motivated was Cole Trickle's build thread. It was awesome - spot on, cool, etc. I recently had a good friend buy a fully modified new JK off the lot. It is really nice but this is really not my style. On the other hand I am not a shade tree mechanic to the level of CT. :D So my approach to this build was this - buy the unit loaded with what I wanted. Research the parts, look and feel, build / bolt on in my garage what I can, and sub out the rest (lift / suspension).

So I got the Jeep and pretty much just drove it stock from LHC to my garage in HB. After having some nice trucks and performance cars -- I am not going to lie to you guys driving this on the 40 is just OK. When I lift it and put 35s it pretty much is going to kill the road-trip-ability.

Got it home - all stock
IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

It fits in the garage barely!! :D

IMG_0183.jpg

Install SPOD switch modules

IMG_0131.jpg

Strip off stock bumpers and rockers.

IMG_0187.jpg

Getting ready for powder coat today and lift on Monday.

IMG_0188.jpg

GET SOME

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412388749.552690.jpg
Welcome to the Huntington Beach all white jeep club!

Reactions: SJP

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I decided to put ARB compressor on board air and it fits nicely under the passenger seat with the help of Carolina Metal Masters trick billet bracket. I tied it into the spod switch 1 and we are off. While on the CMM site I could not pass up some really nice billet grab handles / go pro mounts. They also double as side mirror mounts when the doors are off. Work well. :thumbup:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Install Poisen Spyder crossmember brace and evap skid.

image.jpg

While I had the passenger seat out I took out the driver side and put in a locking drawer.

image.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Nice.....you have some nice parts going on. Keep the build going[emoji2]

Singleton

Reaction score
They are a fun toy to have. Just getting started as well, but got a deal last week, so it came with a lift and 35's.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412433090.864655.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Nice.....you have some nice parts going on. Keep the build going[emoji2]

Thank you - think the driving factor on getting this build done at this point is my lack of garage space. :D

Hopefully he does black methods so the three of you can start your own jeep club...haha[emoji12]

Those look pretty slick but I am going with aluminum Raceline bead locks with white powder coat rings. They problably will get demo'd pretty quick but we will see...

They are a fun toy to have. Just getting started as well, but got a deal last week, so it came with a lift and 35's.
Nice Jeep!

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Nice build Sam.....like everything you do it's top shelf all the way:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing the new buggy tearing up the hills around Havasu:D

GET SOME

Reaction score
What lift are you going with... Looks great so far

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Nice build Sam.....like everything you do it's top shelf all the way:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing the new buggy tearing up the hills around Havasu:D

Thank you - really will need to figure out how to drive this thing crawling. Do not have a lot of experience with it but, should be fun.

What lift are you going with... Looks great so far

So I am going to have a local shop near my house do it. I looked at a bunch of different options. Since I am sticking with 35s I decided on terraflex 3 inch lift with fox shocks. I have been told most of this will all go out the window after I start using it. :D

Singleton

Reaction score
Thank you - really will need to figure out how to drive this thing crawling. Do not have a lot of experience with it but, should be fun.

So I am going to have a local shop near my house do it. I looked at a bunch of different options. Since I am sticking with 35s I decided on terraflex 3 inch lift with fox shocks. I have been told most of this will all go out the window after I start using it. :D

Driving it will be the fun part. We should find some trails and practice together.

Good choice on the lift. Mine came with the Rubicon Express Super Flex short arm kit and i don't see that lasting in its as is condition. Already thinking of picking up the long arm upgrade kit and moving to Bilstein shocks.

First time in awhile that I can speed hours looking at options to add to a vehicle. It has been fun surfing the web looking at all the stuff you can do.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Nice thread. Really considering getting one for my wife but at what point is it not a daily driver. Have a hard time making payments on something I would use maybe once a month. The Cherokee is basically paid off I'm leaning more towards throwing money into that and seeing what I could build... Any thoughts?

Paul65k

Reaction score
Nice thread. Really considering getting one for my wife but at what point is it not a daily driver. Have a hard time making payments on something I would use maybe once a month. The Cherokee is basically paid off I'm leaning more towards throwing money into that and seeing what I could build... Any thoughts?
Just a thought.......at 26 you should be throwing those $$ into a savings account so you can pay cash for all your cars when you're 40 and then for the rest of your life.......Just sayin :D

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I actually have the money in my savings to buy one cash but i don't think id do it. Is there any benefit to buying something cash? My mom and dad have plenty of money and he just financed his new truck? What are the pros other than the interest I guess

Paul65k

Reaction score
I actually have the money in my savings to buy one cash but i don't think id do it. Is there any benefit to buying something cash? My mom and dad have plenty of money and he just financed his new truck? What are the pros other than the interest I guess
If I tried to explain I'm afraid you just wouldn't understand :D

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Driving it will be the fun part. We should find some trails and practice together.

Good choice on the lift. Mine came with the Rubicon Express Super Flex short arm kit and i don't see that lasting in its as is condition. Already thinking of picking up the long arm upgrade kit and moving to Bilstein shocks.

First time in awhile that I can speed hours looking at options to add to a vehicle. It has been fun surfing the web looking at all the stuff you can do.

TCHB and Paul65K know a lot of local trails to watch us scratch up our new jeeps :D.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Not the drilling and tapping I prefer :D but I have NFL on in the garage and a little peace and quite before my youngest birthday party.

image.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score

If you are making more with the money in an investment account then you finance. If you are not, then saving the $$ and paying cash later is smarter.

JRS1939

Reaction score
It all boils down to interest rate on borrowed money fellas

Paul65k

Reaction score
If you are making more with the money in an investment account then you finance. If you are not, then saving the $$ and paying cash later is smarter.

It all boils down to interest rate on borrowed money fellas
I'm probably not as financially sophisticated as you guys but I live by the simple rule of good debt vs. bad debt and it's very, very simple (like me).

Good debt is the debt that will allow you to control APPRECIATING assets, and bad debt is that debt which you have on DEPRECIATING assets.........it's just that simple for me, sorry but I don't have a PhD in economics just old fashioned ideas :cool....................sorry to derail your post here Sam, it was not my intention :D

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Must be something in the water/ wife bought this last week::thumbup:
I didn't know what method rims were last year, now I have 3 sets of 'em/lol

image.jpg
image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I'm probably not as financially sophisticated as you guys but I live by the simple rule of good debt vs. bad debt and it's very, very simple (like me).

Good debt is the debt that will allow you to control APPRECIATING assets, and bad debt is that debt which you have on DEPRECIATING assets.........it's just that simple for me, sorry but I don't have a PhD in economics just old fashioned ideas :cool....................sorry to derail your post here Sam, it was not my intention :D

Yeah - I am with you on this. I am just a farm boy from the country so really I kind of listen and keep my ears open and mouth shut. My grandfather said if you need to go to the bank for a loan you do not need it or you are getting in over your head. That being said everyone has a different way going about their business and I respect that.

LR2 nice jeep - looks all setup. :thumbup:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

I will say I cannot imagine my wife driving this thing as a daily driver. Even stock it is not practical for a young mom with kids. It would be a total PITA.

Paul65k

Reaction score
I think that was similar thought process that Cole Trickle had and now he's driving a Chevy Volt......Hmmm....Maybe it doesn't work so good as a daily driver with all those mods :hmm

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I will say I cannot imagine my wife driving this thing as a daily driver. Even stock it is not practical for a young mom with kids. It would be a total PITA.

Thanks for the kind words guys,

Yep, we waited for our 2 yr old to be done with strollers before ditching the flex. She drives on a lot of construction sites,usually with my truck ha ha. Our 2 and 4 yr old dig it. Mommy has the "big jeep" and daddy has the "monster truck" :D

As for paying for it, to each their own, my wife buys a new company car every several years, so it makes one of our cars an easy deal (free):)
Its a starting point to see if we start jeeping.
AEV 2.5" lift/bilstein 5100's
AOE bumpers
Warn 8k winch

Skid plates/rocker guards are on short list:thumbup:

Singleton

Reaction score
So when is the first adventure in Havasu?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think that was similar thought process that Cole Trickle had and now he's driving a Chevy Volt......Hmmm....Maybe it doesn't work so good as a daily driver with all those mods :hmm

I would say a 4door jk with a 3" lift and 35's is a good all around vehicle if you want something to take off-road. I would say you need to be prepared for the gas mileage if you are driving 60 miles a day.

If your buying to be cool and not use it there are much better choices.

I got the volt to offset the gas cost. Keeping the wear and tear off a 60k jeep was the bonus...haha

My wife wouldn't be caught dead driving a girly car so the girl with kids in a lifted vehicle never affected me. My sister daily drives the white rubicon get some posted above and I think she likes it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

View attachment 369811
View attachment 369812

Nice looking rig. Been thinking of getting one for a daily driver for a few years and then retire it to full time off road in Havasu and being towed behind our Moho. I sold my old school YJ a few months ago because I wanted an automatic with AC and the four doors would be a plus.

How bad are they for driving every day?

Paul65k

Reaction score
Nice looking rig. Been thinking of getting one for a daily driver for a few years and then retire it to full time off road in Havasu and being towed behind our Moho. I sold my old school YJ a few months ago because I wanted an automatic with AC and the four doors would be a plus.

The guys I know that run 33's and below (Rubicon 17's run 32's) seem to think the newer ones with the Pentestar motors are very good and well behaved on the road and they are OK off road, Rubicons actually don't do bad with the stock tires as they have lockers and a lower gear ration in the transfer case.......this is the set-up I run with a 2" lift and Bilstein shocks and use this as an everyday driver around town.

I go on some reasonable runs with the local 4-wheeler group (level 3 and some 3+) and haven't been stuck yet........although there have been a few times where I would have loved to be running 37's with a 6" lift :D

Start slow Walt and then add as you find yourself wanting more and more capability.....because you WILL get there if you do any serious off-roading IMO :D

Singleton

Reaction score
I use mine to drive to my office in El Segundo from Carlsbad weekly (105 miles each way), but then my commute is .25 mikes from the Hilton to the office.

LowRiver2

Reaction score

Come by some weeknight Walt and you can take this one for a spin. Wife likes it, I've had it on the freeway twice now, it isn't "peppy" by any means but can get out of it's own way for sure for passing, etc.

I haven't logged mpg yet, but I can say our Flex wasn't anything to write home about either (was around 16-18 around town).

Cole Trickle is definately the go to person for experience/advice on these things and I already owe him some beer for asking green horn questions:D Hoping to pay back the favor Tday week in Parker and go on some trails with him in Earp.

I'm sure the rubicon would have been a overall better choice but this one had the extras on it, and for the amount of low key stuff I expect the wife to want to do, it fit the bill. She also can drive this more to job sites instead of putting miles on my truck:thumbup:. My buddy came up with a pretty cool pulley system to get the hard top off by himself in his garage in 8 minutes. I"ll post up some photos/parts used when I visit him.

He was talking about being able to make the rear seats recline with the addition of some washers. Has anyone here done this?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My wife drives from chino to Yorba Linda everyday I believe less than 20 miles. Her best friend just got one so of course now she wants one.

Singleton

Reaction score
I haven't logged mpg yet, but I can say our Flex wasn't anything to write home about either (was around 16-18 around town).

I'm sure the rubicon would have been a overall better choice but this one had the extras on it, and for the amount of low key stuff I expect the wife to want to do, it fit the bill. She also can drive this more to job sites instead of putting miles on my truck:thumbup:. My buddy came up with a pretty cool pulley system to get the hard top off by himself in his garage in 8 minutes. I"ll post up some photos/parts used when I visit him.

He was talking about being able to make the rear seats recline with the addition of some washers. Has anyone here done this?

I average 17 when driving to the office, when I keep it around 70, goes to 16 at 76.

Please post picks of your buddy's garage setup. I was thinking about something like this for my garage, so very interested.

We need to get back to building SJP's Jeep in this thread, but hearing about the amount of Jeeps everyone has, thinking a trail ride event needs to get scheduled.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Come by some weeknight Walt and you can take this one for a spin. Wife likes it, I've had it on the freeway twice now, it isn't "peppy" by any means but can get out of it's own way for sure for passing, etc.

Cole Trickle is definately the go to person for experience/advice on these things and I already owe him some beer for asking green horn questions:D Hoping to pay back the favor Tday week in Parker and go on some trails with him in Earp.

Look me up over turkey day, we will be racing and relaxing at the blue water rv park for the entire week.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
So JK is @ the lift shop today. I will post pics when I pick it up. Last pieces of odds and ends were dropped off @ powdercoat today. I expect them back on Wednesday. I did get the winch d rings and fairlead caps and ends loop for the winch today. I am hoping that my light bar gets shipped out this week from Ricky at Maxed out. If not I will pick it up this weekend when I head back to LHC. Hopefully lift turns out good today.

SJP

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Truck did not come back from shop today. Will be done tomorrow. Got these pieces for the winch.

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Waiting on a Y pipe. Jeep looks good though. Picked up the spare.

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Checked in on the powder coat. Parts cooling off and will be ready for pick up in morning.

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Finally got Jeep back from the shop. Time to put everything back together.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score
Looks good!! Have fun installing all the parts today.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
looks great......

Take lots of pictures once you get it complete because it will never be the same after the first trip in the rocks:D

I would flex it out with a fork lift to make sure the bump stops are correct. It sucks tearing off your factory painted fenders.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
So I have been tied up for a few days and just got back to it.

Started to mount the lighting brackets and rigid stuff. The radius 50 I had in mind is not going to work so I put in an order for a standard e series 50. Got the diffused and pillars mounted.

image.jpg

Mounted the front bumper with some D2s mounted in them. Color match powder coated brackets. Trying not to scratch anything. Know this is all going out the window when I get on the trail but hey it feels right now. :D Winch is being a wench and is requiring extra shims for clearance which requires you guys guessed it longer bolts for mounting. :D I am also babysitting the boys tonight. I think I see a fire in the distance coming from their room. :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kids in bed and all appears to be quite. Winch mounted and wired. Fully operational and working great. Now the easy part spooling the synthetic wire..... Honestly feeding the wire thru the spool in order to set the puck was a big PITA. Any garage excercise that sends you in the kitchen for the dish soap as a last resort is a cluster f!?k. :D All is well and it now appears I can attempt to pull my a&& out of a sling literally with this zeon 10k winch.

image.jpg

Next up sliders for tomorrow and hopefully can get this wrapped up this weekend. I am sick of having this stuff on floor and need to clean up the garage.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I took a couple of shots of the side profile before bolting everything back on. I have no idea how this even drives I have been pretty busy but took it to main st. For dinner last night and it was pretty cool.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score
Looks good. What is the next set of upgrades